• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Host gifts

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
When ever I have been overseas, it has been my privilege to thank my hosts with a token of appreciation.
I would like to bring something from the states. And yes right now I am willing to sacrifice some of my "what if..." items for space/ weight for this.
But I have not been in Europe in 40 years and not sure what would be appreciated.
Obviously something small light.
I am thinking of Starbucks Via coffee packs, a charm symbolizing good will, unique small batik etc
I anticipate the recipient might vary with the moment.,whether hospitelero, Aubergue host, cafe worker etc
See I feel grateful and I'm not even there yet.
What, in your opinion would be simple and desirable from states??
And yes I'll be realistic as I assess my final pack weight

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I always take a small pouch that contains a variety of key chains and 25 cent coins specific to my home state. I have given these to many people over the years and it seems to be appreciated by the recipients. It takes up very little space and gets lighter as you go along so to speak. I also take a few graphic tee shirts for special people that I have befriended over the years. The extra weight is worth it to me. Harley tee shirts are always a big hit, even with the seńoras. Those are also state specific. Most people are happy that you have been thought full enough to bring something special for them regardless of the monetary value. Be sure to bring a great big smile with you,it doesn't weigh much. Buen camino

It is such a lovely practice to bring gifts from your home. The Camino is a little different than other travel, since you will be interacting with so many people, staying at so many places, eating and drinking so many times, and meeting hundreds of other pilgrims.

On the Camino I found that the greatest gift you could give your host or server is a gracious attitude and respect for their property and business hours. As an alternative to carrying a bunch of gifts to give, one idea is to carry a few photos of your life to show people - your hometown, closest family members and pets, you on vacation to your favorite travel destination. And then if you have some postcards of your hometown, those are lightweight and well appreciated.

Many of the people you will serve you on the Camino don't have the luxury of travel, and some may have never left their home town - to see your world, and to see the people in your life will be a delight and a blessing.

Enjoy!

~ Nancy

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When ever I have been overseas, it has been my privilege to thank my hosts with a token of appreciation.
I would like to bring something from the states. And yes right now I am willing to sacrifice some of my "what if..." items for space/ weight for this.
But I have not been in Europe in 40 years and not sure what would be appreciated.
I am thinking of Starbucks Via coffee packs, a charm symbolizing good will, unique small batik etc
I anticipate the recipient might vary with the moment.,whether hospitelero, Aubergue host, cafe worker etc
what a wonderful idea,,i will hopefully be heading out in early june only for 10 days this time:(but with your idea i will bring a little something maybe key rings from Ireland ,a tiny gesture of thanks,, well done you !

Hi Nanc -

Assuming the person you would like to give a gift to has an email address, what about emailing them your Top Ten all-time favourite recipes - those recipes that are really special to you - eg a favourite recipe from your Mum, a "national treasure of a recipe" from your home country, etc. At the top of each recipe, state why each recipe is so special to you. If you head up each recipe in the doc with "Nanc's Top Ten all-time favourite recipe No. ..." or something similar, that person will always associate that recipe with you.

Obviously this is only going to be a valued gift for those who're interested in cooking, but this gift is weightless and has only cost your time and effort to make it.

I'll give you an example - a couple of years ago (at least) our wonderful pilgrim b from here on the Forum posted a recipe for peregrina b's flapjacks. Peregrina b is pilgrim b's beautiful wife and the flapjack recipe is a favourite with their family and friends. Here's the recipe :

upload_2016-3-5_9-35-58.png

Ingredients:

350 grams rolled oats

225 grams butter

150 grams brown sugar

2 tablespoons golden syrup

NOTE: Make sure you line the baking tin with a piece of baking paper or grease the tin well with butter.

Melt butter, brown sugar and golden syrup until the sugar has melted. Add oats. Stir well then spread in a square baking tin, press mixture down well with the back of a large spoon and bake on the middle rack of the oven @ 280F (about 150 celsius) for 40 mins until golden. Check after 30 minutes for that ‘golden’ look. After removing the flapjacks from the oven, cut into squares after 10 minutes but don’t lift the flapjacks out of the tin until completely cool. If you do this they shouldn’t crumble and crack apart.

Pilgrim b says “Aka English Flapjacks, isn't this fun?”

Enjoy !

