• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Horses into Galicia

DenWhite

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon-SdC 2018 / SJPdP - SdC 2022.
My wife and I are commencing C/F from Leon in June. There is a reference in the Brierley Guide between Herrerias and O'Cebreiro to hire horses from Al Paso stables for the climb up. Has anyone chosen to do this and/or is the option still available as sounds interesting for something a bit different to experience?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife and I are commencing C/F from Leon in June. There is a reference in the Brierley Guide between Herrerias and O'Cebreiro to hire horses from Al Paso stables for the climb up. Has anyone chosen to do this and/or is the option still available as sounds interesting for something a bit different to experience?
For more re the horses up to O Cebreiro see these earlier threads--

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/renting-horses-to-climb-ocebreiro.32546/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/horse-hire-for-8km.47873/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/renting-a-horse-for-small-portions.51604/

Good luck and Buen camino to you both!

Last edited:
Yes, my son and I did it. It was beautiful, and wonderful respite for me (I had some bad blisters.) We were early in the season (early April, Holy Week), and so waited for another family to join us. So I helped tidy up the horses a bit -- You don't have to do this, we own horses and were happy to be with equines for an hour or so. They will put your packs in a car and have them up at O'Cebreiro for you. Or you can keep them on while you ride. -- The horses were in good health- they were a bit muddy and shaggy (they were loosing their winter coat). Their hooves were in good condition and the owners are fond of them. The man running the stable trotted up the hill beside us. On his own feet, not horseback, as all the horses were taken. The horses know exactly where they're going and are gentle hacks.-- Al Paso has a Facebook page. --

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, my son and I did it. It was beautiful, and wonderful respite for me (I had some bad blisters.) We were early in the season (early April, Holy Week), and so waited for another family to join us. So I helped tidy up the horses a bit -- You don't have to do this, we own horses and were happy to be with equines for an hour or so. They will put your packs in a car and have them up at O'Cebreiro for you. Or you can keep them on while you ride. -- The horses were in good health- they were a bit muddy and shaggy (they were loosing their winter coat). Their hooves were in good condition and the owners are fond of them. The man running the stable trotted up the hill beside us. On his own feet, not horseback, as all the horses were taken. The horses know exactly where they're going and are gentle hacks.-- Al Paso has a Facebook page. --
Thanks for this insight Kellymac.

Thanks for this info, i'm planning next year to take my husband and 2 eldest grand kids, and the horse ride up to OCebreiro is something they are looking forward to.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I met some pilgrims last year that wanted to ride up to O Cebreiro, but had trouble connecting with the horse owners. Eventually a few of their group decided to wait until the next day to ride the horses.

I and three camino friends did this in May last year. Not being a horsewoman of any kind, I found it both nerve-wracking and exhilarating...the horses are beautiful and know the path very well, and Victor was wonderful guide, especially for a nervous rider. I’d recommend it in a heartbeat.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

A great idea but we gave it a miss as it was the horses lunch break and we decided not to wait

Nancy and I rode the horses in late September last year. The trip up was fun and the horses are gentle and kind to the rider. Except that they constantly wanted to grab a bite of grass beside the trail which required a continually snug rein to let them know that was a bad habit. But we were so exhausted from forty days on the trail that the steep climb to O'Cebreiro and into Galicia seemed undoable. These horses helped us continue on to Santiago when we felt we had reached our endurance limits.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I loved it. I had walked there from Trabadelo in the rain covered with a poncho, so I was understandably a little sweaty. There was one horse available so I opted to ride. As we climbed the hill to O'Cebreiro the temperature dropped rapidly and we were in a sleet/snow squall, I swear I had ice cycles inside my poncho when I dismounted and headed for the warmest place I could find for a bowl of soup and some vino tinto.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back