• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotel rooms rather than hostels?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Swee, I can give you the names of some places where we stayed if that's what you're looking for.
Hi Johan, that would be very helpful if you could give us names of places that you have stayed. Did you use a company to transfer your bags from town to town or did u carry your own bag. Do you know where I can get some tips on what to pack if we don't use a service to transfer our bags and have to carry everything ourselves. Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One thing not mentioned so far is the drying of your clothes. If you wash your clothes in a hotel room you have to hang them up in the bathroom where they may or may not dry by morning. In an albergue they will be hanging in the sun and dry quickly.

One thing not mentioned so far is the drying of your clothes. If you wash your clothes in a hotel room you have to hang them up in the bathroom where they may or may not dry by morning. In an albergue they will be hanging in the sun and dry quickly.
We solved that problem with a couple of things. After letting the clothes drip for a few minutes above the tub, we squeezed out what water that we could, rolled them up in the towel and wrung them. After that, we used a length of paracord and binder clips to hang the clothes up. Sometimes is was in the window getting sun, sometimes in front of a open window, sometime even out back of the hotel. Only once on our last trip were the clothes still too damp to wear in the morning.

A lot of hotels have heated drying racks which can be really effective. Hairdryers can be handy too. Also, most places we stayed in had access to open windows and balconies which were ideal for drying clothes (when and if we didn't go find a laundry mat in bigger towns, or use the washer & dryer in an albuergue).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, I've done the roll up the clothes in towels and hair dryer routines. They work, just not is simple as hanging the clothes in the sun.

I just finished The Camino last week and I made a decision after the first day that I would only stay in private accomodation. Some people along the way gave me slack and said I was not a real pilgrim but they are not a real pilgrim because they spend all their time criticising others. There is no right or wrong way. I walked all the way and carried my pack on my back.

The reason why I did it was because I have a severe allergy to bed bugs. It can be so bad that I would need the hospital. As money was not an issue for me, I decided to stay only in hotels or small pensiones. Whenever I could, I even stayed in a 3 Star Hotel.

It is so much more comfortable and the privacy you get is so welcome after walking 25 to 30kms a day, day in day out. I never took a rest day because I never needed to. I always had a nice bed to sleep in, private shower and toilet or sometimes I shared but I did not have to put up with snoring, farting, sex in the dormitories, horrible toilets with no seats, showers that did not have hot water, showers that had no doors and finally, bed bugs. I know all of this because others along the way told me what I had missed, saying it with so much pride. Well, I am so glad I didnt have to add all of these to my Camino experience.

I was always rested, could wash my clothes and I was clean and ready for my walk the next day. I would highly recommend it to anyone if money is not an issue. It is not expensive anyway as I paid between 30 e to 60 e per day for accomodation. If you had a friend to share with, you could cut the cost by half. I always found/convinced walkers to share with me. Almost all of them never went back to an albergue afterwards ;-).

Can you please send me the names of the notes you stayed in from Triacastella to Santiago.
Thank you
Jjf

Where can I get the names of hotels from Triacastella to Santiago please. Thank you
I need to complete my Brothers Camino. He died in 2013 in Triacastella so that is where I want to start and finish in Santiago.
I have diabetes and asthma so I need good clean accommodation with private shower and toilet.
My intentions are honourable and humble. Please dont judge me.
It is something I must complete
Thank you

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Where can I get the names of hotels from Triacastella to Santiago please. Thank you
I need to complete my Brothers Camino. He died in 2013 in Triacastella so that is where I want to start and finish in Santiago.
I have diabetes and asthma so I need good clean accommodation with private shower and toilet.
Thank you

Go to www.booking.com and type in the names of the villages where you want to stay. You'll see many choices. Depending on when you're walking, you may want to make reservations soon.

Can you please send me the names of the notes you stayed in from Triacastella to Santiago.

The problem with using booking sites is, that they will typically not say how far from the Camino the hotels are situated.

From Triacastela onwards I stayed in the following places, all with private bathrooms. Except for one they are all very close to the route:

Triacastela: Casa David. Travesía Baltasar 2. Nice, clean and comfortable rooms.

Sarria: Hotel Mar de Plata. Calle Formigueiros 5. Ok hotel, quite big, in a boring side street. But then Sarria is boring.

Portomarin: Pension Arenas. Plaza Conde de Fenosa 5. Ok rooms; average standard.

Palas de Rei: Casa Blanco. Lugar de Sambreixo. This very nice casa rural is situated about 5 km. outside of Palas de Rei and quite isolated. Very nice food (but a bit pricy). If you call in advance you will be picked up at the city hall (ayuntamiento) in Palas de Rei.

Arzúa: Pension Rua. Rúa Lugo 130. Actually not a very fancy place, but with own bathroom and ok for a single night.

A Rúa/O Pedrouzo: O Acrivo, A rua: Ok rooms almost like a small suite. Swimming pool. A little isolated so best option is to have dinner at the hotel; food average.

In Santiago there are tons of options. I stayed some days in Hotel San Miguel, Plaza San Miguel Dos Agros 9. Very nice hotel located centrally but quietly with a very good breakfast buffet.

Thank you
If you check the Gronze site they give a list of accommodation for each place along the stages.Contact information and whether it is bookable. Everything from the small albergues to the bigger hotels and a price guide.
Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The problem with using booking sites is, that they will typically not say how far from the Camino the hotels are situated.

From Triacastela onwards I stayed in the following places, all with private bathrooms. Except for one they are all very close to the route:

Triacastela: Casa David. Travesía Baltasar 2. Nice, clean and comfortable rooms.

Sarria: Hotel Mar de Plata. Calle Formigueiros 5. Ok hotel, quite big, in a boring side street. But then Sarria is boring.

Portomarin: Pension Arenas. Plaza Conde de Fenosa 5. Ok rooms; average standard.

Palas de Rei: Casa Blanco. Lugar de Sambreixo. This very nice casa rural is situated about 5 km. outside of Palas de Rei and quite isolated. Very nice food (but a bit pricy). If you call in advance you will be picked up at the city hall (ayuntamiento) in Palas de Rei.

Arzúa: Pension Rua. Rúa Lugo 130. Actually not a very fancy place, but with own bathroom and ok for a single night.

A Rúa/O Pedrouzo: O Acrivo, A rua: Ok rooms almost like a small suite. Swimming pool. A little isolated so best option is to have dinner at the hotel; food average.

In Santiago there are tons of options. I stayed some days in Hotel San Miguel, Plaza San Miguel Dos Agros 9. Very nice hotel located centrally but quietly with a very good breakfast buffet.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
they will typically not say how far from the Camino the hotels are situated.

"Reviews" of the property on Booking .com etc normally mention the proximity of the Camino if people have stayed.

Brierly's stages we try to avoid

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I personally think Life is about choices:You choose this or that,You choose to be a Pilgrim or not,You chooce to use Albergues or not,You chooce to enjoy the Camino your way.Is it so difficult to allow each human being a place in the Sun.I am just asking about the true meaning of Life? Buen Camino God bless.Johann Pretorius from South Africa

Wasn’t it supposed to be a pennance?

Mmiguel (aka Leon de Flandes)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back