• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hot water and heating in albergues - up to date info

Kerrygold

Time of past OR future Camino
I want to walk - for the forst time - in October/November (2015)!
I'm on Camino right now, with a massive cold. Now, during the cold months, it's crucial for me, and other pilgrims as well, to be sure that we won't freeze in the night. Some albergues have heating, some have but don't use, some don't have the installation, some simply tell it's warm and instead it's just like in freezer. In this thread, please, share your experiences with how well or how badly are the albergues prepared for fall pilgrims. My personal experience, by city, alphabetically, I will probably add more. If you feel like adding more, be my guest. I don't mean to bash, but more and more peregrinos I meet are having cold and this is something that can disqualify one from Camino:

COLD

- Belorado, Cuatro Cantones:
Cold/lukewarm water in the shower and wood powered central heating = cold in the night, no way to take a shower, but they have nice thick blankets

- Burgos, Municipal
Chilly inside, cold/lukewarm showers, no hot water in taps, no blankets.

- Hornillos, Meeting Point
Hospitalero says it's warm inside, but even he wears down jacket and needs to be reminded thrice about turning the heating on. Other pilgrims just spent their evening wrapped with sleeping bags literally laying on the radiators once the heating got turned on. Lukewarm showers.

- Villafranca del Bierzo, Ave Fenix Jato
Surely a lovely place in the summer, but can be chilly in the winter, plus one has to go out of the building to take a shower. Showers are hot enough to warm up for the night.

- Samos, Monasterio
There are hot showers, but albergue occupies two big halls in the monastery building, and the only thing that separates it from the world is thin wooden door. Cold, but there are thick blankets. Woman next to me slept in a woolen hat.

San Martin del Camino, Albergue Municipal Ana. "Freezing cold. There didn't seem to be any heat in the building at all, but the main problem was that they left the doors open so that the freezing wind came through. They were kind of cold in their interactions too. Just not the friendliest. The beds were ok, got a single bed in a room to myself for 13 €, but I still wish I had chosen a different Albergue". (By Jodean)

WARM

- Ages, Pajar
You can walk inside wearing a tshirt. Hot showers, awesome.

- Calzadilla, the private one
Cold in the beginning, but once the heating gets turned on, it gets nice and warm. Hot showers.

- Leon, Monastery Benedictines
Big rooms in the cellar, great heating, but the showers start with cold water and then the temperature is fluctuating between burning hot and freezing cold.

- Pamplona, Casa Paderborn
Everything is awesome - room and showers temperature.

- Ruitan, Pequena Potala.
Small space, therefore easier to heat. Central heating, thick duvets, HOT showers. (No kitchen tho, so hot tea for the sick ones for 1€)

- Barbadelo, Xunta de Galicia.
Hot showers and floor heating with regulation inside of the room. Fantastic. Place to stay for the sick ones if they want to dry their stuff and get better.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's a pilgrimage. You have a bed in a dry room, there's running water in the bathroom. There's a shower. If you want hot hot hot, you might have to pay more for it at a pension or hotel. But the fact is, there's a whole lot of infrastructure there for you that just did not exist even a couple of years ago.
You choose to walk in cold-weather months, feeling chilly is part of the game.
Be glad for what you have, pilgrim.

Long silk underwear is a wonderful lightweight layer too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Small thin women will suffer more in the cold than men, or well-rounded women. Sad fact of life. I don't know that any place would be very warm, in my experience the Germans insisted on open windows even as it snowed heavily outside. Every so often I'd just get a hotel room to thaw out.

It's a pilgrimage. You have a bed in a dry room, there's running water in the bathroom. There's a shower. If you want hot hot hot, you might have to pay more for it at a pension or hotel. But the fact is, there's a whole lot of infrastructure there for you that just did not exist even a couple of years ago.
You choose to walk in cold-weather months, feeling chilly is part of the game.
Be glad for what you have, pilgrim.
I just know you are joking----testing her sense of humour!??? It's her first time walking according to the post and some people feel the cold more than others. I don't because my blubber keeps me warm!!! Kerry gold might not even be on a pilgrimage.did she say ahe was ? Winter might be the only time she can walk as not everyone has the luxury of choosing walking dates. She might not have the finances to go private . She has a cold and if it got worse,might even become a chest infection. We walk the caminos a lot but we are not pilgrims---we just like the walk. And many people who walk the way are not pilgrims. But of course I know you are only joking .best wishes Annette

I'm on Camino right now, with a massive cold. Now, during the cold months, it's crucial for me, and other pilgrims as well, to be sure that we won't freeze in the night. Some albergues have heating, some have but don't use, some don't have the installation, some simply tell it's warm and instead it's just like in freezer. In this thread, please, share your experiences with how well or how badly are the albergues prepared for fall pilgrims. My personal experience, by city, alphabetically, I will probably add more. If you feel like adding more, be my guest. I don't mean to bash, but more and more peregrinos I meet are having cold and this is something that can disqualify one from Camino:

COLD

Cold/lukewarm water in the shower and wood powered central heating = cold in the night, no way to take a shower, but they have nice thick blankets

- Burgos, Municipal

Hospitalero says it's warm inside, but even he wears down jacket and needs to be reminded thrice about turning the heating on. Lukewarm showers.

