• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hospederia San Martin Pinario are the rooms in hostal ok

MickMac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Frances 2018
Frances 2018
Ponferrada-Santiago
July 2019
Just wondering are the double rooms in the Hostal OK I stayed in hotel before.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, I have stayed in the pilgrim rooms in the top floors a few times - basic, cheap, central, with your own bathroom and a single bed. I have not stayed in a double, but I have stayed in the hotel part of the Pinario, which were much more modern and much more expensive - still basic though as they are meant to reflect the history of the place. When I am in Santiago I only need basic accommodation as I am out all day enjoying the city anyway!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I wouldn't stay anyplace else. It is quiet, it is beautiful and so atmospheric. Stayed at another Albergue my 1st night in Santiago on my 1st Camino and got zero sleep. The streets were loud with partiers all night long.

Far better than ok!
December 9, 2011 late at night during a sleet storm I returned to Santiago de Compostela and walked into San Martin Pinario without any reservation. My poncho and pack were coated with ice. The rather elegant concierge said "Good evening Madame I trust that you ARE a pilgrim" and promptly handed me a key to a regular private room for which I was only charged the 23€ pilgrim rate!
There was no need to show any Credencial since no regular tourist would be out walking during such weather!! Such serendipity was sybaritic.

During my next 3 arrivals in SdC I stayed as a pilgrim and loved it.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow, sounds wonderful and what a great location! I was just looking at their website. It seems that there were no rooms available after May. Hopefully that’s because they aren’t accepting bookings yet instead of that it’s already all booked.

Or is where pilgrims stay different from booking on the website?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here is the current info re pilgrim
albergue rooms in San Martino Pinario
as of 5 February 2022.

We offer pilgrims rooms and the price are 25€ per night for single and 40€ per night for twin. Breakfast included
Best regards

Francisco J. Chaves
Dpto. Reservas
Hospedería San Martín Pinario

Seminario Mayor
Plaza de la Inmaculada, nº 3. C.P. 15704
Santiago de Compostela.
Teléfono: +34981560282
E-mail: reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu

I tried to book Pinario for a few nights mid June and it appears they may be closed for some renovations?…
And lots of days are already booked during April and the first week of May. This is on their own booking website and not on Booking.com. This is rather sad. It's one of my favourite places, too. Booking is possible again from 1 January 2023, up to a year from today.

San Martin.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I never used any booking site but emailed my request. Perhaps you could retry using this email directly.
reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu
I wonder whether the notice also applies to the pilgrim rooms. As I understand it, the notice applies to the bookable rooms which are on other floors and are more expensive than the pilgrim rooms.

I've stayed at the wonderful San Martin Pinario several times on the 4th (pilgrim) floor and if possible will always stay there! The first time I stayed, my room was opposite the elevators so it was quite noisy. Since then I've requested a room at the far end of the corridor where it's always been very quiet. In addition to the wonderful buffet breakfast (included in the price), there is a guest lounge near the reception desk. A quiet place to relax, have a coffee or a drink.

Yes, as @mspath mentions, to book you must email directly to the address she's noted. The 4th floor pilgrim rooms aren't listed on their website or on booking.com. They've always replied promptly to my request.

I have stayed in the pilgrim rooms
I have stayed in the hotel part of the Pinario, which were much more modern and much more expensive - still basic though as they are meant to reflect the history of the place.
Do the pilgrim rooms have a shower/bathroom?

I know only the rooms in the hotel part. I was impressed how they had managed to squeeze a toilet/shower room into these former monastic cells. I quite liked this combination of old and new. I have stayed in other monasteries that had been converted to hotels but kept the simplicity and austerity of the former monastic cells. Their rooms had more space, and one even had a wash basin, but they all had shared toilets/showers.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, the pilgrim rooms all have their own ensuite bathroom with a shower and toilet, and fluffy towels!
Thank you. I still find it difficult to visualise what the difference is. I found our (hotel) room quite small and simple. Would these photos be accurate and describe the difference between pilgrim room on the 4th floor and the other rooms on other floors. Do all the pilgrim rooms have such small high windows perhaps?
(Photos are not mine)
San Martin.jpg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wow, sounds wonderful and what a great location! I was just looking at their website. It seems that there were no rooms available after May. Hopefully that’s because they aren’t accepting bookings yet instead of that it’s already all booked.

