• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotel in Leon

jennysa

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
Can anyone recommend a hotel in Leon, please.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Jenny

I really like the Posada Regia. Here's their English website. http://www.regialeon.com/indexi.php They have an annex, now, but I've only stayed in the main building. Some complain about street noise, but I haven't had a problem and I'm pretty sensitive to that. Great location, right off the main pedestrian drag.

My son has stayed at the Hostal Albany, http://www.albanyleon.com/en/default.asp -- it's a little cheaper and a little closer to the cathedral. I have eaten in the restaurant attached to this place and it's "upscale" and modern and good.

Of course there's always the parador -- and depending on when you're going to be there, you might be surprised to find a cheap deal going on. Its main drawback IMO is that though it's right on the Camino, being down by the river puts it about a 15 minute walk outside of the old part around the cathedral.
Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
peregrina2000 said:
Some complain about street noise, but I haven't had a problem and I'm pretty sensitive to that.
I stayed close to the cathedral in a 3* hotel in Leon. It wasn't the street noise that got me, but the internal workings of the hotel. Most of it appeared to be from people returning to their rooms, using the lifts, the toilets etc, etc at all hours of the night.

Regards,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stayed at the Hostal Albany. It was quite fine for basic accommodations and it is right across the plaza from the Cathedral. I would stay there again.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to send in their suggestions. There are some great ones there.

I loved Hotel Paris. I liked Leon so much that I ended up staying for 3 days and it was a great treat. They took great care of us, the location is terrific, and it was nice to enjoy the spa and relax a little. If you travel by yourself, you can pair up with a fellow pilgrim or two (which is what I did) to lower the cost. And, if you're lucky, you might see the cathedral from your window.

Here's the hotel website-
http://www.hotelparisleon.com

Buen Camino!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Jenny, Hostal Albany was very good, quite economical in the off-season. I think I took a double rest day there. Actually, I'm sure I did - I just don't like admitting it.

I no longer remember who recommended it, BUT whoever/whatever it was recommended staying at the Parador de Leon. After 23 days on the Camino my wife and I took that advice and stayed there and enjoyed a little luxury. The room was fabulous, the food at the restaurant was grand..and it actually was not that unreasonable.

I would second the Parador recommendation. Besides comfortable rooms and great food, you can take your time soaking up the history of the hotel. It is a very comfortable walk to the Cathedral area activity and a bonus is that when you depart you have about a km headstart. If you are over 55, they give great discounts and the breakfast included is probably worth 25 euros by itself.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If your budget doesn't stretch to the Parador (or the Albany) and you don't mind being a block away from the Cathedral, the Don Suero is a newish, clean, comfortable hotel with a cafe bar attached.
€24 for a single room and €40 for a double.
http://www.hostaldonsuero.es/sitio/html ... cipal.html

I second the recommendation to stay at Posada Regia. Stayed two nights in June and it was comfortable and the location is perfect.

I've now stayed in high, mid, and low end places in Leon. I was in the parador on my very first camino in 2000, and truth be told, it felt a little funny to me. Since I usually spend a rest day there, I either sleep one night in the albergue and then move, or just spend two nights in the private lodging. I've tended toward the mid range -- Posada Regia several times, Boccalino twice. But I've stayed in two really nice bargain places, the Hostal San Martin, and the Pension Blanca. http://www.pensionblanca.com/default.asp I wanted to give a special shout out for the last one, because it is very pilgrim friendly, includes breakfast in the 27 euro single room price, has a computer in the little gathering room, does laundry for 5 euros wash and dry, and allows pilgrims to use the kitchen for cooking and/or just storing stuff in the frig. Very clean. The owner is a very hard working and kind woman, Blanca. Things have been tough in the tourist industry, I hope she makes it.

The location is about 10 minutes from the cathedral on the main street that goes to the train station, about the same distance from the camino arrow at the parador as the albergue.

Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
micbook said:
I loved Hotel Paris. I liked Leon so much that I ended up staying for 3 days and it was a great treat. They took great care of us, the location is terrific, and it was nice to enjoy the spa and relax a little. If you travel by yourself, you can pair up with a fellow pilgrim or two (which is what I did) to lower the cost. And, if you're lucky, you might see the cathedral from your window.

Here's the hotel website-
http://www.hotelparisleon.com

Buen Camino!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

I second Hotel Paris, very central to everything and a great place to unwind for a couple of days.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Next door to the Benedictine Aubergue in Leon is a Benedictine Hotel. I think it is three star. It has a lovely entrance and the rooms are private for 35 euro. Off the main foyer are entrances to the nuns' cloister, the church where there is mass and the Offices, and the hotel rooms upstairs. The nuns run the Hotel and are very hospitable. The place has a good feel, is quite clean. It is a living monastery. In the evening after Compline the superior blesses the pilgrims.
I stayed two nights in Leon. On the second I went over and checked into the Parador. If your budget can handle the Parador and you are only staying one night in Leon, I would recommend staying there. It has such historical significance and it has been renovated with great sensitivity. In May the rate was 119. euro.

Since the Parador is a bit out of town center, you might like to take advantage of the bicycles that can be rented from the tourist office. I rented one for half the day. I think it was around 3 euro--very inexpensive.

I had a look for the website for this hotel and found the Hospederia Pax.
Is that the one you are referring to? Their prices are higher - €66 for a single and €77 for a double room.
http://www.hospederiapax.com/

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are many pensiones and hotels in Leon.
I have stayed at
the Pension Sandoval
c/Hospicio, 11 -2°, 24003 Leon.
Tel 987212041, 651416864
pensionsandoval@yahoo.es
http://www.pensionsandovalleon.com
The double room for one person was €30 in April.

