• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hospitalero in Grañon (4th time)

Pingüigrino

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Aragones, Vasco del Interior, Baztanes. (Frances Winter, La Plata, Camino de Invierno, Mozarabe, Norte, Primitivo.)
Hi friends.
I proud and happily can say now I´ll be your hospitalero in Grañon´s parish albergue of S. Juan Bautista from the 6th to the 16th of March. All off you whom choose to stay there for the nigth, sharing dinner and breakfast with fellow pilgrims and mysel are more than wellcome.
If you are only passing by, fell free to visit the albergue, to share a cup of coffe or a glass of red, use the facilities etc.
The stove will be on, the place clean and desinfected and the hospi happy to see you.
Buen Camino to you, all honest people.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi friends.
I proud and happily can say now I´ll be your hospitalero in Grañon´s parish albergue of S. Juan Bautista from the 6th to the 16th of March. Alloff you whom choose to stay there for the nigth, sharing dinner and breakfast with fellow pilgrims and mysel are more than wellcome.
If you are only passing by, fell free to visit the albergue, to share a cup of coffe or a glass of red, use the facilities etc.
The stove will be on, the place clean and desinfected and the hospi happy to see you.
Pingüigrino,
What happy news this is! I join all your readers in wishing you a meaningful 10 hospi days in a place so many of us have enjoyed during past years.

Carpe diem!

Very nice !
enjoy your stay and hope you will meet many of the forum members in the albergue.

and in this order.. I will be volunteer at the AAC in Santiago e.g. at the Pilgrims Office from 28th of March to 12 th of April coming.
Hope to see you there.
Don’t forget to stamp your credential twice a day , for walkers from the last 100 kms to Santiago and the bikers the last 200 kms to Santiago.
There was a big thread about this theme on the Portugues section of this forum the last few days.

buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So glad to hear you are returning! We hope that we may also be able to serve there in the future again--maybe this winter or next? We hear they have a new pellet stove so you only have to carry the fuel up once a day now! Best wishes rom us to all in the community as well.
Hi, mates. That stove was alredy working two years ago, during my last time of volunteriing there.
The good new it´s that the main air heater is brand new. Now we can efficiently heat the main hall in a few minutes without believing that we were inside a helicopter.
That allows to ventilate and disinfect the facilities no dying of cold later.
Wish you the best for your next serving period.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm sorry we will miss you - we should get to Grañon around March 24th. Last time we saw you was in Samos in 2016. Enjoy your time in this very special albergue and if you go to Bar Teo, give Alberto and Maria our best regards!

Hi friends.
I proud and happily can say now I´ll be your hospitalero in Grañon´s parish albergue of S. Juan Bautista from the 6th to the 16th of March. All off you whom choose to stay there for the nigth, sharing dinner and breakfast with fellow pilgrims and mysel are more than wellcome.
I am due in Granon on 3rd April if everything goes to plan on the Camino..do I just turn up or booki in advance..many thanks

Hi friends.
Thank you!💕

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm sorry we will miss you - we should get to Grañon around March 24th. Last time we saw you was in Samos in 2016. Enjoy your time in this very special albergue and if you go to Bar Teo, give Alberto and Maria our best regards!
Hey , palmah, nice to talk to you again. Long time since our last meeting, that cold day of that cold winter in that cold albergue. Only the hugs both of you gave me where warm that day.
Luckily Grañon is much more friendly and I could welcome the pilgrims the way we have learn to love.
For sure a hot beverage will be offered to all the pilgrims arriving, and a warm place near the stove.
We´ll don´t meet this year I´ll be walking the Norte with my wife. Later the Portugues with others Hospi friends, and if whife don´t divorce me (finger crossed) the Vadinense in Fall.
Maybe you can met in your jouney a great hospi, a italian lady called Dona, she will be walking the same dates you will. Lovely person. great pilgrim and better hospitalera.
Anyway, have a wonderfull, safe, blister and pain free Camino, full of joy and friendship
Wish you well my friends, Buen Camino.
Ultreia!

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi friends.
How lucky you are! Grañón was my first hospi stint back in 2012. Oh my, already 10 years ago!

Buena temporada hospitalero!

I am due in Granon on 3rd April if everything goes to plan on the Camino..do I just turn up or booki in advance..many thanks
@cardifflad52 There are no reservations at Granon. Just enter through the Bell Tower, climb the stairs and come on it. People are not turned away. Normally you sign yourself into the book and hospitalero can explain the arrangements. The information is also posted in many languages on the wall near the sign-in book.