Or is where pilgrims stay different from booking on the website?

The pilgrim rooms are not bookable on their website - you have to call or email them for the pilgrim rooms. In June of 2019 I emailed them 3 days before my arrival in Santiago and was able to secure two rooms for myself and a friend for two nights. In September 2019 I was able to reserve 5 days ahead.

The pilgrim rooms are not bookable on their website - you have to call or email them for the pilgrim rooms. In June of 2019 I emailed them 3 days before my arrival in Santiago and was able to secure two rooms for myself and a friend for two nights. In September 2019 I was able to reserve 5 days ahead.

Thanks for the heads-up.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
San Martin Pinario cheaper rooms according to the reception staff, are the same as the hotel rooms but just less well maintained. like you, I’ve only stayed in the hotel section in a twin bed room which was simple and small enough. If you email them your queries, they respond pretty quickly but pilgrim rooms need advance booking and fill up fast. I once had to book the room before choosing my walk dates as they were so booked up! I love staying there but reviews are a bit hit and miss.

Attachments

• IMG_0648.jpeg
    IMG_0648.jpeg
    936.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0649.jpeg
    IMG_0649.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 115
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I emailed last week to make a reservation for a pilgrim room in August and it was “completo” already. Maybe next time. I found a room in a small hostal not far from there.

I wrote to request a few different dates in June of this year and was told that all pilgrim rooms in May and June ( and hotel rooms as well ) are booked, no availability. I was also told that because there is no credit card info held, if a pilgrim decided not to walk or not to stay there, there is no consequence for simply not showing up. No one bothers to cancel. They are expecting 'no shows' for the reservations, but there's no way to know what will be available on the day/days you need.
I've stayed in the pilgrim rooms 5 times. Quiet stays a few times, rowdy obnoxious groups of pilgrims on other stays that echo in the halls. The wifi is also not good on most of the 4th floor ( but not a bad thing to ramble for a connection and interact with others )

Last edited:
I wrote to request a few different dates in June of this year and was told that all pilgrim rooms in May and June ( and hotel rooms as well ) are booked, no availability.
Thank you for this info for May and June 2022.

I wonder whether this means that they reserve the pilgrim rooms for youth groups, seminarists, groups from parishes and similar who travel to Santiago by any means during this Holy Year 2022 or whether they would still accommodate foot pilgrims who walk in (without email reservation)?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you for this info for May and June 2022.

I wonder whether this means that they reserve the pilgrim rooms for youth groups, seminarists, groups from parishes and similar who travel to Santiago by any means during this Holy Year 2022 or whether they would still accommodate foot pilgrims who walk in (without email reservation)?
In the past one could walk in and provide proof via pilgrim passport, but these rooms have become extremely popular over time and are largely reserved via email ahead of time. I don't recall seeing very large groups, especially youth groups on that floor, but groups of 4-5 companions. Again, if there is a reservation in place that no one shows up for, there would be a room available. No one can predict what that likelihood would be. As I recall, check in was late afternoon anyway...not sure to what time they hold a reservation before releasing the room. In my experience in booking ahead for myself and two new walkers this year in June, it has been difficult finding accommodations on dates that I needed at the locations I needed. I began booking in December, using multiple booking sites, direct emails, direct websites, phone calls...it will be an interesting Holy Year walk with the inability to predict how COVID will affect travelers and regions. Still...we try :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You will be lucky to get room in 2022
Buen Camino

I've got all of my rooms booked for May and for September.
I will tell you that the sooner you do it, the less it will cost.
For example, the hotel I'm putting my group in at Burgos was under €70 when I booked.
NOW, it is over €150 per room.
Don't wait.

