• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hospitalero?

KarlAndrew

Dear All,

I am fairly new to this forum and am still getting to grips with how things work. I suppose the questions I am about to ask have been asked many times before, but I do appreciate everyone's patience in taking the time to answer my question where they have insight to offer.

• First off! I will be arriving in SJPP on the 28th of March so most of the pilgrimage will take place during April, how is the weather during this period and would I require special clothes, jackets/pants etc., to deal with the climate? I wish to take on the pilgrimage in the most basic of ways, that is, I want to keep things as simple as possible - I would rather leave some things at home then taking excess weight which will burden me during the walk. Things such as a sleeping bag, camera, towels, soap, medicinals and first aid kit and the lot…

• Secondly, since I have been infected by the incurable desire to travel and have dropped out of school with the sole intention to so, I am not bound by a return ticket, nor am I running against time and so I really do wish to give things the time they need. In so doing I wish to spend some time as a hospitalero. I'd like to share the camino experience with as many people as possible and I'd love to help them in their walk. I think this would enrich my experience by many folds. Other than that I believe that this option can save me some money. Can anyone please clarify this point please, and give me some tips on how to act as a hospitalero.

• Finally, Id like to ask whether anyone is planning to go on the camino next april. I think it would be cool to start sharing the experience even as early as today, with regards to how preparation is going, training, what you're taking with you etc.

Anyways, hope to hear from anyone soon.

much love,
Karl

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't think that there is much money in being a hospitalero. I spoke with a woman who had broken down in Astorga, so was volunteering at the San Javier for two weeks while her shinsplints recuperated. She got a bed in compensation. She probably got the leftovers from the excellent desayuno they serve, but she did not mention that. At San Saturnino, the hospitalera got dinner as well because she was the cook. Many albergues to not offer meals, so you would need to find one that did, if you plan to reduce that expense.

It is good that you have plenty of time. It will add to the enjoyment. Have fun, and buen camino.

My intention is not to make money as a hospitalero. However I was wondering as you pointed out whether it is possible to get a free bed and some food in exchange for some voluntary help around the hostel.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Normally, a hospitalero first is asked to complete the Camino (so that they can understand all that it entails) Second, usually you have to do a hospitalero course.
Rebecca should be the the correct person to reply with more details. Anne

Hi Karl.
I too will be traveling the Camino in the spring. My plan is to arrive in SJPDP on March, 29th after taking the morning train from Bayonne. I'll spend the night in SJPDP and begin my trek on the 30th :D and ending sometime the first week of May!! Unlike you, I have a return flight back to the states from Madrid.
I go from a moment of excitement to a moment of nervousness all in one day!! I've got things to take care of here at home and yet things to do yet for the trip.
This forum is a great place to learn about everything from which albergue's to avoid to what things to pack. I've made a list and a "general" notes-to-self itinerary from all I've read. I too want to keep things simple like the original peregrinos but...I also don't want to be stupid!
Let's stay in touch for sure and I look forward to meeting up on our journey.

Andrea

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Pleased to meet you Andrea,

I will be arriving in SJPDP a couple of days before you. I think that when Im there ill be itching to start walking so I think ill head out before you. However Im gonna be really taking my time so Im pretty sure you'll catch up to me. We'll keep in touch over this forum and if you'd like Im also available on fb, just search - KarlAndrew Micallef - and you'll find me for sure. Best of luck buddy,

Right now Im checking out some jackets and shoes. Im also faced with the question of a camera and laptop. Im sure wont be getting my laptop coz its too heavy but I will be carrying a tablet. Problem is how I can transfer photos from the camera onto the tablet to include in my blogs. I think Ill solve the problem by ditching the camera and simply carrying my phone. It has a fairly good camera and I can connect the two devives by bluetooth.

Hope to hear from you soon dude.

Buen camino
Karl :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola Karl
About the hospitalero question: Lots of people are doing what you plan to do.
Most people finish the camino walk before volunteering. In some places, that is a requirement. Other places require a training course, administered by the national Amigos of the Camino organization. But most places accept volunteer help in exchange for bed and (sometimes) food. As you walk along you will find some places that are particularly appealing or agreeable to you. If it seems like a place you´d like to volunteer, as the hospitalero there about how to sign up. They might put you to work right away, or tell you to come back when you are finished walking. They may only accept help from a certain pool of volunteers they already know. It all depends!

It helps a lot to have Spanish and other language skills, and know how to cook, how to say "no" in a nice way, and how to live on about 5 hours of sleep per night!

You may finish walking and find out you are no longer interested in being a hospitalero. It is best to keep your options open.

Rebekah

waytogo50 said:
Hi Karl.
I too will be traveling the Camino in the spring. My plan is to arrive in SJPDP on March, 29th after taking the morning train from Bayonne. I'll spend the night in SJPDP and begin my trek on the 30th :D and ending sometime the first week of May!! Unlike you, I have a return flight back to the states from Madrid.
Andrea

Hi Andrea,
This is Hieu. I'll be landing in Madrid the afternoon of Thursday, March 29. I probably will make it to SJPDP April 1. I'll also be stopping at Orisson after the first day. So I'll probably be 3 days behind you on the Camino. I too will be returning to the US from Madrid, but at a much later date, May 21, as I plan to continue to Finisterre and Muxia.
Buen Camino,
Hieu

Rebekah Scott said:
Hola Karl
About the hospitalero question: Lots of people are doing what you plan to do.
Most people finish the camino walk before volunteering. In some places, that is a requirement. Other places require a training course, administered by the national Amigos of the Camino organization. But most places accept volunteer help in exchange for bed and (sometimes) food. As you walk along you will find some places that are particularly appealing or agreeable to you. If it seems like a place you´d like to volunteer, as the hospitalero there about how to sign up. They might put you to work right away, or tell you to come back when you are finished walking. They may only accept help from a certain pool of volunteers they already know. It all depends!

It helps a lot to have Spanish and other language skills, and know how to cook, how to say "no" in a nice way, and how to live on about 5 hours of sleep per night!

You may finish walking and find out you are no longer interested in being a hospitalero. It is best to keep your options open.

Rebekah

Thanks Rebekah,

This info is really interesting. Im really getting looking forward just to head out and start the walk right now.

karl :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
annakappa said:
Normally, a hospitalero first is asked to complete the Camino (so that they can understand all that it entails) Second, usually you have to do a hospitalero course.
Rebecca should be the the correct person to reply with more details. Anne
Hi Annakappa, I loved your video. Thank you.

Almha

Hello Almha. Thanks for the compliment (regarding the video). That was back in 2008. We have since walked the Francés twice more, volunteered as hospitalers for 18 days once, and that time then walked the Sanabrés. Somehow the Camino beckons again and again! Happy Christmas! Anne

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back