• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Hotel recommendations in Madrid

Mary N

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2016
Hi everyone. Are there any recommendations for hotels in Madrid close to the train station that will take us to Villafranca del Bierzo. We are doing a 10-day pilgrimage and plan to start there. Thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi everyone. Are there any recommendations for hotels in Madrid close to the train station that will take us to Villafranca del Bierzo. We are doing a 10-day pilgrimage and plan to start there. Thank you!

Hi Mary N,

I don't know about hotels in Madrid, but I just did the same ride from Madrid to Villafranca. I don't think there is a train, but instead we took the Alsa bus. The cost was about 30 euros, and the ride took almost six hours but was more or less comfortable.

I booked in Villafranca the Albergue De la Piedra, and it was good. I can recommend it!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Check out Urban Sea Atocha 113, just a 7 minute walk from the Atocha Station in Madrid, 10-15 minute walk from the Plaza Mayor. Simple, basic, clean, reasonably priced, safe, friendly English-speaking staff. I've stayed there about a half-dozen times going in and out of Spain over the past five years, and always look forward my stay there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Are there any recommendations for hotels in Madrid close to the train station that will take us to Villafranca del Bierzo.

There isn't train service to Villafranca del Bierzo. The closest place that you can reach by direct train from Madrid is Ponferrada. Trains to Ponferrada depart from Chamartín train station. I can't recommend an accommodation close to Chamartín train station but I know there's a 4 star hotel in the train station itself and there's nearby a 3 star hotel so you may look for info (reviews...) about them online if that sort of accommodation was within your budget.

Back