OOPS! I just realized this thread is specifically for SMP.
Those prices don't change.
There still ARE rooms available but I'd be making those reservations now.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
San Martin Pinario cheaper rooms according to the reception staff, are the same as the hotel rooms but just less well maintained. like you, I’ve only stayed in the hotel section in a twin bed room which was simple and small enough. If you email them your queries, they respond pretty quickly but pilgrim rooms need advance booking and fill up fast. I once had to book the room before choosing my walk dates as they were so booked up! I love staying there but reviews are a bit hit and miss.
I never found them less well maintained and I stay there every year since 2003.
They are small and modest, but clean. My sheets were nice and I got clean towels each day.
I have stayed in the regular hotel also - those rooms are bigger and more beautiful, but the maintenance in my opinion, in the pilgrim rooms, is excellent. The cleaners can see going down the halls daily.

There is a small closet for your backpack and hanging clothes.
They have provided blankets in the past. Not sure post-COVID.

The bathrooms are tiny but sufficient.
The showers are also tiny but sufficient.
There are little windows for a breeze and view if you wish.
I love those rooms!

My experience is that pilgrims either love or hate the pilgrim rooms there.
When you consider the huge buffet breakfast that is included in the price of the pilgrim rooms, I think it's a pretty good deal.

I always tell my pilgrims ahead of time that these are old monk cells, they are quite modest, but clean, and fine for a pilgrim. Most love them. I think I only had one father/daughter who decided they were "like jail cells" and left at their own expense. lol!

The hotel room where we stayed in San Martin Pinario gave me the feeling of staying in a former monastic cell. There was not much space, even when you included the shower room area. Those other rooms with their narrow and long windows high up in the wall, their shape and position ... I wonder whether they were storage rooms or similar. Does anyone know?

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The hotel room where we stayed in San Martin Pinario gave me the feeling of staying in a former monastic cell. There was not much space, even when you included the shower room area. Those other rooms with their narrow and long windows high up in the wall, their shape and position ... I wonder whether they were storage rooms or similar. Does anyone know?
I have been told they were monk cells, though I am not positive.
Maybe someone who lives there (Ivar?) might know?

I was excited to have finally booked in Santiago at San Martin Pinario for the very first time in May 2020. Unfortunately the pandemic left me canceling over 20+ lodgings; thank goodness for the simplicity and ease provided by booking.com. I look forward to another opportunity to stay there in the hopefully not too distant future.

They are modest but clean.
They ARE noisy - as there is a big hall outside that are often full of chattering groups of pilgrims.
I stay there every year and love them and the room comes with a free buffet breakfast.
A great value.
I've stayed on the pilgrim floor on many occasions and never experienced noise of any type. Maybe after sleeping in dorms I became immune 😉

They are very OK ! I´ve been sleeping there for many times. Feel it a little luxury after walking and only staying in albergues along the way. Last time was September 2019 for 25E incl breakfast, single room. Just book your room and be happy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The rooms at San Martin Pinario were cells. San Martin was the second-largest monastic complex in Spain, second only to El Escorial. There was a pharmacy and medical care, workshops, a huge seminary, a real estate operation, massive choir and liturgical program Way up on the 4th floor were likely the postulants, the youngsters just starting out. Stay around longer and you get a better bunk lower down.

I stayed at the more standard-level rooms on the first floor while in Santiago a couple of weeks ago (January). There was a radiator, but NO HEAT. I could see my breath inside the room.

I have stayed at San Martin many many times; as a Benedictine myself I feel it's kinda homey. But I will not stay there again in wintertime!

I've stayed on the pilgrim floor on many occasions and never experienced noise of any type. Maybe after sleeping in dorms I became immune 😉
Perhaps. I am particularly sensitive to sound.
It also just depends when you're there.
Hoards of schoolchildren make it a bit more noisy. :).

I stayed at the more standard-level rooms on the first floor while in Santiago a couple of weeks ago (January). There was a radiator, but NO HEAT.
Yes, that is what I remember, too. We stayed on a 15th of November, already two years ago, in one of the 'hotel' rooms. There was a radiator in our room but it remained cold during most of the day and night. I think that you could warm up in the cosy ensuite shower room, though.

