• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hot weather camino questions

Eve Alexandra

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Astorga-SDC, April 2022 SJPP-Muxia
Nervously venturing into planning, and hoping for the best, but no plane tickets purchased yet.

My last camino was in March, and the one that got canceled in 2020 was also scheduled for March. Now I'm considering an August-September walk, SJPP-Finisterre, and I am trying to determine what to keep and what to replace in my pack. Every time I try to generate a packing list I notice I'm packing my *fears due to being unfamiliar with the weather this time of year.

From what I've read, August is a beast but September nights might get chilly. I'm 50 (read: I generally run hot), but I do get post exertion chill. Are merino long underwear plus a silk liner generally adequate for a cooler night in September or should I bring my costco quilt?

What is your favorite post exertion chill lightweight layer for this time of year, with a full zipper? Trying to decide between merino and synthetic.

I prefer hiking sandals. I pack trail runners for a spring camino because I got hit with snow and ice in '17. But for August- September, is there any real need for trail runners? I did the descent into El Acebo in hiking sandals. Is there any terrain that is more difficult than that, requiring trail runners (I started in Astorga...not sure about the more difficult terrain before that).

And if the safer window to return to the camino turns out to be September-October, does the packing list change significantly from an August-September camino?

Thanks for being here, and thanks to @ivar for keeping us all in the loop for the last year and for the recent email encouraging us all to hope and plan again.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm a traditional spring walker heading out in September as well.....but NOT August!

"Are merino long underwear plus a silk liner generally adequate for a cooler night in September or should I bring my costco quilt?"

I'm taking my quilt, but then again, I am not heading back until the end of October, and I suspect that Galicia will have cooled off quite a bit by then. Probably not in September, but weather makes fools of us all.

"What is your favorite post exertion chill lightweight layer for this time of year, with a full zipper? Trying to decide between merino and synthetic."

My trusty hooded zip up style fleece, which I would not describe as a "Light" fleece. Its fairly warm, but not that heavy. I'm a big fan of merino, all my shirts are wool, but its big advantage is the wicking behavior next to the skin. As outerwear, I find it too fragile, heavy, and expensive. Polyester all the way.

"I did the descent into El Acebo in hiking sandals. Is there any terrain that is more difficult than that, requiring trail runners (I started in Astorga...not sure about the more difficult terrain before that)."

To me, the descent from Acebo is the worst sustained patch of road on the Frances. There are a few other rocky spots further back, like the steep trails into Roncesvalles, Zubiri, and coming off the peak of Alto de Perdon. None of these are anywhere near as long as the descent from Acebo, so I think you are fine with sandals.

Buen Camino!

Are merino long underwear plus a silk liner generally adequate for a cooler night in September or should I bring my costco quilt?
If you are bringing the long underwear anyway then that should probably work. And/or cut the Costco blanket in half and tuck it inside your liner.
I prefer hiking sandals. I pack trail runners for a spring camino because I got hit with snow and ice in '17. But for August- September, is there any real need for trail runners?
IMO hiking sandals should be fine. In 2019 I did the Francés from SJPDP to León, then the Salvador to Oviedo, then the Norte to Santiago, then finally on to Finisterre in hiking sandals. I brought a pair of waterproof socks that I wore a couple of times.
My first Camino was late August through September - SJPDP to Finisterre. I have my packing list somewhere. I'm out and about today - when I get home I'll try to find it for you. One thing I can recommend for a light outer layer is this hoody from Uniqlo.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm a traditional spring walker heading out in September as well.....but NOT August!

LOL I never would have imagined going in August either, but a year long pandemic and I'm willing to reconsider. :D
Polyester all the way
Awesome. It's usually cheaper too. lol

To me, the descent from Acebo is the worst sustained patch of road on the Frances. There are a few other rocky spots further back, like the steep trails into Roncesvalles, Zubiri, and coming off the peak of Alto de Perdon. None of these are anywhere near as long as the descent from Acebo, so I think you are fine with sandals.
Thank you! This is good to know that nothing is worse than that descent. It was pretty awful. lol

If you are bringing the long underwear anyway then that should probably work. And/or cut the Costco blanket in half and tuck it inside your liner.
I figure the long underwear can double as early am leggings under a skirt if necessary. If I find a decent mid layer I might drop the ls merino top. I'll think about cutting the quilt. I had not considered that. I wish I could find something ultralight to stick inside the silk liner that isn't also slippery. That's the only thing I don't like about this system.

