• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hostel in Madrid - which area?

Eve Alexandra

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Astorga-SDC, April 2022 SJPP-Muxia
I think??? this is my last travel question?? I need to spend the night in Madrid before getting my train from Puerta de Atocha to Pamplona the next day. Would you stay near the train station (hostel not hotel)? Or Plaza del Sol which is what my friend in Valencia suggested? She said the area around the train station is not very walker friendly and that the Plaza is a nicer area, easy to get a sim card, etc. Other than the sim, I'm going to be so jetlagged and overwhelmed that tourism is not going to be on my list of things to do but if its not a walkable area, that would stop me from staying near the train station. I got hopelessly lost in Madrid Airport the first time, and I'm trying to not get lost again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That link is super helpful. Someone mentioned it used to be seedy but is nice now. That may explain my friend's suggestion. Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What time is your train? If it was very early in the morning I’d stay near the train station. If it was nearer mid-morning I’d stay near Plaza del Sol, so I could experience the late afternoon / early nightlife there.

What time is your train? If it was very early in the morning I’d stay near the train station. If it was nearer mid-morning I’d stay near Plaza del Sol, so I could experience the late afternoon / early nightlife there.
I’m not sure what I’d be up for, so jetlagged. Probably going to look for some food, reorganize my pack, shower and sleep. 😆😆

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed at the hostel The Hat when I arrived in Madrid prior to walking my 2019 Camino Madrid. I slept in a comfortable dorm room, then spent one day in Madrid getting a sim card in the area and a sello at the church of Santiago and St John the Baptist. But if I had been taking a train out of Madrid the next morning I would certainly prefer a room close to the train station, preferably a private room to get a good night's sleep.

I stayed at the hostel The Hat when I arrived in Madrid prior to walking my 2019 Camino Madrid. I slept in a comfortable dorm room, then spent one day in Madrid getting a sim card in the area and a sello at the church of Santiago and St John the Baptist. But if I had been taking a train out of Madrid the next morning I would certainly prefer a room close to the train station, preferably a private room to get a good night's sleep.
Maybe I’ll try to get in to Madrid a bit earlier before I fly home to see a few things. The museum with the Picasso sounds awesome.

I think??? this is my last travel question?? I need to spend the night in Madrid before getting my train from Puerta de Atocha to Pamplona the next day. Would you stay near the train station (hostel not hotel)? Or Plaza del Sol which is what my friend in Valencia suggested? She said the area around the train station is not very walker friendly and that the Plaza is a nicer area, easy to get a sim card, etc. Other than the sim, I'm going to be so jetlagged and overwhelmed that tourism is not going to be on my list of things to do but if its not a walkable area, that would stop me from staying near the train station. I got hopelessly lost in Madrid Airport the first time, and I'm trying to not get lost again.
I do try to resist the urge to offer a suggestion that doesn’t answer the question posed, but as I read what you have written, I wonder if you have considered just getting on a train or bus to Pamplona as soon as possible after you arrive in Madrid. It doesn’t sound like there is anything you want to do in Madrid. If you‘re overwhelmed and jetlagged, being on a bus or train seems to be just as good a place to deal with it as in Madrid. Getting to Pamplona at night gives you the whole next day for getting over jet lag and enjoying the town.

If you search “bus pamplona” threads by the member @Anniesantiago, you will see her spin on the issue. There are several buses daily that leave directly from T4 in the airport. Getting to Atocha from the airport is also quick and easy if you prefer the train. Just a thought.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Madrid and think it is a wonderful place to spend some time! Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The third time I did my camino, I took the bus from the airport to Atocha Train Station. Stayed at a cheap hotel, (I believe) CC Atocha right by the train station. Game plan was to stay there for 2 nights and then get the train to Pamplona. The Prado Musuem and the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, are about a 5 minute walk.

Notes: Being by Atocha, you are in the center of Madrid. There are a series of hotels by the train station, ranging from inexpensive to expensive. Trains to Pamplona also leave from Atocha.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Buen Camino.

Mark

Hostal Major on Sol, if you can get in. Inexpensive, immaculate and just about as central as you can get. The ‘kilometre zero’ stone, from which distances in Spain measured is just outside.

I stay at the Hostal (Hotel) Barrera a short couple of blocks from the Atocha station. Small, clean, quiet and family-run. The area surrounding is fine, as safe as anywhere and close to a subway stop as well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Early. I’m not sure what I’d be up for, so jetlagged. Probably going to look for some food, reorganize my pack, shower and sleep. 😆😆
My recommendation would be to take the Metro from the airport to Plaza del Sol. It is about a 40 minute train ride. The ticket kiosks have flags and you can buy a ticket in English. Very easy. I always stay at Toc Hostel which is less than a 5 minute walk from the Sol Metro. The hostel is super clean. The beds are comfortable. There are rooms for women only. There are curtains for each bed with sockets and a light as well as lockers for your backpack. They offer breakfast, (don't remember the cost). There are plenty of restaurants nearby. There is a bar there and a kitchen that you can use. (I do not know if the kitchen is closed because of Covid). A Starbucks across the street, but why go there as there is a restaurant/bar next door with better and cheaper coffee. That is my vote. Also if you need anything that you forgot there is a FNAC, a Corte Inglis and other shops really nearby. Also I have gotten SIM cards from both Orange and Vodafone. I think they are both in the Plaza Del Sol. THey will probably both be busy. They are both good and I used to always use Orange. Now I use Vodafone as I think their prepay plans are a little bit better and they have more of them. More importantly to recharge your phone is super easy on Vodafone. They will send you a link when your 28 days are almost up. Make sure you do your recharge when your 28 days are over. You can change the link to English. It will take about a minute to finish your recharge. It must be the same plan that you originally bought. Also any recharge before your first 28 days is over will end when your original 28 days finishes. It is nowhere near as complicated as I made it sound. P.S. When you get your sim card make sure you bring your passport as it is necessary to get the card and to sign up. I always pay in cash ot makes it much easier I think. Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
WRT the jet lag, I humbly recommend being extremely cautious for the first few days, until one's internal clock has adjusted.

It would be terrible to stumble, or trip over an un-noticed obstacle, and have an injury right at the start of your trip.

Hoping you have a safe and fulfilling pilgrimage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My recommendation would be to take the Metro from the airport to Plaza del Sol. It is about a 40 minute train ride. The ticket kiosks have flags and you can buy a ticket in English. Very easy. I always stay at Toc Hostel which is less than a 5 minute walk from the Sol Metro. The hostel is super clean. The beds are comfortable. There are rooms for women only. There are curtains for each bed with sockets and a light as well as lockers for your backpack. They offer breakfast, (don't remember the cost). There are plenty of restaurants nearby. There is a bar there and a kitchen that you can use. (I do not know if the kitchen is closed because of Covid). A Starbucks across the street, but why go there as there is a restaurant/bar next door with better and cheaper coffee. That is my vote. Also if you need anything that you forgot there is a FNAC, a Corte Inglis and other shops really nearby. Also I have gotten SIM cards from both Orange and Vodafone. I think they are both in the Plaza Del Sol. THey will probably both be busy. They are both good and I used to always use Orange. Now I use Vodafone as I think their prepay plans are a little bit better and they have more of them. More importantly to recharge your phone is super easy on Vodafone. They will send you a link when your 28 days are almost up. Make sure you do your recharge when your 28 days are over. You can change the link to English. It will take about a minute to finish your recharge. It must be the same plan that you originally bought. Also any recharge before your first 28 days is over will end when your original 28 days finishes. It is nowhere near as complicated as I made it sound. P.S. When you get your sim card make sure you bring your passport as it is necessary to get the card and to sign up. I always pay in cash ot makes it much easier I think. Buen Camino
Well this is exactly what my friend in Valencia recommended,except for how to get to TOC Hostel. She said with jetlag brain staying here would be easy as well as getting my SIM card. I have a reservation already booked there, and have been waffling on whether to cancel it in order to stay closer to the train station.

She suggested taking the shuttle to the train station and then a taxi to the Plaza, which just felt hard, plus figuring out how to get back to the train station the next morning. I know it sounds dumb, but I know that when my brain is jetlagged (plus I also have adhd which doesn't mix well with jetlag in spite of being very well managed)... I was just trying to figure out how to simplify the public transportation as much as possible.

If I take the Metro to the Plaza, that would be Terminal 4, I think? For some reason, taking a taxi is just not appealing to me. I think its the language barrier that is throwing me off. How do I get from The hostel back to the train station in the morning?

WRT the jet lag, I humbly recommend being extremely cautious for the first few days, until one's internal clock has adjusted.

It would be terrible to stumble, or trip over an un-noticed obstacle, and have an injury right at the start of your trip.

Hoping you have a safe and fulfilling pilgrimage.

