• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotel Recommendation SJPDP?

CowboyJoe

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm arriving around 9:00 p.m. the end of May in St. Jean Pied du Port.
Any recommendations on a hotel that is close in?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have always stayed at a hotel in SJPdP....
The only albergue that is listed to be open when I get there in a few weeks (13 January) is the muni.

What is the muni like? Is it the one that is connected to the Pilgrim Office. I have never really paid attention.
I thought I might try an albergue this time to see if anyone else is around in mid-winter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Grayland,

I have always stayed at the muni; you can read some of my comments here
http://mermore.blogspot.pt/2014/01/saint-jean-pied-de-port.html

Located at 55 rue de La Cutadelle during recent years first access to the muni was through the Pilgrim Office at 39 rue de La Citadelle. Recently refurbished it is open in winter and a fine simple place to stay. Madame Jeannine, the resident hospitalera, is a most special lady.

MM

Last edited:

If a hotel is what you are looking for I highly recommend Itzalpea. It is ran by a mother and daughter team who are very welcoming. Have stayed there on both my caminos. Also stayed at The Hotel Ramuntcho which is very nice too.
Buen Camino!

Before both my Camino Frances, I stayed at the Hotel Ramuntcho, #1 Rue de France, corner of Rue de la Citadelle. It is a pleasant, 10-minute walk, uphill from the train station. It is not cheap, but it is very good, centrally located, the owners are very helpful, and Caroline (Express Bourricot) will pick up you bag to sent to Santiago from the front desk.

I heartily recommend that starting pilgrims spend a day or two here. St. Jean is a beautiful French town and worthy of a separate touristic visit. So, why not start out in a relaxed manner? Check it out.

Here are the web sites:

Hotel Ramuntcho - http://hotel-ramuntcho.com/en

Express Bourricot - http://www.expressbourricot.com/en/

Refuge Orisson - http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/

NOTE: Orisson is 8 Km UP on the first day walking from St. Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles. MANY people, including myself, like to break up the 26 Km first stage by staying here. It is a steep walk and takes about three-hours. However, I think this is about 80 percent of the first-stage vertical climb, before leveling out then descending into Spain and Roncesvalles. Staying here is a good way to break up the "OMG what have I done!" aspect of the first day's walk.

If you do decide to stay there, contact them as soon as you have your dates, to arrange a reservation via e-mail. They only handle reservations that way, with advance payment by PayPal if I recall. They typically sell out in advance. The facilities are "basic albergue," but clean, neat and very friendly. While they are not open until March, they do receive their e-mail. They will queue requests in order received and honor them once they start confirming reservations as their March opening arrives. Be patient. They WILL reply, eventually.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If a hotel is what you are looking for I highly recommend Itzalpea. It is ran by a mother and daughter team who are very welcoming. Have stayed there on both my caminos. Also stayed at The Hotel Ramuntcho which is very nice too.
Buen Camino!

I also used the Hotel Ramuntcho for 2 nights April this year. It was very good and right on the Camino. Well 20 metres from it!

I would like to suggest Beilari, however it does require a reservation. It is almost directly across from the Pilgrim office. They serve a delicious Pilgrim dinner; a wonderful way to meet fellow pilgrims starting out. Miss Ditz here, still does not know how to include a link. Hoping someone can help. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would like to suggest Beilari, however it does require a reservation. ... . Miss Ditz here, still does not know how to include a link. Hoping someone can help. Buen Camino.

Glad to help http://www.beilari.info/en To insert a link just copy and paste the url from your browser and the forum software converts it automatically into a clickable link. Buen Camino, SY

For a real treat and great R&R try Maison Dona Maria , 1 block from the gate and 1 block from the Way . Spent two days in 2014 before our Camino ... Excellent a
http://www.donamaria.fr/pages/maison_gb.php

