• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotels vs Albergues

Time of past OR future Camino
March, 2017
I know this forum topic already exists here somewhere and it may be outdated but I wanted to bring it up again since I recently completed the Camino with my partner, staying exclusively in hotels. My question for peregrinos is what they think the advantages and disadvantages are of avoiding albergues? In my case, I'm married and in my mid-forties. While I was open to the idea of staying, at least occasionally, in an albergue, my wife had zero intentions, especially after peeping her head into some along the way. And I figured, since this was potentially a once in a lifetime trip budget was not going to be a major issue. On the positive side privacy and a potential hot bath at the end of long day of hiking were major positives. The security of a booked room ahead of us at the beginning of every day outweighed the potential "excitement" and serendipity of wandering around town at the end of a long hiking day looking for a room (never a problem in March when we went however). Another major benefit of hotels that compensated for expenses of up to five times that of an albergue (for two) I discovered was the buffet breakfast. Each and every day we awoke, generally well rested, and I gorged on a giant breakfast. I found myself passing up pilgrims who'd started earlier (more by compulsion than choice) who had to stop in the nearest town to eat because hungry. I often hiked well past noon, and sometimes all day without needing to stop again for food because of the large breakfast. Now the main drawback some of you will surely note here is that we were somehow missing out on one of the more important aspects of the Camino experience, namely, the "communal" aspect of albergues. I'm not convinced. I met plenty of pilgrims who complained about people and bed bugs and cold and discomfort in albergues but were there because of their budgets (totally understandable, and the main reason to use them, as far as I'm concerned). Some believed they'd meet more people, and probably correct there. While we met plenty of people in hotels (especially Spaniards and locals), we didn't really bond with any other peregrinos, meeting them only fleetingly along the trail and in occasional restaurants in town. Then again, I met plenty who stayed in albergues who nonetheless kept to themselves.

Anyway, this was just my experience and I'm wondering why more pilgrims past and present here (for whom budget is not the main issue) don't consider hotels (or Casa Rurales as in-between resource) more regularly while hiking the Camino, especially in the summer when I understand spaces are competitive in albergues.

Cheers!

Johann

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am a casa rural & hostal & pension & hotel person myself, partly because A Person of Maturity and Serenity (aka old coot) needs easy toilet access, and this is more problematic in albergues. In addition, I had trouble sleeping in them, more from the ventilation and ambient noise than snoring etc.

However, I have done albergue time and I formed the most extraordinary bonds with the pilgrims with whom I shared the accommodation. While hotelling it, I would meet pilgrims (and also meet many more Spaniards than I did in albergues), it was not the same as the very basic democracy of albergue conditions (as a francophone friend said: l'égalité profond d'une expérience partagée du misère-- the deep equality of shared misery-- it does sound better in French). No hotel advantage ever beat that, and although I loved my bath and a reasonable night's sleep, and my siesta, and my being able to lope up to bed after a lingering brandy in the plaza, there's something very valuable I miss.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If you are happy with your experience, that's all that really matters. I've completed the Camino Frances and Camino Portugues and am about to start Chemin d'Arles. I'm a woman in the 60's and walk alone. These are reasons I come up with.

For many people, and not just young ones, budgeting for a trip of several weeks is a very real issue. Albergues make camino possible for many people.

I have opted to stay in a private room much more often than a dorm. Many albergues have private rooms on offer (usually with shared bathroom). For me this is a great option, much less expensive than a casa rural or hotel and also get to hang out some with other pilgrims. Also, there are pensiones that cater especially to pilgrims. Although I enjoy walking alone, when I've stayed in hotels that are not pilgrim-oriented I miss the pilgrimness.

I usually walk a few miles before eating breakfast. Lucky for me, I prefer that since breakfast is not always a choice at an albergue. Surely, having to stop and eat on the Camino Frances isn't an issue for most. Places are everywhere.

In short, I really think there is a difference between the experience of hotels with all the amenities, and a more traditional pilgrim experience. The difference is not positive or negative; if your budget allows, you get to choose. Lucky!

There is no easy , correct or black and white answer to this question .... try as one may ....

The only reply is Live and Let Live ....

As in life so in the Camino .... people make various choices for various reasons ....

I used hotels and albergue last year ... but mostly the former .... some questioned my choices BUT I questioned noones choices .... I liked meeting people but we are really on our own walk .... I shared days with people but still our reasons for being there were different .... I actually found the constant enquiry about the why's ? Very tedious .... and it was not an enquiry I needed to make of others BECAUSE we were there ! In the moment ! Dealing with whatever came up ! Isn't that enough reason ... surely is for me

Why how or where someone stays really is their business .... etc .... there are benefits to every possibility in life ...

I never ate breakfast where I was staying because once awake I was itching to walk and really enjoyed walking for two hours before eating or having that great first coffee .... once again each to their own ... one size doesn't fit all

Ultreia
Onwards and Upwards
Where to next ??? The only question I have :cool:

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I usually walk a few miles before eating breakfast. Lucky for me, I prefer that since breakfast is not always a choice at an albergue

I never ate breakfast where I was staying because once awake I was itching to walk and really enjoyed walking for two hours before eating or having that great first coffee ....

I agree. At home I don't eat immediately upon rising, I often go for a 5 mile/8 km walk first.

Johann, I'm a hotel person myself. I like to walk my pace and I don't want to worry about a place to sleep. When I was on the Camino last year, I like your wife, peeped in the albergue and just knew I could not be comfortable there, yes the hotels can be expensive, but I need quiet at the end of a long day. I met pilgrims along the way, not many, but enough to have a great time. I actually met JohnnieWalker who was updating his book. What a lovely man he is! I met a Spanish woman and her husband and somehow we managed to communicate even with the language barrier. Her feet were full of blisters and I tended to her with my supplies... My journey was for religious reasons and to come to terms with suddenly becoming a widow, in short I needed my space. My Camino was very special and truly meaningful for me just the way I planned it. I will do hotels again on my next one as well. I think folks should do what feels right to them. I don't feel like I missed out on anything, as a matter of fact when stopping and talking to people all of them complained about the horrible night sleep they had...I am a bear if I'm tired and lack sleep. I don't want to be miserable if I'm honest...so hotels for me. I would like to stay in a house and a monastery, and may do that on future Caminos,

