• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hospitalera wannabe needs advice on volunteering

katja

Hi! I've just come back from my first Camino and I'm already planning my next one. I would also like to volunteer in one of the hostels, preferably in Galicia but anywhere really, next August. Can anyone advise on how to go about it? I live in London. Many thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You can contact the CSJ for official training. :) Lucky you. One of the albergues near O'Ceibreiro is also looking for volunteers....can't recall the name right now but they have posted here.

Kelly

I don´t know where you live, so I can´t tell you exactly where to go to get training. Check your national pilgrim organization, as groups in Canada, UK, USA, Germany, Italy, France, and especially Spain all offer interchangeable training opportunities.

Buen suerte!
Rebekah

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am sure that there will be a great need for volunteers next year, being a Holy year. I have been thinking about it myself, but am putting off deciding until after my first Camino walk in September.

From the "American Pilgrims on the Camino" on the Via de la Plata:

Opportunities for American Pilgrims in Fuenterroble
Fuenterroble might seem like any other very small pueblo through which the Caminos pass . Here, as a result of our grant and our collaboration with Don Blas and his albergue, we have the opportunity to actually belong, to be welcomed, to participate with and be a part of not only the Camino experience, but the Spanish pueblo experience. We can give back to the Camino in a specific and personal way while broadening our horizons and enriching our personal lives. Work on your Spanish – the greater the effort you make to communicate, the more profound your experience.

Hospitalero – There is no organized program for obtaining or scheduling hospitaleros in
Fuenterroble; yet there is a great need. When I arrived last September, there was no hospitalero
in residence, only a couple of guys who live there for lack of other options. An Italian then arrived
to serve for a month. Again, when we arrived for Via Lucis and the dedication, there were local
volunteers, but no hospitalero. Blas was concerned that he was leaving for Rome in three days
and there would be no one to “mind the store”. It can certainly be a two-person job. You need
only to contact Ana (info provided below) and advise her of the dates you’d like to serve.

Group Activities – There are several planned throughout the year, such as Via Lucis, described
herein. See the website, http://www.viadelaplata-fuenterroble.com for a list with dates and degree of difficulty. Their most ambitious undertaking (which includes food and lodging in public places such as gymnasiums), many years in the planning, will take place 10-21 August. A walking pilgrimage, complete with wood statues, carts and burros, from Assisi to Rome. The cost is 300 euros, plus airfare. Our members are welcome to participate. Within the next few weeks, Ana will provide me a detailed schedule in pdf format which I will be happy to forward upon request. If you are interested, you should make a deposit and reserve space promptly. Participants are coming from all over Spain.

Projects, Ongoing, and Specific – Don Blas has indicated that he will always welcome and can
easily accommodate those who wish to share their talents within the rectory/albergue, on Camino clean-up or improvement, or restoration projects within his five pueblos. Whether a group of two, five or ten, again, via email to Ana, if you advise dates and areas in which you are able to
contribute, there will be work awaiting you when you arrive. Artistic pilgrims have often returned to decorate the walls with murals, stonemasons have endless work there, the many rooms and
common areas are always in need of a good cleaning, there are several areas to be cleared for
patios or gardens, lots of burro harnesses and leather equipment to be soaped, carts to be
repaired – opportunities for everyone to give back to the Camino.

Cherie Pagett, Director, cpagett@pagetts.com

Contact information for ACASAN, Asociacion de Amigos del Camino de Santiago – Via de la Plata:
http://www.viadelaplata-fuenterroble.com.
Email: aviaplata@terra.es, attn: Ana (in Spanish only)
Snail mail:
Don Blas Rodriguez Boyero
C/Larga, 37
37768 Fuenterroble de la Salvatierra (Salamanca) Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back