I loved my stay and would love to return but perhaps that is the reason why my memory banks did not store it under "high end hotel room". ☺️

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't know the answer to your question, (edit-but I see that Rebekah knows about that ;-) but the two times I stayed in the hotel rooms, there was a double bed with white duvet, plenty of space for one person to move around, larger windows than on the 4th floor, with a lovely view of the gardens, luggage stand, dresser, small closet, and bathroom with shower. The bathroom was a little more upscale then the ones on the pilgrim floor - tho' those have always been clean and functional.
The pilgrim rooms I've had on multiple occasions were cleaned daily, have had a comfortable single bed with white duvet, table, small closet, smaller windows with views of green hills and sunsets, and a bathroom with shower.
One wonders if the 4th floor rooms were originally for the younger monks, perhaps, who could manage the stairs better than the older ones? And the older ones, being more senior in "monkdom" got slightly larger rooms... Who knows about these things... (edit-Rebekah does!) I'm just grateful for San Martin Pinario and all who keep it operational. ❤️

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
San Martin was the second-largest monastic complex in Spain, second only to El Escorial. There was a pharmacy and medical care
Below is part of the view from my window at San Martín de Pinario. I had it as my forum avatar for a while. Loved it.
(Seen from a 'hotel' room; not on pilgrim floor)
SMP.jpg

Last edited:
The rooms are more than OK! I and my wife stayed there after our Camino. There are two single beds instead of one double bed. My friend and his wife also stayed at pilgrim double room, and he told me that he tried but the single beds cannot be moved to make a double bed as beds are "anchored" to the floor! I love staying there!

Some photos of my favourite corner room at the very end of the corridor. Despite how the bed looks in the photo, it was not sagging :) Extremely comfortable! Beautiful views from that room!

View attachment 117940 View attachment 117941 View attachment 117942
Yes i found the views from pilgrim room over roodtpps of Santiaho de Compestella amazing. That and the amazing breakfast were a great way to end the walk from Santandar in 2010. My first of 10 caminos. Starting my 11th from Lisbon in late April this year. Cant wait!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some photos of my favourite corner room at the very end of the corridor. Despite how the bed looks in the photo, it was not sagging :) Extremely comfortable! Beautiful views from that room!

I stayed in this very room. As others have said, extremely quiet and very clean. I was there in not quite mid May and the room was VERY, VERY COLD. Perhaps because at the end of the line for the heating system?? Anyway, I'd stay again, but ask for a different room if it were still that cold.

The bathrooms are the main difference between the Pilgrim rooms and the others, with the shower and toilet being much older but still very functional. The rooms are the same size and windows smaller and higher up. In addition to the buffet breakfast San Martin normally has a three course evening meal with wine, water and bread for 11 Euros

I was also told that because there is no credit card info held
I had to give them my credit card number when I booked 7 rooms for a group.

So it looks as though groups may have booked out a lot of 2022.

But, yeah, good place to stay at the end of a camino if one can get a booking. Good value for a city.

But I wouldn't have supper in their restaurant again though. Not great.

Breakfast was good, and included in the cost of the room.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This stream is making me homesick for Santiago. Love it....

We stayed in other hostals and hotels, then discovered San Martin. (Thanks Laurie) Wouldn't stay anywhere else. So pilgrimish. Basic yes, but clean, the pilgrim rooms, and I love being up under the eaves with seagulls, sunsets and fabulous views across the rooftops towards Finisterre. Some plusses others mentioned... wonderful buffet breakfast included with the pilgrim price, being able to send a suitcase ahead which will be there waiting for you, so central, walking in through those entrance doors and feeling special, meeting up with pilgrim friends in the lounge room.

However, the 'cells' in the roof are mighty hot in a heat wave. In 2018 we transferred down into a hotel room because of the heat. That still didn't have air conditioning but was cooler and smarter.

Enjoy it, all you lucky pilgrims walking and staying there this year.

I stayed two nights (non-pilgrim room (there were none available when I booked)) at HSMP in mid October upon arriving to Santiago, then left a few things in storage there while I walked on to Muxia and Finisterre. Took the bus back and spent another night there before flying to Barcelona, then home. I absolutely loved it at HSMP, and will hopefully stay again when(ever) I return. The location, facility and staff were wonderful.