I know this forum topic already exists here somewhere and it may be outdated but I wanted to bring it up again since I recently completed the Camino with my partner, staying exclusively in hotels. My question for peregrinos is what they think the advantages and disadvantages are of avoiding albergues? In my case, I'm married and in my mid-forties. While I was open to the idea of staying, at least occasionally, in an albergue, my wife had zero intentions, especially after peeping her head into some along the way. And I figured, since this was potentially a once in a lifetime trip budget was not going to be a major issue. On the positive side privacy and a potential hot bath at the end of long day of hiking were major positives. The security of a booked room ahead of us at the beginning of every day outweighed the potential "excitement" and serendipity of wandering around town at the end of a long hiking day looking for a room (never a problem in March when we went however). Another major benefit of hotels that compensated for expenses of up to five times that of an albergue (for two) I discovered was the buffet breakfast. Each and every day we awoke, generally well rested, and I gorged on a giant breakfast. I found myself passing up pilgrims who'd started earlier (more by compulsion than choice) who had to stop in the nearest town to eat because hungry. I often hiked well past noon, and sometimes all day without needing to stop again for food because of the large breakfast. Now the main drawback some of you will surely note here is that we were somehow missing out on one of the more important aspects of the Camino experience, namely, the "communal" aspect of albergues. I'm not convinced. I met plenty of pilgrims who complained about people and bed bugs and cold and discomfort in albergues but were there because of their budgets (totally understandable, and the main reason to use them, as far as I'm concerned). Some believed they'd meet more people, and probably correct there. While we met plenty of people in hotels (especially Spaniards and locals), we didn't really bond with any other peregrinos, meeting them only fleetingly along the trail and in occasional restaurants in town. Then again, I met plenty who stayed in albergues who nonetheless kept to themselves.

Anyway, this was just my experience and I'm wondering why more pilgrims past and present here (for whom budget is not the main issue) don't consider hotels (or Casa Rurales as in-between resource) more regularly while hiking the Camino, especially in the summer when I understand spaces are competitive in albergues.

Cheers!

Johann
Very helpful Johann, thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On some routes there is no choice, pilgrim albergues are scarce. To say that staying in hostales, hotels, camping or whatever is less of a pilgrimage than staying in pilgrim albergues is utter nonsense.

Having said that, where there are albergues I generally use them, though not always.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed in a handful of Hotels, mainly in the larger towns. I didn't like it as much. I felt a bit like a fish out of water, as my fellow guests were generally not Pilgrims. So I would check in, sort my gear, and head out to 'pilgrim central' where ever that might be for dinner.

Pilgrim Central was what I called the main area that Pilgrims tended to 'hang out'. In smaller villages and towns it was often the first square with cafes on the way in.

Even tried a Parador in Santo Domingo. Nice room, but I didn't stay there long. Cleaned up and headed out to meet my camino 'family' for dinner. (Few of whom were staying in Albergues by the way) And the Parador was just full of ageing tourists.....

I haven't tried Albergues yet. Well not the 'full on' Albergue experience. I had a private room in a few. They were OK. My preference is for a Casa Rural. Not too expensive, usually available everywhere, usually other Pilgrims staying there. But with some privacy....

Albergues all the way: love the feeling of beimg in summer camp for adults! One of the Caminos' best feautures in opinion. The camaraderie, the discussions, the laughs (sometimes awkward in close quarters), and the contact with the hospies as well.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Between us we have done both over several years. We have had a mix of mostly albergues/non-booked hostals; booked one night ahead private albergues/hostals and also booked right through. Each was a pilgrimage and the accommodation was right for us on each occasion, to the point of making our last Camino possible. We met up with fellow pilgrims in much the same way each time and also had needed solitude each time. Not an issue really.

Hi Johann, on the CF and CP I stayed in both private accommodation and albergues. Many of us have chosen to stay in hotels/pensiones for a few days when we became ill and didn't want to pass on bugs to our fellow pilgrims, and some of us older ones indulged in the morale boost of fluffy towels and a deep bath by staying one whole night at a Parador. I really enjoyed staying in albergues (with one exception) and even the most basic ones can offer the best experience because of the wonderful hospitaleros who work for a higher purpose than earning money. @oursonpolaire's quote that 'the deep equality of shared misery' forges a bond between strangers chimes with my own experience Meeting people in albergues was an easy way to get to know other pilgrims for folks like me who tend not to be extrovert, and lasting friendships were formed by meeting up repeatedly along the way. It can be so heartwarming (particularly after a long wet trudge along paths that suddenly became rivers), to see at the coffee stop pilgrims whose faces you recognise and whose names you know. Now I am not sure that I am drawing any conclusions from this regarding hotels versus albergues, and forgive me moderators if this seems to be prompting a different thread, but there is another factor to throw into the mix and that is to consider if, and how the experience of walking the Camino might be different for those pilgrims who walk alone as compared to those who walk as couples. My preference, for all sorts of reasons, would always be walking alone even when I have planned to share accommodation at the end of the day. To walk a pilgrimage for religious reasons, stretches of solitariness and relative silence are essential, in my opinion. So perhaps the choice is not between albergues and hostels in terms of meeting others, but rather walking as a couple or walking alone.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Most of the time I walk on my own. Meeting with other pilgrims from all parts of the world, sharing information about experiences plannings and so on is for me one of the major attractions of walking a Camino. I don't think that staying in hotels for me would be satisfactory. But of course everybody chooses his own Camino.

Before my first camino I was wetting myself more about staying in the albergues than anything else!

Firstly, I work in the hotel industry, I love hotels, I got into travel through my discovery of the Parador system (these old buildings and locations are amazing and combine three of my most favourite things - Spain, History and Gourmet) - roughing it with a bunch of smelly, dirty, snoring strangers was my idea of complete hell.

On my first night at St Jean I stayed in a hotel, pretty lonely experience but the second night I decided to brave it and go for an albergue at Valcarlos - worse still, no one else turned up and I had the whole place to myself, with the wolves and the bears at the door clawing to get in! From there on out I was very happy to stay in the company of others!