Right???? Jetlag is just something I take very seriously after having some wicked experiences with it in the past. I will be walking slowly and taking my time, for sure. Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If I take the Metro to the Plaza, that would be Terminal 4, I think?
There are two different public transport lines to the airport. One is the commuter rail line, called Cercanías, which goes from T4 to Atocha directly. To get to Puerta del Sol on Cercanías, you would have to transfer to Line C-3 or C-4, either at the stops of Chamartín or Nuevos Ministerios. It’s fast, usually not too crowded. I’ve never heard of anyone getting pickpocketed on Cercanías, though I am sure it happens.

The other option is the metro. There are metro stops in both T4 and T1-3. The line from the airport is pickpocket heaven, so be careful. I think you will have to change twice to get to Sol on the Metro, but it’s easy to find a metro map online. The Madrid metro is one of the world’s great metro systems, IMO, but it can be confusing if you are unfamiliar with it (or jet lagged and half asleep).

Well this is exactly what my friend in Valencia recommended,except for how to get to TOC Hostel. She said with jetlag brain staying here would be easy as well as getting my SIM card. I have a reservation already booked there, and have been waffling on whether to cancel it in order to stay closer to the train station.

She suggested taking the shuttle to the train station and then a taxi to the Plaza, which just felt hard, plus figuring out how to get back to the train station the next morning. I know it sounds dumb, but I know that when my brain is jetlagged (plus I also have adhd which doesn't mix well with jetlag in spite of being very well managed)... I was just trying to figure out how to simplify the public transportation as much as possible.

If I take the Metro to the Plaza, that would be Terminal 4, I think? For some reason, taking a taxi is just not appealing to me. I think its the language barrier that is throwing me off. How do I get from The hostel back to the train station in the morning?
It is super simple to get to the Toc from the Plaza Del Sol station. Check it out on google maps and print it. It is a big plaza with lots of people and tourists. Look around you will see the the Orange/Vodafone store. There are also lots of police around. Ask one. Show them the address and they will guide you. Remember when they send you down the correct street look for the Starbucks and turn right there. It is on the right side of the street just a few yards down the street.
Don't worry!!!! You are exhibiting all the signs of pre camino stress that we all have. Relax. It isn't hard. Trust me within a week or so you will be veteran. There are plenty of people who are on this thread who know from experience what they are talking about. Especially Peregrina 2000 is without a doubt our Queen of all things Camino, As @davebugg is our King of all things equipment and walking with knowledge to protect from injury. We are all forum friends and have a camino love for each other and for you. But as you can see below I have a little different take on your journey from our benevolent Queen ;) :)
I do try to resist the urge to offer a suggestion that doesn’t answer the question posed, but as I read what you have written, I wonder if you have considered just getting on a train or bus to Pamplona as soon as possible after you arrive in Madrid. It doesn’t sound like there is anything you want to do in Madrid. If you‘re overwhelmed and jetlagged, being on a bus or train seems to be just as good a place to deal with it as in Madrid. Getting to Pamplona at night gives you the whole next day for getting over jet lag and enjoying the town.

If you search “bus pamplona” threads by the member @Anniesantiago, you will see her spin on the issue. There are several buses daily that leave directly from T4 in the airport. Getting to Atocha from the airport is also quick and easy if you prefer the train. Just a thought.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Madrid and think it is a wonderful place to spend some time! Buen camino, Laurie
I would tend to agree with you about this, but I do have the luxury of old age and retirement to take my time and spend an extra few days to rest and start my camino. In the case of our new pilgrim friend , Eva Alexandra, I think with her obvious pre camino jitters it may be better to limit her challenges to a little less at the beginning. I get the impression she does not speak any Spanish and may not have alot of international experience, Let her get to the albergue/hostel, shower, eat and sleep and the next morning after a good tortilla or some pan tostada and some good cafe con leche, go back to her hostel and get help on how to get to the bus station and start her trek to St. Jean. Maybe there is a veteran who is going to be in Madrid at the same time and can help her out.

Well, I'm beginning to understand why my friend suggested the bus shuttle to the train station and then a taxi. Changing metro lines when I'm brain fried is just the sort of thing that I'm inclined to completely mess up.

I've traveled internationally 3 times, but only once where I don't speak the language. My previous camino, I managed just fine on the camino, but Madrid was something else, language wise. It was awful and I'm trying to not repeat that.

Thank you, all, for the advice and help. I'm going to go on a practice walk and then make a decision. lol

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was just trying to figure out how to simplify the public transportation as much as possible.
Then get the airport bus into Madrid, and choose a hostel that is within walking distance of where you get off, and also within walking distance of catching the train next day.

Take ear plugs and eye pad so you can go to sleep early, as city hostels are not pilgrim friendly.