IMO hiking sandals should be fine. In 2019 I did the Francés from SJPDP to León, then the Salvador to Oviedo, then the Norte to Santiago, then finally on to Finisterre in hiking sandals. I brought a pair of waterproof socks that I wore a couple of times.
My first Camino was late August through September - SJPDP to Finisterre. I have my packing list somewhere. I'm out and about today - when I get home I'll try to find it for you. One thing I can recommend for a light outer layer is this hoody from Uniqlo.
I'd love to see the packing list. Off to check out the hoodie link. Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'll think about cutting the quilt. I had not considered that. I wish I could find something ultralight to stick inside the silk liner that isn't also slippery.
I didn't know about the Costco blankets before my first Camino, and I use this small down blanket from Montbell - it's not as slippery as the Costco blankets, which I have altered for people by cutting them down and binding the edges. Then I add ties that attach to loops inside the silk liner to keep it somewhat in place.

Here's the thread with my packing list "post mortem" from my first Camino. The list hasn't changed much for subsequent Caminos, though I do only wear sandals now. It's been a few years since I posted that list, so I'm sure that some of the links no longer work.
I now take a Packtowl Ultralite body size towel, which is lighter (3.4 ounces) and bigger than the Sea to Summit towel that I used before.

I didn't know about the Costco blankets before my first Camino, and I use this small down blanket from Montbell - it's not as slippery as the Costco blankets, which I have altered for people by cutting them down and binding the edges. Then I add ties that attach to loops inside the silk liner to keep it somewhat in place.

Here's the thread with my packing list "post mortem" from my first Camino. The list hasn't changed much for subsequent Caminos, though I do only wear sandals now. It's been a few years since I posted that list, so I'm sure that some of the links no longer work.
I now take a Packtowl Ultralite body size towel, which is lighter (3.4 ounces) and bigger than the Sea to Summit towel that I used before.
Thank you! Post mortem lists are my favorite. lol

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have you considered taking a sleeveless down vest. It is quite versatile since it can be worn any time - not likely needed during the day, but it is nice and cosy in the evenings, and you can wear it to bed (either wear it normally or open it out and spread it over your hips). In terms of bulk and weight, it would be similar to the half costco quilt.

Have you considered taking a sleeveless down vest. It is quite versatile since it can be worn any time - not likely needed during the day, but it is nice and cosy in the evenings, and you can wear it to bed (either wear it normally or open it out and spread it over your hips). In terms of bulk and weight, it would be similar to the half costco quilt.
For me, vests don't work because my core gets overheated while my arms are still cold. But anyone looking for a down vest consider this one from Uniqlo. I have the compact down jacket, and it only weighs 6.4 ounces in a size large, so I imagine that the vest is around 4 ounces - maybe less!
I will probably be taking the jacket on my next Camino. I wore it on my daily walks all winter here in Southern Oregon, and it was just the right weight.

Nervously venturing into planning, and hoping for the best, but no plane tickets purchased yet.

My last camino was in March, and the one that got cancelend in 2020 was also scheduled for March. Now I'm considering an August-September walk, SJPP-Finisterre, and I am trying to determine what to keep and what to replace in my pack. Every time I try to generate a packing list I notice I'm packing my *fears due to being unfamiliar with the weather this time of year.

From what I've read, August is a beast but September nights might get chilly. I'm 50 (read: I generally run hot), but I do get post exertion chill. Are merino long underwear plus a silk liner generally adequate for a cooler night in September or should I bring my costco quilt?

What is your favorite post exertion chill lightweight layer for this time of year, with a full zipper? Trying to decide between merino and synthetic.

I prefer hiking sandals. I pack trail runners for a spring camino because I got hit with snow and ice in '17. But for August- September, is there any real need for trail runners? I did the descent into El Acebo in hiking sandals. Is there any terrain that is more difficult than that, requiring trail runners (I started in Astorga...not sure about the more difficult terrain before that).

And if the safer window to return to the camino turns out to be September-October, does the packing list change significantly from an August-September camino?

Thanks for being here, and thanks to @ivar for keeping us all in the loop for the last year and for the recent email encouraging us all to hope and plan again.

I have always been a Spring walker but this year I will be walking late September through October. I have not firmed up dates yet.

I will make the assumption you are planning on walking the Frances. That said, it will probably be a lot like Spring without the rain. Cool in the mountains and warm on the Meseta. I plan to dress like I do in the Spring. Light weight UnderArmor long sleeve shirt and fleece in the morning. Remove fleece as it warms up. If it is particularly cool, I wear my rain gear, light weight north face.

Hiking shoes are a personal choice. I wear Merrill low cut hiking shoes with vibram soles. That said, everyone should wear a boot, shoe or sandal that fits and works for them.

My overall thought is that you should pack as light as can. If you under pack you can always buy. Overpack and you carry.

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have walked in September twice, the second time in sandals. Way better.
In 2016 we walked in a heat wave - the first two weeks were seriously hot, but by Burgos I needed all my layers. In 2019 it was cooler - we just missed the heat wave - and I needed all my layers most days.
I would start with t shirt, thin fleece jacket and light puffa - and end up just in my T shirt.
No doubt August would be hotter.

I have walked in September twice, the second time in sandals. Way better.
In 2016 we walked in a heat wave - the first two weeks were seriously hot, but by Burgos I needed all my layers. In 2019 it was cooler - we just missed the heat wave - and I needed all my layers most days.
I would start with t shirt, thin fleece jacket and light puffa - and end up just in my T shirt.
No doubt August would be hotter.
I’m so glad I asked about this. I never would have guessed cold mornings. Definitely not dropping my cool weather layers now. Thank you!

I have always been a Spring walker but this year I will be walking late September through October. I have not firmed up dates yet.

I will make the assumption you are planning on walking the Frances. That said, it will probably be a lot like Spring without the rain. Cool in the mountains and warm on the Meseta. I plan to dress like I do in the Spring. Light weight UnderArmor long sleeve shirt and fleece in the morning. Remove fleece as it warms up. If it is particularly cool, I wear my rain gear, light weight north face.

Hiking shoes are a personal choice. I wear Merrill low cut hiking shoes with vibram soles. That said, everyone should wear a boot, shoe or sandal that fits and works for them.

My overall thought is that you should pack as light as can. If you under pack you can always buy. Overpack and you carry.

Ultreya,
Joe
Even with my extra layers and carrying my trail runners I’m still coming in at under 10% of my weight. And I carried a 28 lb pack FSO when backpacking last summer (it was a last minute decision so didn’t have time to get UL gear). I’m a bit of an obsessive gear weigher. 😆 I am just a little unnerved by the change in time of year, so I decided to ask. And I’m so glad I did, since there is still a possibility of cool mornings and evenings. Thank you so much!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For me, vests don't work because my core gets overheated while my arms are still cold. But anyone looking for a down vest consider this one from Uniqlo. I have the compact down jacket, and it only weighs 6.4 ounces in a size large, so I imagine that the vest is around 4 ounces - maybe less!
I will probably be taking the jacket on my next Camino. I wore it on my daily walks all winter here in Southern Oregon, and it was just the right weight.
I’ve thought about it, but like @trecile it’s the arm coverage I most need when I’m chilled post workout. And I need a full zipper rather than the UL quarter zips because I’ve noticed I tend to remove and then put it back on several times. Not too keen on the static hair that comes from quarter zip tops. Lol

I’ll be looking into synthetic for sure, and I’ll keep my ls merino top too, since it’s thin 150.

I’ll dig out my silk glove liners from my winter hiking stash for sure. But leave my running gloves at home? What do you think?

Last edited:
“I brought a pair of waterproof socks that I wore a couple of times. “
Trecile, Please tell me more about waterproof socks. Were your feet dry? Were you swimming inside your shoes. What’s the scoop? I’ve often wondered about this option? Oh, and how do you wash them?