TBH - its lovely, I now try to stay in albergues that I know do meals so I can talk to fellow pilgrims and take every opportunity to bother as many pilgrims as I can. I am now the reason other people must stay in hotels :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@oursonpolaire's quote that 'the deep equality of shared misery' forges a bond between strangers chimes with my own experience Meeting people in albergues was an easy way to get to know other pilgrims for folks like me who tend not to be extrovert, and lasting friendships were formed by meeting up repeatedly along the way. It can be so heartwarming (particularly after a long wet trudge along paths that suddenly became rivers), to see at the coffee stop pilgrims whose faces you recognise and whose names you know. Now I am not sure that I am drawing any conclusions from this regarding hotels versus albergues, and forgive me moderators if this seems to be prompting a different thread, but there is another factor to throw into the mix and that is to consider if, and how the experience of walking the Camino might be different for those pilgrims who walk alone as compared to those who walk as couples. My preference, for all sorts of reasons, would always be walking alone even when I have planned to share accommodation at the end of the day. To walk a pilgrimage for religious reasons, stretches of solitariness and relative silence are essential, in my opinion. So perhaps the choice is not between albergues and hostels in terms of meeting others, but rather walking as a couple or walking alone.

You should read "walk in a relaxed manner" by Joyce Rupp. She is a nun and a writer and she walked the CF with a friend who is a father in the Catholic church.

She found walking with a travel companion has its own difficulties and she thought it took her further out of her comfort zone, which was a good thing, for her as it gave her an opportunity to "grow".

Last edited:
Due to my rather loud snoring, age, and been their done that attitude with rough camping, I don't mind staying anywhere as long as I can get a room (as opposed to the communal rooms where people will throw things at me as I snore). It's not the classification (i.e. casa rural, hotel, alburgue, pension, etc.). Some of the best rooms I've had have been in pensions. As everybody has said before me, it's what works for you that matters and what works for everybody else is just as good (or as bad) as your choice. As to finding pilgrims, wherever I've stayed I've been able to interact with whomever is in the place. Sometimes that is a group of pilgrims. Sometimes its a group of people in the hotel who are just curious about why someone would walk the Camino. That's what I enjoyed about the whole walk. Since I was walking slower than many (50+ days SJPP to Santiago), I was with a person or group for a fews days, maybe a week, and then we would part. Kind of a good life lesson in a way. Yet even so, I had ample chance to walk alone for long distances and just reflect. You can't ask for anything better than that.

Mid way through 2015 , having returned from my third Camino,I posted that despite family not getting "caminoitis" I hoped to return for my 70th birthday.I now intend to start from Burgos 22 Aug,but this time I am treating myself to the 'Hotel Experience'.I have read many posts on the"who is a real pilgrim debate",and have in the past posted that it is not "how" but "that" we walk.I have no qualms of conscience about my change of sleeping arrangements,just grateful to God that I will once again walk this sacred way.

We stay at Alburgues for the most part, but when we got sick with a cold or flu we stayed at a hotel so as not to pass it on to anyone else. The trek is hard enough without making others sick. We like the mingling with others at alburgues. :)

I have walked 3 week sections of the Camino 4 times, i am 68 years old. The first time i stayed in municipal alburgues but never will again. I so like staying in the private alburgues because i meet so many interesting people, some of whom have become friends for life. I always stay in a hotel the first and last night and 1or 2 nights in between if i cannot find a nice alburgues, but always find them to be a lonely experience. My experience is that i get to meet many young people that i would not meet in my daily life, and it makes me feel young again.

Albergues are like any other type of accommodation in that there are some very nice ones and also some not so nice ones. I've really enjoyed most that I've stayed in but have also opted not to stay in a few that just looked uncomfortable to me (provided there was another option available). I stay mostly in albergues but allow myself a hotel about once a week.

It's always a pleasure to meet other pilgrims and discuss all aspects of the Camino with like minded people. I would highly recommend staying in an Albergue at least once to experience it. Pick one that feels right to you.

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I opted to go with an agency that arranged all my accommodations prior to starting my Camino. I was told by veteran Caminoist from our local chapter that I would miss out on the communal aspect of my pilgrimage. Wrong! By the time I had reached Logrono I had met a couple who became my Camino family. They, and a few others, had booked with the same agency and would end up in many of the same accommodations. I remain in touch with these friends to this day and even traveled to NZ and AU to visit them this past spring. As for the accommodations, I stayed in everything but albergues and Paradors. From big hotels in Burgos, Leon and Santiago, to small casa rurals with wonderful spanish families, a convent and even a cabin in a campground.

I was told I would not enjoy the freedom of walking the amount of kms I wanted to walk each day. Yes, I agree, however, I did not have to worry about the infamous "race for beds". The pre-arranged accommodations were all within reasonable walking distances, and mostly all were following John Brierley's recommended route. And having walked in September and October, it was a very busy time.
In fact, I had met quite a few who were calling ahead and booking a bed in albergues 2 and 3 days ahead to reserve a bed.

I can't recall having had a bad night's sleep. It was quiet and peaceful in my room every night.
And sleeping uninterrupted for 8 hours was such a blessing.

If you think you need to sleep in a hotel and can afford it, then do so. We're all different and have different needs. It's all fine. Not where you sleep or how you travel makes you a pilgrim, it's about your mind and your heart.

One thing I'd like to add, though, for those who are concerned about private space and good sleep in albergues:

Even as an introvert, for me the albergues were great places to stay. It seemed like everyone tried to stay out of other people's "bubbles"/personal space, but would try to involve you in social activities like cooking/eating together if you seemed like you were interested but too shy to ask. Perfect balance.

Before the Camino I suffered from insomnia and nightmares most of my life. During planning that got better already, and on the Camino I slept like a log from day one, even at places like the Najera municipal albergue, where you basically share a double bed with a stranger.

Also, even over easter, never had trouble finding a bed, and I'm a slow walker. No bed race at all.

So, I guess what I want to say is:
Don't worry and just stay open to everything, you might be surprised.

I love staying in albergues and encourage all pilgrims to have the experience as frequently as possible. That said, when I stay two or three nights in a city or just need some peace and quiet (and a real towel) I pay extra for the occasional hotel room.

I was having dinner alone in a hotel in Astorga one night when three pilgrims sat down at the table next to me. One of the pilgrims in the group complained that she had walked all the way from St. Jean and still not had the "Camino Experience." She was part of a tour group and had spent each night in a hotel and ate each morning and evening with other pilgrims in her group. I sat there quietly listening and connecting the dots.