WARM

- Ages, Pajar

Cold in the beginning, but once the heating gets turned on, it gets nice and warm. Hot showers.

Not sure where you are kerrygold,oh I do love that butter!!! When we got caught in cold and snow 2 years ago in May we got some light tops but with fleecy lining. Warm as toast they were and just a few euros. Find a Chinese bazar in any town and they stock them . Really kept us warm and could wear them in bed too. No harm in going around in a hat inside either as keeps the heat in. No one takes any notice. My daughter has always felt the cold --- blue hands and feet so know how you feel. Hope you feel better soon and do the walk YOU want to do,and take a few paracetamol now and then.

COLD

- Burgos, Municipal

Hospitalero says it's warm inside, but even he wears down jacket and needs to be reminded thrice about turning the heating on. Lukewarm showers.

WARM

- Ages, Pajar

I am sure that people planning to walk at this time will be thankful for your post as so many posts seen on the forum ask about albergues that might not be open. You are doing something positive for other members.

I do not understand why some people are so upset about Rebekah's post. If you want to be sure to avoid the cold: walk in summertime. This seems a reasonable advice to me. Kerry, I hope your cold gets better soon.

By the way, I like a hot shower. But at the same time, the camino learned me to be happy with what I have, even if this is a cold shower. This will make having a warm shower the next day (or the day after) just feel even better.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I understand colds are a virus. They are not caused by being cold.

A dormitory with close contact with other humans is the perfect scenario for transmitting the cold virus. The temperature is irrelevant, except that having the windows closed to make the place warm will make the situation worse.

Please, if you do catch a cold, don't share it! Take yourself to a hotel or pension for a few days.

PS, I am sorry to hear you are ill @Kerrygold and hope you recover quickly, I just don't think you can blame the heating (or lack thereof) but instead your fellow man. Or woman or child!

I understand colds are a virus. They are not caused by being cold.

A dormitory with close contact with other humans is the perfect scenario for transmitting the cold virus. The temperature is irrelevant, except that having the windows closed to make the place warm will make the situation worse.

Please, if you do catch a cold, don't share it! Take yourself to a hotel or pension for a few days.

PS, I am sorry to hear you are ill @Kerrygold and hope you recover quickly, I just don't think you can blame the heating (or lack thereof) but instead your fellow man. Or woman or child!
Yes I agree that a cold is caused by a virus and yes I agree that close proximity in an albergue will cause it to spread. And whilst I do not wish to argue about microbes and viruses,new research by Yale university earlier this year in Jan has shown the correlation between colder temps.and the ""cold" virus to be true and virus is actually thrive in cooler temps.The cooler tempetures then further impair our immune system to fight off that cold.when walking the Camino in 30degree temps.inever saw anyone with a cold or flu but I have seen sickness in pilgrims in the colder months. Kerrygold was only asking for advice and giving info. to others that might soon be doing the way and I think the harsh responses were not warranted. That's all. No further post from me on this subject,except to say "my granny was right when she told me to wrap up warm or I would catch a cold" so no longer an old wives tale. Best best wishes to all.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know your on a tight budget Kerrygold...eat as well as you can & wear another layer when sleeping
I hope your feeling better soon.
I remember in albergue El Burgo Ranero onceon one camino there was ice inside the albergue on the windows..(I love the cold myself)...

one albergue (the municipal in Ages) puts the price up for the use of heating the albergue in winter..
look after yourself.

I'm on Camino right now, with a massive cold. Now, during the cold months, it's crucial for me, and other pilgrims as well, to be sure that we won't freeze in the night. Some albergues have heating, some have but don't use, some don't have the installation, some simply tell it's warm and instead it's just like in freezer. .

Poor you Kerrygold, I hope you managed to get a good night's sleep. If you want to be sure of a warm bed and hot water, you may need to splash out on a night in a hotel or pension. Pilgrim albergues are basic low-cost accommodation, promising only a bed and shelter - so as others have suggested, you may need to wear a few more layers when staying in albergues. A hat and socks will also make a huge difference to your heat retention.

