• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hot Water?

Aloha From Kauai

A Lifetime of Journeys
Time of past OR future Camino
April 3rd - June 3rd, 2022
Sorry for the odd question... but due to a long ago injury I've spent years sleeping with a heating pad; obviously that's not an option...would a hot water bottle or the therma heat patches be viable alternatives?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The pads and the bottle will not provide all-night heat at a continuous temperature like a heating pad can. Not sure if that is important to your situation.

The pads and the bottle will not provide all-night heat at a continuous temperature like a heating pad can. Not sure if that is important to your situation.
Thank you Joe

Yes sadly I know; I'lldefinitelymiss the relief. Do you think most Albergues will have some way to heat water do you think?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not sure if pilgrims will have access to the kitchen yet, and if you do, you might find water and a stove but no pots and pans. I would try to find an alternative - topical pain relief cream or deep heat cream might soothe it long enough for you to fall asleep? Or a pocket size tens machine might work to get you to sleep, and if you wake up, push the button and start it again?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would simply suggest going ahead and bringing the heating pad and an extension cord if it is needed for you. Maybe you could trade out something else in your pack to keep the weight down.

Sorry for the odd question... but due to a long ago injury I've spent years sleeping with a heating pad; obviously that's not an option...would a hot water bottle or the therma heat patches be viable alternatives?
I have used a single cup coil for heating hot water. Plug it in and quickly it heats the water whatever container you use. It would take a couple of cups but all you need is one with EU plug ins. We pack what we need. Best to you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think I once saw heating pads in the mall that you activate by squeezing them, no water or electricity required, and you can reuse them over and over. You could try googling this. I also think they came in a variety of sizes.

If it's not too heavy, I'd bring the heating pad. If it's heavier have correos carry it for you from albergue to albergue, along with part of your luggage.
When it's for medical reasons, I can't imagine anyone begrudging you the use of a power outlet or even trading beds to close to a power outlet. Never was with my CPAP machine.
Just carry a multiplug cube along, and if from the US make sure your device can use 220-240v power supply.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The difficulty is that you are not guaranteed to have a kitchen, pans, access, etc. Most albergue bathrooms will have hot water, but it can run out during the pilgrim shower/clothes-washing crunch plus it’s never guaranteed to be hot enough for your purpose. The extension cord idea could work, but electrical outlets can be hard to come by in many of the older albergues and you certainly don’t want to create a trip hazard for when those early-risers leave in the dark mornings.

Private rooms (at the higher cost!) will generally have a plug or using a kettle coil to heat water cup by cup seem to be the most reliable alternatives

I walked the CF with my travel CPAP machine last year. Generally had no problem finding plugins. If we called ahead for reservations, I let them know I needed a plugin and was always accomodated.

I find the patches quite effective and would probably be much lighter than carrying a water bottle or heating pad. Something like these....1647711790075.png

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I take a small hiking gas stove, so I can have hot water whenever I wish.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would carry the heating pad and a short electrical extension lead.
I always carry the rather dodgy double adaptor shown in the photo so I'm not depriving any one else of the use of an electrical outlet.
I describe the adaptor as dodgy because it doesn't have an earth connection. I only use it for charging my phone and phone chargers don't use an earth connection.

Attachments

• IMG_1268 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_1268 Medium.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1
I would carry the heating pad and a short electrical extension lead
The kind of heating pad that I linked to above is powered via a USB cable. A 10 ft/3 meter USB cable is probably lighter weight and can also be used to charge a phone and other electronics.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When we walked the Madrid in November of 2019 we stayed in in a house Coca and when asked about heat she handed each us a hot water bottle. So suppose it's possible.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.