In May 2013, I found myself needing a hotel in Madrid. I had not planned to stay in Madrid before getting a train to Pamplona. However, I was at least 6 hrs later than planned due to airline trouble in the US and needed a bed in Madrid. When I arrived at the airport, I took a train to the Atocha-Renfe station to find a hotel close to this specific rail station that I would need to get to Pamplona. I asked a young English-speaking couple on the street if they would suggest one for me (a 67 year old female backpacker). They suggested Hotel Mediodia that is located across the boulevard from Atocha. I stayed in a nice single hotel room 2 nights and received a pilgrim discount. I slept so long due to the long travel time and EU time difference. I took an early train to Pamplona so I could spend some of my time there to sightsee and find the Pamplona Bus Station for the Altus bus that would take me to SJPP the next day. After my pilgrimage, I returned to Madrid for my flight home, staying again (with pilgrim discount) at Hotel Mediodia.

I canceled the hostel at Plaza del Sol. I've sent out emails to a couple of places suggested here to sleep, within walking distance of the train station. I think it's the right call for me, given how jetlagged I am going to be. It's all starting to come together, thanks to all of your help. Thank you!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My favourite is Plaza Mayor or near Atocha

I'll take my train to Pamplona, sleep one night there,

Can sympathise with you with the jet lag. You can do strange things after travelling east to west.

If you are thinking Atocha and then one night in Pamplona (see Cafe Iruna) you might want to take a later train than the 9:30. There are about 8 trains a day Atocha-Pamplona and the mid-afternoon one would allow you more time to unwind.

The Retiro Park is just around the corner from Atocha, a little green oasis in the middle of the city.

I canceled the hostel at Plaza del Sol. I've sent out emails to a couple of places suggested here to sleep, within walking distance of the train station. I think it's the right call for me, given how jetlagged I am going to be. The next morning I'll take my train to Pamplona, sleep one night there, and once I'm within 30 days, I will arrange for the drive to SJPP with Teletaxi San Fermin. It's all starting to come together, thanks to all of your help. Thank you!
Hi Eve
I booked into Hostal Residencial Fernandez across the road from Atocha to help with my jetlag. It was mentioned yesterday on the forum.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Eve,
i’m staying at Sleep’n atocha and hope it’s ok. Like you I wanted to be close to the train station as I’m getting the 08:00 train to Seville the next day. Enjoy the journey.

Hi Eve,
i’m staying at Sleep’n atocha and hope it’s ok. Like you I wanted to be close to the train station as I’m getting the 08:00 train to Seville the next day. Enjoy the journey.
I've stayed there and it was fine. Happy travels!

If you do stay near the Plaza del Sol or Plaza Mayor (my favorite area of Madrid), here are a couple places that you might want to check out:

Hostal La Casa de la Plaza (on Booking.com)
and
The Hat
Love The Hat...call or text them for a better price than thru Booking ( fluent English speakers available to help). The location is good for shopping, access to the Apple Store, and transportation links. The staff is amazingly helpful and the atmosphere is very friendly. I try to stay here both coming into Spain before I begin my camino and the night before I catch my flight home.

€46,-
Another vote for The Hat. Its real close to Plaza Mayor & Calle Cava Baja - tapas places all around

Can sympathise with you with the jet lag. You can do strange things after travelling east to west.

If you are thinking Atocha and then one night in Pamplona (see Cafe Iruna) you might want to take a later train than the 9:30. There are about 8 trains a day Atocha-Pamplona and the mid-afternoon one would allow you more time to unwind.

The Retiro Park is just around the corner from Atocha, a little green oasis in the middle of the city.
@Corned Beef, can you tell me more about how you found 8 trains from Madrid to Pamplona? Right now I am finding 4- two that leave at 9:30 and two that leave at 15:20. My flight doesn't land until 8:45, so no luck making it thru customs, on a bus for 30 min and on a train. I would rather train than fly. Wherre are these other trains listed? Thanks!

For train listings in Spain much depends on where you are looking . renfe.com is a good start. Much also depends on what you are looking for. Looking for trains Madrid- Pamplona usually produces 2 trains per day, looking for trains Madrid-Irun provides 6 other trains that also happen to stop in Pamplona on their way to Irun. Renfe’s website will not volunteer this information nor any other information that might be helpful to a traveler. It makes the assumption that you should be able to make your way to a railway station and ask someone. Renfe’s website has never lived in Spain 😉

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Fwiw my friend who lives in Spain helped me to navigate it. It reminds me of how my own small town says things like “meet x-town school” and newcomers are like “uhhhh, is that the elem, middle, or high school?”

It’s not you. It’s the system. It assumes you’re familiar with it.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back