• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hostel for pilgrims of Presedo

Dennis M

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2015 - Camino Ingles; Future Caminho Portuguése, Camino de Fisterra
Hi,

I'm scouting on the places to stay along Camino Ingles. My initial plan was to stay Betanzos > Julia's Bar > Hospital de Bruma. Browsing on www.gronze.com site, i saw that Presedo sits between Betanzos and Hospital de Bruma. Now, I'm thinking of staying at Presedo. Has anyone stayed at albergues in Presedo? I saw it's a newly opened albergues.

Thanks!! Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We haven't stayed at Presedo, but Bar Julia is just that - a cafe/bar - no accomodation there. Good to see more albergues along the route. Have you downloaded CSJ's guide by Johnnie Walker, although the CSJ bookshop has been down while upgrading so you might have to wait a week or so.

Hi Tia Valeria,

Yes, I'm aware of Julia's bar.. I believe I have to call someone to transport me to Meson Novo - Meson do Vento. I have read the CSJ's guide by Johnnie Walker sometime back. I'll revisit it later to see if there's an update.

Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Tia Valeria,

Yes, I'm aware of Julia's bar.. I believe I have to call someone to transport me to Meson Novo - Meson do Vento. I have read the CSJ's guide by Johnnie Walker sometime back. I'll revisit it later to see if there's an update.

Thanks.
Yes, if you have booked into Meson Novo then Don Antonio will come and collect you when you call. The mobile signal seems to be good from just outside Casa Julia.
Johnnie did an update in April 2013, but there may be more on-line by the time you walk.
Buen Camino

I have nothing but the best memories of staying at the Meson Novo. I spent time watching foot ball in the bar. It was a regional match, so I took some time to observe which side the majority of the patrons supported. I did my best to emote appropriately. Apparently I did well, as not a few cervezas found their way to my table.
Depor...Depor..Depor (apparently a replay of an earlier match)

Arn

€46,-
Hi,

I'm scouting on the places to stay along Camino Ingles. My initial plan was to stay Betanzos > Julia's Bar > Hospital de Bruma. Browsing on www.gronze.com site, i saw that Presedo sits between Betanzos and Hospital de Bruma. Now, I'm thinking of staying at Presedo. Has anyone stayed at albergues in Presedo? I saw it's a newly opened albergues.

Thanks!! Buen Camino

We stayed at Presedo about 3 weeks ago. the Alberque is run by the local community and has hot showers, bunkroom and small cooking area.
We walked from Minos to Presedo and it was a pretty hard day. A lot of up and down and not a lot of shade at times.
Presedo does not have any shops or cafes so you need to arrange for food to be delivered to the Alberque or get a taxi to the nearest cafes.
(This could be a challenge if you don't speak spanish)
If you stay in Presedo it will make for an easier day going to Bruma.

Buen Camino

Thanks Cah1. It's good to know that someone have stayed in this alberque.

General question, in places where there's a small kitchen, are you even allowed to cook?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Cah1. It's good to know that someone have stayed in this alberque.

General question, in places where there's a small kitchen, are you even allowed to cook?
I think so. Saw it in several places in albergues
not allways there is kitchengear.in Betanzos in the refurbished albergue was nice gear as far I have seen.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@krazeekuban

No need for a guide book on the Camino Ingles.
All you have to do is get to the tourist office down at the port and cross the street over to the place where the Camino begins ( can´t miss it) and then just follow the yellow arrows all the way to Santiago.

Ondo Ibili !
I agree with you Mendi about the guide book. The entire route is very well waymarked.just a matter of following the yellow arrows.
Although it is handy to have Johnnie Walker's guide with you.
We used it the night before the next trail to be prepared for the next day.
So highly recommended.

As far as I am concerned the tourist office is in calle Magdalena no 56. Right in the middle of town, one and a half kilometer away from the start of the camino opposite the harbour.
We got there our information and our first stamp on the credential.

There is a tourist booth opposite the starting point at the harbour but by the time we were there in May this year, this booth was closed.
So advisable is to go first to the calle Magdalena no 56 to get your stamp before you walk to the starting point avoiding the disappointment that the booth could be closed.
Besides that. Arriving by bus to Ferrol the busstation is closer to the calle Magdalena than to the startingpoint at the harbour.