I stayed for five days in San Martin Pinario in November, 2021: three days in the Hospederia and two days, booked in advance, in a room on the pilgrim floor. I arrived three days in advance of my booking because a combination of lack of available space in accommodation along the Sanabres and cold rooms, as there was no heat in many places, drove me on to finish my camino. I was warm enough in both locations in San Martin Pinario, although I did not expect 24 hour heating. The size of the rooms was similar, although the room on the pilgrim floor was much more spacious, since it contained only one bed, while the other room had two. The bathroom in my Hospederia room contained a modern, circular shower stall. It was tiny, and I burned myself trying to shower in it. My back hit the hot water tap while I moved a bit, and I was scorched (not seriously) before I could turn around and adjust the setting. It was such a relief to move to the pilgrim floor, which has a spacious square shower area: lots of room to move. And I appreciated the breakfasts, which cost me 6 euros a day until I moved upstairs. I also enjoyed the view from the fourth floor. I don't know where I will stay if I cannot find a room in San Martin Pinario on my next camino. I really like the pilgrim rooms.

I never found them less well maintained and I stay there every year since 2003.
They are small and modest, but clean. My sheets were nice and I got clean towels each day.
I have stayed in the regular hotel also - those rooms are bigger and more beautiful, but the maintenance in my opinion, in the pilgrim rooms, is excellent. The cleaners can see going down the halls daily.

There is a small closet for your backpack and hanging clothes.
They have provided blankets in the past. Not sure post-COVID.

The bathrooms are tiny but sufficient.
The showers are also tiny but sufficient.
There are little windows for a breeze and view if you wish.
I love those rooms!

My experience is that pilgrims either love or hate the pilgrim rooms there.
When you consider the huge buffet breakfast that is included in the price of the pilgrim rooms, I think it's a pretty good deal.

I always tell my pilgrims ahead of time that these are old monk cells, they are quite modest, but clean, and fine for a pilgrim. Most love them. I think I only had one father/daughter who decided they were "like jail cells" and left at their own expense. lol!
I agree, I've never found them less maintained. They were always very clean with the same duvet and fresh sheets and towels as in the main hotel. I've stayed in both. They've just not been 'renovated' and I think that's part of the charm. The views from way on top are outstanding, the included breakfast always plentiful. Would have loved to stay there again this June and share this unique accommodation with my companions.
And yes, Annie, like you I begin looking for accommodations almost a year ahead. My difficulty this year was finding accommodations for three together. Next time, I'll simply book my room alone and others together unless renting a small apartment or planning alburgue stay.
Walk on Annie! <3

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Am so sad. When I wrote in Nov. and asked about availability in May. they had Pilgrim rooms and regular rooms available. Wrote to reserve a room for 2 nights in May, at the end of Jan. and got no answer, but I think it was the wrong email. Wrote again today, using the reserva email as posted here in this thread. Nope, now they are full. I asked about a waiting list, offering my CC so they could book it right away if someone canceled. Nope, they don't have waiting lists. I can just keep checking back.
Made a reservation instead on booking dot com at Loop Inn which can be canceled up through 21 May and will just send San Martin an email every week to see if a room opened up.

This stream is making me homesick for Santiago. Love it....

We stayed in other hostals and hotels, then discovered San Martin. (Thanks Laurie) Wouldn't stay anywhere else. So pilgrimish. Basic yes, but clean, the pilgrim rooms, and I love being up under the eaves with seagulls, sunsets and fabulous views across the rooftops towards Finisterre. Some plusses others mentioned... wonderful buffet breakfast included with the pilgrim price, being able to send a suitcase ahead which will be there waiting for you, so central, walking in through those entrance doors and feeling special, meeting up with pilgrim friends in the lounge room.

However, the 'cells' in the roof are mighty hot in a heat wave. In 2018 we transferred down into a hotel room because of the heat. That still didn't have air conditioning but was cooler and smarter.

