• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hot feet for no reason

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
I know this might seem like a very small problem, but it is starting to annoy/worry me. The thing is that my feet (not just the soles) have started getting very hot - sorry, feeling very hot, but when I touch them they are normal temperature - especially in the evenings and for no reason I can think of. At first I just thought I had a sunburn on the top of my feet after a glorious day, but it kept happening despite the weather. They can be cool on a hot day, burning on a cool night. I have stopped using merino socks to walk in and bought the lowest heat rating coolmax socks I could find. I walk in beefed-up Salomon trainer type shoes, non-Goretex, and can feel the breeze through the meshy fabric when I walk. I sometimes rub or spray my feet with things like peppermint lotion, cooling spray, unguento del peregrino. None of this has helped. My feet just simply burn and melt in my Goretex boots, and I am going to Hadrian's Wall soon so I need to get to grips with it.

If anyone has any idea - medicinal, anecdotal or otherwise - of what could be causing this, I would be very grateful. I prefer it to having cold feet, I have to say, but still ... And yes, I already have an appointment to see my GP but not for a while yet. Every hint and tip is very much appreciated.

Thanks, Linda

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I guess you aren't in Spain rught now, Linda. Because, if by some possibility you are, then go to the nearest farmacia and buy a tube of Saltratos! Stops hot feet sensation immediately!:)

Hadrian's wall... While I have no clue what is hapening, have you considered treking sandals? Good support, good ventilation.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@annakappa : No sadly I am not there (yet) but I remember the Saltrates brand (same, but different spelling) creams and foot bath salts ... My Unguento Peregrino used to cool my feet right down even after 32 kms on the meseta on a hot day, but now it doesn't touch it even when I have stayed in the shade (known as UK) all day. Very strange. Cold water treatment works only for a very short while.

@Anemone del Camino : I do have good trekking sandals and my very airy Salomons, but apparently they advise you to take boots on the Hadrian's Wall Path. Then again some people advise that for the CF and I would never take boots there, so I might go with Salomons and sandals. Problem is this is not nice and warm anymore, it is hot. Will go for a walk in sandals and see how much cooler and how supported my feet feel. Hadrian is not just nice and flat though. Will think about that, thanks!

@annakappa : No sadly I am not there (yet) but I remember the Saltrates brand (same, but different spelling) creams and foot bath salts ... My Unguento Peregrino used to cool my feet right down even after 32 kms on the meseta on a hot day, but now it doesn't touch it even when I have stayed in the shade (known as UK) all day. Very strange. Cold water treatment works only for a very short while.

@Anemone del Camino : I do have good trekking sandals and my very airy Salomons, but apparently they advise you to take boots on the Hadrian's Wall Path. Then again some people advise that for the CF and I would never take boots there, so I might go with Salomons and sandals. Problem is this is not nice and warm anymore, it is hot. Will go for a walk in sandals and see how much cooler and how supported my feet feel. Hadrian is not just nice and flat though. Will think about that, thanks!
Some of the UK forum participants will tell me tha tthings are different there, BUT, how about a visit to the podologist or podiatrist? And if tur CF can be done in quality sandals, so can anything on the Ilse.

Not sure I would like to do bogs and marshes in sandals, but I see your point. For now I am off to put some more cooling stuff on them and try to sleep. Have checked and they still have normal temperature to the touch even if it feels like they are overheating! Strange.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not sure I would like to do bogs and marshes in sandals, but I see your point. For now I am off to put some more cooling stuff on them and try to sleep. Have checked and they still have normal temperature to the touch even if it feels like they are overheating! Strange.
Not to worry you, but having had infections and cloaths, be careful.

@WldWil : I no longer use wool or merino socks, I have changed to the lowest possible heat rating. Problem is that they can be overheating even with no socks on and my feet up in a cool breeze. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Have you tried NON-GoreTex boots? GoreTex does not breathe as well as boots that doen't have it.

Have you tried any of the "COOLMAX" socks?

