• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hostel light vs Hostile light

Americanperegrino

Time of past OR future Camino
Oct 2012
May 2016
I'm a gadget guy, It's one of my many faults. On my last CDS one of the issues was using my headlamp as my flashlight inside the Hostel. My headlamp is a bright 150 lumens so, I always had to fumble around partially covering the light so I wouldn't wake up other peregrinos. I found this little light. It's 10 lumens , weighs next to nothing, and has a 12 hour burn time. IMO great for those late night trips to the bathroom.

Attachments

• princeton tec.jpg
    princeton tec.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 83
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree about using your iphone. I just went to settings and dialed up how much dimness/brightness I needed depending on where I was. And I could cut it off instantly by putting it against my body or putting my hand over it. Usually I had the brightness thing up about half way and that was plenty. But I have to admit it might be a struggle to convince my husband of this when (hopefully) we go next September. He is a flashlight guy. But I will try.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
During the nite I usually have my phone plugged in...out of reach. Besides, sounds like your hubby s a Gadget junkie too.

I am a tech nerd too, and am having almost as fun planning for, trying out and getting equipment as I will have walking in May. I've never had a headlamp though and can see how that would be good to have for early morning hiking. What simple, light, long-battery-life model do you recommend Americanperegrino?

Many excellent choices available. I like anything from Petzl, Black Diamond, Princeton Tec. 150 lumens is plenty for walking (as compared to running, climbing, Biking etc.). I use a Princeton Tec Remix-3 oz, comfortable, LED, long batt life and easy battery replacement. Don't get a Home Depot special, etc. They will fail sooner or later. On my CDS 2012 I walked quite a bit early morning 2-3am ish, so, a few hours of nite. The Meseta at nite, absolutely magical!! Try a couple of nite walks(early Morning)if you can. http://www.rei.com/product/889914/princeton-tec-remix-headlamp

Hey, I just noticed your walking May 2016. When?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Walking the Meseta by starlight perhaps, but anything with woods, forks in the proverbial road, or drop-offs...no thank you. I will roll over and wait to be woken up at 0500 by the early risers.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm a gadget guy, It's one of my many faults. On my last CDS one of the issues was using my headlamp as my flashlight inside the Hostel. My headlamp is a bright 150 lumens so, I always had to fumble around partially covering the light so I wouldn't wake up other peregrinos. I found this little light. It's 10 lumens , weighs next to nothing, and has a 12 hour burn time. IMO great for those late night trips to the bathroom.
Thank you for the consideration. That sounds like a better solution than waking everyone with your light. On another side. I found almost all hostels had enough ambient light even in the wee hours to safely navigate to the restroom and even to pack my bag in the early hours without light, by organizing the previous evening.

I found this little light. It's 10 lumens , weighs next to nothing, and has a 12 hour burn time. IMO great for those late night trips to the bathroom.
Even better, look for a version with a red LED. Then, you are even less likely to disturb other sleepers.

Also, as a gadget guy, you can get headlights that include both stronger white and softer red lights and an option for the red to blink, like @Tincatinker suggests above with his bike light. More weight than any "photon" style light, but far more versatile if you plan to do any night/road walking.

The one LED light is fantastic for the wee hours in an albergue. And, the red, or I prefer green, LEDs are much softer and less obnoxious than the white. I normally carry one of these as a backup to my headlamp.
I just went to settings and dialed up how much dimness/brightness
Now this I didn't know. What kind of gadget guy am I? Thanks for the info.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here's another vote for the red lights if you don't want to disturb your neighbors at night. On US Navy ships (and, I assume, on others - but I can speak only from personal experience) we use right lights after sunset in the berthing areas and on the bridge (ie, pilothouse). Red lights don't interfere with your night-adjusted vision, and you can sleep undisturbed in a red-lit area.

My wife bought me a Timex Expedition for my 2012 Camino as I didn't want to bring my "good" watch, it has an push button Indiglo dial light to check the time at night and I found this sufficient to light my way to the loo at night time without disturbing anyone in the process. Mornings were not a problem as we were mostly the last one to leave the albergues.

In an ideal world, you'd have your stuff together and ready to go before you go to bed. Most light infractions are caused by someone trying to find something. There is enough ambient light to do most things, except find something in the dark, deep recesses of a backpack or stuff sack, but easily enough to put on clothes, quietly make your way to the bathroom, put last items in the backpack and sneak out. We probably were able to do this effectively 85% of the time, so a solid B.

If you're leaving early, please don't slam the door on the way out. Seen people be so quiet, but then let the door slam. Kind of funny now, but wasn't at the time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's the one time where headlamps aren't the best option, since they shine wherever you look, which is usually in someone's face (unintentionally, but nevertheless very annoying). And I agree, red lights are much better when walking around a room full of sleeping people. Those little keychain lights like the one posted by Americanperigrino can usually be found with a red LED in lieu of white,

I used a Petzl e+light on my Camino last year with great satisfaction. It weighs less than 1 ounce (28gr) and has a retractable cord that you can use to wear it as a headlamp or on your hand. It is not blindingly bright but is more than sufficient to find your way as you walk. It has several intensity settings and both solid and blinking red. I found I could navigate in albergues and also read comfortably at night without disturbing anyone with the red setting. I brought spare 2032 watch batteries for it but never needed them, and the spare batteries weigh just a couple of grams. Available at REI in the US and many other places too. I attached a string to mine and wore it around my neck full time for use whenever it was needed. So good that I bought one for my daughter who is heading out for Greece to work with refugees soon.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you're leaving early, please don't slam the door on the way out. Seen people be so quiet, but then let the door slam. Kind of funny now, but wasn't at the time.