Buen camino

Last edited:

€46,-
The guide not only allows next day planning it also has the cafes and accomodation details and other useful information. If an arrow has disappeared etc then the guide is invaluable. We would not go without it.
The tourist office was not open on Saturdays when we were there, but stamped our credenciales on Friday late afternoon and put the next days date on for us. If we had not done that we would have missed out on that particular sello. We also had one from our hostal.

The guide not only allows next day planning it also has the cafes and accomodation details and other useful information. If an arrow has disappeared etc then the guide is invaluable. We would not go without it.
The tourist office was not open on Saturdays when we were there, but stamped our credenciales on Friday late afternoon and put the next days date on for us. If we had not done that we would have missed out on that particular sello. We also had one from our hostal.
If the tourist office is closed they probably can supply a stamp (ask for "un sello) at the café restaurant next to the monument where you start from at the harbour
But Valeria. I agree with you the Tourist info sello is the best.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Meson Novo is great accommodation. Spacious, en suite rooms.
Just a tip ...pay as you go, don't run up a tab.
Buen camino!
And Stephen.. Kind people. Ask the parents of the owner to prepare a portion of pimientos de Padron. Grilled peppers with salt and olive oil. A traditional dish in Galicia.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And Stephen.. Kind people. Ask the parents of the owner to prepare a portion of pimientos de Padron. Grilled peppers with salt and olive oil. A traditional dish in Galicia.
Well, we can only speak as we find, dear friend.
I 'phoned in the morning asking about the possibility of an afternoon lift from Bar Julia, and they were very off-hand and said they could promise nothing.
I ran up a bill, as did a friend of mine - who stayed just one night.
She was a little surprised to find after the one night the bill totalled €45.
I stayed two nights and my bill came to .... €90.
The father was unable to accept a credit card "unless my son is here...." so I had to pay cash.
I can only suggest one pays cash, not running up a tab. Yes, they were friendly, and the rooms excellent.
Buen camino, amigo!

[QUOTE="Dennis M, I'm scouting on the places to stay along Camino Ingles. My initial plan was to stay Betanzos > Julia's Bar > Hospital de Bruma. Browsing on www.gronze.com site, i saw that Presedo sits between Betanzos and Hospital de Bruma. Now, I'm thinking of staying at Presedo. Has anyone stayed at albergues in Presedo? I saw it's a newly opened albergues.Thanks!! Buen Camino[/QUOTE]
Hi Dennis!
I'm probably too late to advise anything ;) however, I walked both 'arms' of the Ingles in May.
I wrote a diary - Pilgrimage IV - and a separate Photo Album which you can download .....
Go to my web site: http://snicholl5.wix.com/home-site#!santiago/c165l
At the bottom of the page are the links to the diary and the photo album.
1. Click on the link button - it will download the .doc file into your "Download" directory.
2. Go to your download directory and double click the downloaded file - it should open as a Word document [.doc] on your computer.

Buen camino!

Stephen.

Way back the Meson Novo had a per person charge. Their blog/website now shows that they charge per room and it varies - presumably like others for the time of year. Pick up being dependent on a room being booked may also depend on whether there are several pilgrims to collect or Antonio has other committments. We had no problem, but did need to sit at the bus stop until he arrived as Casa Julia was closed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, we can only speak as we find, dear friend.
I 'phoned in the morning asking about the possibility of an afternoon lift from Bar Julia, and they were very off-hand and said they could promise nothing.
I ran up a bill, as did a friend of mine - who stayed just one night.
She was a little surprised to find after the one night the bill totalled €45.
I stayed two nights and my bill came to .... €90.
The father was unable to accept a credit card "unless my son is here...." so I had to pay cash.
I can only suggest one pays cash, not running up a tab. Yes, they were friendly, and the rooms excellent.
Buen camino, amigo!
So we have different experiences. I phoned him the day before arriving at bar Julia and next dat arriving there gave him another phonecall and within 25 minutes he was there to pick us up.
We payed cash as we did all over the different places we stayed.

