• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotel/Refugio open late?

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria-SC ('08) C.Frances ('11/'12) C.Norte ('13/'17) C.Portugues & Kerry C.('18)
Evening all,
I've just gone mad and booked a flight for tomorrow evening; arriving at Porto airport at 22.30. I'm hoping to book accommodation near the camino, so I'm ready to go on Thursday morning. From previous experience I assume anywhere near the cathedral should be fine? I'm happy walking alone, but for safety I'd prefer other pilgrims to be close by!

Thanks in advance!

Just need to start reading now and figure out the portuguese for buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Evening all,
I've just gone mad and booked a flight for tomorrow evening; arriving at Porto airport at 22.30. I'm hoping to book accommodation near the camino, so I'm ready to go on Thursday morning. From previous experience I assume anywhere near the cathedral should be fine? I'm happy walking alone, but for safety I'd prefer other pilgrims to be close by!

Thanks in advance!

Google it! Ok, it sounds like bom camino but has an h! Well done, but maybe if you have time you could do a search for hotels in the city... just so you can be sure of a safe bed for first night, given your late arrival. Have a wonderful Camino, and do post something on the way...

The CP seems to have become much more frequented since I walked it in 2009... I started from a hotel in Porto (can’t remember which) - I walked solo, stayed in albergues arriving late in the day, and never met or saw another pilgrim until I got to Tui! And that was in summer!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you! Done - I booked somewhere near the cathedral and now I'm just doing a quick scan of posts here, the Brierley Guide, packing and checking in for my flight! Just some jitters now, but once I'm on my way - the way! - I'll be fine! I'll definitely post something this time!

Thanks LGLG. I'd a few uncomfortable experiences last year on the Northern Camino (flashers!) and a few other odd experiences, which have made me a bit wary. It's heartening to hear that you had a positive experience!

It's "Bom Caminho", pronounced "Bon Cameenyo" ;)

Alsoo good to know:
Por Favor (please)
Obrigada (Thank you)
Vinho do Porto ('veenyo do porto' = Port wine)

This route is amazing, enjoy! :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks LGLG. I'd a few uncomfortable experiences last year on the Northern Camino (flashers!) and a few other odd experiences, which have made me a bit wary. It's heartening to hear that you had a positive experience!
To be honest, unfortunately I also landed up in an awkward encounter (As I posted in another Portuguese thread ) . I came out fine also and it wouldn't stop me walking alone again. But if you can find a balance between going solo and have some other pilgrims nearby - or even just at call - I believe it would be preferable. Bom caminho.

I just had 13 fantastic days on the coastal route and never had any unpleasant issues. I met numerous Pilgrims as groups or solo and the same for them. I’m sure safety in numbers works well for here. Noted I felt there were many more females on the trail than usual. Make a friend and enjoy yourself.
Buon Caminho

Evening all,

Thanks in advance!

“Buen caminho” spelled differently but pronounciation is basically the same.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, lass, determined and all as you say you are, I have been thinking of you as you made your way to Porto. Hope you found your way to hotel, and I wish you all the best as you set off in the morning.

Thank you for all your help - on my to Tui today. I'm looking forward to the end of all the cobblestones! It's a lovely Camino with a very kind vibe. Plenty of people around - both pilgrims and non-pilgrims, So it feels safe!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for all your help - on my to Tui today. I'm looking forward to the end of all the cobblestones! It's a lovely Camino with a very kind vibe. Plenty of people around - both pilgrims and non-pilgrims, So it feels safe!
Curious, did you walk out of Porto or take a metro? Thinking about repeating this way.

Thank you for all your help - on my to Tui today. I'm looking forward to the end of all the cobblestones! It's a lovely Camino with a very kind vibe.

There will be waaaayy less road and cobblestones once you croos to Spain, Lass! :)
Only on the last day towards Santiago you may find some road again, but Galicia is a bliss. Good to hear you are enjoying it!

I almost kissed the ground when I crossed into Spain and saw the difference in the paths - Thank goodness for tarmac!

I took the metro to Vilar de Condar and then walked to Marinhas, as I only have 10 days (had to postpone my arrival by a few days due to a broken nose)

Having a lovely time- the rhythm of the Camino is bringing me closer to Santiago!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So far, so good. Ouch! The thought of a broken nose, how painful!!! At least you don’t need to walk on it... sorry, couldn’t resist. Every step, the nearer you are. So, go Lassie, go!

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back