• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hostel in Maronas?

windeatt

I'm sure I read somewhere that there is a new hostal in Maronas (20 km or so after Negreira) but I can't find the message anywhere now - am I dreaming it?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ah, I wasn't dreaming - I read it on another forum (http://www.caminosantiago.com/web/foroperegrinos.htm). Unfortunately I cannot seem to find a way of linking to a particular message but here is the link to the picture:

http://fotos.subefotos.com/dd249e704183 ... 2c52do.jpg

Lola, who posted the news (message dated 9th May) said that that they didn't want to walk 33 km from Negreira to Oliveiroa and found this new albergue. You need to ask at the Bar Antelo which is next to the Bar Victoriano - both together on the big main road LC-403 which you hit just after coming off the path which takes you past the village of Maronas. She says it is about 17 km from Negreira but I would say it's more like 19 km. She said it was very new and very good.

This is very good news for those of us who cannot conceive of walking 30 km in a day. Please post comments if you use it or know about it?

Windy

There's a new albergue, not very well known, in Villaserio, between Negreira and Olveiroa. In the old school, I've heard, but I'm not completely sure. But a friend of mine always go there, he says is fantastic!

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello,

I´m windeatt´s daughter. Stayed in the new hostel at Santa Marina ask at the second bar along the road (there are no signs or anything indicating there is an albergue) It was very nice, kitchen, 10 beds in two rooms, lovely living space with lots of interesting books to read etc. It cost 10 euros though which I thought was a bit pricey but if you don´t want to walk over 30km in a day it´s a great option.

I also met some people who stayed in the school, they said it was very nice, just mattresses on the floor but there were a few different rooms and apparently even hot showers, they reccommended it.

Found the municipal albergues quite crowded on the Santiago-Finisterre route, seems it´s getting really quite popular. Especially the first hostel at Negreira as there are only 16 beds! They also have tents outside but the night we were there even all the tents were full and people were sleeping on the floor etc...

Highly reccommend walking here though (am still in finisterre) amazing experience to walk to the seaside.... :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did not stay at the schoolhouse, but I know a Spanish woman who did stay there and said it was quite adequate and nice!
I highly recommend having dinner at the Casa Rural "As Pias" in Olveiroa. One of the best meals I've had in a long time and only 12 Euros! A bottle of wine, real homemade flan (NOT in a plastic container!) and the best Caldo Gallego ever!!!

Buen Camino,

Re: Hostel in Maronas?/ cafe bar Antelo

I stayed here in early June 2009. Yes it is clean but the shower was cold. I believe it it could have been just a case of saving the hot water to reduce costs.
I ate the evening meal in the bar and found the water, wine and bread were kept in short supply. just one glass of wine per person, and was charged €1 for an additional small glass. I just thought it was small minded and left a poor memory of the premises.
It compared very badly to the various other bars and albergues that I had used over the previous five weeks. The only description that came to mind was "petty & mean". :?:

What a pity to miss a great oportunity as there is no albergue for 6km or more on either side.

I passed the old school on the way.
It looks a lot like San Roque in Corcubion - just half the size.

Attachments

• Schoolhouse small.jpg
    Schoolhouse small.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 2,858
  • Negative0-05-04(1).jpg
    Negative0-05-04(1).jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 2,834
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked through here this morning, having stayed in the O'Reiro albergue in Vilarserio (clean but cold) because the rain was too much to go on to Maroñas as I had hoped to. But I was up early and out on the road, and stopped for desayuno at the café at the albergue Casa Pepa which is so new it is not even in Brierley's 2013 guide. But the Galician tourist office had it on their list, which is worth getting before setting out. The couple there was very warm and greeted me with enthusiasm and kindness.
Casa Pepa: 981 852 881

I stopped today just 18k from Maroñas, in Logoso, the last lodging before Hospital (fortunately just before another torrential downpour) and found a new Albergue that opened last fall. It is really very nice, with two dorms of 6 beds each and also a private room. It is called O Logoso. I am very glad to be here.
O Logoso: 981 727 602

These are Albergues, not hostels, but very modern and comfortable ones.

I, too, passed the Casa Rural As Pias in Olviero - stopped at the bar for a refreshment and the snack they gave me (gratis) was nearly a full lunch. It was lovely and I toyed seriously with the idea of stopping there, but wanted to go a bit further to close in the distance to Finisterre tomorrow.

Just a few very fresh notes!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.