I’ve thought about it, but like @trecile it’s the arm coverage I most need when I’m chilled post workout. And I need a full zipper rather than the UL quarter zips because I’ve noticed I tend to remove and then put it back on several times. Not too keen on the static hair that comes from quarter zip tops. Lol
We must be twins! I don't see the point of quarter or half zip outer layers.
I'll dig out my silk glove liners from my winter hiking stash for sure. But leave my running gloves at home? What do you think?
I would take either the liner gloves or the running gloves. You'll probably only need gloves in the morning, and you can always wear socks on your hands if necessary.
“I brought a pair of waterproof socks that I wore a couple of times. “
Trecile, Please tell me more about waterproof socks. Were your feet dry? Were you swimming inside your shoes. What’s the scoop? I’ve often wondered about this option? Oh, and how do you wash them?
The waterproof socks did keep my feet dry. The brand I have are SealSkinz. They are thicker and stiffer than regular socks. I recommend the lightest weight that they have. I have only worn them with sandals, not regular shoes. They can be hand or machine washed following the manufacturer's instructions, and line dried.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lol I also think we might be twinning on packing lists. Your list was so similar to mine it kind of gave me confidence that I’m on the right track.

Idk what to think about the sealskinz, if they’d work for me? Part of the reason I love sandals is that on descents my toes don’t bang the end of my shoe (it’s a long story but I struggle with heel lock due to women’s shoes not coming in the right size for me). Are they actually comfortable? Do you wear thin socks as a first layer? Do you use them for warmth on cold but not wet days?

Lol I also think we might be twinning on packing lists. Your list was so similar to mine it kind of gave me confidence that I’m on the right track.

Idk what to think about the sealskinz, if they’d work for me? Part of the reason I love sandals is that on descents my toes don’t bang the end of my shoe (it’s a long story but I struggle with heel lock due to women’s shoes not coming in the right size for me). Are they actually comfortable? Do you wear thin socks as a first layer? Do you use them for warmth on cold but not wet days?
The SealSkinz socks shouldn't give you any trouble on descents. They don't feel that different from regular socks. That said, I only wore them a couple of times during a May Camino. I usually wear socks with my sandals while I'm on the Camino for several reasons. They keep my feet a bit cleaner, they cut down any rubbing from the straps, and they keep my feet and sandals from getting stinky. The first time that I wore only sandals on the Camino was during July on the Norte and I didn't have the waterproof socks yet. It rained quite a bit, but it was a warm summer rain. I wore my regular socks - WrightSocks, and wrung them out when I took a break and put them back on damp. I was worried about developing blisters with my damp feet, but they were fine.

The SealSkinz socks shouldn't give you any trouble on descents. They don't feel that different from regular socks. That said, I only wore them a couple of times during a May Camino. I usually wear socks with my sandals while I'm on the Camino for several reasons. They keep my feet a bit cleaner, they cut down any rubbing from the straps, and they keep my feet and sandals from getting stinky. The first time that I wore only sandals on the Camino was during July on the Norte and I didn't have the waterproof socks yet. It rained quite a bit, but it was a warm summer rain. I wore my regular socks - WrightSocks, and wrung them out when I took a break and put them back on damp. I was worried about developing blisters with my damp feet, but they were fine.
I also tend to wear socks with sandals due to strap rubbing. Wrightsocks. #twinning 😆

The other thing I’ve noticed is no matter what shoes I bring, my feet are happier if I swap to different shoes halfway through the day. I’m knocking around bringing two pair of sandals rather than a trail runner. I can’t see the point in a closed shoe like that in August-Sept, unless I’m missing something.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
. I’m knocking around bringing two pair of sandals rather than a trail runner. I can’t see the point in a closed shoe like that in August-Sept, unless I’m missing something.
That's what I did on my long combo Camino in 2019 - two pair of sandals. And I was very happy that I did because for some reason the sandals that I brought to be my primary footwear started bothering me, so I wore only the "back up" pair for a couple of weeks. Then I decided to try the "primary" sandals again, and they were fine, and I wore them for the rest of the Camino, using my back up sandals for walking around town and in the albergues.
When I did the Camino Portuguese from Porto in September I only took my hiking sandals and a pair of superlight Birkenstock knock offs for the albergues. Like these:
sandals.JPG

No way! Okay then that confirms it for me. I’ll definitely take two pair of sandals and a pair of shower shoes. Do the plastic birkies weigh less than crocs?