There is no stamp. You must go out to the community to get one for that day. We want the stamp to be left in your heart and not in a book or credential.

A community dinner and breakfast are shared as well as an optional evening meditation by candlelight in the choir loft of the church before bedtime. Most evenings there is also a pilgrim mass before supper.

We call Granon "The Queen of the Albergues" and although it is simple and you will sleep on a gym mat on the floor, it is well known for its hospitality.

Trainings for hospitaleros are often conducted there and the people in the community are very proud that their little town serves pilgrims. Phil and I were embraced by the community when we served as American hospitaleros during the Christmas/New Year season of 2018. We were asked to judge the local "nativity" contest and locals would stop us on the street to inquire how many pilgrims we had and what nationalities they were. Local businesses would come to us for "change" on the weekend when the bank was closed. We accompanied interested pilgrims to Mass each evening for a pilgrim blessing and were warmly welcomed by the community even though we are not Catholic. Service in this albergue was a special experience for us and we hope for pilgrims who stay there as well.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@cardifflad52 There are no reservations at Granon. Just enter through the Bell Tower, climb the stairs and come on it. People are not turned away. Normally you sign yourself into the book and hospitalero can explain the arrangements. The information is also posted in many languages on the wall near the sign-in book.

There is no stamp. You must go out to the community to get one for that day. We want the stamp to be left in your heart and not in a book or credential.

A community dinner and breakfast are shared as well as an optional evening meditation by candlelight in the choir loft of the church before bedtime. Most evenings there is also a pilgrim mass before supper.

We call Granon "The Queen of the Albergues" and although it is simple and you will sleep on a gym mat on the floor, it is well known for its hospitality.

Trainings for hospitaleros are often conducted there and the people in the community are very proud that their little town serves pilgrims. Phil and I were embraced by the community when we served as American hospitaleros during the Christmas/New Year season of 2018. We were asked to judge the local "nativity" contest and locals would stop us on the street to inquire how many pilgrims we had and what nationalities they were. Local businesses would come to us for "change" on the weekend when the bank was closed. We accompanied interested pilgrims to Mass each evening for a pilgrim blessing and were warmly welcomed by the community even though we are not Catholic. Service in this albergue was a special experience for us and we hope for pilgrims who stay there as well.
Thank you for that it sounds really lovely a proper pilgrim experience ...I am in no rush to reach Santiago as I only brought a one way ticket from the UK , giving up my job and home to go out there ..so my worldly goods will be what's in my backpack ..I look forward to the experience of the real meaning of the Camino and meet lots of lovely people whether in the communities I pass or other pilgrims .

To the
Thank you for that it sounds really lovely a proper pilgrim experience ...I am in no rush to reach Santiago as I only brought a one way ticket from the UK , giving up my job and home to go out there ..so my worldly goods will be what's in my backpack ..I look forward to the experience of the real meaning of the Camino and meet lots of lovely people whether in the communities I pass or other pilgrims .
OP, wishing you a great spell as hospitalero. This weekend there will be a training for new hospitaleros there.
To cardifflad52: you have shot up through the hard, dry and cracked earth just like the spring flowers that offer hope. Your mode of adopting pilgrim status is admirable, especially at this time, and I wish you a blessed camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One way ticket here too. Retired. Plenty of time. The Granon albergue is really special.

I arrived in Granon on a cold and wet afternoon. No other pilgrims in sight until I ran into Keith, a Canadian I had met a couple of days earlier. Together we searched the village looking for somewhere to stay. A private house was offering rooms at a price we felt was too much so we continued our search and split up to cover more ground. In the town square I heard a shout from Keith beckoning me round behind the church.

He had found the Hospital de San Juan Bautista. I had one of the most memorable nights of my Camino.

To the

OP, wishing you a great spell as hospitalero. This weekend there will be a training for new hospitaleros there.
To cardifflad52: you have shot up through the hard, dry and cracked earth just like the spring flowers that offer hope. Your mode of adopting pilgrim status is admirable, especially at this time, and I wish you a blessed camino.
Thank you for that , I may ask Ivan if he can put me in touch with one of the Alberques to see if I can do some voluntary work for a few weeks or months en route to Santiago after I pass through Granon on 4th April

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back