• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotel in Madrid

rickster

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012), LePuy (2013), Coastal Portuguese( 2013), Norte (Fall 2014)
Any suggestions for an nice hotel in Madrid near the town center/tourist area?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there, My husband and I stayed at this hotel two years and were very pleased. It's not inexpensive ... but you did say "nice" :)

HotelPreciados**** * Hotel Preciados **** *
Calle de Preciados, 37
(28013) (Centro) MADRID
Spain
Telephone: +34 914 54 44 00
Fax: +34 914 54 44 01
E-Mail: info@preciadoshotel.com

Thanks very much. Looks very nice.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Next week, I'm staying at Hotel Paramides, Paseo de la Acacias, 40 in Madrid. It is a HI chain, so it is not necessarily cheap. The main reasons for staying there are: convenience to airport transportation, central Madrid location, and one metro stop to the train station (Madrid puerta de Atoche). Airport transport: depending on which airport terminal you come into, you have two choices to get to this hotel. Renfe started operating recently a commuter train (runs every half hour) from terminal 4 to Principe Pio. Renfe´s commuter service is Called Cercanias C. The station just before Pio is Piramides which is where this hotel is. From the other 3 terminals you have to take the Metro (subway) Line 8 to Nuevos Ministerios then change to Line 10 to Alonso Martinez direction Puerta del Sur and finally change to Line 5 direction Casa de Campo which takes you Piramides station. I'm staying overnight here prior to starting my camino on Friday Apr 21. I learned that one can get a credencial either at the Madrid cathedral (Catedral de la Almudena) before or after the mass (the priest can stamp it), or the pilgrims' office (open 7-9 pm) on calle Carretas near Plaza Mayor. The next day (April 20), I will take the train to Pamplona leaving 7:35 am arriving Pamplona 10:38 am, then bus to Roncesvalles and finally taxi to SJPP. I hope I can find enough pilgrims to share a taxi direct from Pamplona to SJPP appro 87 euros that can be shared. Angelo

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Rickster,

I stayed in the Hotel Rex which is on the Gran Via in central Madrid on two occasions last year 2011. I wrote a favourable review for TripAdvisor on 23rd June 2011.

I think the price at the time was about £65 or 65 Euros but this included breakfast.

The breakfast was described as 'American style buffet' and you will not go hungry. The food ranged from toast, cereals, fruit juice, tea. coffee,fresh fruit, yoghurt and hot breakfasts including some of the traditional Spanish dishes.

Hotel Rex is located between metro Callao (at the top of the street) and metro Plaza de Espana at the bottom of the street.

Close by is El Corte Inglis and Puerta Del Sol (the main square) is only a 10 minute walk away.

The main problem with Hotel Rex is that the hotel reception is not at street level. It is at basement level. So you have to walk in off the street and down a flight of stairs. Once you have registered there are lifts to all floors. But it is tricky if you are manhandling luggage down the stairs or up them on check out as there is no lift for this floor level. Even trickier I should imagine if you are feeling your age or are elderly. No problem if you don't have much luggage.

I have just checked again on TripAdvisor and it does seem to have some mixed reviews. I would say it is more three star than four star but I personally, would stay there again mainly for the breakfast and I can find my way about from there.

Sorry to be a bit vague with the information but I have hit 63 this week and I can feel myself going gaga.

Best regards in your endeavours

Charlieboy.

Wow, thanks for all the great advice. I off in exactly three weeks!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back