In Phil Cousineau's "Art of the Pilgrimage" he says, "To people the world over, pilgrimage is a spirit exercise, an act of devotion to find a source of healing, or even to perform a penance. Always, it is a journey of risk and renewal. For a journey without challenge has no meaning; one without purpose has no soul." For me albergues are part of the challenge of pilgrimage and I'm always rewarded multiple times over.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ence/Stone Soup/Stone Soup v.16.docx#_ednref1 Phil Cousineau, “Art of Pilgrimage: The Seeker's Guide to Making Travel Sacred”, p. xxiii, Conari Press, 1998

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For me, hotels made a great respite from the alburgue. They allowed me more freedom in my stopovers as I didn't have to be in bed by 10pm nor did I have to leave early in the morning. Also after many days of alburgue life among the masses it is a great comfort to have a room all to yourself, a bathroom, a shower that really worked well and gave you all the hot water you ever wanted, the peace of mind that your stuff might not mysteriously disappear, and the lack of presence of those pilgrims who cared not a whit for your sleep and busied themselves with unpacking and repacking their whole packs in the middle of the night. So, be kind to yourself and drop into a hotel from time to time. You will be glad you did.

As I was planning my Camino, one of my reasons for doing this was to get out of my comfort zones. So I decided to go with albergues.

I had more than a little trepidation: I'm an introvert. I love my privacy. I'm a light sleeper. I need a good 8 hours of sleep.

Much to my surprise, I really loved staying in albergues. I had booked a hotel for my first rest day in Burgos, and I could not wait to get back to the albergue. I think the main reason was that feeling of being a part of the Camino community in all our imperfections and all our glory.

And no judgment about those of you who chose differently. We do our pilgrimages the way we need to.

Pensiones, Casa Rural's and hotels along the Camino are very affordable (compared to similar accommodations in the US) and while I could have easily stayed in a one every night while walking the Camino, there is no way I would do that. I just found the albergues to work just fine. Must be my redneck roots and too many years living and working overseas in the military and as a contractor in communal environments. One could hardly call staying in an albergue along the Camino as primitive or austere, or even uncomfortable. The ones I stayed in were always clean, hot showers, I never got bedbugs and always got enough sleep. Not to mention a lot of them got a kick ass bar/cafe attached where you can get a cold beer and some grub and socialize with pilgrims you met.
About once a week along the Camino I would crash for the night in a pensiones, etc just as a treat. Get my laundry done in a washer/dryer. Dump all the crap out of my pack all over the floor. Shower at night and again in the morning before I left. It was nice to do, but no way every night. Of course in Santiago I would treat myself to a pensiones as a reward, ha ha.
Since this thread, like all, are opinion based, I'll go out on a limb and say if one walks the Camino and only stays in hotels and the like, they are missing out. I'd never do it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just to add to the mix........

We often hear that staying in Hotels, pre-booking accomodation or 'heaven forbid' using a tour group to arrange everything won't lead to a very good experience for so many reasons....

In 2015 I walked alone, booking a day or so ahead, mainly at Casa Rurals.

I was lucky to have 2 camino 'families' along the way. They pulled ahead of me after a week or so, as I had to walk very slowly. The first family' of 10 or so, was staying mainly in Albergues. But I would usually meet up with them for dinner and breaks along the way.

The second family was a different mix. Again about 10 people, but I think only 3 were staying in Albergues. If we weren't actually walking together we would often keep in touch using Whatsapp and agree where to meet for dinner.

And then my 'best buddy' on the Camino had actually arranged everything with a tour group! We walked off and on together for about 10 days..... The odd day our destinations did not match, but might be in sync a day or two later.

Apart from that, I met so many wonderful people, staying in all kinds of places. Many of whom I would see off and on throughout the whole journey, when it was a real joy to share a meal and experiences together.

Bottom line? I don't think it matters a jot where you stay.

Except........it should probably be in a place that caters mainly for Pilgrims if possible, if you want the company of other Pilgrims....... i.e. mid to high end Hotels will be mainly full of tourists.

On a slightly different but related track..........

Just looking at my notes from 2015.......
Of the 40 nights on the road, I dined alone for 18.

6 of those were in the final 100. My 'families' had gone on ahead, and I was walking injured and very slow.
A lot of the other Pilgrims seemed to fall into 2 main groups. Long walkers who were head down trying to finish and maybe not that interested in making new friends at this late stage. And walking too fast for me anyway. And large organised groups who had their own company. And thirdly of course a few lone walkers and couples who had started closer to Sarria.

4 of the 'dining alone' nights were due to location. Where I was on the outskirts of town, or maybe in a tiny 'off camino' village.

The other 8 'lonely' dinners, were probably down to me. Never more alone that in a crowd type of thing. I'm not one to 'push into' what is obviously a Camino Family of some type, and I tend to shy away from large noisy groups.

So I'm not sure the choice of accommodation has a lot to do with the social aspect. It's probably more the personality of the individual?

In 2018, Pat and I will likely 'try' Albergues. Why? Because we'll be walking shorter days for Pat and will likely have no other options from time to time. And....I'd like to try them at least once :) But I'm probably a bit like someone who is scared of dogs. You can tell me that I'll enjoy the Albergue experience as much as you like, but my brain tells me the dog will bite me :eek: (I like Dogs by the way)

Sadly nothing I hear about Albergues really appeals to me, other than the Social aspect.
But I'll give it a go ;) Because if you never never go...........you'll never never know!

Sorry, bit of a Robo ramble but hopefully kind of on track with the thread........:oops:

We stay at Alburgues for the most part, but when we got sick with a cold or flu we stayed at a hotel so as not to pass it on to anyone else. The trek is hard enough without making others sick. We like the mingling with others at alburgues. :)

In one of my Camino 'Families' was a Nurse who had a terrible cold for about a week. Staying in Albergues......and wouldn't take any meds...... :eek:

@Robo stick it out for a bit - it takes a while to get comfortable being in such close confines with strangers. But if, after giving it a fair whack, you decide you don't like the experience, then nothing lost. No way would my husband go back to the albergue experience. But I much prefer them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And yes, @Robo, I do think it is really inconsiderate of people if they are sick, and can afford to sleep elsewhere, to stay in albergues. One of my pet peeves.