Enjoy it, all you lucky pilgrims walking and staying there this year.
yup, you’ve got to love the lounge. :)

Simple room with a million dollar view :)

Attachments

• 226B38A8-5675-4212-8C36-0BB1D1C302A9_1_201_a.jpeg
    226B38A8-5675-4212-8C36-0BB1D1C302A9_1_201_a.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 81
  • C32BC28A-0635-43DB-A887-568983488B6C_1_201_a.jpeg
    C32BC28A-0635-43DB-A887-568983488B6C_1_201_a.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 69
  • tempImageuIvLcS.png
    tempImageuIvLcS.png
    10.2 MB · Views: 69
  • tempImageytCQct.png
    tempImageytCQct.png
    10.2 MB · Views: 73
So what’s the second best place place to stay in Santimago?
On my first 2013 Camino before I found San Martin a Camino Angel lead me to Pension Santa Cristina. A beautiful place not far from the Cathedral. It’s a two bed room with a sink. A very nice shared full bathroom with shower available. Here are a few photos.
69513AF9-98B9-46D4-8A32-8810FE9ECC68.jpeg 1B530E80-1FD9-49B3-BA3A-44ADFBA858A0.jpeg 595EF7F6-EDC3-4C87-BAB9-D7B26C63A0FB.jpeg 8476F8D4-AB46-4986-ABC5-16E0FD68F1D9.jpeg
On my last Camino in 2019 I stayed at The Last Stamp until my pilgrim room became available at San Martin. It’s in a great location, close to the cathedral. I enjoyed my time there as well. When will you be going in pilgrimage?

EDIT: I found a hostel/alburgue on booking.com and just in case, I booked it.
It’s super close to the Cathedral and The Pilgrims Office. The reviews are really good. I can’t give my two cents but was willing to give it a try. I’ll cancel now that I have reservations at San Martin. The name is: Santiago KM-0

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Does anyone know how far in advance they accept reservations?
I’m not sure but yesterday I emailed them asking for reservations in September and I was able to book a room today, twice. For when I arrive from Camino Portuguese and then when I come back from Finisterra. Don’t wait, email now. 😎 Feeling blessed. 😊

Perhaps. I am particularly sensitive to sound.
It also just depends when you're there.
Hoards of schoolchildren make it a bit more noisy. :).
No not sensitive. I agree to the noise. My first year many teenaged girls were staying in all the rooms around me with no chaperone in site. Running in and out of the rooms, slamming doors, laughing, talking loudly. After several hours and way into the midnight hour, I finally said something. They decided to settle down after our little chat. 😂

My second time Hahaha … well see for yourself. May 5, 2016 Acension Day!
This went on all weekend including music (thump, thump, thumping) until at least 4:00a. But hey, it’s a celebration I can get on board with.
View attachment IMG_1883.MOV

Last edited:
On my first camino I stayed in San Martin Pinario and was assigned a room just opposite the elevator. There is a seating area there, and my first night, when I really needed to sleep, a group sat down there and visited. I staggered out of my room in my usual camino nighttime disarray, and demanded/begged for silence to get some sleep. They rapidly departed. If I looked like what I felt like, I would have run away from me.

Albertagirl, are you going back this year? What route?
I don't know. I am waiting for a calling. Last year, I did not buy my air ticket until June. At present, I am most interested in walking the Olvidado, but I have not gone far enough in planning to know where I would begin or how I would end the route, except that I would be going to Santiago, following the Olvidado as my major route. Last year's covid regulations were numerous and onerous. Until Spain and countries that I might fly through decide that it is safe to travel without so many restrictions, I prefer not to face that stress again. I will go if I feel called.

When will you be going in pilgrimage?
I was hoping to start the Frances at the beginning of April. From SJPP or Roncevalles. But now I’m worried I’m going have to delay it a month or more because of some issues I’m having at home. And what I’m worried about is that I’m going end up at the height of the walking season on a busy year. Which was exactly what I was trying to avoid.

I’m planning a bit of a meandering Camino, and I can’t imagine booking things months in advance. I might know what week I’d get there, but what night? Anyway, I’ll have to just trust that it all works out, although I doubt I’ll be able to get rooms or beds in the really special places.

Oh well….

