• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotel near Madrid airport

frannie z

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: 2022,2023
Are there any “nice” hotels/suburban towns near Madrid airport that would allow for a walkabout, decent food, something to see/do? Must come from Santiago and overnight for late morning flight to US. I’m not opposed to staying in Madrid if there’s a section closer to airport.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you look up the town of Barajas on here you will find a town next to airport that feels nothing like an airport town! It’s quite a nice place with some good eateries and a relaxed atmosphere and has a Metro stop.
Are there any “nice” hotels/suburban towns near Madrid airport that would allow for a walkabout, decent food, something to see/do? Must come from Santiago and overnight for late morning flight to US. I’m not opposed to staying in Madrid if there’s a section closer to airport.

I’ve stayed at the airport hotel which is handy for getting in or out late/early and once I stayed at the Melia Barajas. It was a very nice hotel (I must have gotten a good deal) and they had a shuttle from the airport. There’s a few eateries and supermarkets nearby but the hotel itself was nice just to chill out at. Wasn’t there long enough to know what else Barajas has (apart from other hotels).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We stay at Hostel Viky in Barajas . The have a free shuttle. The rooms are clean and the town center is a block away. Book early!

We stayed at the Axor Feria in 2017 on both ends of our stay. They do have an airport shuttle, a decent restaurant, a bar and nice rooms. An actual large mall is within walking distance if you want to do some shopping. We Ubered to the square, cathedral and palace area for some quick touristy sights.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've stayed near the airport and there is absolutely to do and no place to walk.

It is much easier to stay in the city and take the Cercanias train to the airport.

-Paul

I've stayed near the airport and there is absolutely to do and no place to walk.

It is much easier to stay in the city and take the Cercanias train to the airport.

-Paul
I arrive in Madrid from Santiago on June 24 and fly out June 25. After much deliberation to stay near airport or stay near city centre I have decided to stay in the city and enjoy my last night in Spain walking around the city rather than out by the airport.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I arrive in Madrid from Santiago on June 24 and fly out June 25. After much deliberation to stay near airport or stay near city centre I have decided to stay in the city and enjoy my last night in Spain walking around the city rather than out by the airport.
When coming and going from the Camino, I usually stay in Madrid at the Urban Sea Atocha 113, located on Atocha Street at #113. It is a simple, but clean and friendly hotel, and reasonably priced, considering the location. It is a short walk uphill to the Plaza Mayor and an even shorter walk downhill to the Atocha train station. If you have the time, there are a few museums and a nice park nearby to visit.

Last edited:
I think that many of us from the US come to this issue based on our US experience — airport hotels a mile from the airport, regular shuttle, great for after you drop the rental car off at the airport, etc. We are also shaped by the fact that in the US there is frequently no good public transit option to the city, or if there is, it takes more than an hour to get from the city to the airport.

I know lots of people like staying in Barajas (the town) at Hostal Viky, but for my money, since getting into central Madrid is so cheap and so quick, I would always prefer to stay in Madrid proper rather than at an airport hotel, where the food is likely to be bad, the charm non-existent, and the surrounding area a maze of intersecting highways.

Two years ago, during the height of covid, we had to stop in Madrid overnight on our way home from Lisbon. I reserved an airport hotel for the first time ever, thinking it would be the quickest and the best option for us the next morning. In hindsight I was wrong. The airport shuttle took more than an hour to come pick us up at the airport, and it took us to the dismal place I described above. The next morning, given the hotel shuttle schedule, we had to leave the hotel at the same time we would have had to get on Cercanías from downtown anyway.

It’s certainly up to you where to sleep, but in my experience, the Madrid airport hotel option does not provide the advantages that you may be used to in the US. IMO, it is just not better than going downtown, having a good meal and a nighttime stroll through a beautiful historical core, and then heading out to the airport the next morning.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you look up the town of Barajas on here you will find a town next to airport that feels nothing like an airport town! It’s quite a nice place with some good eateries and a relaxed atmosphere and has a Metro stop.
We've stayed in Barajas a couple times (non Camino trips) and it's perfect for the airport. There is good food and a fantastic and hugely expansive park called Juan Carlos I (Parque De Juan Carlos I ) which is a great place to walk and unlike any park you've ever been to.

I'm actually planning my last day on this coming Camino trip to stay in Barajas and go to the park again and to the nice church called Nuestra Senora De Loreto.

Although it may be pertinent that I am taking a couple days in Madrid when I arrive to do some sightseeing and eating before heading to Pamplona/SJPdP.

My actual first choice between leaving Santiago and getting on the plane in Madrid would be spending time in Barcelona and especially Monserrat because we love it there. But time-wise I don't think that will work out this trip.

-Paul
That's what I think, too! I stayed near the airport once (must have been in a different area from all these people saying there were eateries) and there was really no food around, or maybe they closed weirdly early or something. Anyway, it wasn't pleasant. It was a bed and a free airport shuttle, but next time I'll stay in Madrid on the Cercanias or metro line.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's what I think, too! I stayed near the airport once (must have been in a different area from all these people saying there were eateries) and there was really no food around, or maybe they closed weirdly early or something. Anyway, it wasn't pleasant. It was a bed and a free airport shuttle, but next time I'll stay in Madrid on the Cercanias or metro line.
Hey folks just got back and stayed in a hotel in that airport town BARAJAS! Total dump! Wish I had gone into Madrid and had a good meal!

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Greetings! I will be traveling with my daughter to walk the Camino Portuguese from Porto in July. The dates are a bit flexible, but not completely so. I’ve been researching flight tickets, and...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back