• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hostal Recommendation

tyrrek

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP-SdC (4-5/2011), Ferrol-SdC (9/2011), Pamplona-SdC (3-4/2012), Camino Finisterre (10/2012), Ourense-SdC (5/2014)
I don't want this posting to detract from the albergue at Hospital de Bruma, which everyone I met who stayed there was very happy with.

However I opted for the hostal O Novo in Meson do Vento, and I have to say it was probably the best value accommodation I have ever had in my life (and I've been about a bit). The rooms, bedding etc were lovely, and perfectly clean. The couple running the place from the bar were absolutely charming. I also met a really nice British couple who go back to stay there whenever they're in Galicia and count the owners as friends (and were greeted as such on arrival). The only downside is that it's on the main road.

Even after the hard slog up to Bruma I thought it was worth the extra 20 minutes walk. 18 Euros a night. You'd expect to pay more than twice that amount for the quality provided.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We agree 100%. The whole family is so friendly and helpful. Lovely rooms, good food (tapas and generous raciones, not main meals). They even packed up some bread and ham for a picnic for us with a huge tomato.
One thing to note is that this is one of the few places where the price is per person not per room plus meals/picnic. A very reasonable cost for the accomodation etc provided. They also let us hang our washing on their line and would have lent us their pegs.
We loved it and would be another couple who would stay there again, maybe on the way home after our next Camino. :)
TerryB and Tia Valeria

I second your recommendation. Antonio and his parents are just great, and the food is too. On the CI last year I got two nights there, using their smart taxi arrangement (Antonio picks you up at the end of one day, and puts you back in the same place the next). PrIobably the best stay I had in the Año Santo.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stayed there this past July and I agree wholeheartedly with your comments - the food was also very good. However, I stayed there on a Sunday evening and there was a disco, or something similar, playing very load music right next door. The music went on until about three in the morning. I got essentially no sleep and felt miserable starting my walk that morning. Here is a copy on my contemporaneous post on the subject:

I stayed at the Pension/Bar O Meson Novo. Very nice room, good food and delightful hosts. However, I was there on a Sunday night and there was a VERY loud disco or something right next door. I did not sleep a wink until after 3 or 4 in the morning. I cannot recommend staying there unless the disco is closed. I stayed at Hotel Canaima last year and was very quiet.

Thanks Daesdaemar. Counting back, I must have been there on Monday, so not the most disco night of the week! As with everything on the Camino we can only take as we find on the day that we encounter it. I'm lucky in that this place was one of the highlights of my particular pilgrimage.

Disco? What disco? There is no disco! :)

Either this was a private party in the building next door or some other kind of one off event - I have stayed there about 6 times now and have always had an undisturbed sleep - unlike in the Hotel Canaima where they check in guests until late in the night and only open the dining room when they feel like it!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
JohnnieWalker said:
Disco? What disco? There is no disco! :)

Either this was a private party in the building next door or some other kind of one off event - I have stayed there about 6 times now and have always had an undisturbed sleep - unlike in the Hotel Canaima where they check in guests until late in the night and only open the dining room when they feel like it!

As tyrrek said, things on the Camino can vary so much from day-to-day. There is some kind of industrial-looking building right behind the hostal and there is where the music was coming from. I have no idea whether it is regular weekend event or a one-time private party???
The one time I stayed at the Canaima, it was very quiet and the people at the bar treated me very nicely and cooked me a special meal per my request -- and much more food than I could eat! Prices were comparable.
Between the two, I spent a better night at the Canaima, but only because of the noise/music. Otherwise, it would have been close to a tie - both very nice...

I stayed at the Canaima in 2008 instead of the Albergue at Bruma, specifically to be able to watch Liverpool play Chelsea in the Champions League. Upon arrival at the hotel they told me I could watch it provided I pay the month's subscription to Canal + or whatever channel it was being shown on. Needless to say I wandered into town and found a bar to watch it in (probably spent more on beer than the cost of the subscription :D ).

Stayed at the Meson Novo too in a subsquent year and of the two I preferred it, although the Canaima was perfectly adequate. I also seem to remember the kitchen being closed at the Canaima because the cook hadn't turned up that evening!

All adds to the experience.
Mig

Will add this to my list of "gotto's" for April.

Mig, which bar had the matches on? I enjoy a good football match, especially now the Rugby Worlds is past. Drat, double SA drat!

Arn

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Small question: Canaima is in Ordes no? So still a long way ( 15 kilometers ? ) from Hospital de Bruma?

Thank you very much! Always nice to have some options.
For now my ticket to Santander and first night are taken care of, second night in Ferrol too, of on the 17th of April.

Arn said:
Mig, which bar had the matches on? I enjoy a good football match, especially now the Rugby Worlds is past. Drat, double SA drat!
Arn
Hi Arn,

Quite a while ago now :? but pretty sure it was this one. Turn left from the Pension Meson Novo (or right from the Canaima) and the bar is approximately 300 metres down the main road (N550) on the LH side. A few other bars in town though and as you know most bars\cafes\restaurants have a TV.

SabineP said:
Small question: Canaima is in Ordes no? So still a long way ( 15 kilometers ? ) from Hospital de Bruma?
Sabine, this shows the proximity of the Hotel Canaima and the Pension Meson Novo on the outskirts of Meson do Vento. Just rotate the camera.

Mig

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back