I’ll definitely take two pair of sandals and a pair of shower shoes. Do the plastic birkies weigh less than crocs?
My Birkenstock knock offs weigh 7.4 ounces for the pair. I wear a size 11 women's shoe. Why not just wear the regular sandals in the shower instead of a pair of shower shoes, which I personally never bother with. Except in a really slippery shower I go barefoot.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My Birkenstock knock offs weigh 7.4 ounces for the pair. I wear a size 11 women's shoe. Why not just wear the regular sandals in the shower instead of a pair of shower shoes, which I personally never bother with. Except in a really slippery shower I go barefoot.
Are these the shoes you used when your main hiking sandal started to hurt? If they’ll work as a sometimes trail shoe that would be awesome. 7.4 oz for a size 11 is fantastic. I’m in either an 11 wide or a 12 (I’m 6 ft tall).

Are these the shoes you used when your main hiking sandal started to hurt? If they’ll work as a sometimes trail shoe that would be awesome. 7.4 oz for a size 11 is fantastic. I’m in either an 11 wide or a 12 (I’m 6 ft tall).
No. I brought two pair of sandals suitable for the Camino. The primary pair had a beefier sole.
When I did the shorter Porto to Santiago Camino I brought hiking sandals and the faux Birkenstocks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I actually own these. I love them, but you can feel every single rock through the sole. But they might work on pavement days. My trail runners are xeros. I love their shoes.
I had a pair of the Z Trail sandals, but you are right about feeling every pebble. I sold mine to a friend. I have a pair of the Terraflex shoes which I took on the Norte, but I switched to wearing only my sandals on that Camino after having to clean the mud off my shoes and finding that they were still damp in the morning - cleaning sandals is much easier! And my toes are happier not being inside a shoe. So I pretty much only wore the one pair of footwear for a couple of weeks until I bought a second pair of sandals for after Camino wear and mailed the Terraflex shoes to Ivar in Santiago.

My last camino was in March, and the one that got canceled in 2020 was also scheduled for March. Now I'm considering an August-September walk, SJPP-Finisterre, and I am trying to determine what to keep and what to replace in my pack. Every time I try to generate a packing list I notice I'm packing my *fears due to being unfamiliar with the weather this time of year.

I preferred lightweight silk undershirt and long pants; had one merino undershirt but am not comfortable with wool next to skin. Silk is both light and warm, breathes, washes and dries easily. Keen sandals work well for me--here at home too. Can wear wool or cotton socks depending on weather. Lightish fleece under a Columbia water resistant jacket. Remember you will find small shops with sometimes surprising things (gloves! in one) and bigger shops in cities, including SJPP.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I also tend to wear socks with sandals due to strap rubbing. Wrightsocks. #twinning 😆

The other thing I’ve noticed is no matter what shoes I bring, my feet are happier if I swap to different shoes halfway through the day. I’m knocking around bringing two pair of sandals rather than a trail runner. I can’t see the point in a closed shoe like that in August-Sept, unless I’m missing something.
Actually , the last time when I walked in sandals, they were all I needed. I wore them with socks whilst walking, then without once I reached my destination and had showered. I do take light flip flops for the shower, and sometimes for walking around a town (not great with cobbles)
I'm a sandal convert now.
I spent a LOT of time finding the right sandal though.

Actually , the last time when I walked in sandals, they were all I needed. I wore them with socks whilst walking, then without once I reached my destination and had showered. I do take light flip flops for the shower, and sometimes for walking around a town (not great with cobbles)
I'm a sandal convert now.
I spent a LOT of time finding the right sandal though.
Finding the right sandals is a long process. I own the xero sandals, Chacos, Keens, and Tevas. Currently testing the Tevas. I wonder sometimes if long distance walking just requires socks with any brand of sandal.