Pensiones, Casa Rural's and hotels along the Camino are very affordable (compared to similar accommodations in the US) and while I could have easily stayed in a one every night while walking the Camino, there is no way I would do that. I just found the albergues to work just fine. Must be my redneck roots and too many years living and working overseas in the military and as a contractor in communal environments. One could hardly call staying in an albergue along the Camino as primitive or austere, or even uncomfortable. The ones I stayed in were always clean, hot showers, I never got bedbugs and always got enough sleep. Not to mention a lot of them got a kick ass bar/cafe attached where you can get a cold beer and some grub and socialize with pilgrims you met.
About once a week along the Camino I would crash for the night in a pensiones, etc just as a treat. Get my laundry done in a washer/dryer. Dump all the crap out of my pack all over the floor. Shower at night and again in the morning before I left. It was nice to do, but no way every night. Of course in Santiago I would treat myself to a pensiones as a reward, ha ha.
Since this thread, like all, are opinion based, I'll go out on a limb and say if one walks the Camino and only stays in hotels and the like, they are missing out. I'd never do it.
To each their own I guess. I don't feel like I missed out on anything at all by not staying in albergues, or the unnatural and enforced socialization that comes with them.

To each their own I guess. I don't feel like I missed out on anything at all by not staying in albergues, or the unnatural and enforced socialization that comes with them.
Yeah, all that horrible interaction with fellow pilgrims, ha ha. It's not normal hanging out, breaking bread together, communicating. :rolleyes:
Not to mention those terrible "social cops" forcing one to do it. What's a pilgrim to do? ha ha
Next time I'm going to see if there's an international association of misanthrope pilgrims I can join. Wait a second, if they are pilgrims walking a path with tens of thousands of other people, then they cannot truly be misanthropes or introverts, right? :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We are a mix it up kinda pilgrim--Wife and I. Meaning that we start in SJPDP in the communal environment, continue it at Orisson and on to Pamplona. About in Pamplona we always seem to have our Camino family well in hand and with everyone getting along well (for the most part) we seem to then start mixing a few Casa Royals etc into the mix along with a Monastery or two or three and Albergues. This way we hold onto our Camino Family fairly well and everyone gets a reprieve from the sleepiness nights once in a while. This carries us all the way to SDC.

This is a great discussion thread.......

Buen Camino to all and I'm really excited to be back on the Camino this May/June. Ed

In one of my Camino 'Families' was a Nurse who had a terrible cold for about a week. Staying in Albergues......and wouldn't take any meds...... :eek:
Not good and very inconsiderate !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will be in Spain from late July to early September but I only have a 15 to 18 day window for walking. ( I need to be in Madrid by August 12 followed by having to be in Valencia by August 14 followed by having to be in Coruna by August 20 )
My plan is to start in Leon & end in either Santiago or possibly Finisterre if time allows.
Anyway, I'm sure I'm being selfish but I plan on staying in hotels, casa rurals and such but prefer to hang out with the folks staying in the alburgues.
Maybe someone can point out the better alburgues between Leon and Santiago? I have no problem calling an audible and staying in an alburgue.

Yeah, all that horrible interaction with fellow pilgrims, ha ha. It's not normal hanging out, breaking bread together, communicating. :rolleyes:
Not to mention those terrible "social cops" forcing one to do it. What's a pilgrim to do? ha ha
Next time I'm going to see if there's an international association of misanthrope pilgrims I can join. Wait a second, if they are pilgrims walking a path with tens of thousands of other people, then they cannot truly be misanthropes or introverts, right? :D
Everyone has different priorities and can co-exist, which is why I enjoyed my first Camino so much. I saw groups that stuck together the whole way and became little social cliques that more or less shut other people out (I suppose me and my wife could be seen in the same way, when we were hiking together). Some treated it like a big party, drinking beer at every opportunity, playing music from their i-Pod speakers at rest stops and on the trail. Others kept to themselves. Some pilgrims prefer to hike faster or slower than others, and have different goals for the day. Some wore earbuds and didn't even respond to a passing greeting. Some were chatty-Kathy's, ready to talk my ear off. I listened to most of them for as long as I could and then continued on my own way. In the albergues that I wandered past from town to town I saw people off in corners by themselves just as much as I saw groups dining together. In our hotels we met several pilgrims who were sick of albergues and complained about certain people and were jealous of us who were staying in hotels. Personally, I was open and ready to stay in a few albergues and meet some more people at the dinner table or in the bunks, but that wasn't part of the bargain with my wife. So I improvised and made up for whatever I may or may not have been "missing out on" (FOMO is what this conversation is really all about) by initiating conversations with albergue pilgrims on the trail and elsewhere, when I felt like it. I invited another lonely pilgrims (the albergue exiles) to join us to visit a church or museum (I attended mass with several pilgrims along the way -- does that count in your social calculus I wonder?), or have tea or dinner together. But more often than not, I preferred my wife's company, and when she wasn't around, I relished my solitude and walked with St. James. And that was the best company of all.

Johann;

I tried them all and it was a wonderful experience.

First, I really liked the albergues, expecially the ones that had communal meals. I didn't like the rude people getting up at 4:30 AM and making noise so they could leave before dawn. What I like most was the price and the companionship and talking and sharing experiences.

In large cities, where I was going to take a rest day and be a tourist, hotels were really nice. I too liked the big breakfast and the soaking in a hot bathtub to rest tired muscles.

When I found the albergues full (and that happened a few times) I tried either a Cassa Rurales or a hostel. I only stayed at one Cassa Rurales, but thought it was really great. The Hostles were also great in that they were sort of between a hotel and albergue with a single room. One of the Hostles I stayed at was a run by a nun's religious order. It was sort of a hotel for nuns and a group home for them. It was a little strange, but nice in terms of the pilgrimage experience; very small simple room with a cross over the bed.

My advice would be to try a variety of lodging (depending on your budget) so at to get the most you can from your Camino.[/QUOTE]

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stayed in a handful of Hotels, mainly in the larger towns. I didn't like it as much. I felt a bit like a fish out of water, as my fellow guests were generally not Pilgrims. So I would check in, sort my gear, and head out to 'pilgrim central' where ever that might be for dinner.

Pilgrim Central was what I called the main area that Pilgrims tended to 'hang out'. In smaller villages and towns it was often the first square with cafes on the way in.

