• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hospital de Orbigo

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
I remember walking through small farms to get to Hospital de Orbigo. When we arrived we thought we were hallucinating! There were thousands of people in medieval costumes, colourful tents with pennants flying, knights on brightly decorated horses jousting in a field next to the bridge. The town was packed and the revelry went on until the early hours of the morning.
This was the annual Paso Honroso de Suero de Quiñones fiesta which will be held in Hospital de Orbigo on 7th and 8th June.
This from http://www.entertainmentinspain.com

The Medieval Jousting of Passo Honroso (the Honourable Pass) are held in memory of the feats of Don Suero de Quiñones in the 15th century. Don Suero had made a vow to his love Leonor to fast on Thursdays and to wear an iron ring around his neck. But he wanted to be released from the promise, and so he proposed that he would break 300 lances of the foreign knights who crossed the bridge. His challenge was never completed: after breaking only 166 lances the judges took pity on him and released him from the vow. Since then, every year on the first weekend of June, the village of Hospital de Órbigo remembers that day when Don Suero and his attendants pitched themselves in contest with a group of knights. The tournament is one of the main acts of the games, which include a parade of standard bearers and mounted knights before the great battle, and the ladies' medieval dancing and folk music. The medieval market and the different games and contests that fill the streets, attract more than 15,000 tourists every year, to mix with the townspeople who dress up in mediaeval costumes.
The end of the festivities is celebrated with a public mediaeval feast, including entertainment from minstrels, jugglers and saltimbanquis (circus performers), and followed by an impressive medieval torch-lit procession.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
That sounds like a magnificent time! I would love to be there for that!
Buen Camino,

Hi Sil,

Thanks for reminding me of this wonderful place. Last year I walked from Leon intending to stay at St Martin, but decided to continue not really knowing where I was heading to. It was the 1st June as I walked through what I thought was a small village, there in front of me was this magnificent bridge. They were just setting up all the tents on the Jousting field. There was lots of hussle and bussle about, with the locals setting up craft stalls, bunting strung across the streets, the atmosphere was wonderful, with an air of jollity amongst everyone.
I stayed in the private Albergue St Miguel it was a lovely place with a courtyard. In the evening we went out for a meal, the stall holders were all set up and the Vino Tinto was following! I have to admit I walked to Astorga with a hangover....not advised! A few of the pilgrims decided to stay another day, I wish I had, as the atomosphere that evening was fantastic. I can imagine it's a brilliant fiesta!!
In Santiago I met one of the pilgrims that stayed and she said that some stayed the whole weekend! Oh wonderful memories!
Marie

Camino072.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back