A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Hostals open?

John Sanderholm

Camino(s) past & future
June 2016
Hola,

l am planning to start Camino del Norte end of August and walk for one month during September, but l am hesitating because of the Covid 17 situation. Are the albergues open? I plan to walk at least 30 km per day and don't need all of them but still some to meet people and sleep.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Hola,

l am planning to start Camino del Norte end of August and walk for one month during September, but l am hesitating because of the Covid 17 situation. Are the albergues open? I plan to walk at least 30 km per day and don't need all of them but still some to meet people and sleep.
Many municipal albergues will not be open this year at all, especially those in Basque Country.
Check the Wise Pilgrim website - he is keeping an updated list of open albergues.

Also keep your eye on the news, as there can be regional lockdowns.

And BTW, hostals and hostels are two different types of accommodations. Hostals are like small hotels with private rooms and usually private baths vs hostels, which have dorm type accommodations.

Camino(s) past & future
2012 SJPP-Burgos, 2014 Burgos-Leon, 2018 Leon-Santiago
Many municipal albergues will not be open this year at all, especially those in Basque Country.
Check the Wise Pilgrim website - he is keeping an updated list of open albergues.

Also keep your eye on the news, as there can be regional lockdowns.

And BTW, hostals and hostels are two different types of accommodations. Hostals are like small hotels with private rooms and usually private baths vs hostels, which have dorm type accommodations.
Thank you, @trecile
This is valuable information, and the very definition of what a helpful post should be.

All the best,
Paul

Lirsy

Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo, Norte, Francés, Volunteer Hospitalero.
Most of the albergues are open. As an exception, many municipal and parish albergues remain closed (I was told this is to avoid competing with private albergues on days with low numbers of pilgrims).

I have just returned from the Camino Portugues. Absolutelly not any problem finding albergue. In towns with a lot of albergues the public ones were closed. In towns with a smaller number of albergues they were open.

Regarding the covid measures: Only lower beds are in use and I would say that, as an average, they keep in use one every 4. That means in total 1/8 of the number of beds is in use. In every albergue they provided me with bed clothes.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 29.0%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock