• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How about a down BLANKET!?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I had an "Oh, Duh!" moment when I looked at my down hammock quilt and thought, "Wow, that would be GREAT to take on the Camino!"

First of all, it's less than a pound.
Second of all, it's VERY warm.
Third of all, it compresses down very small.

There are no zippers or head coverings.
You just slip it over your feet and body.
You could lie on it and cover with it if you were small.
But I'm seriously considering it for the VDLP.

BTW, I've heard all the "don't take down" arguments and for the record, I've used down on my last two walks and it did fine. I stuff it into the bottom of my bag and put my gear on top. My bag is always dry due to a nysil cover AND an Altus poncho, so unless you're walking in monsoons (like I've heard they're having now) I don't think keeping it dry is much of a problem. Plus,a lot of places have gotten dryers in the past few years.

I like this one from JacksRBetter http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/shenandoah-standard-rectangular-quilts/

Has anyone else taken a down QUILT or BLANKET?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, I use a down sleeping bag also... but my down QUILT weighs much less and I never use the hood or zipper on my sleeping bag... so... now I"m thinking... 8)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We, the beloved and I, have a down quilt, but I keep escaping from edges and wake up to cold bits. In the absence of accurate scales I can't be certain but my 'bag, 12 oz, seems to weigh less than the quilt. But then the quilt is "double bed" and the bag is single-mummy ...

Cold bits? OH NO!~ lol

Yes, David, maybe?
But I call the quilt COVER a duvet.

There are some pretty funny differences in our English, by the way, and I have several funny stories about that. When I was in Wales, we often laughed over those differences. The funniest thing was sitting around the table at dinner with 8 women - one pregnant - and talking "girl talk." First of all, they were really talking FAST - and I was doing my best to keep track of the conversation with the thick Welsh accents . Secondly, the wine had been flowing, so the conversations weren't all what a polite person might consider "table conversation." :oops:

So at some point the pregnant girl mentioned the food was probably going to be constipating for her.
Another girl said, "You know what the solution for that is, right?"
The pregnant girl said "no?"
Two or three answered at the same time... and I thought they said, "Defecate!"
They all starting laughing, and I was SHOCKED, and I said, "Defecate?"
They all just lost it then, and REALLY started laughing...
then said, "nooooooo!.... JAFA CAKES!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course, I had no idea what they were talking about, having never heard of a Jafa Cake.
But I eventually had plenty of them, each time with a round of laughter and a "here's your DefeCakes!" lol

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ha! good joke :lol:

One of the differences that always gets me is 'momentarily' - in English English (real English) it means 'for a moment', but you folk seem to use it as ' happening very soon'. I don't fly but have heard it used in films "we will be landing at .. momentarily" - which is weird for us.

In Britain and Europe the duvet is the quilt thing and the cover is a duvet cover :lol: :wink:

There are quite a few down bags, with full zip so they lay flat and act as quilts, available in very light weights. I really like mine - learned about it from a Swiss woman my first year walking in France. Was much chagrined to learn I could have got the equivalent for waaaaay less at REI than in Basel. Packs down to about the size of a softball, weighs in at just less than a pound.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
David said:
In Britain and Europe the duvet is the quilt thing and the cover is a duvet cover :

In Oz it also called a doona

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In Canada it is also a duvet and a duvet cover - two separate items.

I bought a very light down jacket that scrunches down to nothing and weighs very little. I bought it on clearance for only $30 and figure it will be multi purpose. I can wear it in the evenings or mornings when/if it is cold and I can also wear it to bed it if is cold. It is actually a man's size (i am female) so it is very roomy.

Luckily it is light enough to carry even if I never use it. The way the weather has been so far this year it is worth the extra weight. I am hoping for a bit of Murphy's law in that if I carry it the whole camino I will never need it but if I leave it at home I will have needed it.

Love the jaffa cake story!

An interesting variation on Murphy's Law. The proof: In England we always carry umbrellas and it never rains... Yesterday, I had a joyful day in london with the beloved when we ate at one of Heston Blumentals restaurants, visited the V&A for the David Bowie exhibition and viewed an exquisite Alabaster statue of Santiago Peregrino carved by Derbyshire craftsmen in the 5th century. We watched, through windows and doorways as torrential rain fell on many an occasion but my umbrella remained dry.

Carrying a down quilt / duvet / blanket / sleeping bag should ensure warm days and cosy nights ... Though Murphy's says contrariwise.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.