Good luck - being sick is rotten, especially when you're so cold. I wonder if any of the bars make hot whiskeys?!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In San Martin del Camino, the "Albergue Municipal" Ana was freezing cold. There didn't seem to be any heat in the building at all, but the main problem was that they left the doors open so that the freezing wind came through. They were kind of cold in their interactions too. Just not the friendliest. The beds were ok, got a single bed in a room to myself for 13 €, but I still wish I had chosen a different Albergue.

When I got a cold, I spent 2 nights in private pensions so I could recover and also not keep my fellow pilgrims awake with my constant coughing all night. Well worth the money, as they aren't that expensive.

I'm sorry to hear about your cold, @Kerrygold . It probably makes you feel more sensitive to chills. I am on the Camino right now too, and I have not been cold at night at all. (I prefer warm to cold.) My sleeping bag is rated to 7C and has been more than adequate. My thermals have been too hot sometimes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It seems to me that rather than reflecting on this:
how well or how badly are the albergues prepared for fall pilgrims
it would be useful to remember this:

'There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing.' ― A. Wainwright, A Coast to Coast Walk: A Pictorial Guide

It is, after all, our responsibility to prepare ourselves for the conditions that we will face. Suggesting that the albergues are badly prepared is just so much nonsense - the albergues are what they are. If you are not equipped to stay in the gym that is the overflow at Zubiri, or in the lower area of the church loft at Granon, or any of the other un-heated places that will be close to freezing at this time of year, it is really up to you to avoid them.

Certainly it might be valuable to have a list of those simpler albergues for those who cannot decode the language of the guidebooks. Phrases like 'basic hostel', 'cool interior' and 'limited facilities', 'small, simple refuge' or 'now has flowing cold water' are indicators. Don't expect places described like that to provide the same level of amenity as a place described as an 'exceptionally good private refuge'.

But please, if we are going to do that, lets start on the right foot, and not make this an opportunity for pejorative ranting.

As a relative novice i admit my knowledge is limited however i assume the facilities on offer are related to the income generated.
i cannot see huge profits being realised at the prices charged. Thanks to all volunteers.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for the good wishes, I'm on strong pills now, so hopefully I will get better. To answer some of you:

First of all, where I come from even the law says that if the temperature falls below 14 degrees indoors, employees can refuse to work. I've slept in a tent in the middle of a snowy winter, I'm not a delicate flower, I'm not expecting jacuzzi and silk linen, and honestly, I don't think that I'm asking for too much. Every time I take an albergue I ask if there is working heating and hot water. I always get the positive answer, but in few cases the hospitaleros were a bit too optimistic, to put it mildly. I would prefer to get an honest answer, so that I can decide wether I need to look for something else or not.

Last, but not least: let's not turn it into 'let them eat cookies' kind of thing. Of course that hotel is a solution, so are the warm albergues that are actually out there.

The OP (Kerrygold) started this thread asking that others share their experience with winter heating condition in various albergues. She listed her experiences.
This can be valuable to those walking in the colder months.

Please...no further personal remarks.
Some posts have been deleted.

Participate in reporting your experience or refrain from posting.

Thanks for understanding.

I agree with Kanga that the disagreement here all has to do with expectations. And for me the question is whether it's reasonable for anyone, pilgrim or hiker or vacationer, to expect "shirt sleeve heat levels" and scalding showers when the cost is 12 euros (or less). In most of Spain, and certainly in the rest of the industrialized world, you can't find a bed for 12 €, much less a bed indoors and with indoor plumbing. The cost of heat in Spain is quite steep, so whether or not you are on a pilgrimage or on a hiking trip, think about the price/quality ratio and I think most people will agree that this is still a real bargain.

The other more difficult question is the eternal pilgrim vs. tourist and demanding vs. appreciating, but I think I'll keep away from that for now. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry you're having a cold, Kerrygold, and hope you get better soon!

Apart from that, I think this thread could be helpful providing information. I was looking at it because I'm dreaming about doing a winter camino... :)

The problem might be the underlying „demanding“ of things that puts some people off... Personally, I agree with those who say „prepare for a freezing cold albergue, be happy if it is warm against expectation“, even though it might not be the most popular or diplomatic opinion. But I do also understand how important it is to find a well heated albergue when you're ill. A freezing cold one doesn't make things better, even if you've got appropriate clothing ect. So maybe let's turn this into a list of albergues that do heat well?

I haven't been walking in autumn but spring, so might be different. But I remember some albergues being especially nicely heated.

- One of them was the La Faba albergue on the way to O'Cebreiro. I was so grateful for the warmth that day!
- In Rabanal (Albergue Gaucelmo I think) it was cold when I arrived, but they started a fire in the fireplace and offered hot tea, which was also great. Loved the fireplace.
- almost forgot the Valcarlos albergue! One of the best!

