• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hostel/ hotel/ refugio for novices? Sarria to SDC (Sept)

Saglette

Hi,

Apologies in advance to hardened pilgrims who think doing the last 111km doesn't count as a pilgrimage: my husband and I are leaving our children for a week for the first time in 13 years so it's as much as we can manage!

We fly in to SDC at 1615 on Sat 11 Sept and hope to take the bus to Lugo & then Sarria. Because we will arrive quite late, we want to have somewhere booked. Hotel Mar de Plata seems fine but is full: any other suggestions for somewhere around this price (€60/ double room) would be appreciated, as would any advice on transport but it seems there's a bus to Lugo (1'45") at 18.40 & then frequent buses to Sarria.

We hope to stay in a mixture of hotels and hostels but would like our own room most nights. Is accommodation in refugios always in dorm rooms? Do private hostels have double rooms? Or should we presume that we will need a hotel if we want privacy?

Do I need to bring a sleeping bag for a hostel or just if planning on staying in a refugio? If I need a sleeping bag, do I need a proper one or will a cotton sleeping bag liner suffice in September (I'm Irish so I have a reasonable tolerance of cold!)

We are planning to overnight in Sarria, Portomarin, Palas de Rei, Ribadiso, Arca do Pino and Santiago. This allows us a day in hand and a little bit of time in SDC before flying back to our children and daily life, hopefully renewed and refreshed.

Any suggestions for cheap hotels or alternative stopping points gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Apologies in advance to hardened pilgrims who think doing the last 111km doesn't count as a pilgrimage: my husband and I are leaving our children for a week for the first time in 13 years so it's as much as we can manage!

12 million pilgrims are expected to visit Santiago this year - only about 250 000 will walk parts of the way (and you'll be a part of that statistic!)

We fly in to SDC at 1615 on Sat 11 Sept and hope to take the bus to Lugo & then Sarria. Because we will arrive quite late, we want to have somewhere booked. Hotel Mar de Plata seems fine but is full: any other suggestions for somewhere around this price (€60/ double room) would be appreciated, as would any advice on transport but it seems there's a bus to Lugo (1'45") at 18.40 & then frequent buses to Sarria.

In 2007 my husband joined us at Sarria and we stayed at the Hotel Oca Villa De Sarria - we had two double rooms about 60 euro per room. It is right in the centre of the town and close to the camino route for the morning.

We hope to stay in a mixture of hotels and hostels but would like our own room most nights. Is accommodation in refugios always in dorm rooms? Do private hostels have double rooms? Or should we presume that we will need a hotel if we want privacy?

Very few hostels - private or otherwise - in Galicia have private rooms. You will more than likely have to book into a hotel if you want privacy.

Do I need to bring a sleeping bag for a hostel or just if planning on staying in a refugio? If I need a sleeping bag, do I need a proper one or will a cotton sleeping bag liner suffice in September (I'm Irish so I have a reasonable tolerance of cold!)

In September 2007 we only used silk sleeping bag liners and we were fine.

We are planning to overnight in Sarria, Portomarin, Palas de Rei, Ribadiso, Arca do Pino and Santiago. This allows us a day in hand and a little bit of time in SDC before flying back to our children and daily life, hopefully renewed and refreshed.

That is a doable itinerary. You might want to book somewhere in Santiago - just in case they have another big rush in September.

Any suggestions for cheap hotels or alternative stopping points gratefully received.

Thank you for your detailed response. I'm afraid I can't load AMAWALKER for some reason: my computer freezes over and I imagine it has the names of the hotels I should try to contact. However, I have emailed your suggestion in Sarria.

Would you mind awfully answering another question: if we want to stay in cheap hotels, do we need to book in advance? How much should we budget for them - we really want something basic but clean, preferably with own bathroom? We will sleep in a refugio at least once but I think we may be getting on a bit to enjoy the collective experience as a couple!