It's truly amazing, isn't it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used a Petzl e+light on my Camino last year with great satisfaction. It weighs less than 1 ounce (28gr) and has a retractable cord that you can use to wear it as a headlamp or on your hand. It is not blindingly bright but is more than sufficient to find your way as you walk. It has several intensity settings and both solid and blinking red. I found I could navigate in albergues and also read comfortably at night without disturbing anyone with the red setting. I brought spare 2032 watch batteries for it but never needed them, and the spare batteries weigh just a couple of grams. Available at REI in the US and many other places too. I attached a string to mine and wore it around my neck full time for use whenever it was needed. So good that I bought one for my daughter who is heading out for Greece to work with refugees soon.
I've been eyeing it for a while because it's light enough to justify carrying it on the off chance that I decide to make a pre-dawn start and dim enough for use in the albergue. The solid red light is perfect for albergue use and the blinking red lights are perfect for walking against traffic in dim light.

Reviews have been hot and cold about it with complaints related to grit in the lever arm and lack of real brightness on the trail. Did you have any issues with durability? And would you be comfortable finding your way on the trail in the dark?

It works for me outside in the dark on a path or trail. I wouldn't recommend it for fast travel on technical terrain. For those in the US I suggest you buy one at REI, test it for your use indoors and out, and return it if it doesn't meet your needs. I still use it to read in bed at night after my wife turns out the light- it doesn't bother her a bit.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
At those necessary moments in the Albergue I use a Red light, one of those clip-on cyclists tail-lights. Provides sufficient illumination for navigation but seems not to disturb the sleep of others.

In 'blinky' mode its also an additional safety device, coupled with my hi-viz, early morning, late evening and in fog

This is a great idea, especially for road safety, too. You can get those little clip-on bike lights really cheap. I'm adding this to my list.

Kind of wondering why people don't pack a sleep mask - very light and tiny - if lights at night are such a common problem?

I wore one and then I got ridiculised for this. Seemed to be the most humorous thing some elder French gentlemen ever saw in their life. They were laughing and pointing towards me.
Then again , when coming in at midday , they had put their packs on the beds and I politely asked them not to do that. Bedbugs and all. So I was not their best friends....ok got sidetracked....

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I found a great little keychain light made by Coghlans that weighs less than 1oz and has a crank arm to charge so no need to change batteries. Emits a dim light but plenty to see where you're going and the bonus is that it cost $2.49. I do like the idea of put a small strip of red cello tape over the lightbulb!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 3
I bought a little book light to illuminate the inside of my pack if I needed it. I turned it on inside the pack. I think I used it once.

Using any light in an albergue after dark is one of those times when LESS IS MORE. The smaller the light the better. Better yet, use nothing.

Use tiny LED lights or wristwatch lights inside. If you MUST use a light to find stuff in your pack or crowded albergue, consider using a red light. I find there is usually enough ambient light to find your way around.

While very clever, the torch / flashlight setting on your iPhone or other smart phone is too bright for indoor use, especially when others are trying to sleep nearby. I use an airline-provided eyeshade to counter this if I have to sleep in shared accommodations...weighs almost nothing...LOL...

Only use headlamps, even if hand-held, OUTSIDE to light your walking path. Even if set to red, they are usually too bright for indoors use.

Finally, in the loo, once you are there, you should be behind a closed door or curtain, so have at it with the lights. On the other hand, if you cannot "find yourself" in the loo, perhaps there are other issues at work...;)

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In an ideal world, you'd have your stuff together and ready to go before you go to bed. Most light infractions are caused by someone trying to find something. There is enough ambient light to do most things, except find something in the dark, deep recesses of a backpack or stuff sack, but easily enough to put on clothes, quietly make your way to the bathroom, put last items in the backpack and sneak out. We probably were able to do this effectively 85% of the time, so a solid B.

Thank you Telelama. Slamming of doors is one of my most memorable annoyances of my Camino. Here are a few other rules of common good manners I think should be posted:

1. Always close doors, never slam.
2. Never use plastic bags in your pack. The rustling of those bags is absolutely unnecessary. I know they are cheap and effective but waking others with that noise is just bad manners. The nylon stuff sacks I used were bad enough. An Australian walking mate suggested linen bags. Not a bad idea.
3. Use your soft voice when in the bunk areas. A group of Italian cyclists thought it was appropriate to have a full volume conversation at the foot of my bunk, theirs was 40 feet away. They were quite shocked when told them to move on, after all they were interrupting my afternoon siesta.
4. Minimize use of hot water. Energy is expensive in Spain too.
5. Cyclists; use your bell frequently. You are perfectly silent to everyone else.

Not the fault of the pilgrims but squeaky hinges were so common that I am determined to take a small can of WD 40 on my next Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
[[Not the fault of the pilgrims but squeaky hinges were so common that I am determined to take a small can of WD 40 on my next Camino.]]

Seems like a good quality olive oil might work, too.
No, some metals react badly with cooking oil, you get stinky sticky, sometimes green stuff no hostaliero should be punished with cleaning out of the hinges. Oil through metal grid is how margarine is made, just in clean environment.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Can you use butter to quiet down French peregrinos who giggle and point fingers !??

Thank you Telelama. Slamming of doors is one of my most memorable annoyances of my Camino

The slamming of doors was my wife's biggest pet peeve. On our second Camino, she brought a couple of sheets of small, round, self-adhesive felt pads which she put on the door frame to lessen the impact of the door hitting the frame. She only put them on the doors into our room at the albergue and/or bathroom door(s). She was pretty discreet about it and we always like to think of the better night's sleep we may have provided for all pilgrims staying in that room in the future.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.