- It was especially cold in Tosantos (I didn't mind, had good clothes, and overall loved the place, but it WAS cold) and Villafranca del Bierzo, Albergue Ave Fénix (very friendly people, though - prepared me a vegetarian meal, sadly I was so sick I couldn't eat it, still feel bad for that).

[ As a side note - I remember your packlist thread, kerrygold. If I remember correctly you said you don't really get cold and wanted to walk in yoga pants and I thought that might be a bit cold in November... hope you got yourself something warmer. If not, make sure you get some warmer clothing now. If there are no shops, many albergues keep clothes that other pilgrims left behind, maybe ask the hospitaleros?]

Wish you all the best for the rest of your journey! You can do it! Buen camino :)

Last edited:
We are doing our Camino in March and April and from what I have read and a study of the annual weather patterns I know we can expect everything from warm days to blizzard conditions, and lots of rain. This not unlike the here in the northwestern USA. If we waited for perfect weather we would spend most or time in doors. We were hiking in the Swiss Alps and stayed a hostel where we paid a coin for the shower pumped directly from the local stream (glacier water) we were blue from the cold but clean.
Kerrygold I hope you are feeling better.
Ultreya
Buen Camino

Of course for 10-12-15 euros you can find places to sleep that have heating. Check out airbnb. For as little as 10 euro you can get a shared room in a new appartment in the heart of Madrid of all places, than why should a private albergue on the camino, run for profit as any other business, not offer something as basic as heating or a warm shower?

Why are some albergues able to deliver a world of shared luxury for 12-15 euros, while others offer a bed and a cold shower?
I think it is more than often what they want to deliver and not what they can deliver for the money they ask.
Running a commercial albergue and calling yourself a hospitalero is still a hospitality business where you have to be hospitable. If you dont want to offer any of that, than why did you choose this business?

I was not joking. I was serious. People using pilgrim albergues need to realize these places are bare-bones shelters. Hot water is an innovation in many of them.
Of course warm water and rooms are wonderful in cold weather. They are darn hard to find for 10 or 12 Euros. Even if you get lucky and find one or two who offer those things, it is unrealistic to feel every other place has them too, and is withholding them from you for some reason.
Heat is not an entitlement. Your 10 Euros does not guarantee you 19 degrees. No matter why you're walking the Way, if you want to pay so little, you cannot expect much for that price. It's a pilgrim hostel, whether or not you are a pilgrim. It is what it is.
That said: If you want COLD, go to the convent in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. You could see your breath in there.
I can remember when the showers I took in the big albergue at San Juan de Ortega were cold. Hot showers were only available in the MEN's bathroom!
WARM is at Acacio y Orietta in Viloria de Rioja -- unless you get a bed near the outside wall.
The new albergue La Morena in Ledigos is very warm indeed.
I can think of albergues where the toilets were outdoors, or across a patio, but most of these have been updated for more comfort, not to mention better sanitation.

I am sorry KerryGold was ill. I do hope she is feeling better now.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
[...] I would prefer to get an honest answer, so that I can decide wether I need to look for something else or not.[...]Of course that hotel is a solution, so are the warm albergues that are actually out there.
And, yes, Kerrygold, this is a fair request. Perhaps your listing of albergues with or without temperature controls is useful. It should be remembered though that there are albergues which, opened at the beginning or closing at the end of their "season", may not have the facilities and face adverse climate conditions, whether cold or hot. This complicates a listing of bona fide albergues.:eek:
Should one avoid albergues without central heating at the end of May ? A few years ago there was a freezing spell at the end of May in Portomarin (and all along the path), but many pilgrims were lucky to stay at Ultreya (which deserves its name!), shivering on top of their central heating units in the communal room.:D
But an honest answer to an honest question should reasonably be expected.;)

Of course for 10-12-15 euros you can find places to sleep that have heating. Check out airbnb. For as little as 10 euro you can get a shared room in a new appartment in the heart of Madrid of all places, than why should a private albergue on the camino, run for profit as any other business, not offer something as basic as heating or a warm shower?

Why are some albergues able to deliver a world of shared luxury for 12-15 euros, while others offer a bed and a cold shower?
I think it is more than often what they want to deliver and not what they can deliver for the money they ask.
Running a commercial albergue and calling yourself a hospitalero is still a hospitality business where you have to be hospitable. If you dont want to offer any of that, than why did you choose this business?
I think there are two pretty obvious answers to this. The first is the straightforward commercial one, ie that the number of pilgrims has to cover the fixed costs of running the establishment at a particular service level. If it doesn't, expect the service level to be cut, which in the extreme means there will be no service, but short of that will be making economies in areas like heating, lighting, etc, etc.