Even tried a Parador in Santo Domingo. Nice room, but I didn't stay there long. Cleaned up and headed out to meet my camino 'family' for dinner. (Few of whom were staying in Albergues by the way) And the Parador was just full of ageing tourists.....

I haven't tried Albergues yet. Well not the 'full on' Albergue experience. I had a private room in a few. They were OK. My preference is for a Casa Rural. Not too expensive, usually available everywhere, usually other Pilgrims staying there. But with some privacy....

I stayed at the Paradore in Leon because it was my birthday .... I don't need to do it again .... not that anything wrong with it at alll .... BUT ... I've had that experience .... prefer to be out on the road .... that's where the REAL experience is .... out walking ...

Ultreia :D onwards and upwards folks ... that IS what it is truly about :cool:

"unnatural and enforced socialization"

:D

For the new pilgrims who are reading this and now worry they might be chained to a dinner table and forced to talk, drink beer and play cards all night with dozens of grumpy sleep deprived pilgrims who are constantly in a bad mood because they wanted to stay in the parador but have to stay at albergues for financial reasons: Don't worry.

From my experience, a) many people staying in albergues could have afforded private rooms but preferred albergues for most nights anyway, that should tell you enough b) most of the time people in albergues would leave you alone if you wanted to be left alone, but invited you to join them at dinner table/have some wine/whatever if they thought you might need company. Nothing forced about that, most humans are empathetic creatures and therefore capable of seeing the difference between 'lonely and wants company' and 'alone but wants to be left alone' (and for some reason on the Camino people seem to act accordingly more often than in everyday life). And for the few times that doesn't work, then there's always the option of saying "No thank you" or asking "I'm going to cook tonight, anyone wants to join?" For most people that seems to work just fine, and even though of course shared accommodation has its disadvantages, for most pilgrims the positives seem to outweigh the negatives.

To make one thing clear: Of course it's absolutely fine if someone prefers to be alone or not socialise much, for whatever reasons. In that case hotels/pensions/casa rurals, at least for some of the nights, are probably a good solution. There are good options for everyone. Just remember that what is perfect for you might be a horror to others. Don't judge people just because they have different needs than you.

No @Jersey you are not being selfish staying in other accommodation, quite the reverse! By freeing up a bed in the albergue you are leaving it for someone who may not be able to afford a more expensive room. I feel guilty for the reverse reason to you; I could afford to say elsewhere, but I like the albergues. My way of making reparations is to give generously when it is a donativo, hopefully subsidising someone else.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"Missing out" .....on queues, for the loo, a shower, snoring, rustling polythene bags at 4 am, 10 pm lights out regimentation.
Oh yes, I really feel I'm missing out.
I love my fellow pelegrinos, but not so much that I want to sleep with them.
I am the Ensuitepilgrim.

Cheers!

Johann

My fifteen year old son and I walked together (okay, he was often a good 50 to 100 feet ahead of me), and we stayed in albergues. Only once did we have to walk further to find a room -- but then again, we walked in early Spring, and the camino was not so crowded.

Here are a few reasons I choose albergues over hotels and pensions:
-I get to meet people from all over.
- People are not segregated by income or profession. To clarify-- those who stay in hotels have extra moolah-- that is to say, for example, you are not going to share a meal with a broke university student from Prague in a hotel. Whereas there is a mix in the albergues; I've met retired firefighters from Boston, university students from Seville, families from Madrid, doctors from Berlin.
-- I love having a kitchen to make meals. And I love cooking for and with other pilgrims.
-- I don't feel pressure "to be a tourist" and worry about how I dress. I was raised learning to judge and place people by looking at their clothes, their manner, their grammar. I want to let go of that as much as I can-- especially when on the camino.
--I love the welcome I receive when I go to an albergue (before Sarria).
--I can get great information from the staff and other pilgrims.
--I like to go the pilgrims' mass whenever I can, and it's great to go with others. I haven't found others interested when I've stayed at hotels. But perhaps I am shy in asking others when I stay there, everyone keeps to themselves-- and I feel like I might come across as a religious fanatic.

ultreia--

Kate

My absolute favorite accommodation is the room in a local person's house---chambre d'hote or casa rural. It gives you a chance to meet the locals, practice the language, sample genuine local food. It is not always easy, sometimes it is hard to relax, speaking another language (or even mixed Franglish Spanglish) all through dinner can be more exhausting than hiking, but everyone should give it a try. Pilgrims can get into their own little world sometimes and it is a great way to get more in touch with your location, support the local economy, and make some friends. I have whole set of photos of homeowners hugging us as they send us on our way.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are doing the camino as a pilgrimage, you want to step outside your "comfort zone" and strip life down to its most simple form. Sleeping in communal quarters is certainly well outside most of our comfort-zones!
One thing I am contemplating lately is the ongoing mantra of "It's YOUR Camino," or "MY camino..." which is a very Western, individualist view. The Camino, IMHO, is OURS. We all are fundamentally singular creatures, but on this Path we are part of a great continuum, historically as well as geographically. We're part of a great sweep of other people. What our fellows do and say to us is a great part of what makes our camino happen... and what we do and say makes theirs. We are in this together. We need to shift out of our precious "Me/My/Mine" view and let ourselves become part of a greater Us.
Even those of us who are Introverts!
(which is not to say albergues are better than hotels, but they facilitate US a lot better than neat, clean, individual rooms.)

My absolute favorite accommodation is the room in a local person's house---chambre d'hote or casa rural. It gives you a chance to meet the locals, practice the language, sample genuine local food. It is not always easy, sometimes it is hard to relax, speaking another language (or even mixed Franglish Spanglish) all through dinner can be more exhausting than hiking, but everyone should give it a try. Pilgrims can get into their own little world sometimes and it is a great way to get more in touch with your location, support the local economy, and make some friends. I have whole set of photos of homeowners hugging us as they send us on our way.

I agree 100%
I have never actually stayed in a casa rural but I'm lucky enough to have two good friends in Spain. Last year I spent a month with them & their family. Two weeks in Madrid & two weeks in Coruna.
Pretty close to spending a month in a casa rural.
One of the best experiences of my life. I was so impressed I'm now seriously thinking of spending a year in Spain, a few years down the line.
This year I will do it again. One week in Valencia, one week in Coruna and one week in Cangas with 3 weeks set aside to walk the Camino.

Cheers!

Johann
I could have afforded to stay in hotels but chose alburgues. My biggest fear in walking the Camino was loneliness, as I was going on my own. If I had stayed in hotels, I think that fear would have been realized. I met amazing people in the alburgues and forged lifelong friendships. The comfort of hotels isn't worth that to me. When I walk again, I will do the same. I view the Camino as a river of humanity. You just jump in and start swimming.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My husband and I walked together - also a couple in our 40s :) We stayed in albergues most nights and I am glad we did. My favorite memories of the places we stayed are all in albergues. Some of the albergues weren't great, but most were pretty good and some were terrific. The hotels we stayed at were fine, but nothing really stood out to me from our hotel nights. I liked the albergues though. I also come from a very large extended family and am pretty much used to communal living anyway, so from that perspective it seemed pretty natural. Lines for the bathrooms weren't bad, and although I occasionally had to wait for a shower, it wasn't a big deal. The social atmosphere far outweighed any negatives.

We got a hotel occasionally - once in a while it was nice to have the space and the luxury, and I did get sick along the way, and then it was very nice to have our own room.

If you are doing the camino as a pilgrimage, you want to step outside your "comfort zone" and strip life down to its most simple form. Sleeping in communal quarters is certainly well outside most of our comfort-zones!
One thing I am contemplating lately is the ongoing mantra of "It's YOUR Camino," or "MY camino..." which is a very Western, individualist view. The Camino, IMHO, is OURS. We all are fundamentally singular creatures, but on this Path we are part of a great continuum, historically as well as geographically. We're part of a great sweep of other people. What our fellows do and say to us is a great part of what makes our camino happen... and what we do and say makes theirs. We are in this together. We need to shift out of our precious "Me/My/Mine" view and let ourselves become part of a greater Us.
Even those of us who are Introverts!
(which is not to say albergues are better than hotels, but they facilitate US a lot better than neat, clean, individual rooms.)
Who says

Walking a Camino takes you out of your" comfort zone" !

You don't have to doss down, communally to do that .

Great , if you want to; I don't and won't, thereby freeing up a place for those who do.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Walking a Camino takes you out of your" comfort zone" !

You don't have to doss down, communally to do that .

Great , if you want to; I don't and won't, thereby freeing up a place for those who do.

I don't think that @Rebekah Scott was being proscriptive, so can't understand what seems like anger expressed here. On previous postings members of the forum have suggested that returning pilgrims, i.e. walking any Camino for the second or more time, might consider staying in private accommodation so that 'newbies'/those with limited funds might be ensured a place in an albergue.

Cheers!

Johann
I opted to go with an agency that arranged all my accommodations prior to starting my Camino. I was told by veteran Caminoist from our local chapter that I would miss out on the communal aspect of my pilgrimage. Wrong! By the time I had reached Logrono I had met a couple who became my Camino family. They, and a few others, had booked with the same agency and would end up in many of the same accommodations. I remain in touch with these friends to this day and even traveled to NZ and AU to visit them this past spring. As for the accommodations, I stayed in everything but albergues and Paradors. From big hotels in Burgos, Leon and Santiago, to small casa rurals with wonderful spanish families, a convent and even a cabin in a campground.

I was told I would not enjoy the freedom of walking the amount of kms I wanted to walk each day. Yes, I agree, however, I did not have to worry about the infamous "race for beds". The pre-arranged accommodations were all within reasonable walking distances, and mostly all were following John Brierley's recommended route. And having walked in September and October, it was a very busy time.
In fact, I had met quite a few who were calling ahead and booking a bed in albergues 2 and 3 days ahead to reserve a bed.

I can't recall having had a bad night's sleep. It was quiet and peaceful in my room every night.
And sleeping uninterrupted for 8 hours was such a blessing.
Is there a book listing all of the hotels and Refugios with phone numbers and/or email?
I have the John Brierley guide book but I am looking for something that reflects all the hotels and Refugios not just some random ones

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I could have afforded to stay in hotels but chose alburgues. My biggest fear in walking the Camino was loneliness, as I was going on my own. If I had stayed in hotels, I think that fear would have been realized. I met amazing people in the alburgues and forged lifelong friendships. The comfort of hotels isn't worth that to me. When I walk again, I will do the same. I view the Camino as a river of humanity. You just jump in and start swimming.
My husband and I walked together - also a couple in our 40s :) We stayed in albergues most nights and I am glad we did. My favorite memories of the places we stayed are all in albergues. Some of the albergues weren't great, but most were pretty good and some were terrific. The hotels we stayed at were fine, but nothing really stood out to me from our hotel nights. I liked the albergues though. I also come from a very large extended family and am pretty much used to communal living anyway, so from that perspective it seemed pretty natural. Lines for the bathrooms weren't bad, and although I occasionally had to wait for a shower, it wasn't a big deal. The social atmosphere far outweighed any negatives.

We got a hotel occasionally - once in a while it was nice to have the space and the luxury, and I did get sick along the way, and then it was very nice to have our own room.
Funny, my wife also comes from a large, extended family, however, it had the reverse effect on her and she's had enough of "communal" living, which is why we stayed in hotels the whole way. Personally, I was totally open to staying in them and if I were to go again, by myself, I'd definitely mix it up. That said, I LOVED every single hotel, bed, bath, shower, and buffet breakfast we had and wouldn't change a thing for this particular Camino experience.

Oh, FOMO and “the Camino expetience.”. Don’t think so. How many people would still walk the Camino if the knew they’d be the only one out there everyday? If yes, then why does it matter where you stay? In any event, you can meet people in restaurants or on the trail, or hotel too.

Oh, FOMO and “the Camino expetience.”. Don’t think so. How many people would still walk the Camino if the knew they’d be the only one out there everyday? If yes, then why does it matter where you stay? In any event, you can meet people in restaurants or on the trail, or hotel too.

Very well said, except for the issue of comfort. I did the CF in May 2016 by bicycle on my own and stayed in a variety of places. It was nice on a rest day to stay at a place where I could have a bath, private room and sleep in with out being woken early in the morning by other pilgrims.

