• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hot flashes and sleeping bag liners?

littlegreen60

Time of past OR future Camino
Early June 2023
OK. A crazy question to women if a certain age.
I regularly have to take all covers off in the night to cool down. I have read many recommendations to use a sleeping bag liner for summer CF. But I don't want to be stuck I n something I can't easily get out of.
Any previous experience or solutions?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I sympathise. Maybe instead of a liner use a sheet? For exactly that reason I turned my down sleeping bag into a quilt. Just kept the foot box and I have an elastic that goes around the mattress the prevent it from slipping on the floor. (Haven’t field tested this yet though so fingers crossed 😂). If you use your own bag it is totally up to you whether you use a liner. There are also several brands that sell light weight travel quilts instead of a bag. I know some people use the Costco travel blanket. Depends where you are what you can get off course. Hope this helps

If you are staying in albergues not all will have a comfortable bottom sheet for you to lay on, hence the use of a liner or sleeping bag allows you to have something between you and the mattress. Sometimes there will be a scratchy disposible sheet between you and the mattress. Sometimes you are sleeping on a plastic covered gym mat and some albergues do have a real bottom sheet.. At hotels, it should be a non issue as you will likely have sheets.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have test-driven my silk liner at home in preparation for my Camino. I have a Sea to Summit liner (not the mummy style) with elastic “expansion joints” down both sides and I’m happy to report that I was able to toss and turn all night without feeling trapped during those -um- MOMENTS. Yes, I have to wriggle into it from the top, but surprisingly I was ok. The cloth is light enough that it doesn’t make me hot. I have a little quilt for inside the liner that I can put on or push aside, as required by my wild temperature swings!

One woman I met took a sleeping bag liner and cut it open to lie flat then sewed it to a light weight down quilt. Depending in the weather or her body temp, she could have down side up or turn it to liner side up. I thought it was a brilliant solution.
Having had bed bugs I prefer to be inside something.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Chrissy is right. My brother and I pack thin sleeping bags (less than 1 lb.) made of light-weight flannel with elastic straps sewn into the bottom to re-fold it tight for storage. A zipper runs down one side and across the bottom for easy opening / closing so perfect for your scenario. We plan to include it on our September pilgrimage this year, even though weʻre booking mostly hotels ... just in case!

One woman I met took a sleeping bag liner and cut it open to lie flat then sewed it to a light weight down quilt. Depending in the weather or her body temp, she could have down side up or turn it to liner side up.
I was ready to say do something similar with the sleep sack, a thicker fabric and a thinner fabric sewn together.

I was ready to say do something similar with the sleep sack, a thicker fabric and a thinner fabric sewn together.
A person could add a half zipper to that and it would be easier to climb in and out of...I can't be bothered. Some folks have said they don't like wiggling out and back in to a liner for a night time potty break.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lol my girlfriend and I just talking about this the other day. We thought anyone that made a line of silk liners that had the ability to unzip the feet only would make a fortune from women in our age group.

Lol my girlfriend and I just talking about this the other day. We thought anyone that made a line of silk liners that had the ability to unzip the feet only would make a fortune from women in our age group.
I personally would not want a zipper only in the foot of my sleeping bag or liner because I keep my waist bag in the corner by my feet; easy for a thief to unzip and grab in the night, although it would be a rare occurance.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I personally would not want a zipper only in the foot of my sleeping bag or liner because I keep my waist bag in the corner by my feet; easy for a thief to unzip and grab in the night, although it would be a rare occurance.
Yes, deterring theft could be another reason to have a sleeping or liner instead of just a cover you could toss off. Sometimes it is just difficult to have everything exactly the way we would want to have them at home and we have to have a make some compromises. I know at home I don't sleep with all my valuables in my bed with me and that takes some getting used to on the Camino.

Camino Chrissy is right. My brother and I pack thin sleeping bags (less than 1 lb.) made of light-weight flannel with elastic straps sewn into the bottom to re-fold it tight for storage. A zipper runs down one side and across the bottom for easy opening / closing so perfect for your scenario. We plan to include it on our September pilgrimage this year, even though weʻre booking mostly hotels ... just in case!
Where did you find those?

Dang, Camino Chrissy! You must be one heckuva deep sleeper or that that thief would have to be a true “artiste” at his trade.🤙🏽

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.