About 100 m from the camino and very close to the Carbajal.

EDIT: I checked my notes and the triple room for one person was €25 April 17, 2012.

Thanks Annie.
I fancied staying in a hotel attached to a convent but the Hospederia Pax is a little expensive!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Alan - I've just clicked on your link and it is €180 for a single!

sillydoll said:
Thanks Annie.
I fancied staying in a hotel attached to a convent but the Hospederia Pax is a little expensive!

The Sandoval is a good choice - with shared bathroom (which is fine for me) and the rooms are heated! You get your key and are free to stay out later if you wish so. English is spoken.
I checked my notes and the triple room for one person was €25 April 17, 2012.

On the other hand I visited friends staying at the Carbajal and it was really nice and cosy there also. This was April 17, 2012 and the albergue was only half full.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a good street map of Leon so I've looked at three Pensions:

Pension Blanca Avenida Ordoño II (looks very nice) close to where you cross the river for the bus station. Double room with bath € 43: Single room €27 : Double room -Shared bathroom € 35 : Single room - Shared bathroom € 22 : Triple room € 55: Shared kitchen and living room.

San Martin, Plaza Torres de Omaña - in the middle of the 'blue' square so close to all the monuments and the cathedral. Dbl shared bath € 31 : Dbl en suite € 43 : Single shared bath € 23
Single en suite € 31 : Triple en suite € 55

Sandoval, Calle del Hospicio, a little bit closer to the cathedral than Blanca and in the outer 'blue' zone which is the 'antigua' area on the map. (Looks very nice too) two shared bathrooms, shared kitchen. Double €35 Individual €20 Triple € 50

Pension Blanca and San Martin's prices are almost identical. Sandoval is a little cheaper but doesn't have en suite bathrooms. Nothing much between them excepting for position.

I agree with the Hotel Paris recommendation. I stayed there for one night in June of this year. Good location, reasonable price, and one of those rare Camino indulgences - a room to myself!

It was actually quite fortuitous for me on the day. It wasn't my intention to stay in a hotel that night - I regarded hotel nights as a 'free pass', but restricted myself to just a few - but realised the municipal albergue wouldn't work for me only when I got there. I don't recall whether it was bad intel in my guide book, but I had been labouring under the misapprehension that the albergue stayed open until 11pm, but in actual fact it closed its doors at 9.30pm. Now, there were many days where that wouldn't have been an issue, but this was during Euro 2012, and Ireland were playing their first match in the tournament that night (didn't work out very well, but that's another story), and so I simply wasn't prepared to miss it. There was an albergue on the outskirts of the city which, I heard later, was effectively open 24 hours, but doubling back having reached the heart of the city didn't feel like an attractive option.

So, I wandered around aimlessly for a few minutes, checking for hotels on my mobile phone (an expensive business with international roaming!), and then had the good fortune to turn a corner and almost literally bump into a Camino friend whom I hadn't seen for about a week. She, it turned out, was being nice to herself that day and had already booked into Hotel Paris. I was happy to go with her recommendation, and it worked out very well!

sillydoll said:
I have a good street map of Leon so I've looked at three Pensions:

Pension Blanca Avenida Ordoño II (looks very nice) close to where you cross the river for the bus station. Double room with bath € 43: Single room €27 : Double room -Shared bathroom € 35 : Single room - Shared bathroom € 22 : Triple room € 55: Shared kitchen and living room.

San Martin, Plaza Torres de Omaña - in the middle of the 'blue' square so close to all the monuments and the cathedral. Dbl shared bath € 31 : Dbl en suite € 43 : Single shared bath € 23
Single en suite € 31 : Triple en suite € 55

Sandoval, Calle del Hospicio, a little bit closer to the cathedral than Blanca and in the outer 'blue' zone which is the 'antigua' area on the map. (Looks very nice too) two shared bathrooms, shared kitchen. Double €35 Individual €20 Triple € 50

Pension Blanca and San Martin's prices are almost identical. Sandoval is a little cheaper but doesn't have en suite bathrooms. Nothing much between them excepting for position.

Would definitely recommend San Martin in Plaza Torres de Omana virtually on Camino near the cathedral. Single room with shared, excellent toilet/shower facilities very good value at Euro23. Stayed there twice, once en route to Santiago and second time when returning to Santander. Phone number is +34 987 875 187, small second floor boutique hotel, so reservation recommended.

I actually vote for Hostal San Marcos, the Parador. I was surprised at the cost, which was way less a night than what a medium-tier business hotel would cost in a major American city.The bar was also competitive. A group of us had assumed the prices would be ridiculous, and they were not. I used Booking.com. There is so much to see in the building that I think actually staying there helps. I know I explored parts that were unknown to other pilgrims. It's kind of fitting, too, since it was once a pilgrim hospital. }:)

http://www.sanmartinhostales.es/

I stayed here for two nights on my rest day in Leon and it was very quiet, with ensuite and fantastic value at about 40 euros. Only a couple of blocks from the Cathedral and a nice host couple.

I would suggest as a treat though to check out whether you can get a good rate at the Paradour.
Amazing place and I heard afterwards I could have had a room there for 65 euros on special.
I did not even enquire at the time thinking it was way out of my price range.

AlanB said:
I stumbled across this joint. Jaw-droppingly beautiful, very central, great food and about 40 euros.
http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/monumen ... f44;dcid=1

I absolutely love the look of this place and was able to book two nights there for next June (double occupancy) for 100€. This is going to be my (and my wife's) oasis for two days before the completion of our Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had a quick look and for 1 June the double room is €68 per night. Stunning!!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.