• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hostel in Bayonne

MatteJa

Time of past OR future Camino
09/2015: Camino Francés (from Ponferrada to Finisterre)

06/2016: planning to finish the Camino Francés (from SJPDP to Ponferrada)
Hello! I have to sleep one night in Bayonne, does anyone know an hostel / hotel (possibly in the vicinity of) Bayonne train station? I am a student -- really short on cash, my budget for 1 night (1 person) would be approx. 30euro? The less, the better :p.

Thank you very much!! :=)))))

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a hotel over a cafe, down the road to the left as you exit the train station. Shared baths. I don't remember the price but it wasn't awful.

There used to be a private pilgrims place, across the river, and across the canal, in the old town towards the cathedral. I forget the address and it was unmarked but I was directed there by the tourist office, which had called ahead for me. It's a bed in the loft of an apartment, with bathroom. She had capacity for maybe half a dozen people. She does meals too.

I paid €38 at the Ibis Budget in Anglet, 20 min bus from Bayonne Gare. It is walkable from the airport if anyone is flying in

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you @long trails ! 38euro is a bit off the budget for me but I really have no clue about the prices in Bayonne (or even France haha). I will write down the name of the hotel you kindly provided me, if I don't find a cheaper accomodation.

Thanks!!.

Thank you @NorthernLight . You provided me some useful information!! So do you think it is okay for me if I don't book an hotel room and just ask the girl/guy at the tourist office if she/he can find me a room?

ALso it is worth to mention that I will arrive in Bayonne quite late, approx at 22p.m. ;((((. WIll I still find something at that time? Will the tourism office still be open?

Thanks!!.

P.S: Excuse me if my english isn't perfect, I am still learning it. :)))

The tourist office will be closed by then. Perhaps you can find an email address for them online and ask in advance.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Albergue in Biarritz near the gare in La Negresse. It is on the bus line to the Bayonne train station.

@NorthernLight Thank you! WIll do. :)

@C clearly Thank you very much! I wrote them an email asking if they have a room for 1 person/price (couldn't find the hostel on booking.com).

@biarritzdon Thank you very much! :)) Maybe it is a little too far away as I plan to catch a train in Bayonne train station at 7.45am.

Everyone has been really kind. Thank you very much !

Thank you @long trails ! 38euro is a bit off the budget for me but I really have no clue about the prices in Bayonne (or even France haha). I will write down the name of the hotel you kindly provided me, if I don't find a cheaper accomodation.

Thanks!!.

Thank you @NorthernLight . You provided me some useful information!! So do you think it is okay for me if I don't book an hotel room and just ask the girl/guy at the tourist office if she/he can find me a room?

ALso it is worth to mention that I will arrive in Bayonne quite late, approx at 22p.m. ;((((. WIll I still find something at that time? Will the tourism office still be open?

Thanks!!.

P.S: Excuse me if my english isn't perfect, I am still learning it. :)))

Check out this possibility re a pilgrim friendly place in Bayonne. This may be the same spot noted by Northern Light above. They take booking/reservations also.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Interesting to know about these other alburgues. The place I stayed was run by people who had never walked the camino but loved meeting pilgrims.

Have you tried looking at couchsurfing? I did a quick search and it seems there are plenty of couches available. Buen Camino, SY

@mspath WOW! I was looking for something like this but I wasn't sure it could exist in Bayonne. Thank you very much! I wrote them an email right away :))).

@SYates A friend told me about couchsurfing yesterday. I am not really used to technology and just know a tiny bit of it. I am currently waiting for a reply to the emails I wrote asking for accomodation. If all the albergues I wrote to are full I will ask a host using couchsurfing. Thanks!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You may check out also this one:
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/maison-diocesaine-saint-leon
100 places for pilgrims, according to the text, you get a single room with breakfast for 18-21 euro if you make a reservation ahead of time and state that you are a pilgrim. A Menu for 11 euro available at 7pm sharp.
From the Bayonne train station there are buses 4 and 14 going there (the stop name is Cité Universitaire)

Haven't slept there, just sharing the Eroski link. Buen Camino, peregrino!

@arthur1218 Thank you very much Arthur!! The Maison Diocesane looks fantastic. However I probably won't be accepted as their check-in closes at 20.00 (and I will arrive at Bayonne's train station at 22.10). I wrote them an email just in case.

Currently I am wating to receive some information from 4 places I wrote to. Fingers crossed :X

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and the support!!

Jacopo

Unfortunately "Maison Diocesane" and "Le Monte Carlo Hotel" didn't replied to my email. On the other hand "Albergue Bayonne" kindly replied, unfortunately I'll be too late to check in so they couldn't accept me as their guest.

The standard hotels are all too expensive for my budget, so I tried with couchsurfing and was about to contact a host but then a friend suggested me to try Airbnb. I found a cute room on Airbnb near the train station and that was ideal for me. I paid 30euro which was approx my budget and on the bright side I will share the apartment with a local that hopefully will advise me on good places to go.

Thank you for your help, all of you! Thankss =)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back