• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hostels/Hotels in O Cebreiro

reenabluewaters

Hi there! Can anyone suggest a good place to stay in O Cebreiro? Also, from what I've read, there are several routes to O Cebreiro from Villafranca. Can anyone suggest what is the route with the most scenic view? Thank you!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Dragante route has the best views. It is long, has a lot of steep climbs and descents. It is poorly marked, and has no services or overnight stops.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes but be careful staying @ O'Cebreiro, it seems that the toilets are very smelly, & herd 2 counts of not been that great either, however the town was great when I was there, snow & very cold, guess it's warmed up a bit now. & I've herd La Faba is great to stay @ but we were to stop either side.

When I was in O Cebreiro, it was lovely.
The albergue was clean (though the kitchen was NOT well-equipped) and the showers and toilets were spotless.

So as usual, perhaps it depends on who the hospitalero is?
Weird...

HOWEVER...considering the tiny amount of money they ask to stay there, seems it wouldn't hurt a pilgrim to pick up a broom or mop and clean some showers or toilets themselves?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Albergue de O Cebreiro

Overall impression:
Condition: Refurbished in 2007. Very well
Hostel Availability: All year
Price: 5 euros
Places
Total places: 104
Number of beds in bunk: 104
Number of places in soil:
Number of mattresses on floor:
Number of beds:
Room Description: Two floors and a mansard
Reserve a place in the hostel: No
Admission requirements for access to the hostel: pilgrim credential
Opening hours: 13:00
Closing time: 22:00
Possibility to leave or not when you close: Yes
Laundry: Yes
Washing machine: Yes, and dryer. 4.40 euros to wash and dry 1 euro
Heating: Yes
Refrigerator: No
Hot water: Yes
Showers: 20
Toilets: 20
Lockers or closets: No
Kit: Yes
Water and soda machine: No
Towels and soap: Yes
Coffee machine: No
Rack: Yes
Kitchen: Yes, but household
Conference rooms: Living room
Dining Room: Living room
Terrace: No
Public Phone: No
Bicycle indoors: The entrance can be unlocked
Barn or stables: No
Information pilgrim: Yes
Phone Booth: Yes
ATM: No
Medical: No
Pharmacy: No
Repair shop: No
Grocery: Yes
Butcher: No
Bakery: No. They sell bread at the store
Bar-Restaurant: Yes, there are 6 bars
Internet: In one of the bars
Mobile Coverage: Yes
Outlets for battery charging: Yes

Reviews:
by Paul on 24/03/2012 at 1:03:46
I have very bad memory. The shelter staff very rude, we were left lying in the street, and had to sleep on the street, with -2 degrees below 0, in the end, some pilgrims we opened the windows of the laundry room and slept there until it was a little cold, and continued the march!
by Javier F on 10/02/2012 at 22:02:22
We were at the end of December. The hostel was a fridge, personally ..... had better not talk. All other facilities acceptable to problems that could have easily avoided.
by Antonio on 16/12/2011 at 22:11:54
I was in September. The first of Galicia and I realized the importance of zero gives the regional government at the slightest privacy and comfort in the showers, which have no doors and no where to leave under minimally spare clothes without getting wet. otherwise, the hostel is very good. In all honesty, is also the regional government gives importance to cleanliness and order. Gets along overcrowding.

Other places:
O Cebreiro

Hostal Residencia San Giraldo de Aurillac**
Town: O Cebreiro - (Lugo)
Category: H**
Situation: Next to the sanctuary of the Cebreiro
Capacity: 15 rooms
Run By: Luis and Pilar
Comment: Double room: 36 E Single room: 30 E
Contacto: Tel. 982- 367125

Pensión Pazos

Casa Rural Centro de Turismo Rural Casa Carolo
Category: Rural house
Situation: Next to the road. O Cebreiro
Capacity: 10 double rooms
Comment: Rooms from: 24 E, 30 E and 42 E.
Contacto: Tel. 982-367168
Email: MAITTEB@teleline.es

Casa Rural Centro de Turismo Rural Casa Valiña
Category: Rural house
Situation: In the centre of the town. O Cebreiro
Capacity: 15 rooms
Comment: Double room: 36 E
Contacto: 982- 367182

Casa Rural Venta Celta*
Category: H*
Capacity: 6 double rooms
Run By: José María and Irene
Other: Typical meals of the zone, from 6 E
Comment: Double room: 30 E + VAT
Contacto: 982 367 137

I haven't stayed in O Cebreiro on either of my Camino Franceses and frankly don't miss it. The main reason is that I liked to stay just below the hill the night before the climb so I could do the hard work at the start of the day, stop at O Cebreiro for lunch, then walk on another 10kms or so.

