• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotel recommendations in larger cities

Ladydigs

Time of past OR future Camino
I've searched the forums but can't quite find what I'm looking for so I apologize if there's been a discussion about this. I'm starting in April this year and I'm looking for budget friendly hotels for 2 people in Pamplona, Leon, and Burgos. I have seen lots of discussion for Santiago de Compostela so I think I'm good for there.
Edited to add: I think under $100 would be budget-friendly. Sorry I didn't define this originally.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It might help if you defined "budget friendly". My personal concept is under 100 Euros per night. Meson El Cid in Burgos is lovely, across the plaza from the Cathedral and regularly has deals for under 75 per night. Infantes de Leon in Leon is a few blocks from the Cathedral and around the same price.

When looking for hotels/posadas/pensiones I checked booking.com or just google maps and looked at nearby hotels. It's time consuming to check each hotel for the dates you're considering, but it works.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I always check Gronze.com to see what's close to the Camino. Gronze has links to booking.com for those properties that are on that platform, and they also have contact information to get in touch directly.

I've searched the forums but can't quite find what I'm looking for so I apologize if there's been a discussion about this. I'm starting in April this year and I'm looking for budget friendly hotels for 2 people in Pamplona, Leon, and Burgos. I have seen lots of discussion for Santiago de Compostela so I think I'm good for there.
Hospedería Monástica Pax Leon looks good.

I stayed in Hotel Real Colegiata San Isidoro 2018 which was fantastic, great breakfast with the remaining monks, special pilgrims mass in monastery, was not expensive at time but I think it has changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Happy to provide some suggestions if you can provide a rough nightly 'budget'.
As it can range from Euro 25 - 100+

I see you added 'under $100' Let's call that Euro 100.

You'll find all these on booking dot com

Pamplona. I have used Sercotel Europa. Great location, nice buffet breakfast.
Leon.
Hotel Spa QH Centro León, great location very close to Cathedral
And something a bit different. Hospedería Monástica Pax, a working convent + Hotel
Burgos. I like Hotel Norte y Londres. Nice place and location, right on the Camino.

Last edited:
Happy to provide some suggestions if you can provide a rough nightly 'budget'.
As it can range from Euro 25 - 100+

I see you added 'under $100' Let's call that Euro 100.

You'll find all these on booking dot com

Pamplona. I have used Sercotel Europa. Great location, nice buffet breakfast.
Leon.
Hotel Spa QH Centro León, great location very close to Cathedral
And something a bit different. Hospedería Monástica Pax, a working convent + Hotel
Burgos. I like Hotel Norte y Londres. Nice place and location, right on the Camino.
Thanks for these. I've probably watched most of your Youtube videos and found them very helpful! Thanks for those!

Hospedería Monástica Pax Leon looks good.

I stayed in Hotel Real Colegiata San Isidoro 2018 which was fantastic, great breakfast with the remaining monks, special pilgrims mass in monastery, was not expensive at time but I think it has changed.
Thanks! I'll check it out!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I always check Gronze.com to see what's close to the Camino. Gronze has links to booking.com for those properties that are on that platform, and they also have contact information to get in touch directly.

I have done some of that but I thought I'd still ask for personal recommendations.

Forum members often have their favourites, but I always research hotels on Tripadvisor or hotel booking sites. Those sites are organized specifically to allow comparisons, reviews, etc.
True, but that's what I wanted was experienced pilgrims' recommendations. I hadn't really thought about checking Tripadvisor, so thanks for that suggestion!

It might help if you defined "budget friendly". My personal concept is under 100 Euros per night. Meson El Cid in Burgos is lovely, across the plaza from the Cathedral and regularly has deals for under 75 per night. Infantes de Leon in Leon is a few blocks from the Cathedral and around the same price.

When looking for hotels/posadas/pensiones I checked booking.com or just google maps and looked at nearby hotels. It's time consuming to check each hotel for the dates you're considering, but it works.
I went back and edited my post to say $100 to define budget-friendly. Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Edited to add: I think under $100 would be budget-friendly. Sorry I didn't define this originally.
Last summer I used the Wise Pilgrim app for the Frances, the accomodations link would connect to booking.com which would list more properties for city that you could search by price, also there were some you could go directly to hotel's website. With the exception of Santiago most places were reasonably affordable. I was booking for just me, but most of the rooms were doubles or triples. The other guidebooks also have non-albergue listings.

I can also recommend Monástica PAX in Leon.

In Burgos we did something a bit out of the ordinary. After getting past the airport on the marked camino it heads into the city center on a busy road. The hotel Buenos Aires is right at that turn. A bit dated but fine. Has a restaurant and also a cafe with outdoor seating right at the first bus stop into the city. There are several other nearby hotels with bus stops also.

We used the bus that travels the same route as the camino (awful walk, terrible scenery) to do errands in town the first afternoon and the next day for touring. Then we walked the camino backwards past the airport (but not over the highway overpass) to continue to Santiago using the Burgos River Walk variant to avoid walking that nasty stretch we already saw four times before.

