• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotel price update. Tomar.

• Thread starter Deleted member 74998
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 74998

A note for anyone using Brierley guide for hotel.
H**Cavaleiros de Cristo.
I paid 35€ for single room. Check before booking to confirm prices might be a good idea.....
I am still learning!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wonder? Booked a room in Fatima which was a bit more expensive but a world of difference. Superb in fact....
Anyone interested, pm me.

Yes we are headed to Fatima after Finisterre/Muxia ... yes i would like your recommendation!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The market price is always the market price. You can overpay on the walk-up price by pre-booking on berking.com or tripeadvertiser.com or you can take your chances and negotiate with the proprietor on the night. We are all free to fall about laughing at the first price and offer 50% (which used to be sound advice for some countries in the years before Tim Berners-Lee's infernal invention (in fact 10% in some places)) but the price of a bed is the price of a bed. You can be as tight as you like in a Donativo but the average family run Hostal has worked out their averages over a long period of experience and they charge cost+profit and maybe with a little bit of contingency either way depending on 'cash or credit-card', 'smart-gear' or 'battered', pilgrim or not.

Berking has your room at £45 (€50) tonight, seems you got the pilgrim discount. Be happy....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Has anyone bothered to look at the Brierley guide entry for this hotel?
That's why I posted and much good it seems to have done me.
Don't, please, lecture me about supply and demand economics, booking websites etc.
I saw a discrepency and merely posted my experience.
The tone of this thread has now become objectional. I'm out of here.

Has anyone bothered to look at the Brierley guide entry for this hotel?
That's why I posted and much good it seems to have done me.
Don't, please, lecture me about supply and demand economics, booking websites etc.
I saw a discrepency and merely posted my experience.
The tone of this thread has now become objectional. I'm out of here.

Hi, E Daly,

I think this is one of those kerfuffles that is based on a misunderstanding. Like many others on the forum, I don’t have Brierley’s guide, but I have walked from Lisbon. Several of the posters were not sure exactly what point you were making and I think they asked those questions innocently. These guys are not trolls, I know a couple of them well. I think the whole thread would have gone very differently if you had said something at the outset like — I paid 35€ for a room that Brierley lists as 15 € or something like that.

And I will also say that, as one of the authors of the forum’s guide to the Camino Invierno, one of the hardest things to get right is prices of private accommodations. I’ve gotten a room for 25€ in places where others paid 45€ — it can vary with season, the attitude of the person at reception, whether you book online or in person, etc etc.

Hope this experience didn’t mar the delight of visiting the Convento de Cristo up above town. It is a real gem, and Tomar is a pretty nice little town as well. Bom caminho, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Are you complaining or bragging about the price you paid. I've found the CP is double the price of the CF, depending on your lodging choices.

Yes, the lodgings on the Portuguese are generally more than on the Frances. I did find a municipal or 2 that charged 5 euros, or donativo. Of course the food is better, in my opinion ;-)

Several of the posters were not sure exactly what point you were making and I think they asked those questions innocently. These guys are not trolls, I know a couple of them well. I think the whole thread would have gone very differently if you had said something at the outset like — I paid 35€ for a room that Brierley lists as 15 € or something like that.
I never thought it was an errata post. It never occurred to me to search for my old Brierley.

I found Brierley's map siting of the train station in Astorga quite confusing. It may have been corrected. Other than that, I have found his guides quite error-free except for the constantly changing route and accommodations.:)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back