• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotels, Bed & Breakfasts on Camino Frances

johnsondav

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2014
We will be walking the Camino from May 25 through June 14 starting in Leon. I read a great deal about the Alburques along the route, but I am wondering if there are ample other facilities available in most of the towns? We will probably stay in Alberques a few nights, but we are hoping to stay in some more private places. We are fortunate to be able to afford the other facilities and would hate to take up beds in the Alberques for those who are on a more limited budget. Not knowing our exact schedule every day we don't want to have to make reservations so I'm just wondering about availability. Any thoughts?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is plenty private accomodation along the Camino in the form of private albergues, b+b style, hostals (small hotels) and more up market hotels. Many of the private albergues have single and double rooms so you have the privacy but also the interaction with other pilgrims in the evening which is a big part of the Camino for most people. I have only reserved ahead on a few occasions towards the end section. I am sure you will find what suits you.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

You shouldn't have any issues, very few are willing to cough up the funds to stay at Hostals/Casa Rurals/Hotels, they'd rather walk/bus/taxi on to the next town with available albergues.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We chose to use non-albergue accomodations in Sept/Oct this year and it was straightforward and simple with great choices in all areas. Check out mundicamino.com
We didn't follow brierley stages as we didn't have the book. If we did have it, we likely would have missed out on our most magical evening in Samos.
We booked the first few days before we left. Once we figured out all was going to be fine, we ended up emailing or calling ahead to most of them so there were no issues.
Only once, in Belarado, the b&b gave our confirmed reservation to someone else.....the world didn't end and all was good!!
The prices were generally very reasonable and we were pleased with having private rooms, bathrooms, and good sleeps.....only keeping each other awake with our snoring etc. :)

We didn't follow brierley stages as we didn't have the book. If we did have it, we likely would have missed out on our most magical evening in Samos.
Brierley's primary route is through Samos, though the end stage is Sarria. I prefer Fonfria to Triacastela, so the stage to Samos is an excellent length for me. Several of the European guidebooks have chosen the direct to Sarria path as standard; shorter, nice, and a good stage length from Triacastela, but too long for me from Fonfria.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
johnsondav-- I have attached a file that someone else put together and kindly shared in this forum which lists lodging options (including albergues) in almost every town on the French Way from SJPDP to Santiago. A couple of months ago I saw a "data mining" effort to update, so there may be an even more recent version of this list. It is a good start though. Much like Canuck, I spare many of my snoring and also save through the year so that I have a choice of lodging when walking the Camino (I walk every year a section of the Camino). I will be glad to offer recommendations if so needed. Buen Camino!

Attachments

• Albergues_Camino_Frances_2012.pdf
    697.1 KB · Views: 65
Brierley's primary route is through Samos, though the end stage is Sarria. I prefer Fonfria to Triacastela, so the stage to Samos is an excellent length for me. Several of the European guidebooks have chosen the direct to Sarria path as standard; shorter, nice, and a good stage length from Triacastela, but too long for me from Fonfria.
Ah, ok I didn't know that. Everyone we knew took the short route so I assumed this was a Brierley thing. I guess it was more of a case of people choosing to go the shorter route because they had the information at hand. We, admittedly, may have chosen the short way if we were aware of it......glad we weren't!!!!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
johnsondav-- I have attached a file that someone else put together and kindly shared in this forum which lists lodging options (including albergues) in almost every town on the French Way from SJPDP to Santiago. A couple of months ago I saw a "data mining" effort to update, so there may be an even more recent version of this list. It is a good start though. Much like Canuck, I spare many of my snoring and also save through the year so that I have a choice of lodging when walking the Camino (I walk every year a section of the Camino). I will be glad to offer recommendations if so needed. Buen Camino!

Thanks!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back