The second is that it appears to me that many private albergues are not run purely on a profit motive, and the owner's have different motivations to remain open to provide a service to pilgrims. Analysing everything on the Camino as if it were driven by classic rationalist economic/accounting principles may not be a particularly helpful way of understanding why things are the way they are.

Best wishes to the OP on clearing up the cold. I had one coming on and taking a rest day in a hotel in Astorga with bath got my body back on track.

I had a freezing cold night in Mansilla de las Mulas in which I couldn't sleep and was literally shivering on the top bunk. That being said, the heaters were on all night at the Benedictines in Leon and I was warm and cozy. I couldn't sleep the first night, others couldn't sleep the next.

On the list of albergues from SJPP, their is a column for chauffrauge, which means heating. By this point, I wouldn't stay at a place without heat, but most of those places closed Nov 1 also.

I also started targeting places with fireplaces.

I never experienced a lack of hot water.

Buen Camino

Oh my I feel better now with what Kerrygold said:
. . . I'm on strong pills now, so hopefully I will get better . . .
The power of prayer. Wishing you luck finding a good place to stay and please let us know as soon as you feel better. Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

True, @dougfitz , but just looking at the first albergue the OP mentions, if ever there was one albergue that is as commercial as can be, its surely is cuatro cantones. Nice people, yes....nice diner, absolutely, but as commercial as can be. So why....why not make sure you offer something basic like heating or a good warm shower. If you, as a business, are after every euro you can get out of a pilgrim, like the full service albergue that cuatro cantones is (bed, dinner, breakfast, drinks, vending), than why.....why.....not provide this. ..And this albergue is just one of many.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have just returned from my "Camino" (cycling from Pamplona to Santiago) during most of September so I did not experience the really cold weather that is the norm in March or Oct/Nov. I agree with Rebekah if you are walking between St Jean and Burgos and/or Astorga to Santiago in early Spring or anytime after 1 Oct you should expect it to be cold. As was pointed out - there are a number of fixed costs involved in operating ANY accommodation establishment which is why a number of the smaller private and/or charity operated Albergues do not open between 1 Nov and 31 March.
I am not aware of Kerry's expectations or planning/preparation but I would have thought that if you intend to walk outside of the April/Sept period then you MUST come prepared. This means - a 2/3 season sleeping bag; mid-level underware (for both night time and cold days) and of course effective wet weather gear (even gloves). (BTW I had to buy additional wet weather gear in Leon because I had sent mine on to SDC in an effort to save weight - so you can get caught out!!)
The above notwithstanding back in May 2013 it was one of the coldest "May's" in 40 years - there was snow across virtually all of northern Spain (even in Madrid). Many pilgrims in the mountains west of Astorga found out that they were totally under-prepared.
Kerry - I hope you are able to complete your Camino. Maybe walking at this time of the year will provide a different type of "camino experience". Buen Camino:)

Last edited:
I've moved some of the posts to the new thread. Let's just keep this one for factual information about which open albergues currently have hot water.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
….well if unattached and lucky one could always find a suitable human snuggle partner. Or alternatively do as I've done (in extremis when 'enjoying' barn type accommodation) and lure one of the house/yard dogs to sleep beside your sleeping bag-even the least friendly/ barking/shy dog can eventually be persuaded as you don't seem so threatening to them when lying down. Canine heaters are surprisingly effective but they do come with doggy breath (always) and fleas (sometimes).

Yes I agree that a cold is caused by a virus and yes I agree that close proximity in an albergue will cause it to spread. And whilst I do not wish to argue about microbes and viruses,new research by Yale university earlier this year in Jan has shown the correlation between colder temps.and the ""cold" virus to be true and virus is actually thrive in cooler temps.The cooler tempetures then further impair our immune system to fight off that cold.when walking the Camino in 30degree temps.inever saw anyone with a cold or flu but I have seen sickness in pilgrims in the colder months. Kerrygold was only asking for advice and giving info. to others that might soon be doing the way and I think the harsh responses were not warranted. That's all. No further post from me on this subject,except to say "my granny was right when she told me to wrap up warm or I would catch a cold" so no longer an old wives tale. Best best wishes to all.
Yes thank you for the nice response Annette. We will be walking the Camino next year on the 11th May. Hope it will not be to cold. I just operate better in warmer weather. Hope you doing well Kerrygold.

I head south when I get cold! The world is full of choices.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I feel your pain, in 2012 in the Camino Frances I froze my butt on some of the albergues the problem is that a lot of the albergues runs on "donativo" and it does not come close to cover all the expenses much less paying for heat.