BTW - A slightly spicy version of the flapjacks can be made by adding a half-teaspoon of mixed spice and ground ginger. If you like a lighter consistency you can also add one beaten egg and a tablespoon of plain flour.

As soon as pilgrim b posted the recipe I made a batch and it has since become one of my most often made recipes. When I volunteered at Refugio Gaucelmo at Rabanal in 2014 (you must, must stay there! It's one of the best albergues on the Camino - you will receive a wonderful welcome and everything is perfect there!) I made the flapjacks on a couple of occasions for afternoon tea which we served to pilgrims each day. They were so delicious and much appreciated. I was asked for the recipe by a few pilgrims and was so happy to pass it on. I also was able to tell the pilgrims that the recipe had come from one of the members of Ivar's Forum and gave them the story of the recipe. I'm returning to Refugio Gaucelmo to volunteer once again for the first two weeks in August and I'll be making the flapjacks again. If anyone asks me for the recipe I'll immediately email it to them.

Cheers Nanc and best of luck with ideas for your host gifts.

Take joy in every step -

Jenny

I may sound crass but if you tip well, ask for things politely amd thank pollitely, if you bring back your dirty dishes to the counter, clean up after yourself you will make a mark.

Yes, please bring back ypur dirty dishes to the counter, dont leave them on the table when you leave.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Nanc. Surely your generosity would be well appreciated, BUT. Remenber each graim you are carryng with you, will weigh in your back, in your legs, in your mind. Its is very usual to find, in the albergues of the firsts stages of the Camino, tons of "presents" leaved there by generous pilgrims whom didn´t remembered this. Oviously, all those big bags of chocolate bars, cokies, sweets etc are very well honored by the others pilgrims. :):D. Think well what to carry with you. A hug, a smile, a small gesture of kindness is most of the times, much more welcome than a matterial present. Or maybe share a bottle of wine, laugh,,weep together with your hosts and mates. Enjoy. Buen Camino.

I've made a bunch of braided key rings/fobs to give out.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ok, I may be cranky, but isn't part of the Camino about learning we don't need things, let alone those poluting being made in China or those ending up in the recycling bin? Isn't it all in the smile, the extended hand, respect and solidarity?Just imagine how many rinkets these people alomg the way bin when a quarter lf a miion people pass by them... Isn't giving out trinkets more about us than them?

Sometimes we take little stick pins of kangaroos - not for the adults but for any children we come across. They seem to like them.

Another gift is to teach our hosts an Australian game - a drinking game for the adults, Two-up or Up Jenkins for the children. The most success was backyard cricket, played with garbage bins and whatever we could find for a bat. It needs a few people.

I have taken some U.S. golden dollars and left them with hospitaleros who stand out. The U.S. cannot get the public to use dollar coins, so I figure they will be more appreciated overseas! I have a supply of George Washington and Sacajawea. They cost only a dollar...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was beaten to the recipes idea but this morning when watching a cooking show I thought that a little booklet with one of your favorite recipes (with ingredients easily available in Spain) might make a good gift/souvenir. Maybe include pictures of you making it and friends/family sitting down to enjoy it. Have a Spanish translation too of course.

Many decades ago in New Zealand I met some fellow travellers who brought pop corn kernels. They said their hosts and especially their hosts' kids were fascinated because they never actually saw the stuff being popped. That was long ago and far away of course but maybe someone can comment if this would go over well in present day Spain.

I've found that treating foreign visitors to the States to maple sugar candy goes over well ("This comes from a **tree**?") Not as practical bringing them to Spain and carrying them around but remember that, as with any of your gifts, you can mail them ahead to yourself for resupply.

There were some suggestions of coins as gifts but how about some small bags of stamps? They might even start a kid on a new hobby.

I'm a glass worker, and made a bunch of shell shaped beads, and other random shapes and colours. :) Gotta get started on my next batch for 2017!!! :D
Hi WandererJolie - what a beautiful idea your shell shaped beads are! When you get a chance, could you post a photo of some of them here on this thread? It would be fantastic to see them.
Cheers - Jenny

I wouldn't bring gifts. I think tips combined with sincere thanks and cleaning up after oneself are the way to go. Small gifts tend to just become clutter. People feel obligated to hold onto these things.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back