Have you tried any of the newest breed of breathable GoreTex with active ventilation that have come out in the past 12 months (LaSportiva Synthesis, and similar)

@Melensdad : The boots I have are Goretex and I don't really have the funds to replace them at the moment - too many walks to go on :D My preferred walking shoes are non-Goretex and my new stash of socks are all coolmax and low heat rating, no more merino. When I walked the CF in '12 I had Goretex boots and midweight merino socks and was fine, but lately my feet just overheat. I even bought hybrid sandals (Teva Rosa) to get more air to them, but I find that I get too much grit, sand, stones etc into them and have to stop every so often to shake them out. Normal Tevas are better, but still collect debris.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't think this is necessarily related to what you wear.
There is a medical condition known as "Hot Foot Syndrome".
I have it from time to time - even in winter. It disrupts my sleep: I then move my feet out of the bedding: they then get cold and I often get cramp.
whariwharangi is right. [Why don't you call yourself John Smith?!? ;)]
I checked the site, and ooooooooo!!! It says one of many causes might be excessive alcohol. That doesn't apply to us, obviously!

Please let us all know if you find a solution... I don't know if "saltratos" is available everywhere [thanks Anna] but it's certainly worth a try.

nidarosa, Yes, unfortunately, new shoes and boots are expensive, especially the ones with the newest technologies.

I'll just have to ask my GP when I see her, test for diabetes etc (and no, the vino is medicino and surely not the cause of any evil). In the meantime I suppose just grin and bear it, stick my feet in any and all rivers and streams and buy shares in some form of peppermint foot lotion company ...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Really hot burning feet is a symptom of Plantar fasciitis. The fascia is the ligament that runs from the heel to the ball of the foot (it is a tough leathery ligament) and sometimes it get inflamed and burns and pains. The usual cause is that the muscle on the back of the calf has become very tight and this puts more pressure on the fascia. Treatment includes doing physio to stretch the calf muscle. It usually also requires arch supports and sometimes in extreme cased the use of night splints. Best to get to a good physiotherapist.

Most of my life I suffered from cold feet, but since I got plantar fasciitis I have to keep my feet outside the duvet at night. I also put a zip in the end of my sleeping bag so that I can stick my feet out.

Of course this may not be your problem. I just offer it as a possible cause.

@Lydia Gillen - you don't know how relieved I am to hear that! Strange, I know, but I already do have PF and if this is just another part of it, at least I know what it is or could very possibly be (will still check with GP). I am partially in control of the PF now, I do my stretches, wear good cushioned shoes, never walk in my bare feet on hard floor and stop for a good while if I feel it flaring up while walking. If you are right it makes sense that it happens late in the day or in the evening, after a day on my feet even without a flare-up. Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@nidarosa, I think it is a wise decision to get a medical evaluation.it looks like there are several medical conditions that could cause the problem, some very serious, but some very correctable.

Since I am not far from starting Hadrian's Wall Path, I managed to get to see my GP this morning. She is an avid walker herself and didn't seem to think this was anything to worry about, just try to air them every so often, keep the PF at bay with stretches etc, and be more aware when it happens to see if there is a connection with long walks/days on my feet or anything else. She said she knew walkers who had this but none of them had reported any serious illness in connection to it. Also mine aren't so bad they keep me awake (I read up on Hot Feet Syndrome), it just feels like my body is in the shade and my feet in the sun about to get a sunburn. I shall report back if I find a connection to anything.

I used to keep a tin of soft drink or fruit in the freezer and take it our and roll my feet on it at night time to help cool them a little.

I spent a good deal of a year mostly in bed and went to wedding in a wheelchair fourteen months after I had originally got Plantar fasciitis. But I have since walked the Camino so it is curable, but there may remain a tendency for it to growl around the door so it is good to do your physio at the very first signs of return of the PF.

I was amused to read your description of body in the shade and feet getting sunburn. On the coldest of nights I have my feet sticking out and they sometimes cause my husband to bump into them as he goes out to the bathroom.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.