Zzotte

I think that the increase in winter walking is not being met by an increase in heated albergues, and is probably not likely to be met in the near future. Many of these places would have closed at the end of October until late March/early April in years gone by. Now they stay open so that pilgrims do at least have shelter. Spanish houses are still basically built to keep heat out, which is great in the summer, not so good in the cold.
We have stayed in cold hotels/pensions and warm albergues. Even where there is heating a room can stay cold if at the end of the 'heat run'; some water tanks only hold enough hot water for approx 3 showers before needing an hour to reheat. This means that even a place with heating and hot water may not cope with the higher numbers now walking in winter.
Having a list of heated/unheated accomodation might help, but does not mean that it will all be working really well, so personal preparation will be essential too. My solution was to carry longjohns and a long sleeve thermal top for nightwear (2 sets) plus a sleeping bag. In one albergue I had my thermals, sleeping bag and a blanket plus a spare blanket rolled between me and the outside wall.....just warm enough. In a pension I rolled myself in my poncho as well to keep warm, the next night we found a pension that was so lovely and warm we stayed 2 nights (All in a very cold May)
Trusting that your cold is soon cured @Kerrygold and that you can find warmer accomodation along the Way

COLD

- Burgos, Municipal

WARM

- Ages, Pajar

Kerry:

Thank you for initiating this post. I have been considering a late Fall walk and find this information valuable. I hope you will continue to post the conditions you are finding during your walk.

Hope you are feeling better. While working with Rebekah's clean up crew, I develop a bad cold. We went to a Farmacia and got a product called "pharmagrip Duo". It worked well for me.

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

COLD

- Burgos, Municipal

WARM

- Ages, Pajar

Some of the albergues are running on such tight budgets that I m afraid the heating is the last thing to be put on -I always travel with a hot water bottle which makes a bed warm and cosy -
It has been unseasonably warm and many hostels are happy that perhaps just a fire will be enough heat
As suggested silk undies or thermals really help -
If the cost of heat was less more albergues would ,I m sure,put it on ,but for many the expense s are so high now they really have to think twice
Hope your cold gets better soon and Buen camino

Hi Kerrygold
I'm glad you're better, and I just want to clear up that I didn't mean "just eat cookies" when I said the only warmth I found was in a pension--that was truly the only times I was warm until June.
I'd planed for cold wet rain and snow, and was fine outdoors---it was inside that was torture bc many who had more meat on their bones liked it cold--and they were in the majority.

I only wanted my post to point out/remind those who don't feel the cold so much that it's more than a trivial complaint for someone small/thin. Four Rangers died of hypothermia during field training in the panhandle of Florida when I was stationed there. Cold wet weather, well above freezing, can kill. I almost died of it during survival training (though that WAS in a lot of snow)...in the muttered words of the instructor frantically trying to build a fire "it's always the skinny ones"

Wishing you warm and toasty nights...

Last edited:
In my humble opinion, most colds are caused by wet, damp shoes, boots, make sure boots are waterproof. Wear a hat buen camino

€46,-
In my humble opinion, most colds are caused by wet, damp shoes, boots, make sure boots are waterproof. Wear a hat buen camino
Too true! And use an umbrella. When we got caught in rain and snow in May a few years ago in Burgos, we bought 2 big umbrellas. Worked beautifully and kept us " mostly" dry. Best wishes.

Annette is right on! Recent research linked "colds" to cold. Bundle up and stay warm. I just returned from walking the CF. I started out at freezing or near freezing temps in the morning and by noon was walking in the 60's to low 60's. The story was layer up, then layer off. The hat and gloves were the first to go, then the fleece layer, etc. Wear what you need to at night to stay warm!

Annette is right on! Recent research linked "colds" to cold. Bundle up and stay warm. I just returned from walking the CF. I started out at freezing or near freezing temps in the morning and by noon was walking in the 60's to low 60's. The story was layer up, then layer off. The hat and gloves were the first to go, then the fleece layer, etc. Wear what you need to at night to stay warm!
Hi, Thomas, Welcome to the forum!

I would love to see some of that research, because for years my doctor told me that it the common cold was more frequent in winter time, not because it's colder, but because people are indoors more and in closer proximity than in summer time. I also remember that she pointed me to some research involving the frequency of colds of northwoodsmen (I think it was loggers or some other outdoor profession, but my memory is foggy), which found that they had virtually no colds though they were outside in the cold all the time. So maybe this is another instance (like whether to put babies on the tummy or the back for sleeping) of throwing out the old wisdom and bringing in the new.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Thomas, Welcome to the forum!

