• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hostelling International membership?

WandererJolie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (July, 2015)
I'm going through the CSJ guides for the coastal route, and I've noticed (so far) at least one albergue requires a membership to Hostelling International. Has anyone NEEDED an HI membership on their camino? Do you think it would be a good idea to get one?
I will be walking in July/August Camino del Norte.
(The membership is $35CAD I don't want to invest yet.)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm going through the CSJ guides for the coastal route, and I've noticed (so far) at least one albergue requires a membership to Hostelling International. Has anyone NEEDED an HI membership on their camino? Do you think it would be a good idea to get one?
The cheapest Hostelling association is the Scottish one! I joined and used it several times, most notably in Toledo and Avila where they keep the card until you return the sheets!! But I can assure you that a Credencial is as good as and will get you in. However, I was SAVED in San Sebastián where the youth hostel was full but thanks to my card I had been able to book and reserve online ahead of time.

Hi, WandererJolie!

Haven't been on del Norte yet. This year I walked Camino de Invierno and in Quiroga there was HI sign on the front door of Albergue which was not pilgrim orientated. My thoughts were almost the same about membership but the hospitalera just asked for pilgrim passport and that was it.

Ultreia!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have walked the CN in '10 and '14 (June-July) and not ever needed an HI membership.

You will be absolutely fine without. There has been an influx of new places to stay in these years as the CN becomes an alternative to the much busier CF. Especially in summer, the options are more than they have been in years with many more opening as popularity increases.

The CN is incredible. Absolutely incredible.

Trust in the arrows,
Simeon

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back