However on both lunch stops at OC I found the people in the bars/cafes quite unfriendly. A couple of weeks ago the guy in the bar seemed determined not to understand a word of my Spanish. Now I know my Spanish is not perfect, but it formed a large part of my degree so I think I'm capable of ordering a beer reasonably effectively. It was like I was speaking Japanese! I asked him sarcastically if he understood Castillian Spanish and he suddenly started to understand. Prat! I don't know whether it was a 'You're in Galicia now' attitude, or if they're just spoiled by all the pilgrims and bus tours passing through that they just take the p when they feel like it.

I prefer to stay in Alto do Poio. Others have said that they're rude there too, but both times they've been fine with me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just want to put in a plug for the Venta Celta, at least as it was when I was there most recently (2006?). It's a small private pension, with a really comfy-cozy and very small bar/restaurant in the ground floor. Wonderful fireplace. The first time I was there, the owner was a Basque woman who had walked the Camino and was following her dream. The second time I was there, she was trying to sell the place. So I don't know who owns it now.

Both times I ate an evening meal there and it was great -- no choice, just soup (caldo gallego), tortilla espanola, and salad. Cebreiro cheese and honey (oh, what a culinary delight) for dessert. I hope that tradition lives on, because it was a simple, delicious, filling meal.

Anyone stayed there recently? Buen camino, Laurie

I recently stayed in the Municipal Hostel during some extremely wet weather. There is no ventilation in the place at all, so all the boots and ponchos that were put in the appropriate place failed to dry overnight. I seem to remember there was only one tumble drier.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
robmcd said:
I recently stayed in the Municipal Hostel during some extremely wet weather. There is no ventilation in the place at all, so all the boots and ponchos that were put in the appropriate place failed to dry overnight. I seem to remember there was only one tumble drier.

I stayed at the Xunta albergue recently and I like it. My second time there. It was likewise bad weather. But the dormitories are warm so your gear gets dry during the night. The kitchens in Galicia are usually not well- eguipped. But the showers and toilets are spotless and hot water in the showers.
annie

anniethenurse said:
robmcd said:

I stayed at the Xunta albergue recently and I like it. My second time there. It was likewise bad weather. But the dormitories are warm so your gear gets dry during the night. The kitchens in Galicia are usually not well- eguipped. But the showers and toilets are spotless and hot water in the showers.
annie

I agree with Annie. Totally refurbished in 2008 the Xunta albergue is now comfortable with large showers and lots of hot water. The last time I stayed there in late November 2011 the weather outside was vile with sleet and cold fog, but wonderful heat made the albergue very cozy. Elsewhere in the village a very good menu de dia was offered at the bar/restaurant nearest the church. This is run by the family of the late Don Elias Valina Sampedro, the local priest who mid twentieth century renovated the idea of the Camino and painted the first yellow arrows which all pilgrims now follow. He is buried in the church cemetery.

Just want to put in a plug for the Venta Celta, at least as it was when I was there most recently (2006?). It's a small private pension, with a really comfy-cozy and very small bar/restaurant in the ground floor. Wonderful fireplace. The first time I was there, the owner was a Basque woman who had walked the Camino and was following her dream. The second time I was there, she was trying to sell the place. So I don't know who owns it now.

Both times I ate an evening meal there and it was great -- no choice, just soup (caldo gallego), tortilla espanola, and salad. Cebreiro cheese and honey (oh, what a culinary delight) for dessert. I hope that tradition lives on, because it was a simple, delicious, filling meal.

Hi, I tried to book into Hotel O'Cebreiro for October but they are booked out! I have tried to do a search on Venta Celta but can't see that they have their own website. Do you have a contact email/web reference for them? Thanks Sriyantra

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The phone number I have for Venta Celta is 667 553 006 (but that was 2 years ago)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife and I stayed at a wonderful place in O'Cebreiro called Casa Carolo in the heart of the village. Cebreiro 20, Ph: +34 982 36 71 68 It was about 40 Euros and has a great pilgrim meal.

