• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How accessible and frequent are bathrooms on the Camino?

AFB_CF_2018

Time of past OR future Camino
Newbie. Walking CN June/July 2018. ❤️
I found an old thread from 2006, but I’m curious for more updated information. I don’t mind buying something to use the bathroom. I have a very sensitive stomach, and I’m concerned about proximity to bathrooms. I understand there are ways to do my business in the outdoors, but I’m asking for the specific information about how commonly found bathrooms are on the Camino. Of all the things to plan and think about, this one makes me the most anxious. Sadly, I will be need to avoid coffee at all costs. Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think the answer depends in part on what time of day you are walking. Although there are bars/cafes in most (not all!) villages you pass through, some may be closed early in the morning or mid-day.

Buen Camino!

Which Camino route? Which section of that route?
On the Camino Frances I do not believe I ever saw a toilet placed on the path just for pilgrims. Only place besides the outdoors I saw were in the bars and cafes in the villages/towns/cities. Research it in a guidebook. If you see a village or town on the route that means there's probably a cafe or bar there.
but hey, look at the bright side...nobody notices anybody (or cares) when you have to irrigate a tree/bush or take a squat off the path

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Having had IBS stop me travelling for many years I can say that I didn't have a single problem on the CF. There are bathrooms galore and all available for a single purchase, whether it be a soft drink, a piece of fruit or whatever. You can use them and not pay, but that seems just wrong.

I found that walking every day kept my IBS at bay. Only overnight stops in hotels where I felt obliged to eat big breakfasts of cereals with milk caused problems. But then the hotels all had en suite facilities.

Buen Camino

I found an old thread from 2006, but I’m curious for more updated information. I don’t mind buying something to use the bathroom. I have a very sensitive stomach, and I’m concerned about proximity to bathrooms. I understand there are ways to do my business in the outdoors, but I’m asking for the specific information about how commonly found bathrooms are on the Camino. Of all the things to plan and think about, this one makes me the most anxious. Sadly, I will be need to avoid coffee at all costs. Thanks
Bathrooms? Hmm. Outside of towns and villages, Mother Nature provides. Strategic manoeuvering, with malice aforethought, ie toilet roll and a strong rubbish bag and something to act as a hole digger, and a pack of wipes, and off you go. If possible, DON’T WORRY.

I’ve found there is one behind every tree :cool:

It takes my system a few days to adjust to the Spanish cuisine but after that things normalize and bathroom emergencies during the day are few and far between. Of course, as guys, we have a slight advantage when it comes to relieving non-emergency bathroom issues, then the tree comment becomes actually true. My wife has a ‘device’ that allows her to ‘go like a guy’ for non-emergencies, seems to work ok per her comments. During the winter months this is pretty important because many/most places you pass by are closed... in spring we didn’t have any issues however.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

There are few public toilets (as we know them in Australia) to be found along the CF - there were a couple that we saw, but certainly not enough to keep one nice.

Every Bar/cafe seemed to have a toilet - for the use by customers. This is not unreasonable as they cost time and money to maintain, and a stop for a purchase and then isn't a bad idea to help the feet.. We did see one (attempted) free-loader given short-shrift by the bar managed for wanting to use the toilet for free.. One other establishment had installed a remote-operated lock on the toilet door - presumably because of free-loaders.

As other posters have mentioned, every tree/bush/pile of rocks/maize crop is a potential toilet - and these can get very festy.... Use them at your peril (but, yes, there are time when you have to - just don't expect it to be nice).

Always worth packing a half roll of toilet paper for either when you get caught short between cafe/bar/albergue toilets or when the supplied toilet paper has run out - it is only another 80 gms or so, and can save a whole heap of embarrassment.

I could also suggest adding a small plastic spade to to backpack to help keep the outside toilets nice, but.....

I can't comment on the distance (I did the Norte), but do carry a small amount of toilet paper or tissues (they work especially well). As well as a little baggy to put the used product in until you get to the next stop.

A lot of people use the TP in the bar washroom and then take a few extra sheets for good luck - as a result the bars go through a lot of TP and tend to run out!

I squatted. Frequently. I had some bladder issues that meant for some frequent exploration of corn fields and looking for semi private forested areas. I learned to drink my coffee, sit for a few minutes, and then relieve myself before leaving. It wasn't enough all the time, but I wasn't prepared to give up on coffee! Or water for that matter.

I enjoyed the freedom of the woods, and getting over the nervousness of being without a potty. Live and learn.

One other recommendation that might not apply to the CF - there was a lot of stinging nettle on the Norte. Mixed in with the Mint. If this applies on the CF, learn to tell the difference before you squat. Please.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Having had IBS stop me travelling for many years I can say that I didn't have a single problem on the CF. There are bathrooms galore and all available for a single purchase, whether it be a soft drink, a piece of fruit or whatever. You can use them and not pay, but that seems just wrong.

I found that walking every day kept my IBS at bay. Only overnight stops in hotels where I felt obliged to eat big breakfasts of cereals with milk caused problems. But then the hotels all had en suite facilities.

Buen Camino
Super helpful! Thank you!!!

In the busier seasons a lot more is open. But take your own toilet paper, when the bars/cafes are busy, they don't get time to replace the paper.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
May I suggest tp baby wipes(small) plastic bags for disposal of the emergency. Nothing worse than a assortment of used tp in a farmers field . We need to keep the farmers happy as we walk thru their land. I walk the Norte and probably saw 2-3 public toilets on the 900km.

I had the similar health concern myself when I did the Camino Frances in 2016. I found they were plentiful in restaurants/cafes along the way but sometimes they will ask that you buy something. So I would buy something small and then ask to use the washroom.
But I recall two days of long walks with very few places:
1: From San Bol to San Anton (stage 14 in J.Brierley book) had long open fields and mud when I did it.
2: From Carrion de los Condes to Calzadilla de la Cueza (stage 17 in J.Birierley book) had long walks through beautiful open grassland. Cafe Movil is halfway a good place for a rest.
Otherwise for the most part its not too far to the next town.
Had bigger problem because many places did not allow my chicken inside and I had to ask fellow pilgrims to watch my chicken for me. :)

Last edited:
Mother nature provides plenty of opportunities to toilet along the path. But, please please please put the soiled tissue in a plastic bag and take away with you. The disgusting sights I witnessed last year on the Camino Francés were appalling and doesn't give the locals a good impression of pilgrims.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bathrooms? Hmm. Outside of towns and villages, Mother Nature provides. Strategic manoeuvering, with malice aforethought, ie toilet roll and a strong rubbish bag and something to act as a hole digger, and a pack of wipes, and off you go. If possible, DON’T WORRY.

I carry a very lightweight aluminum camping / hiking hand spade for this purpose. It weighs just 17 grams. In five caminos, I have only needed it once. But it was worth its weight in gold when I did find the need...:eek:

I dig a small hole, do what needs to be done, and burn the paper in the hole, using the Bic mini-lighter I carry for times when a flame is needed. Then, I use some of my water to douse the ashes and fill in the hole. The result is as if I was never there...which is the whole point.

NOTE: I am editing this to reflect that the above is the emergency Plan B, ONLY for when planning ahead fails...;)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I too have digestive issues and found the following routine helpful -
Get up and walk for a few hours. Usually we found a town and stopped for breakfast. Use the bathroom. Walk for a few hours and stop for lunch. Use the bathroom. Walk for a few hours and end the day. I never had to use a bush or felt the need for an emergency stop. I am not comfortable running to the woods and even though I packed emergency tp and plastic baggies, it was a relief to keep my dignity intact..... I also met a man who had just had colon surgery and he was doing well on the trail too. Don’t let this stop you!

I had the similar health concern myself when I did the Camino Frances in 2016. I found they were plentiful in restaurants/cafes along the way but sometimes they will ask that you buy something. So I would buy something small and then ask to use the washroom.
But I recall two days of long walks with very few places:
1: From San Bol to San Anton (stage 14 in J.Brierley book) had long open fields and mud when I did it.
2: From Carrion de los Condes to Calzadilla de la Cueza (stage 17 in J.Birierley book) had long walks through beautiful open grassland. Cafe Movil is halfway a good place for a rest.
Otherwise for the most part its not too far to the next town.
Had bigger problem because many places did not allow my chicken inside and I had to ask fellow pilgrims to watch my chicken for me. :)
And that long 17km from Carrion has a horse and cart you can take.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
While on the Camino, I took a daily dose of 400 mg of Magnesium in the mornings after breakfast.
As I soon was to find out, it can have a laxative effect.
For me, though, that turned out to be quite handy: Every morning, straight out of bed, I had to literally run for the bathroom – but I then was done for the day, businesswise :) So the timing for me was perfect.
I'm not sure it would work out quite the same way for everybody else. Wouldn't have wanted to feel that urge any other time of the day while walking...
For my other toilet needs, I never had any trouble getting to the next bar or my next albergue.

I used to bury it but have evolved out of that process.

Favour rewards the prepared mind. Without knowing the answers to questions already asked, prepare for no bathrooms. Sounds harsh doesn't it? Really, the only thing I would not recommend carrying is a shovel / trowel to bury the business. Instead, it is much more conscious to bag it up and carry it out to be deposited in a trash bin.

TP? Yes. Wipes? Yes. Doggy business type bags? Yes. Burying instrument? No.

There are facilities in bars, cafes, even some stores, hotels, some parks, shopping malls, markets, IT offices, etc.
Some towns have a toilet in the town square or town park.
That is when you are in a town or city.

It is nice to leave a few cents on the bar before going in to the throne. Or leave few cents on exiting.
OR, buy something at the cafe/bar. Then hit the throne. i.e. coffee, beer, roll, toast, candy, etc.

Keep few coins handy when in bus stations in Spain and Portugal! There is a small fee to use the throne in some of the bus stations.

Also may be a few "pay to go" thrones in train stations.

So best to always have a few coins handy.

Always have your own tissue handy. See tip below if you don't have your own tissue in a bar.

If not option is to Poop in the woods...

Good reads: https://gizmodo.com/how-to-poop-in-the-woods-1599311733

Good tips for doing poop in the woods.

Yep, there is lots of it on, rather off to the side, of the camino.

If you must, please have and use a trowel. Dig a cat hole. and like a cat cover it.
OR, bag it out. You can buy special poo bags for this deed.

When walking the Frances there was lots of TP and poop in the bushes and behind rocks. Most not covered up.

As stated above, most towns have a cafe or bar. And facilities are available there.

If you gotta to go, you gotta go. But cover it up please.

Tip: if out of TP and going into a cafe or bar, grab a few napkins in the cafe/bar before entering the throne room. In a emergency it works. Leave a little tip if possible.

I laugh when people for their first time use a "bomb sight" squat toilet in Spain.
Yep, they are still in use. Just aim well. No one will break the toilet seat! LOL

http://www.toiletinspector.com/toilet-designs/squat-toilets

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Should you find yourself in desperate need of a toilet, I guarantee the closest one will be at least 6 km away...

For those trying to adjust their timing - do work out the time difference between home and Spain. Other wise you might be wanting to go in the night :(. Personally working round to late afternoon Spanish time works well :).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Been noted in several other posts, but it bears repeating: Pack it in, pack it out! Take a baggie so you can finish the day with the same number of tissues you started with. And not just from bathroom breaks. When we did the CF, we couldn't believe how many people just casually dropped tissues right on the trail itself (from runny noses and not from actually urinating right there, hopefully).

