• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotel recomendations in Leon

EL LECHERO

Friends no Strangers
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016 PRIMITIVO 2022 LE PUY 2023
We are starting the Camino in Astorga but need Hotel recomendations in Leon where we will arrive by train from Madrid the day before. Does not need to be fancy. But would be nice centrally located.

Thanks

Rich and COlleen

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We are starting from Leon in July and we decided on this hotel for the first night.

http://www.hospederiapax.com/EN/home.html

We are also taking the train from Madrid. Can I ask if you know where I can find some information about the train. We are thinking that we would just figure it out when we get there but still it would be nice to know something about it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Don't arrive in Leon on a Saturday without a hotel reservation, the place gets booked out. It's a lovely city and well worth a visit.

Don't arrive in Leon on a Saturday without a hotel reservation, the place gets booked out.
My plans changed just a little and I tried adding a Saturday night to my existing Leon reservation in mid-April. Yikes a lot of pilgrim priced places are sold out or their daily prices have tripled. Found a last bed available about half way between the cathedral and the train station. If I wanted to spend $$$$ there wasn't a problem...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We are starting from Leon in July and we decided on this hotel for the first night.

http://www.hospederiapax.com/EN/home.html

We are also taking the train from Madrid. Can I ask if you know where I can find some information about the train. We are thinking that we would just figure it out when we get there but still it would be nice to know something about it.

Nice spot, and you'll be right next door to the albergue. In fact, this is the more "upscale"lodging offered by the Carbajalas.

Where are you arriving in Madrid? Airport, train station, etc. The trains leave from Chamartín station, which is easily accessible by both metro and the Cercanías trains (the commuter line). It's a very short ride (about 12 minutes I think) on Cercanías from the airport. But whether the Cercanías train stop is convenient to you if you're arriving at the airport depends on whether you are on Iberia or a partner (One World Alliance). Those planes all arrive in T4, which is where the Cercanías stop is. Other planes arrive at the older T1, 2, or 3, and then you'd have to take an intra-airport bus to get over to T4. In any case, it's not hard and there are lots of trains from Madrid to León every day.

Hostal Guzman el Bueno Falcon got it right...as usual. Do make reservations!!! It is a popular stop-over.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hotel Riosol is very close to the station
and the river in Avenida de Palencia 3. The Parador has a pilgrimprice if you have a credencial.

Nice spot, and you'll be right next door to the albergue. In fact, this is the more "upscale"lodging offered by the Carbajalas.

Where are you arriving in Madrid? Airport, train station, etc. The trains leave from Chamartín station, which is easily accessible by both metro and the Cercanías trains (the commuter line). It's a very short ride (about 12 minutes I think) on Cercanías from the airport. But whether the Cercanías train stop is convenient to you if you're arriving at the airport depends on whether you are on Iberia or a partner (One World Alliance). Those planes all arrive in T4, which is where the Cercanías stop is. Other planes arrive at the older T1, 2, or 3, and then you'd have to take an intra-airport bus to get over to T4. In any case, it's not hard and there are lots of trains from Madrid to León every day.

We will arrive at T2 around 11:50 so we will have to take the airport bus to T4 and then the metro to Charmartin. I checked the Renfe site to find information about the trains to Leon and I can see that there are many departures every day. But when i set the date forward to July it comes up empty. I am thinking that they don't plan this far ahead, or maybe it has something to do with the summer-schedule not being implemented yet. I don't know....

I feel that i am kinda high-jacking this thread. I didn't mean too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We will arrive at T2 around 11:50 so we will have to take the airport bus to T4 and then the metro to Charmartin. I checked the Renfe site to find information about the trains to Leon and I can see that there are many departures every day. But when i set the date forward to July it comes up empty. I am thinking that they don't plan this far ahead, or maybe it has something to do with the summer-schedule not being implemented yet. I don't know....

I feel that i am kinda high-jacking this thread. I didn't mean too.
Why bother with the train? Just get on a bus to Leon at the airport.

@Anemone del Camino - You make that sound very easy :) is the bus trip long? The train makes it in a little over two hours. (4 if it's regional train).
6 hours or so, perfect to get over jetlag. You take it at T4 at the airport. No need to get on a cercanias train or metro. You can book your tickets on line and if you do so early enough can snag one for under 10€. Or purchase at the airport. Just look for a Madrid Barajas T4 departure.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
6 hours or so, perfect to get over jetlag. You take it at T4 at the airport. No need to get on a cercanias train or metro. You can book your tickets on line and if you do so early enough can snag one for under 10€. Or purchase at the airport. Just look for a Madrid Barajas T4 departure.

Thank you. This is good, to know but I am not sure what we will decide. ;)

We are starting the Camino in Astorga but need Hotel recomendations in Leon where we will arrive by train from Madrid the day before. Does not need to be fancy. But would be nice centrally located.

Thanks

Rich and COlleen

Check out Booking.com and maybe double check the reviews with TripAdvisor.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.