Jack

I plan to stay in Casa Carolo in July 2014-- I'll post about it.

You'll enjoy it one of the highlights of our trip. Just a note you'll check in at the restaurant and would highly recommend eating there.
Buen Camino

€83,-
You'll enjoy it one of the highlights of our trip. Just a note you'll check in at the restaurant and would highly recommend eating there.
Buen Camino
Thanks for the info. I tried to book into Hotel O'Cebriero in October but they are full. I asked for recommendations and they mentioned Inn Carolo so I will check them out. Due to my husband's limitations with walking I need to book some overnight stays especially after a demanding day! Sriyantra

Thanks for the info. I tried to book into Hotel O'Cebriero in October but they are full. I asked for recommendations and they mentioned Inn Carolo so I will check them out. Due to my husband's limitations with walking I need to book some overnight stays especially after a demanding day! Sriyantra
Can't find an email address just a phone number. Do you know how to contact them? Thanks Sriyantra

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I stayed at Casa Navarro Christmas Eve, we got 20 cm of snow, absolutely a great place. The owner Jose, and the young lady that runs the store attached to Casa Navarro, took care of everything for us. I will always be thankful for a great Camino. I finished the Camino Frances in December.

I stayed at Casa Navarro Christmas Eve, we got 20 cm of snow, absolutely a great place. The owner Jose, and the young lady that runs the store attached to Casa Navarro, took care of everything for us. I will always be thankful for a great Camino. I finished the Camino Frances in December.
Thank you for your feedback. They do have a room available. I gather it is about a 5km walk from O'Cebreiro to Casa Navarro. Do you have to go back that 5ks in the morning or is there another way to get back on the Camino. Gracias for all your help everyone. Sriyantra

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After being there three times in torrential rain, wind and cold weather with snow I appreciate the clean, warm and nice Xunta albergue. And the best dining so far at the Casa Venta Celta - try the local cheese with honey!
Buen camino!

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I will be in O'Cebreiro, if all goes well, on 10 May, and I am having a very difficult time finding accomodation. I have emailed the Hotel O'Cebreiro and evidently they are full. I've also emailed the Venta Celta but haven't received a response there either. I don't speak Spanish so I'm not sure calling would be the best way to go about it....suggestions?

1.You might have someone who speaks Spanish call for you.
2.Have you tried this Casa Rurale via email? http://www.casaturismoruralnavarro.com/
3.The municipal/Xunta albergue which does not take reservations is recently redone and has many bunks. They usually open at 1pm.
4. You might consider stopping just before O Cebreiro at Laguna where this private albergue also has private rooms as well as good food. See http://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/leon/laguna-castilla/albergue-escuela

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Why not stay in Las Herrerias?
And start early morning to climb to O'Cebreiro, fresh and full of energy...
Take the lunch in O'Cebreiro and continue and the afternoon.
There is plenty of places in Las Herrerias and a few km after O'Cebreiro.

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

thank you for such a prompt reply. yes, i have emailed directly but no response. i'll look into Laguna and maybe it's better to stay just before o'cebreiro?
the food. well that will be interesting too as i'm vegetarian and i keep seeing all the posts about the wonderful 'meat' meals. needless to say i'm bringing my own protein substitute with me.

Why not stay in Las Herrerias?
And start early morning to climb to O'Cebreiro, fresh and full of energy...
Take the lunch in O'Cebreiro and continue and the afternoon.
There is plenty of places in Las Herrerias and a few km after O'Cebreiro.

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.
I am staying in Las Herrerias over night and then the plan was to have a leisurely walk up to O'Cebreiro. :)
I did find one place, Casa Lucas, which is 12K past O'Cebreiro from what I can tell. Is that a sane hike going from Las Herrerias to Fonfria?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In October 2014, my son (15 at this time) and I stayed in Albergue Las Herrerias
The day after we walked to Triacastella, it was the longest stage we have ever done (around 30 km).
But my son was a little tired there was no problem, as from Alto de Poio, it's simply a long slope down to Triacastella.
And there is several possibilities after O'Cebreiro: Liñares, Hospital da Condesa, Fonfría, Biduedo, ...
The best is to decide where you want to stop after reaching O'Cebreiro, depending of the weather, your health, your mood, ....
And middle of Mai should not be so busy!

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back