Use this string to view on Google Maps:
Hotel Restaurante Buenos Aires, C. Vitoria, 349, 09192 Burgos, Spain

I stayed for two nights in all of those towns and booked an AirBnB apartment in all. Cheaper than most hotels and all were beautiful. Plus, you get a full kitchen and I made sure to book those with washing machines so I could do my laundry the first night and it was all dry before the second night (some had outdoor clotheslines and others had drying racks I used inside).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I check Gronze when I'm not taking a group, and I use booking.com as well.
I know some folks don't like booking.com but so far, no problems and I've been using them for many years.
Though I LOVE Monastica Pax in Leon. Hostal Alvarez. Principia Suites. Aparthotel FC Catedral. Inn Boutique Leon.
In Pamplona, I like Hostal Bearan. In Old Town and not too expensive. Bar/restaurant below. There is a good cheap twin room at Albergue de Pamplona-Iruñako. Aloha Hostal is good. If you don't 'mind staying a bit out of Old Town (maybe 1.5 k) Alojamientos Olga is quite nice and a short walk back to Old Town. There are restaurants close by.
In Burgos, Hotel Norte y Londres is good. Hostal Cuentame Evolucion is good. Pension Boutique Doña Urraca is good. Boutique Museu Burgos.
In Leon, I also stay at Monastica Pax but there ARE other choices.
Have you thought about renting an apartment? Sometimes they're less expensive and you have a washing machine, kitchen, and in the end, they're a good value.

Pay attention to how far they are from Old Town when you book.
Also be sure to book lodgings with free cancellation.
Good luck

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

In Burgos we did something a bit out of the ordinary. After getting past the airport on the marked camino it heads into the city center on a busy road. The hotel Buenos Aires is right at that turn. A bit dated but fine. Has a restaurant and also a cafe with outdoor seating right at the first bus stop into the city. There are several other nearby hotels with bus stops also.

We used the bus that travels the same route as the camino (awful walk, terrible scenery) to do errands in town the first afternoon and the next day for touring. Then we walked the camino backwards past the airport (but not over the highway overpass) to continue to Santiago using the Burgos River Walk variant to avoid walking that nasty stretch we already saw four times before.

Thanks for that tip!

I stayed for two nights in all of those towns and booked an AirBnB apartment in all. Cheaper than most hotels and all were beautiful. Plus, you get a full kitchen and I made sure to book those with washing machines so I could do my laundry the first night and it was all dry before the second night (some had outdoor clotheslines and others had drying racks I used inside).
Great idea! Good to know! Thanks so much? Were they close to the city center so you could see the sites?

I check Gronze when I'm not taking a group, and I use booking.com as well.
I know some folks don't like booking.com but so far, no problems and I've been using them for many years.
Though I LOVE Monastica Pax in Leon. Hostal Alvarez. Principia Suites. Aparthotel FC Catedral. Inn Boutique Leon.
In Pamplona, I like Hostal Bearan. In Old Town and not too expensive. Bar/restaurant below. There is a good cheap twin room at Albergue de Pamplona-Iruñako. Aloha Hostal is good. If you don't 'mind staying a bit out of Old Town (maybe 1.5 k) Alojamientos Olga is quite nice and a short walk back to Old Town. There are restaurants close by.
In Burgos, Hotel Norte y Londres is good. Hostal Cuentame Evolucion is good. Pension Boutique Doña Urraca is good. Boutique Museu Burgos.
In Leon, I also stay at Monastica Pax but there ARE other choices.
Have you thought about renting an apartment? Sometimes they're less expensive and you have a washing machine, kitchen, and in the end, they're a good value.

Pay attention to how far they are from Old Town when you book.
Also be sure to book lodgings with free cancellation.
Good luck
Wonderful! Thank you! And yes I’ve rented an apartment for us in St. Jean to recover from travel before we start walking. Not much more money than an albergue.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last edited:

Meh. I just complemented Ladydigs for your info. Thanks, Ladydigs for the piggyback. And sorry ‘bout that to y’all, Rick of Rick and Peg. Rookie error. Good information🤙🏽

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Meh. I just complemented Ladydigs for your info. Thanks, Ladydigs for the piggyback. And sorry ‘bout that to y’all, Rick of Rick and Peg. Rookie error. Good information🤙🏽
My apologies for making you read an additional eight words. +11
A sincere apology this time. I wake up very early and so at 7 PM my mind starts becoming worthless and I force myself to stop posting. It looks like I should set that time to be earlier. I read @Goyo's post as a dig for posting the recommendation of Monástica PAX after it had already been mentioned before and Rookie error was directed at me. It makes sense now.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A sincere apology this time. I wake up very early and so at 7 PM my mind starts becoming worthless and I force myself to stop posting. It looks like I should set that time to be earlier. I read @Goyo's post as a dig for posting the recommendation of Monástica PAX after it had already been mentioned before and Rookie error was directed at me. It makes sense now.
It happens to the best of us. My morning routine involves logging onto the forum and apologising for whatever I posted late the previous night.

Ha, ha! As Poirot once said, “I cast not the aspersions”. I was really apologizing to you for my error of responding to Ladydigs instead of you. No worries, brah. It’s all good. No doubt, the rookie soy yo.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back