Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hospitales in the rain?

jennysa

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
Has anyone walked it in the rain? Rain is predicted for tomorrow but our hospitalero is encouraging us to walk it in preference to Polo Allande. He says that the only time not to walk it is in the wind.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, jennysa,
Sorry to hear that you may get wet tomorrow. Years ago, the Hospitales route was not well marked, so pilgrims were advised to stay off in bad fog. Now the markers are so close, that if you are walking with someone, you will not have a problem. One can go ahead and find the next marker while you are in voice contact if the fog is really bad.

If the forecast for the next day looks much better, though, and if you have the time, I would consider going to Pola de Allande tomorrow (I have done that in the rain) and then climbing up to Puerto de Palo the next day.

The walk from Pola de Allande up to the high point (where it meets up with the Hospitales route) is very nice, very green and rural, babbling brooks, heavily shaded, until the last bit of steep ascent up to the puerto itself. And then at that high point you have the hospitales view, although you will not have had the advantage of walking along the ridge, which is what the Hospitales route does.

Buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Jenny,

The Hospitales route is definately possible in the rain, but as I haven't done the route through Pola, I can't compare. Besides some fog at the beginning, I was lucky to only encounter wind in April.

As Laurie said, there are poles marking the route in case of dense fog. I started out with someone (we left early) but due to a difference in speed, after about 45 minutes I was way ahead and ending up walking the whole way by myself. I didn't at any point feel unsafe.

It is really quite spectacular but is about 24 km in the mountains without any service. Only do it if you are feeling confident.

We did in May 2 years ago. It was rainy and super windy once we reached the top. It was no big deal and the views were still fantastic. It was cold because of the wind. Once we dropped back down it was hot again and the rain stopped. It’s well marked and not dangerous at all. The only time I’d advise not to go is if it’s really foggy and you can’t see 10 feet in front of you :)
The trail is obvious and there are plenty of markers spaced closely together once you reach the top. Plus, the terrain is obvious in its direction. You are walking across a wide ridge. With slopes on both sides that you obviously don’t need to walk down on. It will take you right to the road where you go across and continue on.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We ended up going the other way because of mist and my friend was a bit nervous about the weather . Those that did the route said the wind was a huge problem. However it was very long and very tough after Polo Allande. Fortunately we met with other pilgrims when we got to the top because the mist was thick and we didn't know which way to go. It rained 90% of the way. Thanks to all for their arvice

Jennysa, Following your posts with interest - Buen Camino. Your track gpx up to Lugo received and matches our proposed September/October plan, much appreciated and thanks. Are you taking the Camino Verde? We plan to stay off the CF as much as possible until Lavacolla. From Biomorto we will end with 2 20km days by staying on the N634 at the up market Minio de Pena, (but all on roads) the night before we end up in Santiago. Good walking - (to put it another way)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Has anyone walked it in the rain? Rain is predicted for tomorrow but our hospitalero is encouraging us to walk it in preference to Polo Allande. He says that the only time not to walk it is in the wind.
We walked it in September 2016 with both intermittent rain and wind. Wild and exhilarating. Go for it!

I'd add extreme fog to that... A fellow pilgrim walking the Hospitales in fog the day after us said he could barely see in front of him.
Even the special markers quite close together to help guide the way were almost invisible. He was rather shook up and was not a novice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If the weather is iffy, fog, etc, then why do this route? Doing my third Camino starting August 8th and just curious for planning purposes! Thank you all!
Rosemary

In summary, it is quite stunning nature and with the weather providing raw elements provides a very memorable as well as evocative experience of what it may have been like for a pilgrim in past centuries.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.