I was hoping to start the Frances at the beginning of April. From SJPP or Roncevalles. But now I’m worried I’m going have to delay it a month or more because of some issues I’m having at home. And what I’m worried about is that I’m going end up at the height of the walking season on a busy year. Which was exactly what I was trying to avoid.

I’m planning a bit of a meandering Camino, and I can’t imagine booking things months in advance. I might know what week I’d get there, but what night? Anyway, I’ll have to just trust that it all works out, although I doubt I’ll be able to get rooms or beds in the really special places.

Oh well….
Have faith, dear Pilgrim. Whenever you are walking. If there are no beds at an Albergue you have private pensions, youth hostels, and Hotels in case of. One year I was out very late and all albergue beds occupied and I was ready to give up! Te hospitalera came with a madras and I had a nice sleep on the floor! There are often alternative possibilities which still makes me believe in he good people. Buen Camino

Oh well….
If I may offer some encouraging words. "The Camino Provides." "Trust in the Camino" "Let Go and Let the Camino." This forum is great but it can cause a lot of over thinking. Just Breathe. :) I'm sorry you may have to postpone your Camino but it will all work out no matter when you go. Also, if you can, please toss out any preconceived notions of where you would like to stay because the Camino always has a way, always of putting you in a better place, the place where you are meant to be. To meet someone, to motivate or inspire someone or to be inspired, etc....

When you do decide to go, may I suggest you book a room before your departure, at least in Santiago on Booking.com. Always use the free cancellation option. This will give you the security of having a room and the flexibility to cancel if you know you'll be arriving earlier or later. It takes approximately 33, 34 or 35 days to walk the Frances from SJPdP. Also, when you arrive in Santiago, go the San Martin Penario and ask if they have a pilgrims room available. I've been fortunate to do this in the past and was able to get a room, same day.

While on the Camino you will get a feel of where you'll be in a day or so and you can always look at bookings.com or Gronze and book a place then, if you so wish or you can continue to wing it and have faith you'll get a bed. Booking ahead doesn't need to be done a month in advance.

My first Camino I didn't know this forum, I didn't book ahead, I didn't even know it was a thing. I didn't have my cell phone. I always got a bed. Maybe the last bed (the perks of walking solo) but always a bed. I was so green on my first Camino, so free. It was magical. So MAGICAL!! :)

I didn't book ahead at all until 2019 while on del Norte and then again after Sarria when I transferred to the Frances. Granted it wasn't a Holy Year but still pre COVID. Wishing you the best Camino ever. :)

Last edited:
Rather than use booking dot com, you might also try reserving with the Albergues yourself.
They have all been very accomodating, asking only to be told ahead of time if you need to cancel, which is very generous. You save the albergues from having to pay a commission fee to booking dot com. That said, for a 39 day Camino that I am starting in April, I did book 9 nights using their services. So, anything that works for you is great but was surprised at how easy it was to reserve a place on my own.

Really nice. I stayed there with a group of pilgrims in 2019 and the reform of the rooms made them really good. Some strange sediment in the water.

My only problem with my pilgrim room was the rather large key for the door. Breakfast (free to guests) and reasonably priced dinners were great

They are modest but clean.
They ARE noisy - as there is a big hall outside that are often full of chattering groups of pilgrims.
I stay there every year and love them and the room comes with a free buffet breakfast.
A great value.
very noisy indeed I agree but now I stay La Salle very small room with BR but definitely better place to stay at.

So what’s the second best place place to stay in Santimago?
If you don’t mind being just a bit further away from the Cathedral, the Seminario Menor offers similar monk cell rooms, but the shared shower and toilet rooms are down the hall. They also had dorms (no bunks), and a large self catering kitchen in the basement.

Not really the second best, but if you if really wanted a monk’s-style room….

Every time we have a meeting in Santiago that's where we go down. The double rooms are very good.
We will be there on 11/12/13/03/2022 for the FEAACS GA.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Having some good luck. Wrote again yesterday, requesting a room and they were able to give me a single room with bfast for one of my days in Santiago. Will have to keep writing every week to get the 2nd day and/or to switch to a pilgrim room. Not perfect, but it is progress and it feels ok to at least have my 1st night in Santiago be there. Wish they had a wait list.