In July 2017, I did a 400+ mile bicycle pilgrimage across England that started at the Bristol Cathedral, and ended at the Canterbury Cathedral with stops at Abbeys, Cathedrals, churches along the way. No one was following the path I choose, there were no other "pilgrims" I could spot even one day. England has some great bicycle and hiking paths along canals and former railroad right of ways.

I was a pilgrim doing this spiritual and physical adventure for myself and by myself. As England doesn't have the same infrastructure as the Camino, I stayed in mostly B&B's and inexpensive tourist hotels gleaned from Trip Advisor. It was worth doing, but the Camino was a better experience.

Cheers!

Johann
Thank you Johann, good info for me. I am doing my first Camino close to the end of April and my friend and I would also,like to stay in hotels.
Our concern is availability - I understand you prebooked each morning? Also, is there a list of hotels that I can draw download to take with us please? Also, are there hotels in all the villages?
Sorry for all the questions-very green but extremely excited to be doing 5he Camino Frances.
Kind regards
Kathleen

[QUOTE="KathleenGrace, post: 584102, member: 76874]
Also, is there a list of hotels that I can draw download to take with us please? Also, are there hotels in all the villages?
Kathleen[/QUOTE]

Hi Kathleen,
No, there aren't hotels in all the villages but often you can have a private room in the albergues. Use https://www.gronze.com to check accommodation available and for hotels, use Booking.com.
Buen camino.

Thank you Johann, good info for me. I am doing my first Camino close to the end of April and my friend and I would also,like to stay in hotels.
Our concern is availability - I understand you prebooked each morning? Also, is there a list of hotels that I can draw download to take with us please? Also, are there hotels in all the villages?
Sorry for all the questions-very green but extremely excited to be doing 5he Camino Frances.
Kind regards
Kathleen
Hi Kathleen, So excited for you! April/May should be really nice time to be on the Camino. I don't think you'll have any issues with finding a place to stay so I wouldn't even worry about it. In terms of hotels, as mentioned by Domigee, not all towns have "hotels" but you can adjust your daily walking schedule to end up in towns that do (with a couple exceptions here and there where you may either have to stay in an albuergue, many of which have private rooms for an extra charge however). We used booking.com (and gronze.com is another popular hotel search/booking site too) in coordination with TripAdvisor (for recent reviews -- very useful). The best way to book, in my experience, was to do so directly with the hotel (or Casa Rural) directly by phone, email, website, or through your previous hotel's staff the day before (in some cases we booked two and three days in advance when we were relatively certain of our walking schedule -- in fact this pretty much what we did the whole Camino, is plan two and three day segments at a time and we never had to worry about a room or cancellation). The reason being that booking.com (and probably Gronze) charge something like 10-20% fees on top of what you could normally get going direct. However, the convenience of those sites may or might not be worth the extra fee to you. And of course, the one hang up would be a change in your plans that would cause you to cancel and loose some money . . . so that's something to consider when booking ahead.

I could give you suggestions for specific towns but the list is too long and I'm working on putting up my own reviews of places we stayed on TripAdvisor, which I recommend you look at once you know the town you'll be staying in . . . again, not everything is listed there and serendipity is often what makes the Camino so enjoyable for many pilgrims. The main reason I stayed in hotels and planned as much as I could on my first Camino was to accommodate my wife, and that was just fine -- I absolutely loved having a nice quite private room with clean, hot shower (or bathtub!) and large bed to look forward to at various points along the road. Good luck and most of all, don't worry, for the Camino really does provide in the end.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Kathleen, So excited for you! April/May should be really nice time to be on the Camino. I don't think you'll have any issues with finding a place to stay so I wouldn't even worry about it. In terms of hotels, as mentioned by Domigee, not all towns have "hotels" but you can adjust your daily walking schedule to end up in towns that do (with a couple exceptions here and there where you may either have to stay in an albuergue, many of which have private rooms for an extra charge however). We used booking.com (and gronze.com is another popular hotel search/booking site too) in coordination with TripAdvisor (for recent reviews -- very useful). The best way to book, in my experience, was to do so directly with the hotel (or Casa Rural) directly by phone, email, website, or through your previous hotel's staff the day before (in some cases we booked two and three days in advance when we were relatively certain of our walking schedule -- in fact this pretty much what we did the whole Camino, is plan two and three day segments at a time and we never had to worry about a room or cancellation). The reason being that booking.com (and probably Gronze) charge something like 10-20% fees on top of what you could normally get going direct. However, the convenience of those sites may or might not be worth the extra fee to you. And of course, the one hang up would be a change in your plans that would cause you to cancel and loose some money . . . so that's something to consider when booking ahead.

I could give you suggestions for specific towns but the list is too long and I'm working on putting up my own reviews of places we stayed on TripAdvisor, which I recommend you look at once you know the town you'll be staying in . . . again, not everything is listed there and serendipity is often what makes the Camino so enjoyable for many pilgrims. The main reason I stayed in hotels and planned as much as I could on my first Camino was to accommodate my wife, and that was just fine -- I absolutely loved having a nice quite private room with clean, hot shower (or bathtub!) and large bed to look forward to at various points along the road. Good luck and most of all, don't worry, for the Camino really does provide in the end.[/QUOTE
Thank you ! Will most def check out Trip Advisor and booking.com....very excited about this walk, almost cannot believe it is going to happe. Good idea to precook couple of days in advance when schedule is sure. Thank you for practical suggestions...

[QUOTE="KathleenGrace, post: 584102, member: 76874]
Also, is there a list of hotels that I can draw download to take with us please? Also, are there hotels in all the villages?
Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,
No, there aren't hotels in all the villages but often you can have a private room in the albergues. Use https://www.gronze.com to check accommodation available and for hotels, use Booking.com.
Buen camino.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for your reply...most definitely will check booking.com, kind regards

Sorry, replied in wrong area. Thank you for your suggestions, will check both sites you mentioned, as well as talk with my walking friends about booking couple days when sure of our days. Yippee, Camino-here we come.
Kind regards
Buen Camino!

Sorry, replied in wrong area. Thank you for your suggestions, will check both sites you mentioned, as well as talk with my walking friends about booking couple days when sure of our days. Yippee, Camino-here we come.
Kind regards
Buen Camino!
Lots of times the bars will have a couple of rooms available upstairs.

Thanks everyone for the information. Starting on good Friday. I have always had trouble sleeping so a hotel or pension are better places for me but I must try an albergue for a few nights!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back