• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hostal dos Reis Catolicos

I wonder why no one has posted this yet. We stayed there in 02 having rung when we got to Portomarin and so knew when we were going to arrive in Santiago and got a room for two nights. They were polite to reasonably untidy pilgrims and once we had cleaned ourselves and put on our evening clothes we did not look too out of place. It is good value for money, expensive but look what you get. There food is not great though the Parador breakfast will last you the day if you have enough, it is a help yourself buffet. Service in Bar on the Plaza poor.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi - we are going to be staying there later this month, as part of a touring trip - Luarca, Santiago, then Baiona (camp site!).
We booked with one of their 'special 2 + days ' - really not bad considering - 1/2 board - means dinner is virtually free - can't be bad!
Anyway, while we're there I'd like to experience a taste of the camino.
We have walked long distance paths in the past, but I ( thoough not my husband) am rather ( very!!) out of condition (and 57 yrs old!!) so am looking for something not too taxing that can be done as a day walk with reasonable access points for transport.
Any ideas guys - would be greatly appreciated.
Terri

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had some people from Norway that visited last year do something similar. They wanted to get a camino-experience, but had only one day.

To start, I told them that it would be very difficult to experience the camino by just walking one day. It is like trying to experience how it is to run a marathon by running 100 meters.

That said, they wanted to do it and I told them that they could take a taxi out to around the airport and walk back. It is not a full day’s walk, more 3-4 hours. This stretch is not the most beautiful stretch, since the outskirts of Santiago is a lot of pavement and some industry. But what they did like was the contact they got with other pilgrims. They walked a few hours with real pilgrims and got to hear their story.

Traveling further out and walking there would not make sense if you just have one day, since you would spend most of the day in a bus traveling to/from your start/end point.

Maybe someone else has a better idea?

Welcome to Santiago!

Ivar

thanks ivar for your reply.
What about the Finistere bit - I looked at this and it looks good - much more peaceful.
Our itinerary ( if you can call it that) is - fly to oviedo with easyjet 22nd june, 3 days in Luarca - Hothel la Argentina, then drive to Santiago - 3 days in the Parador. Then drive down to Baiona for 7 - 10 days in the campsite in a log cabin.
Plan to do lots of exploring, but have about a week left unspoken for - see how we go.
The main camino looks absolutely fantastic but very busy, so maybe we'll go to 'the end of the world' instead!
The pics look good though and there's sea'n'sand too!
What more could I ask?
That now looks like a definite maybe.
Anyone else done it?

Ooops - just found the thread - Apologies. :roll:
Terri

if you're in Baiona anyway with a week to spare, the obvious route to try is the Camino Portugues - there is plenty of accommodation with lots of access points, so you could try a test day and see how you get on.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi william - silly question, but having walked the camino, i assume you didn't pack a 'smart' jacket.
my husband who is much happier in shorts/ tshirts is not happy re wearing a jacket for dinner here. He's ok with long trousers & 'smartish' shirts but he'd prefer not to take a jacket.
Other than that, we're really looking forward to it - only 2 more weeks to go
Any advice
Sorry to be a pain
Terri

As I said on my first post you will not miss much if you don't have their dinner.

Having said that I see you have half board and yes you are right I had a pair of long trousers and a polo shirt for evenings in hotels and they were adequate in the cheaper of the restaurant there which is probably the half board one. There was a posh restaurant but we did not try it.

Buen Camino
William

heaven at the end of el Camino

I almost hesitate to suggest this boutique hotel and just keep it as a perfect memory and secret for my wife and I at the end of our last walk of the Camino, but why not share the joy of a very, very comfortable bed, a cute room, a wonderful breakfast included daily, a perfect location next to the cathedral and tapas bars! I couldn't find a phone number on the net and lost their card, but here are the details:

HOTEL 25 JULIO
Avenida Rodrigo de Padrón, 4

It is right across the street from the police station and just a couple of storefronts from the Irish Pub Moore's (just for reference, get into the tapas!).

I hope you love it as much as we did.

Buen camino,
Doog

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back