• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hostal reservations along the Camino del Norte?

Sheleen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (July 2016) San Sebastían to Bilbao
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I'm planning a walking route for myself and my family along part of the Camino del Norte in July 2016. We will be 4 people, including 2 young teenagers. Would you recommend reserving hostal places along the way (before we leave) or is this unnecessary ?

Thank you in advance,

Sheleen

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Sheleen,

Just want to double-check: you mean hostal as in hotel/private rooms, not hostel/albergue, correct? Assuming so...

You don't need to make all of your reservations before you leave. I'd probably reserve beds for the first few nights, just because that's a really popular summer vacation spot and it'll probably add some comfort to your opening stages. From that point on, you might consider making a reservation a couple of nights in advance, again based on the idea that the coast in the summer can be quite popular with pilgrims and tourists alike.

The one variable: is your hope to stay together in one room? If so, your hotel/hostal options will be limited. Hotels along the way generally have doubles, along with a few singles and triples. Occasionally, they have one or two quads/family rooms. If that's a priority, for cost reasons, you might need to plan ahead a bit more. For what it's worth, I have direct links to many of the hotels along the way on the Northern Caminos site.

There are some albergues along the way with four beds in a room, so you might still consider those, or even rooms with more beds than that. You'll get a sense fairly quickly of just how crowded the route is and how your walking pace/style compares with others. That will help inform your decision of whether reservations are particularly important or entirely discretional.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. I was actually thinking of staying at the albergues along the way. I've booked one in San Sebastían for the first night, but wasn`t sure what to do for the following nights. I just don't fancy worrying about whether we're going to find accomodation while we are walking the route. One of my daughters went last year with her youth group and they had a lot of problems finding accomodation. (Maybe because they were a large group). It's not that important for us to stay in a private room for four, just as long as there is at least one adult with each child.

Would you recommend taking a tent with us? I have ordered your book and will study it when it arrives.

Thanks again, I'm really excited about doing the Camino!!

Sheleen

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. I was actually thinking of staying at the albergues along the way. I've booked one in San Sebastían for the first night, but wasn`t sure what to do for the following nights. I just don't fancy worrying about whether we're going to find accomodation while we are walking the route. One of my daughters went last year with her youth group and they had a lot of problems finding accomodation. (Maybe because they were a large group). It's not that important for us to stay in a private room for four, just as long as there is at least one adult with each child.

Would you recommend taking a tent with us? I have ordered your book and will study it when it arrives.

Thanks again, I'm really excited about doing the Camino!!

Sheleen
It's not as there are many options everywhere along the route so, if it makes you worry less, just book where you can.

I agree with Anemone--if this is something that you will worry about, and you're not concerned about sacrificing the flexibility that comes with walking without reservations, then you might as well reserve where possible 2-3 days in advance. More advanced notice is less important for the albergues than hostales, as you're not competing with as many vacationers.

Reservations won't be possible all of the time, and if they are you may be opting for a more expensive option (maybe 12-15 euros instead of 5-6), but if that lets you walk freely and without concern, and you can swing the expense, then I think it's a price worth paying. I wouldn't bother with a tent--added weight that you likely won't end up using.

From San Sebastián, if you follow the book stages (which are only suggested--definitely not prescribed), you'll sleep in Zarautz, Deba, Markina, and Gernika the first four nights. I'd suggest that you could feel very comfortable about getting beds without reservation in Deba's albergue de peregrinos. Reservations in private albergues might be more useful in the other stops, though.

That's great advice!! Thank you both, Dave and Anemone!! I'll be sure to follow it!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I'm planning a walking route for myself and my family along part of the Camino del Norte in July 2016. We will be 4 people, including 2 young teenagers. Would you recommend reserving hostal places along the way (before we leave) or is this unnecessary ?

Thank you in advance,

Sheleen
Hello Sheleen,
I've just returned from CdN. Via Gronze website you might have some idea about the capactiy of beds at certain places.
Already 1st half of may the Albergues with limited capacity were quickly full. (we found at Guemes where everyone wants a stop at Cabana del Abuelo Peuto that there were average about 50 peregrinos daily).
Please consider that the weekends are quickly full with locals, especially the cities.
We found that Guernica has limited capacity. There are a few B&B/casa rural which can pick you up from the centre (prebooking advised).
For big cities as Bilbao, you have to decide weather you want to see something of the city as well and take a hostal/hotel near the centre or the albergues a bit more outside.

From your info I deduct that you are only walking about 1 week till Bilbao.
Bon camino, Gerald

http://www.rtpa.es/asturias:Peregrinos-por-el-Norte.-De-Hotel-en-Hotel-_111470562108.html

'Peregrinos por el Norte. De Hotel en Hotel'

La iniciativa ofrece todas las comodidades posibles a aquellos que hacen el Camino

Ofrecer todas las comodidades posibles a aquellos que hacen el Camino de Santiago es la iniciativa de un grupo de hoteles asturianos, que facilitan a los peregrinos todos los servicios necesarios para que su experiencia sea lo más agradable posible.

La iniciativa 'Peregrinos por el Norte. De Hotel en Hotel' ofrece servicios que se pueden encontrar en los tradicionales albergues.

Como trasfondo, el crecimiento del Camino del Norte y del Camino Primitivo en los últimos años.

La iniciativa nació hace cuatro años impulsada por OTEA.

Actualmente, está en proceso de expansión a las comunidades vecinas.

Cada vez más peregrinos escogen esta opción para su paso en el Camino de Santiago por Asturias.

La iniciativa no es solo una forma de vender la ruta en nuestra región, sino que también sirve para vender la cultura y la gastronomía de Asturias.

Las previsiones apuntan a que el número de peregrinos que atravesará este año nuestra región será récord.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Angulero,

I'm afraid I don't understand what the offer is. Does it mean that hotels are ffering kitchens? Or dorms at albergue prices? I know the beautiful hotel in Tineo has a section that is a dorm for pilgrims. Is that what this programme is promoting? Or is it just that they tolerate us in their lobby with our muddy boots and our pilgrim scent?

Thank you.

En el vídeo del enlace hablan de un 10% de descuento en la tarifa, recambios básicos para bicicletas y lugar para guardarlas, recogida de peregrinos que no puedan acabar la etapa y supongo que más cosas. Esto sale de OTEA, que es una de las asociaciones de hostelería y turismo de Asturias.

Aquí hay más información

http://www.peregrinosporelnorte.com/

Y Aquí hablan de servicios exclusivos para peregrinos.

http://www.peregrinosporelnorte.com/servicios-exclusivos/

In the video link talk about a 10% discount on the rate, basic spare parts for bicycles and place to save, collection of pilgrims who can not finish the stage and I guess more. This leaves OTEA, which is one of the hospitality and tourism associations of Asturias.

Here's more information

http://www.peregrinosporelnorte.com/

And here they speak of exclusive services for pilgrims.

http://www.peregrinosporelnorte.com/servicios-exclusivos/

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.