I would love to see some of that research, because for years my doctor told me that it the common cold was more frequent in winter time, not because it's colder, but because people are indoors more and in closer proximity than in summer time. I also remember that she pointed me to some research involving the frequency of colds of northwoodsmen (I think it was loggers or some other outdoor profession, but my memory is foggy), which found that they had virtually no colds though they were outside in the cold all the time. So maybe this is another instance (like whether to put babies on the tummy or the back for sleeping) of throwing out the old wisdom and bringing in the new.
Hi peregrinations 2000, in a way I think everyone is a little bit right! When my children were small we had no central heating so they went from the cold inside to the cold outside and were just wrapped up warm. I used to pack them off into the garden in the coldest of weather(not rain) and they never seemed to be ill. Now my grandchildren have heating at home and always seem to have runny noses,going from the warmth to the cold.Research is a funny thing at times. One minute wine is bad and next thing is good! One minute coffee is bad for you and the next thing it's bad for you! I don't like heating indoors myself and often sit in the garden in freezing cold with a few blankets and hot water bottles and I never get a cold or flu so who knows( nose) get it!!! this new research was carried out at Yale uni this year I think. I did not mean to be contentious in any way with my post. I just felt a bit sorry for kerrygold as she was sick and just asking for advice. She was also we must remember giving information to other people about the albergues and surely that is what this forum is about. also she never said that she was a pilgrim. I'm afraid my hackles just sometimes rise if there is an attitude of " it's my way or no way". We don't walk the way as pilgrims as such but we just love this Camino.Everyone is so different with different needs and aspirations on the way and this forum is where they can get advice and support. If advice is asked for and a " not so nice" response is given then some folk may just be reluctant to ask for help. Just my opinion. Now with regards to the research, my granny also used to say" everything in moderation"! She also used to say " the old dog for the road"!! Best wishes and wrap up warm. Annette

I agree with Kanga that the disagreement here all has to do with expectations. And for me the question is whether it's reasonable for anyone, pilgrim or hiker or vacationer, to expect "shirt sleeve heat levels" and scalding showers when the cost is 12 euros (or less). In most of Spain, and certainly in the rest of the industrialized world, you can't find a bed for 12 €, much less a bed indoors and with indoor plumbing. The cost of heat in Spain is quite steep, so whether or not you are on a pilgrimage or on a hiking trip, think about the price/quality ratio and I think most people will agree that this is still a real bargain.

The other more difficult question is the eternal pilgrim vs. tourist and demanding vs. appreciating, but I think I'll keep away from that for now. :)
Agree, with all your comments, I am so looking forward to the De Levante with its low numbers just a pace to suit me and my thoughts, by the the time I get to Santiago I will be looking to talk to everyone...

Hi peregrinations 2000, in a way I think everyone is a little bit right! When my children were small we had no central heating so they went from the cold inside to the cold outside and were just wrapped up warm. I used to pack them off into the garden in the coldest of weather(not rain) and they never seemed to be ill. Now my grandchildren have heating at home and always seem to have runny noses,going from the warmth to the cold.Research is a funny thing at times. One minute wine is bad and next thing is good! One minute coffee is bad for you and the next thing it's bad for you! I don't like heating indoors myself and often sit in the garden in freezing cold with a few blankets and hot water bottles and I never get a cold or flu so who knows( nose) get it!!! this new research was carried out at Yale uni this year I think. I did not mean to be contentious in any way with my post. I just felt a bit sorry for kerrygold as she was sick and just asking for advice. She was also we must remember giving information to other people about the albergues and surely that is what this forum is about. also she never said that she was a pilgrim. I'm afraid my hackles just sometimes rise if there is an attitude of " it's my way or no way". We don't walk the way as pilgrims as such but we just love this Camino.Everyone is so different with different needs and aspirations on the way and this forum is where they can get advice and support. If advice is asked for and a " not so nice" response is given then some folk may just be reluctant to ask for help. Just my opinion. Now with regards to the research, my granny also used to say" everything in moderation"! She also used to say " the old dog for the road"!! Best wishes and wrap up warm. Annette
Hi, Annette, Thanks for the reference, I've found a short description of the study. Very interesting -- the finding is that the cold virus is happier in colder temperatures, meaning that colds spread more quickly. My un-scientific conclusion is that you can't get a cold without a virus, no matter what the temperature, but if you're in cooler temperatures with human contact, the virus will spread more quickly than it does in warmer temps. So either spend your winters in the north woods or in an overheated isolation chamber. http://news.yale.edu/2015/01/05/cold-virus-replicates-better-cooler-temperatures

I think we have put all the other stuff behind us for now. No way to prevent the "not so nice" responses, but like a cold virus, we should hope they don't spread by our adding heat to the discussion.

I took the abovementioned pharmagrip and it worked like a magic spell. Thank you for all your support. I'm totally fine now.

For the list of top albergues I may add Santiago Apostol in El Acebo (theoretically no heating, but it was warm and the showers are awesome) and Siervas de Maria in Astorga (so warm! "Button"showers, but acceptable temperature).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
KG is back! And feeling better! Thanks for the update y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

I took the abovementioned pharmagrip and it worked like a magic spell. Thank you for all your support. I'm totally fine now.