This thread has reminded me that I want to stay at San Martin Pinario again, after my pilgrimage this fall. I decided to go ahead and book. Now I have three nights booked, from my planned arrival in Santiago on Nov. 30, Dec. 1-2, then on to Madrid on Dec. 3 and flight home on Dec. 4. Still only 25 euros a night for my own room on the pilgrim floor, breakfast included. I have a cozy, secure feeling already. If you are going this year, you might consider booking. I might just go ahead and book Hostal Viky in Barajas, to have my last night in the country booked for a place near the airport: not nearly as nice as San Martin Pinario, but a convenient location with transport to the airport provided. I am beginning to believe that I am going this year.

I love San Martin Pinario but this last stay disappointed me as the bar in the Pilgrim lounge had been closed for 2 years since Covid began and the TV was not working . No one spent time there . Cold and a bit sad.

I love San Martin Pinario but this last stay disappointed me as the bar in the Pilgrim lounge had been closed for 2 years since Covid began and the TV was not working . No one spent time there . Cold and a bit sad.
I think that "cold and a bit sad" is a fair summary of much of the last year on camino, as institutions did what they could to prevent the spread of covid. However, I was blessed to be staying in San Martin Pinario when a wonderful concert was held in the church there, which I had never seen before. The concert was all stringed instruments. I think it was held to support a local charity. It was the best concert that I had heard and seen in my life, so far, directed and led by a brilliant young women, a violinist. Maybe gifts like that make up for the, temporarily, lost ordinary comforts which we look for in favourite places.

Just a quick update. I am walking the Norte (today first day out of Bilbao) and yesterday wrote to reserve a pilgrim room for two nights at the end of my Camino. I was surprised that there was room on both nights. I guess the big rush comes a week later gearing up for the Day of St. James. Me happy.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Perseverance pays off. I kept emailing them every week and was able to reserve my 2nd night there in May. I continued to write them every week to see if a pilgrim room was available, but it never was. It was still very lovely to stay there in May and I was so happy to walk into this grand place. The front desk staff is super friendly and helpful. Had very restful nights sleep and a great breakfast each morning from the buffet.

Haha, I just reserved 2 nights in a Pilgrim room for end of May. Had to adjust my schedule as they already are getting booked!

I was prepared for the spartan "decor' of the pilgrim room I had in October. It definitely was old and, though basically surface clean, the floors (travertine perhaps) had decades of what I call "creeping crud" inching its way from the walls and now a foot into the room.

No problem with all that. I slept in many such antiquated places.

But what I could not bear up against was the mattress, with its decades-old metal coils struggling to pierce their way to freedom through the wafer thin ticking, and the whole contraption sloping at a cruel angle from side to side. I tried sleeping with my head at the foot, I tried flipping that sucker over, I wedged a towel underneath me - all to no avail, it was torturous.

At 3:00 am I'm on my phone securing alternative accommodation for the following night and donated back my paid second night on the pilgrim floor of San Martin Pinario.

Dear friends,
Here I am in Santiago. I walked in about noon today, some days before I expected to reach here. When I inquired about extra accommodation here, beyond what I had booked, I was told that the number of pilgrim reservations is low, so there is space for me. I am at home here and shall enjoy Santiago until it is time for me to go.

Here I am in Santiago. I walked in about noon today, some days before I expected to reach here. When I inquired about extra accommodation here, beyond what I had booked, I was told that the number of pilgrim reservations is low, so there is space for me. I am at home here and shall enjoy Santiago until it is time for me to go.

I'll be there in a week or so. Hoping the heating will be suitable for a December night.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'll be there in a week or so. Hoping the heating will be suitable for a December night.
When I asked at the desk about being able to stay extra time (paying the usual charge) the man at the desk spoke up, suggesting that I might be moved to a better heated room if the weather turned colder. However, I just now put my hand out to touch the heating pipes, and they're getting quite warm. And there's a thick, woolly extra blanket in the closet, sealed after cleaning. Aside from the noisy youngsters, this is a rather comfortable place to sleep on a late November night.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.