• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotel in Léon

ElFrikandel

Hi,

Next month I will do the last part of the camino to Santiago. I have booked a plane to Valladolid and will take the alsa bus to Léon, where I will arrive later in the evening.

Does anybody knows a good place to sleep for my first night in Léon: hotel, hostels, refugio,... ?
All ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Kristof, (ouwe frikandel)

I think my wife and I are making the same trip as you.....Brussel-Valladolid (Ryanair) ......Valladolid-Leon by train or bus and than starting to walk to the west!!

1. Try Pension Sandoval in Leon. I reserved a double room (2 persons) for 29 Euro a night breakfast included. I will stay there 3 - 4 th May so I can't give you my personal experience yet.
You can find good info at: http://pensionsandoval.no-ip.org/index.html
You can mail them and Theresa answers you in very good English via mail and that email is also your reservation.

2.Did you consider taking the train from Valladolid to Léon ? Departure at 17.01 and arrives at Leon at 18.45 hr. Costs are (only?) € 9,75.

Buen Camino!
Paul

Hi Paulus,

Indeed, we are approximately doing the same trip. The only thing is, we will start in Astorga (bus in the morning the day after the flight) because we only have about 12 walking days.

I have not yet considered the train, but maybe I should do so!
It is a lot cheaper than the bus, and has about the same timetable.
I have some other questions:
- how will you get from the airport to the train station: taxi, bus, ... ?
- do you have to make a reservation for the train in advance?

Cheers,
Kristof.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Calle Ancha is the cool pedestian street which runs next to the Cathedral.
I have stayed at Hotel Paris, 100m from the Cathedral.
Listed price for a single is about 50, a double is about 60, however ...
There is a discount for paying cash, no written 'factura'.

Hotel Paris
Calle Ancha 18
24003 LEÓN (León)
España
Phone: 987 238 600
Fax: 987 271 572
Web: http://www.hotelparisleon.com
Email: hotel@hotelparisleon.com

San Marcos

Perhaps this is the right place to stay in Leon perhaps it is not but the Parador San Marcos is a historic monument and part of the history of the Camino. Maybe one last night of luxury before hitting the trail and the refugios is not a sin. Having stayed there myself I certainly hope so and even if you don't stay there look around it, it's on the camino on the way out of town.
Buen Camino
William

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
ElFrikandel said:
- how will you get from the airport to the train station: taxi, bus, ... ?

on request, buses on the Valladolid-Leon line will stop at the airport, but you have to prebook/prepay. http://www.alsa.es
otherwise, there's an airport bus to the bus station, which is not far from the railway stn

ElFrikandel said:
- do you have to make a reservation for the train in advance?

no

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Re: San Marcos

William Marques said:
the Parador San Marcos is a historic monument and part of the history of the Camino. Maybe one last night of luxury before hitting the trail and the refugios is not a sin. Having stayed there myself I certainly hope so and even if you don't stay there look around it, it's on the camino on the way out of town.

would agree with you, William. As you say, it's on the way out of town, and the main problem with it is it's a long way from the cathedral and the rest of the city centre

Why is stopping in a hotel sinful?

PS San Marcos is celebrating 40 years as a hotel this year. They were offering special rates earlier in the year, but they seem to have stopped that now - tourist season must have started ;-)

I just checked the 2005 rates for the Parador de León, and it's about 175 per evening in the Peregrino season. Just a wee bit out of my range, but it's such a glorious edifice, and striking well lit at night. Not near the Catedral by a long shot, but it IS on your way out of town. I've stopped by the bar for an evening vaso de vino, after all ... Con pan y vino se anda el Camino ...

Parador de León *****
Plaza de San Marcos 7
24001 LEÓN (León)
España
Phone +34 987 237 300
Fax +34 987 233 458
Email leon@parador.es
http://www.parador.es

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
San Marcos

Despite what some people say it is possible to turn up or ring a day ahead and book a room at the San Marcos or the Reyes Catolicos. I can't say it will work every time but so far so good for me. Food wise I found the San Marcos worth eating in the Reyes Catolicos not. As Peter says when you compare the cost to exorbitant British hotel prices it does not seem so bad.

Exchange rates

Both the Reyes Católicos and San Marcos are touted as Five Star Deluxe. No other Paradors bear that moniker. I suppose you could compare the price to a hotel in London to justify the expense. The other factor to consider is the exchange rate. You guys the UK have a very strong Pound to Euro exchange rate, this morning £ 1.00 buys € 1.47. On the left side of the pond, $1.00 buys a mere € .77. You have a decided advantage in buying power with a strong Pound versus a weak Dollar. It will seem less expensive to you, but more expensive to me, simply from a standpoint of national origin.

the point was that in international terms these prices are not high for that class of hotel. I just did a random search for a room in downtown New York City for a random date in May. It came up with several that were substantially more than San Marcos - luxury hotels, no doubt, but of no historic or architectural interest whatsoever.

Best thing to do, Grant, is find someone to send you to Leon on company expenses :lol:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Per Diem, San Marcos, and the Holy Grail

Peter,

I fear my days of expensing out hotel stays are in the past. I am retired, and my chief currency is now time, instead of money. It used to be the other way around, fluid in money, and no time. Ah well, c’est la vie. If you hear of an enterprise that would be amenable to sending me to León on expense, please let me know. I’d love it. There’s a job I’ll take in a New York minute. :D

Best Regards,

Hostal San Martin, Leon

I stayed there just 2 weeks ago - they were not full then, but as the season progresses, you might book in advance (http://www.turismocastillayleon.com/)
It is literally 5 min from the Cathedral, nice and quiet, but within walking to the Barrio Humidor (is that what its called?) 30E for double w bathroom and great breakfast for E1.70

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
thank you ! I stand corrected.... must be the drinks there that contributed to memory loss ! Quite a "happening" place... it was bustling when we left AFTER we had dinner at one of the local cafes there

Thank you all for the suggestions.
I have tried to send some e-mails to Pension Sandoval, but I don't get any replies. Maybe it's because I don't speak Spanish and I wrote them in English. I don't know.

Anyways, I'm looking for a not-too-expensive alternative (50-70 euro).

During my search I came across Hotel Temple Riosol. It's very close to the bus & train stations (this is important to me), it's 3 stars, only 50 euro per night for a double room, and I can book it via the internet.
Does anyone here have some experience with it?

First Night

I know it is nice to book ahead but as soon as you take you first step on the camino you will not know where you will be sleeping the next night. As all you will be carrying is a small backpack I hope, it will not be difficult to wander around Leon to find a hotel/hostal you like the look of. Remember they stay open a lot later in Spain than Northern Europe or America.
If you want to book the hotel do so but don't worry if you arrive in Leon without a booking. If you're not too late the refugio may still be open.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
Greetings all! So I'm a "proper planning prevents poor performance", kinda guy. I was able to make a loose schedule for my Camino Frances last year that worked extremely well, and allowed me to...
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.