For the list of top albergues I may add Santiago Apostol in El Acebo (theoretically no heating, but it was warm and the showers are awesome) and Siervas de Maria in Astorga (so warm! "Button"showers, but acceptable temperature).

Kerrygold:

Glad you are doing well. That stuff does really work.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So what are the ingredients in this magic medicine? Anything similar in the US?
It's Tylenol, ctm (antihistamine), and phenylnephrine (decongestant)...essentially most any OTC cold med. Add some wine (and something for cough) and you've created NyQuil. Symptomatic relief.

So, I'm adding albergue Ave Fenix from Villafranca de Bierzo to the "cold" list. Now, that I'm feeling okay, it didn't really bother me much, bit I'll keep this list for the ones who are doing Camino in the winter and the ones who are not feeling well.

Ave Fenix has heating, but it's unsufficient, in the night it's cold (there are blankets however). In order to take a shower you have to go outside. Ladies' showers are hot enough to warm you up before going to bed and in the comedor there is a wood burning stove, so if you sit close you can warm up. In general it's cold here though.

So what are the ingredients in this magic medicine? Anything similar in the US?

Laurie:

Not sure. This is what is on the package. Paracetamol 650 mg, Fenilefrina 8.2 mg are the main ingredients. It is granular like sugar and just dissolves in your mouth. It worked well for me.

Joe

€46,-

COLD

- Burgos, Municipal

Hospitalero says it's warm inside, but even he wears down jacket and needs to be reminded thrice about turning the heating on. Other pilgrims just spent their evening wrapped with sleeping bags literally laying on the radiators once the heating got turned on. Lukewarm showers.

- Villafranca del Bierzo, Ave Fenix Jato
Surely a lovely place in the summer, but can be chilly in the winter, plus one has to go out of the building to take a shower. Showers are hot enough to warm up for the night.

- Samos, Monasterio
There are hot showers, but albergue occupies two big halls in the monastery building, and the only thing that separates it from the world is thin wooden door. Cold, but there are thick blankets. Woman next to me slept in a woolen hat.

San Martin del Camino, Albergue Municipal Ana. "Freezing cold. There didn't seem to be any heat in the building at all, but the main problem was that they left the doors open so that the freezing wind came through. They were kind of cold in their interactions too. Just not the friendliest. The beds were ok, got a single bed in a room to myself for 13 €, but I still wish I had chosen a different Albergue". (By Jodean)

WARM

- Ages, Pajar

- Leon, Monastery Benedictines
Big rooms in the cellar, great heating, but the showers start with cold water and then the temperature is fluctuating between burning hot and freezing cold.

- Ruitan, Pequena Potala.
Small space, therefore easier to heat. Central heating, thick duvets, HOT showers. (No kitchen tho, so hot tea for the sick ones for 1€)

- Barbadelo, Xunta de Galicia.
Hot showers and floor heating with regulation inside of the room. Fantastic. Place to stay for the sick ones if they want to dry their stuff and get better.

Hi Kerrygold.
Have changed my spring camino to winter and will be leaving in the next few weeks. I appreciate you taking the time to post this as it gives me info before hand from which I can make decisions.
Hope you feel better soon.
God Bless and Buen Camino :)

Although I am not walking this winter other than in my memories and dreams
here are a few practical tips re choosing a bunk gleaned from more than 450 cumulative nights spent in pilgrim albergues over the past 10 years.

In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. All night heating is not the norm hence make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your poncho beneath the bag to block the cold air from rising.

By the way my coldest albergue stop was in the old, old Hornillos de Camino place. You could see your breath indoors and by morning ice filled the toilet bowl!
...Cold indeed but a priceless memory! "Where are the snows of yesteryear?” / Mais où sont les neiges d'anten? ”

Last edited:
Although I am not walking this winter other than in my memories and dreams
here are a few practical tips re choosing a bunk gleaned from more than 450 cumulative nights spent in pilgrim albergues over the past 10 years.

In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. All night heating is not the norm hence make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your poncho beneath the bag to block the cold air from rising.

By the way my coldest albergue stop was in the old, old Hornillos de Camino place. You could see your breath indoors and by morning ice filled the toilet bowl!
...Cold indeed but a priceless memory! "Where are the snows of yesteryear?” / Mais où sont les neiges d'anten? ”

Thank you Margaret. You always have good winter advice which I have heeded for 2 caminos now and has been great help. Think I will make a point to avoid the old Hornillos place! I think ice inside the toilet bowl would officially deem anywhere cold! lol. Sorry to hear you aren't walking this year and hope you are well.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back