• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hostels and albergues

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Are the showers private in the albergues?

Hi, Joei, welcome to the forum.

As a general rule, yes the showers are private. If they are not (as in Castro Dozón on the Sanabrés), they will at least be sex-segregated. In fact, most of the newer albergues have separate male and female bathrooms and showers but that is not always the case. I don't think this is much of an issue, but occasionally there are slip-ups and someone will be seen in a less covered state than they would prefer to be seen. In my 17 years of walking caminos, no one has ever been the least bit interested when that happened, though.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Peregrina2000..is Castro Dozon on the Primitivo...I thought on the Sanabres?

But back to topic: on the Frances I know that the Xunta albergue in O Cebreiro is an open space but sex segregated.
Did not mind but lots of ladies did.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, generally the showers in albergues are private - each person showers in a separate cubicle with a door or curtain for privacy. In some albergues, the room is co-ed and you could be showering in a cubicle (but with wall and curtain) next door to someone of the opposite sex. In those places you would also brushing you teeth at a sink next to others.

I understand there are a few places with multi-person showers, but @peregrino2000 points out that they are sex-segregated. I haven't encountered one of those.

The title of your post included the word "hostels." The words "hostel" and "hostal" mean different things in different languages and countries. In Spain, "hostal" refers to a small private accommodation, often a family-run business, that does not fit in the official category of "hotel" but is almost like a small hotel. It would have all the facilities and comforts you want and is likely be a bit less expensive. In a hostal, you might have a choice of a less-expensive room with "shared bath" but you would always be able to shower in private. In my experience there is a full bathroom which one person uses at a time.

As a general rule, yes the showers are private. If they are not (as in Castro Dozón on the Sanabrés), they will at least be sex-segregated. In fact, most of the newer albergues have separate male and female bathrooms and showers but that is not always the case. I don't think this is much of an issue, but occasionally there are slip-ups and someone will be seen in a less covered state than they would prefer to be seen. In my 17 years of walking caminos, no one has ever been the least bit interested when that happened, though.

@peregrina2000
Last fall, I stepped out of the shower in one of these separate female bathrooms, entirely unclothed, as the space in the shower was inadequate to dry and dress. At the same moment, the door of the bathroom was opening to the sound of a male voice as a hospitalero was showing a female new arrival the facilities. I stepped back onto the wet shower floor and fell heavily, hitting my head and other portions of my anatomy. Two reflections followed: 1. Think out these things in advance. Instinctive modesty could get you injured and end your camino. 2. Very few showers floors on the camino have any sort of rubber mat. They are very slippery.

Like said: everyone is far too tired and private is in the eye of the beheld.
But, one thing sometimes really bother me is lack of space to hang the clean cloths and important personal belongings, even I had a dry bag with me....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I've found the biggest problem with the showers is the quantity of them and the hot water, privacy becomes a tertiary issue at best.

Hi Peregrina2000..is Castro Dozon on the Primitivo...I thought on the Sanabres?

But back to topic: on the Frances I know that the Xunta albergue in O Cebreiro is an open space but sex segregated.
Did not mind but lots of ladies did.

Hi, Sabine, I edited that as soon as I posted it so you must have seen the pre-edit version. Yes it is on the Sanabrés!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Are the showers private in the albergues?
Hi, we walked from SDC to Muxia and Finisterre last part of May. We found separated mens/womens facilities in Negreira at El Carmen, but the showers in the women's restroom were glass partitions, so you could see the other party showering (there were two showers). They were very nice and clean, but no hooks and buttons that would shut the water off every 60 seconds. Water was hot, though, and the one toilet was in a separate, lockable compartment. Sinks were side by side in a counter. This was a private alberge; the Xunta there had private baths, communal showers. We looked at it, but it was quite a walk from town. Dumbria's Xunta is brand new and beautiful, with sex separated bathrooms; within the rooms, the toilet and shower compartments are individual rooms with locks. We also stayed at Casa Pepa (As Maronas). It was one large bunkroom, with one large communal bathroom. All toilets and showers were in stalls like you'd see in a public bathroom, but it was pretty cramped. Muxia's Bela Muxia Albergue is absolutely spectacular....beautiful four pod bed areas, lovely womens/mens baths with all private stalls, and private accommodations that are lovely should you wish that. The staff are truly servants. In Finisterre, we rented a pension - basic but clean and comfy room with private bath that was so welcome at the end! So there are all sorts of "ways to stay" in our experience. It is so true that you don't really care when you are so tired at the end of the day whether someone is showering nearby.