Shoutout for the xero terraflex which are fantastic trail runners. Best toebox ever, imho. I added an insole to fix the “feel every rock” factor. 😆

I’ve thought about it, but like @trecile it’s the arm coverage I most need when I’m chilled post workout.
Has anyone tried these arm warmers?

Admittedly, I haven't done a Camino yet - here to learn. I do have a Smartwool pair of these arm warmers and have worn them a little bit - kind of an interesting option and nice to add to short sleeves if you don't really need the full extra layer....or to keep you a little warmer even under a light jacket on a windy day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I walked beginning of September to mid October2019. It was hot. I wished I had packed shorts. I wore my down jacket once for a few hours on a misty Galicean morning. It was cooler by the time I reached Santiago. I am mid 60's and walk hot. I wore sandals some days. It's not a great look, but suggest you wear light socks with your sandals.

Has anyone tried these arm warmers?

Admittedly, I haven't done a Camino yet - here to learn. I do have a Smartwool pair of these arm warmers and have worn them a little bit - kind of an interesting option and nice to add to short sleeves if you don't really need the full extra layer....or to keep you a little warmer even under a light jacket on a windy day.
I recently got the OR version of these arm sleeves. They are more for sun protection, and for keeping your arms COOL. It is amazing for that. My arms are cooler when wearing the sleeves than if they were bare. The wicking and evaporation really sheds the heat.

However, you were wondering if these would be good to put on for warmth. My response would be... wrong product for that purpose. You need arm warmers.. similar in appearance but fabric choices will be different.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I recently got the OR version of these arm sleeves. They are more for sun protection, and for keeping your arms COOL. It is amazing for that. My arms are cooler when wearing the sleeves than if they were bare. The wicking and evaporation really sheds the heat.

However, you were wondering if these would be good to put on for warmth. My response would be... wrong product for that purpose. You need arm warmers.. similar in appearance but fabric choices will be different.
Maybe it is because he hasn't finished pulling them up yet, but in the photo for the Buff arm sleeves, it looks like he is asking for a narrow strip of sunburn between the top of the sleeve tube and the bottom of his tee shirt.

I've always found a loose, light coloured, long-sleeved shirt useful for sun protection and keeping your arms cool on a hot, sunny day. It shades the arm, reflects the sun, and loose fitting enables air flow and evaporation.

I would take a look at the long term forecast before you go and adapt if you see two weeks of blazing sun or rain. You can always pick up something cheap in Leon or post stuff home. August sun can be really brutal. I took a very lightweight ladies scarf (like you get from a cheap accessories store) which was brilliant, large enough to wrap over my head (I didn't bother with a hat), chest and tops of arms which worked well to keep the sun from burning. Alternatively you do the leaving at 5am thing but that's not my style and it seems a bit sad to walk most of your camino in the dark!

I also had a couple of days of thunderstorms where the temperature plummeted, it chucked it down and everyone got really cold standing around waiting for the storm to ease. Then we had persistent rain, it was still shorts, t-shirt and poncho weather for walking but in the evening it was chilly because everything was damp and you would have wanted something with a bit of warmth like a lightweight fleece or a very lightweight down jacket (but a pain if it gets wet). Santiago was more like being in the tropics, hot and humid and wet, no need for a jacket/fleece

I think you'll be fine in sandals, I usually walk in sandals.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Good point - I should have looked more closely at the fabric in the link before I posted. The ones I have are merino arm *warmers* from Smartwool, but looks like they are no longer in stock. Best bet might be to check with cycling stores for arm warmers: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/...U0eDAFvQlgtpJ8c5m_d3eB5G_2N_1OaxoCdgkQAvD_BwE

I wish I could find something ultralight to stick inside the silk liner that isn't also slippery. That's the only thing I don't like about this system.
Possibly Velcro will do the trick. Though you would want to have several small Velcroed patches to place over the strips sewn into the silk sack so they won't irritate you at night if you don't have anything else attached.

Just an update...I’ve decided to postpone. I just don’t think I’m ready for international travel this soon after a worldwide pandemic. I didn’t think I’d feel this way, and yet here I am. I need to watch and wait a bit more. Assuming things continue to get better, worldwide, I’ll go in ‘22. Curious about January caminos. I may go read up on that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.