DeadFred--I just check it and besides your praise it hits the ball out of the park on Trip Advisor as well. Thanks to you, I just made a reservations inquiry! You say that you spent two days there…if I could ask a question, please. I arrive around 9:00 p.m. in the evening in late May from a long flight from the USA-London-Biarritz. Option A is to hit the road to Roncesvalles the next day. Downside is I may still be recovering from jet lag and would have no time to see SJPDP. Option B is to sleep in a little, see some of SJPDP and leave SJPDP between 12:00-2:00 p.m. or so and overnight in Orisson, then go to Roncesvalles the next day. Having done the Camino before, do you have any advice? Many thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Option A is to hit the road to Roncesvalles the next day. Downside is I may still be recovering from jet lag and would have no time to see SJPDP. Option B is to sleep in a little, see some of SJPDP and leave SJPDP between 12:00-2:00 p.m. or so and overnight in Orisson, then go to Roncesvalles the next day.
Option A would be too pressured for me. Jet lag can be very significant. Arriving at 9 pm, exhausted but excited, and having a strenuous hike the next day, would be too much.
Option B would be better. But remember that Orisson does not have private rooms and you may still need a second night of good sleep to adjust.
Option C (which was my choice in October) would be to stay overnight in Bayonne (there are hotels right by the train station), sleep in a bit, then make your way to SJPP in the middle of the day, sightsee in SJPP, and go to Orisson or even Roncesvalles on the following day.

Option A would be too pressured for me. Jet lag can be very significant. Arriving at 9 pm, exhausted but excited, and having a strenuous hike the next day, would be too much.
Option B would be better. But remember that Orisson does not have private rooms and you may still need a second night of good sleep to adjust.
Option C (which was my choice in October) would be to stay overnight in Bayonne (there are hotels right by the train station), sleep in a bit, then make your way to SJPP in the middle of the day, sightsee in SJPP, and go to Orisson or even Roncesvalles on the following day.
Cclearly, your right; Beilari is not a hotel; what was I thinking? Guess it's because my wonderful memories there with folks, are imbedded in me. Of course, a hotel would be much more suited. I agree with totally. I like your option B.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I like options! Thanks for giving me another one to mull over!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That is my plan for April 1st,2016, I want acclimation time & to see SJPP

DeadFred--I just check it and besides your praise it hits the ball out of the park on Trip Advisor as well. Thanks to you, I just made a reservations inquiry! You say that you spent two days there…if I could ask a question, please. I arrive around 9:00 p.m. in the evening in late May from a long flight from the USA-London-Biarritz. Option A is to hit the road to Roncesvalles the next day. Downside is I may still be recovering from jet lag and would have no time to see SJPDP. Option B is to sleep in a little, see some of SJPDP and leave SJPDP between 12:00-2:00 p.m. or so and overnight in Orisson, then go to Roncesvalles the next day. Having done the Camino before, do you have any advice? Many thanks!

That's Great! I agree with C Cleary Joe , That's exactly what Laurie & I did ., Arkansas > Chicago > Madrid > St Jean kicked our butts . We slept in , roamed around town, visited the Pilgrims office , met some nice folks we met on this forum for dinner , sorted out whatever needed sorted out then headed for Orisson in the morning . I would never pass up Orisson ..to good of an experience and gives you a chance to meet other nice folks

Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port has a population of less than 2000 inhabitants, everything is close in ;). There are no modern type of chain hotels.

Itzalpea is more a B&B than a hotel but other than that I second you. I stayed there with a few people and we all liked it. Be aware that some rooms have roof windows only; nobody in our group had a problem with it but apparently some people don't like this. You can specify the room when you book. It's just outside the old city wall. No noise from the road at night - there seems to be little traffic.

Yes!

Yes sorry. You are right. I call anything not an alburgue a hotel! I think it just feels like one after a long day! lol.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've booked into the Gite Azkorria. It has good reviews on TripAdvisor and I have my A level French to fall back on as the owners lack of any other language is highlighted as an issue on some of the reviews. Price is about £22 dependent on the exchange rate.
It has a couple of poor reviews from people who obviously have an axe to grind but all other reviewers give it a four or five blob rating!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Hotel Ramuntcho treated me very well, and the owner knew enough English to help me since I knew no French. Beautiful view of the street.

I just booked online to stay at Albergue Ultreia on May 4th. It's a private albergue that looks, in the pictures anyway, to be simple, clean and airy. It's close in, too. 16 Euros.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I stayed at Maison Donamaria B&B (Jean-Francois Rabeux) about 60 Euros/night with breakfast and I was treated wonderfully by the owner whom has an Irish girlfriend and speaks excellent English...also it is not too close to town which is full of tourist during the day and Pilgrims partying until late in the night...and note that any sound travels well between the stone building in town...also if it is miserable hot there is a swimming pool to cool off but it is also near the river so there is some water noise and occasional children playing in the water.

With www.resa-camino.com/en , You can know exactly which accommodations are opened and to reserve directly via the site. Attention the winter, many are closed! the accomodation it's free

I think you mean that your service is free, not the accommodation itself. SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back