I do recommend taking some sort of hook, bungy type cord, or suction cup hook for hanging your personal items in the shower. I found that a small drawstring bag from REI worked great because the drawstring allowed me to hang it in a shower environment. I threw alot of clothes/towels over the shower curtain rod or divider when there was one. My towel (travel towel) had a snap loop on one corner, so it was also easy to hang.

Hope this is helpful...

Hi, we walked from SDC to Muxia and Finisterre last part of May. We found separated mens/womens facilities in Negreira at El Carmen, but the showers in the women's restroom were glass partitions, so you could see the other party showering (there were two showers). They were very nice and clean, but no hooks and buttons that would shut the water off every 60 seconds. Water was hot, though, and the one toilet was in a separate, lockable compartment. Sinks were side by side in a counter. This was a private alberge; the Xunta there had private baths, communal showers. We looked at it, but it was quite a walk from town. Dumbria's Xunta is brand new and beautiful, with sex separated bathrooms; within the rooms, the toilet and shower compartments are individual rooms with locks. We also stayed at Casa Pepa (As Maronas). It was one large bunkroom, with one large communal bathroom. All toilets and showers were in stalls like you'd see in a public bathroom, but it was pretty cramped. Muxia's Bela Muxia Albergue is absolutely spectacular....beautiful four pod bed areas, lovely womens/mens baths with all private stalls, and private accommodations that are lovely should you wish that. The staff are truly servants. In Finisterre, we rented a pension - basic but clean and comfy room with private bath that was so welcome at the end! So there are all sorts of "ways to stay" in our experience. It is so true that you don't really care when you are so tired at the end of the day whether someone is showering nearby.

I do recommend taking some sort of hook, bungy type cord, or suction cup hook for hanging your personal items in the shower. I found that a small drawstring bag from REI worked great because the drawstring allowed me to hang it in a shower environment. I threw alot of clothes/towels over the shower curtain rod or divider when there was one. My towel (travel towel) had a snap loop on one corner, so it was also easy to hang.

Hope this is helpful...
We're doing the Camino da Costa in September, does anyone have / know of the kinds of Alberques/ Hotels PDF's / guides that seem to exist for the Camino Frances ? If so we would love to know how to access them
Jon Gregg, Vermont USA

@jon gregg, if you check out the list of 'Most Popular Resources' below, you'll see a pdf to download with this info.
Buen Camino
Suzanne :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hope this is helpful...

Do agree about Bela Muxia. I always stay there. Spotlessly clean (without being overly prettyfied) and nice hospitaleros. Close to perfection.

/BP

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Suzanne
In the Most Popular Resources, I only see a PDF for Alberques on the Camino Frances, can you tell me where I can find the list for the Camino Frances ?
Thanks
Jon

Hi, Jon, I think this is the document Suzanne was referring to. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...df-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.404/ There is also a very good list on the Via Lusitana website:

http://www.vialusitana.org/en/albergues_eng/ But for some strange reason, they don't list their own newly opened albergue in Alpriate, 20 km from the Lisbon cathedral!

On the Norte, in Pobena, are the strangest showers: coed, showerheads on opposing walls, with just a curtain separationg them.

In Lugo, on the Primitivo, huge shower enclosure with a number of showerheads. When bathroom door opens you are exposed to the main hallway. Reminded me of the loos back in the day when teaching at uni in Ukraine where you squted along the wall, alaong an enclosure together with many, many others.

Other than that, Hotel Jakue has transparent showers, but in gender specific washrooms. Muni in Logrono has no s'ace for you to chamge in shower space so you mist come out in what God gave you.

Bit these are exceptions, not the rule. Not that anyone cares or looks. After all, there are all pilgrims undressing in the dorm without giving it a second thought, so shower is not much of an issue.

Hi, Jon, I think this is the document Suzanne was referring to. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...df-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.404/ There is also a very good list on the Via Lusitana website:

http://www.vialusitana.org/en/albergues_eng/ But for some strange reason, they don't list their own newly opened albergue in Alpriate, 20 km from the Lisbon cathedral!
Hi. Looks like a very thorough list. Where can I find the list you made for the Camino Frances? Thank you!
Joy

€83,-
I seem to remember the two bathrooms in the refugio at Palas de Rei had tiled wall partions but no doors or curtains? We sorted it by pinning Senors on one and Senoras on the other.
There was soon a long queue for the ladies so they just went in with the guys anyway!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back