Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Hot coffee in Spain?

Kevin Jackson

Camino(s) past & future
(2020)
Silly question: I've been watching you-tube videos about Spain, in preparation for my first camino this spring. In one video about about cultural differences between Spain and the UK/USA, the guy said that Spaniards prefer to drink their coffee warm rather than hot. He said even if you ask for cafe caliente, you'll get something closer to warm, like 60c, as Spaniards aren't used to drinking their beverages at proper temperatures like 95c. :)

So my question is this truly the case? And if so, is there a polite way to ask for coffee slightly cooler than molten lava?

jefferyonthecamino

http://www.barrerabooks.com/ - Guidebooks
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (1994) & (2013 - 2019)
Portugués (2015 - 2019)
de Madrid (2019)
Argentino/Inglés (2020)
Silly question: I've been watching you-tube videos about Spain, in preparation for my first camino this spring. In one video about about cultural differences between Spain and the UK/USA, the guy said that Spaniards prefer to drink their coffee warm rather than hot. He said even if you ask for cafe caliente, you'll get something closer to warm, like 60c, as Spaniards aren't used to drinking their beverages at proper temperatures like 95c. :)

So my question is this truly the case? And if so, is there a polite way to ask for coffee slightly cooler than molten lava?
yes, this is truly the case. i am Spanish, and suffer not only lukewarm coffees but also coffee served in a glass (yuck!)

to get a hot coffee, insist politely that you would like a 'café MUY caliente, que QUEME', and then be vigilant, they will usually touch the milk pitcher, decide it's hot enough and use it for your coffee. I almost always have to ask them (politely), that I would like it heated again.

The above may not be easy unless you are fluent in Spanish. don't despair, coffee gets better (and hotter) in galicia.

Sandra Riordan

Hobart Australia
Camino(s) past & future
Francis 2015, Portuguese 2016, El Norte 2017 & VDLP 2019.

Coffee has always been served hot to me over 4 different Caminos

Sixwheeler

Camino(s) past & future
Arles Route (2013/2014 onwards)
It came as a surprise to discover that the temperature at which coffee is served across Europe tastes better just because it's a little cooler. They have absolutely no idea whatsoever about the making of tea however.

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock