• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

hostal/pension near the train-station

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hi Paul,

I had a look at the list on the webpage you indicated, but I have to admit I do not know where all of them are located. Here are some general hints.

Anything in old town or new town works. From old town it is a 10 minute walk to the train station. New town to the train is about a 5-10 minutes walk.

Have a look here, any of these would do (except Hostal Catete):
http://www.santiago-today.com/hotels/ho ... l_star.cfm

As many of you know, I personally like Hostal Suso. Good price, clean... rooms are quite basic but you practically live next door to the cathedral. If you are looking for a "step-up" from a hostel, I would recommend "Hotel Airas Nunes" ( http://www.santiago-today.com/hotels/hotels_2_star.cfm ).

Both of these are 10 minute walk (15 max) from the station.

Welcome to Santiago!
Ivar

Ivar,

Thanks a lot for the info!
After walking the camino I think we can make the 10 minutes to the train-station! :D

I will enjoy SdC !!
Greetings,

paul

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After some searching I booked at this hostal:
http://www.libredonbarbantes.com/

I will report about the quality when I'v been there on May 23/24: 24 I go back to Valladolid by train and than with Ryanair to Brussel.

Buen camino everyone,

Paul

I stayed two days(23 till 25 May) in Hostal Libredon Barbantes very near the cathedral.
After all the refugio's and little rooms it was a good choice for 40 Euro per night for a room with doublebed (2 persons).
We had one night a room a the front side of the hotel: very,very rumourous with the busy street below!
The second night we had another room at the back-site and although it was also noisy it was better although the room had a view against a wall....and hardly no room/space beside the bed but a peregrino does not complain and you only sleep there! We had our own little bathroom with a shower and it was clean!

BTW: the walk to the train station is only a short 15 minutes and after the Camino and a day rest it was fun again to walk with your pack :D !

Paul

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks Paulus for letting us know about your experience at Hostal Libredon Barbantes.

It sounds a lot like Hostal Suso, quite small rooms, but clean and at a good price.

Ivar

To add to the list - I stayed for three nights in Santiago at the Hostal Alfonso, Pombal 40, 15705 Santiago. Two minutes walk from the old City Centre. 30 Euros a night, including breakfast, for double bedded room overlooking the Cathedral. Couldn't fault the service or welcome I received. I didn't book, just cold-called, there are so many hostals that accomodation shouldn't be a problem. Their website is http://www.hostalalfonso.com (although the english version uses a computer translation which is somewhat nonsensical!)

regards
Peter

Hello,

We booked to stay at the Hostel Libredon Barbantes for a week in April. It was 40 eoros plus tax. When we arrived we took one look at the room which was absolutely tiny and looked onto a corrugated iron roof and alley. We left and wandered about and found Mapoula
http://mapoula.com/. It is just behind Plaza de Galicia which is a great position. It is family run, very clean and friendly and was only 30 euros inc for a double with a bathroom. It has many rooms but the ones on the same level as the reception were best. The rooms were all huge and very comfortable. It really felt we had found a bargain and enjoyed ourselves immensly there. We will definitely be back.

Jacqui :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Does anyone have a working website for Hotel Suso or any other inexpensive lodging in Santiago?
The links in this thread are no longer working.

We arrive late (10 pm) and need to find a place that will take us in that late.

Annie, I have stayed at the Hostal Pazo de Agra 4 times. It is in the old city, just around the corner from Rua do Nova, clean and inexpensive. Email Fernando at pazodeagra@ahoo.es for a booking. The cost is 40 euro for a double room and 26 euro for single use of a double room. He also provides a 'grandma's breakfast' if you want it.

Anniesantiago said:
Does anyone have a working website for Hotel Suso or any other inexpensive lodging in Santiago?
The links in this thread are no longer working.

We arrive late (10 pm) and need to find a place that will take us in that late.
Guess who is working on their website right now... I am.

Even so, they will not have online booking availability... they like to do it the old way, reservation by phone. Their phone number is +34 981 586 611 (I asked them if they speak English, and they said "mas o menos" (more or less)).

Saludos,
Ivar

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ooops! Sorry about that - yes it is Yahoo.

I finally made my reservations, Sil.
Thanks so much!
Now I need to figure out how to get from the airport there... taxi I imagine, since we get in around 8 pm.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This topic has some good information for pilgrims when they arrive in Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/tourists-spanish-city-face-backlash-2952834?ito=copy-link_share_article-top the last few seasons I've been walking the VdlP and if this report is only half true...
Hello, I walked the Camino Frances in September/October 2023 and have an opportunity (i.e. time) to do another one this May/June - although I only have ~4 weeks available. I'm thinking Norte...
Hi everyone, Pilgrim House Welcome Center opened on March 4 for the 2024 season. As always, the team would love to meet you (or see you again!) after your Camino. The Camino can be an emotional...
Hi, I am planning to finish my Camino July 20, but I was wondering if it is worth it to instead try to finish to see the holy day on July 25. Is it going to be super crowded on the 25th? I do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.