Thanks so much again (& I hope you're enjoying the world cup!)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Saglette,

My wife & I found (2009) that around 55 Euro a night got you something reasonable with a bathroom, not sure if being a "Holy Year" will push prices up a little.

I would write out some basic Spanish for "I would like a double room for tomorrow ... how much ...our names are.." and phone ahead, that's what we did and most people are patient and helpful.

In Sarria we stayed at Hotel Roma Calle Calvo Sotelo 2 (982 532211) & in Portomarin Albergue El Caminante (982 545176) (Don't have address but it is central) both were fine.

Buen Camino
Col

http://www.albergueinternacionalsarria.es/

Excellent English is spoken there, they take reservations, but I think it is all dormitory sleeping. You will need hostals to be assured of privacy.

A sleeping bag or sleep sack is required in albergues. They don't like sweaty pilgrims in direct contact with the bunk (though I fail to see a large difference in hygeine using a sleeping bag), though there is little thought given to the pillow in most places.

Prepare for crowds and rain.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In Portomarin we stayed at the large, new albergue O'Mirador which can be booked ahead. It has rooms of 3, 4, 6 and 8. If you wanted a double room or a room with only 3 beds I would definitely bookahead, especially this year. http://www.omiradorportomarin.com/albergue.php

In Palas de Rei we booked ahead and stayed in a 4 bed room at the Albergue Buen Camino in a room with 2 bunk beds.
http://www.alberguebuencamino.com/

There is only the albergue in Ribadiso whereas in Arzua 3km further, there are many 'habitaciones' (rooms) to let as well as Hostals with double rooms.

From Arzua you could walk to Arca 18.5km with lots of extra accommodation - the Albergue Via Lactea is very nice - 5 spacious rooms with 6 bunks in each http://www.alberguevialactea.com and then another ± 17k to Santiago.

Attachments

• O'Mirador Camas2.jpg
    O'Mirador Camas2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 8,550
  • Via Lactea.png
    Via Lactea.png
    478.3 KB · Views: 8,558
You won't be disappointed if you stop just before Portomarin:

"new albergue at Mercadoiro (9 euros), about 5.4 km before Portomarin. The owner has walked the Camino three times, and set up an albergue that he would have liked. It is a very popular rest stop before the push to Portomarin, but most pilgrims are driven to reach Portomarin because it is a stop on everyone´s stages. There were only 3 of us for the night in a modern conversion of a farmhouse."

Walk a bit past Palas del Rei, and you will be at the best albergue on the Camino:

"the albergue in San Xulian just after Palas de Rei is the best of the 200+ I have stayed in. The bar and dormitory has expanded into the building across the street. The new renovation includes a room for four and a room for eight."

You probably will need reservations at San Xulian:

San Xulián do Camino
Albergue O Abrigadoiro. Tel: (0034) 676 59 69 75

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi,

I got last year a list of private accomodations between Sarria and SDC sent by the Sarria tourism office.

It's attached below.

There are some mistakes on this list.

Perhaps the 2010 one is updated ?

Theo

Attachments

• Hebergements prives Sarria Santiago.jpg
    Hebergements prives Sarria Santiago.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 8,602
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there, just to say I might see ye on the road between Sarria and SDC - I'm a novice too and I arrive into Madrid on the 11th from Cork but won't be in Sarria 'til the 12th so will be a day behind ye. Can't wait!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi!

I walked from Sarria to S de C in June this year. It was a fantastic experience. Like yourself, I was a novice but I booked all my accommodation before I left via the internet. The only exception to this was in Portomarin where I had to 'phone my reservation at the Hotel Villa Jardin. All my accommodation was in Hotels. I was unsure of too many things with regard the Alberques etc and I didn't want to disturb anyone with my snoring. I also like my home comforts!!

If you want to find out more, check out http://michaelanolan.blogspot.com

If you click on My Itinerary you can find out more there and if you want more info just post a message and I'll be happy to answer any questions that I can.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.