Stephen,

no it's not too late.. my camino is still months away.. I briefly glance at your diary and I can tell that I can learn a lot from your experience and thanks for sharing. I'll download your doc and read more of it.

one thing that i missed whatever preparation I do is, i arrive Ferrol Sunday when the tourist info is CLOSED :) i was hoping to have an early start the next day but that won't happen. I know i can get the credentials from the Camino Confraternity here in US but if i want a stamp from the tourist office then i need to wait until 9 am.

I saw in your diary that you attend a 9 am mass at one of the chapel in Ferrol, i guess I'll start my day with that then to the tourist info and then headout for my walk. I made a good choice of having a short walk on day 1 since I'm stopping at Neda so a late start is not bad.

Is there anything to see or do in Neda? Or is there any other place I can see nearby that is recommended? I'm in Ferrol Sunday around noon so I have most of the afternoon to see the city. Any suggestion on what to see in Ferrol too?

Buen Camino.

Dennis M

I'm in Ferrol Sunday around noon so I have most of the afternoon to see the city. Any suggestion on what to see in Ferrol too?

The Naval Museum (Museo Naval) in Ferrol is supposed to be very nice. And the Castle of San Felipe looked very interesting, but I didn't actually go to either. I occupied myself on my free day there by doing a walking tour of the beautiful (and sometimes sadly run down) Modernista / Art Nouveau buildings throughout the Magdalena district from a brochure I had picked up in my hotel lobby.

A walk down to the port, where the actual starting marker is located, is lovely. I also entertained myself with a fabulous lunch at O Camiño do Inglés, with maybe a couple of glasses of wine for good measure, located right on the Camino on Rúa San Francisco. Not inexpensive, but really excellent.

our stay at Meson Novo in June was wonderful, and I was actually very impressed with the car service they offer, particularly since we were a group of 7 that required two trips, which is about 20 minutes each way to/from Bar Julia. And with a staff of only 3 that I observed (mother, father, son). I'm sure the busier months of July-Aug-Sept are more challenging with these logistics. I paid cash as I went, but I know others in my group used credit cards, I recall seeing the son use a handheld machine (I believe all of the pensiones we stayed in took cards.)

The Inglés is a fabulous route - Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you want the sello from the main tourist office in town then you could start at the harbour and walk back to your accomodation, then walk up to the town tourist office next morning after mass. The church will probably also have a sello. If you want the tourist office sello in the first space just ask for any others in the second one onwards with Monday's date. We were in the tourist office late on a Friday and they suggested we dated ours for Saturday.
If staying at Meson Novo then I suggest that you get their stamp after doing the second day (from Casa Julia) which keeps the record straight.

Hi,

Thanks!! Buen Camino

Hi Dennis,
I'm not sure if I'm too late, but I'm walking the Ingles now and I stayed at the Presedo albergue last night. There's a sign on the door saying to call Maria when you arrive and she will come to open the door. There is a cooker with 2 stove tops, a couple of pots, plates and a sink. I bought food in Betanzos and took it with me to eat (just stuff for sandwiches so I didn't need to use the kitchen), but there were 3 other people who called up one of the two nearby restaurants and they had their dinner delivered. There are 2 posters on the door of the albergue advertising their menus. I had heard the albergue was basic, but it was much better than I expected with 3 showers, 2 toilets, nice bunks all with duvets, an outdoor seating area and place to wash and hang clothes, and plenty of power sockets in the dorm. It has everything except for a bar next door! ;)

I took pictures and have uploaded them to my blog, it's too tricky to get the sizes down to put them on here, they're on Day 2 of the Camino Ingles:
www.followingthearrows.wordpress.com

I hope this helps :)

Kat

HI Kat,

Thank you very much for the info and this is very helpful. In addition, thank you for sharing your blog. Wow, you did the Ingles in 4 days.

As always, Take care.. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
HI Kat,

Thank you very much for the info and this is very helpful. In addition, thank you for sharing your blog. Wow, you did the Ingles in 4 days.

As always, Take care.. Buen Camino!

Hi Dennis,

No problem :)
I had time constraints because I had booked my return flight but if I was to do it again, I would take 5 days, not 4, for a more enjoyable experience.

Buen Camino!
Kat

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.