Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Hotel Vilaseco between Chantada and Rodeiro

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
I haven't posted "Live" reports from my current walk on the Invierno. I just can't organize my impressions coherently while I'm walking, but will try to do so later.

I just wanted to comment for anybody walking soon, about some good options. Last night I stayed at Torre Vilariño where Susana is over-the-top with hospitality. The nearby Museo Etnografico was great. Today I walked by Diomondi - it was closed, being morning, but there is a number posted if you want to stay.

The walk DOWN to Belesar and then UP to Chantada was hard but interesting. I had a bite to eat in Chantada and then walked 8 km or so to the Hotel Vilaseco. There is a separate pilgrim wing (for about 30 people) in this 3-year-old facility. (They opened just before Covid!)

I would have been intimidated if I hadn't called earlier, because nobody was in the modern reception, there was only 1 car in the big parking area, and the place looked dead. I wandered outside and the guy operating some machinery saw me and came over. He was Manuel, a one man band, who checked me in, went back out to do the work he was doing, and was back in the dining room to serve my dinner at 8.
I am alone and have just been served an excellent 3-course meal.

Consider staying here. Just call Manuel at 982 587 160. He speaks functional English and is very welcoming. We had a long discussion about the Camino de Invierno.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The walk DOWN to Belesar and then UP to Chantada was hard but interesting.
I think for me, that relatively short climb out of the Miño valley on those giant granite cobbles, relatively short as it was, stands out as the toughest climb on the Invierno. I remember thinking, it would be impossible, I can't even imagine doing it in the rain, you would need to be on all fours!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
With the Diamondi albergue open, it is a good distance for the next stage to end at Hotel Vilaseca,, setting one up for the walk to Rodeiro. That's for me tomorrow!
With the Diamondi albergue open, it is a good distance for the next stage to end at Hotel Vilaseca,, setting one up for the walk to Rodeiro. That's for me tomorrow!
Looking forward to more of your story when you have time and inclination

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I stayed in Hotel Vilaseco too on my walk earlier this month- found Manuel and his father very charming, and it was a great location making the walk to Rodeiro a bit shorter the next day. I hope they get more pilgrims coming through!

I hope you get sunshine (but not heat) for your climb!

I'm at Diamondi right now all by myself and will be in hotel vilaseco hopefully tomorrow. Have not seen any pilgrim for the last 3 days but enjoying the peace and birds songs .Here in Diomondi,if you want to eat out to a nearby restaurant/canteen they can arrange transport for you.Buen Camino!

I'm at Diamondi right now all by myself and will be in hotel vilaseco hopefully tomorrow
Good to hear! The next day's walk up to Monte Faro and Rodeiro is not as bad as I feared. I'm in Rodeiro now. There are at least 6 other pilgrims in town - all Spanish men. I have become friends with a group of 3, who like the same distances as I do (20 km).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I haven't posted "Live" reports from my current walk on the Invierno. I just can't organize my impressions coherently while I'm walking, but will try to do so later.

I just wanted to comment for anybody walking soon, about some good options. Last night I stayed at Torre Vilariño where Susana is over-the-top with hospitality. The nearby Museo Etnografico was great. Today I walked by Diomondi - it was closed, being morning, but there is a number posted if you want to stay.

The walk DOWN to Belesar and then UP to Chantada was hard but interesting. I had a bite to eat in Chantada and then walked 8 km or so to the Hotel Vilaseco. There is a separate pilgrim wing (for about 30 people) in this 3-year-old facility. (They opened just before Covid!)

I would have been intimidated if I hadn't called earlier, because nobody was in the modern reception, there was only 1 car in the big parking area, and the place looked dead. I wandered outside and the guy operating some machinery saw me and came over. He was Manuel, a one man band, who checked me in, went back out to do the work he was doing, and was back in the dining room to serve my dinner at 8.
I am alone and have just been served an excellent 3-course meal.

Consider staying here. Just call Manuel at 982 587 160. He speaks functional English and is very welcoming. We had a long discussion about the Camino de Invierno.
Last October, I did this exact couple of days. Torre Vilarino was awesome! The climb down to the river was tough but some locals gave me fresh figs which helped on the climb up by the winery where I was offered a taste of wine, but settled for a stamp! I had a great personal sized fresh tortilla when I arrived in Chantada before going on to Vilaseco. I was the only one there but Manuel was very gracious. I stayed in a private room but saw the beautiful albergue section which was very inviting. At dinner he was willing to cook whatever I wanted but I was very happy with the beautiful salad he served. We also had a very lively conversation. I highly recommend both places.

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1: Ponferrada to Villavieja As usual, life has a habit of changing plans so we found ourselves on the Invierno a month later than expected. Regardless though, we are happy to finally get...
If I leave Ponferrada early enough to arrive in Villavieja and spend some time at the castle Cornatel, can I leave the next day, spend some meaningful time beholding las Medulas and Orellan, and...
Hi all - a question for all you Invierno experts: We are starting the Invierno (finally!) tomorrow, but there’s a slight issue with our plan. My partner needs to be present for a work Zoom...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back