I think when you get your credential stamped in SJPdP, they should also hand out a box of biodegradable tissues, as well. :)

Tp is added to my packing list. Thanks!
There has been a lot of discussion on Facebook groups (and probably here too) about a litter problem on the various routes as many people just discard the tp. I have a weak bladder so knew I'd be needing to go frequently but in early May the Portuguese coastal was very light on with few open bars, cafes, let alone public toilets. The few were firmly padlocked. I took a zip lock bag with a damp cloth / pee rag, rinsed it at each opportunity and scrubbed thoroughly each night. No tp needed at all.

Ive got Crohn's Disease (diagnosed 40 years ago this weekend), ive walked the last 100 or so km on both the Frances and Portuguese with no problems. Walking the whole of a Camino might be another story. I take Questran every morning and have plenty of Loperamide with me just in case. Ask your Dr or Pharmacist if you can get some Questran (if youre not already using it).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Dont worry plenty of bushes on wahttps://m.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/when-she-wakes-up-she-has-nowhere-to-go-meghan-markle-is-overwhelmed-by-confines-of-royal-life-36616017.htmysome villages 12 to 17 km apart so dont worry everybody in same boat. Enjoy buencamino

Do not worry. Nobody on Camino can control same. Plenty of bushes on way. A lot of sections 12/17 km a from bathroom to bathroom. All trekkers all over the world the same. In any cafe services available buen camino

On the Camino Frances they are few and far between if you are looking for man-made facilities. As the CF is the most travelled route I would expect the others to be even less available. Fortunately nature provides screening in many places. If coffee is your issue don't drink it..... I don't like coffee so I didn't drink it at all and nobody thought that was strange. While everyone else was drinking coffee I was drinking tea.

On another topic I brought a "go girl" device for female's to pee in the great outdoors but I didn't use it once...... to much of a hassle to use when geared up. I'd advise against that. Bring a roll of toilet paper and some wet wipes; you won't the the first and you wont' be the last to have an accident on the trail. I speak from experience.....you just figure things out. I found a pharmacy somewhere along the route and they has some tablets (red) Fortasec 2mg that I used and that helped immensely.

If I could encourage you to do the walk; don't let this issue stop you.....the benefits/pain/experience.... emotional, physical, mental are life changing and worth anything you may fear at this moment.

Most used equipment for me....and I am now digressing.... walking sticks, a small cloth attached to my backpack front strap....used for everything from wiping you sweaty brow to cleaning hands to soaking up water on a wet bench and a light-coloured cap with flaps that drape over your shoulders. Buen Camino

If it looks like a handy place to do your business (behind a tree rock or building) guaranteed others have had the same idea.
If it looks muddy, chances are it's not mud.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can
I carry a very lightweight aluminum camping / hiking hand spade for this purpose. It weighs just 17 grams. In five caminos, I have only needed it once. But it was worth its weight in gold when I did find the need...:eek:

I dig a small hole, do what needs to be done, and burn the paper in the hole, using the Bic mini-lighter I carry for times when a flame is needed. Then, I use some of my water to dose the ashes and fill in the hole. The result is as if I was never there...which is the whole point.

NOTE: I am editing this to reflect that the above is the emergency Plan B, ONLY for when planning ahead fails...;)

Hope this helps.
What Tom says makes complete sense. He advices a simple, yet sensitive and rational solution to the problem. It is disgusting to see all toilet paper/remains on the Camino. Leave the Camino as you found it, please, or else ;) :

Littering.jpg

Edit: And it is always a good idea to bring a small roll of toilet paper in the backpack, some small plastic bags for your remains, as well as a pack of sanitary wet napkins for emergency intimate wash,,,

Last edited:

Sometimes, we create big things in our heads. As always had happened to me, The Camino will provide. Rather than over plan and worry about all the details, just start walking, and then worry, if there is a need.

Buen Camino

http://www.toiletinspector.com/toilet-designs/squat-toilets

Glad they haven't got those at Roncesvalles, after walking from SJPDP my knees were a bit stiff - I don't think I could have gotten down that far to have accurate aim!
As a young engineer I worked on a massive water treatment station for Hong Kong and was surprised to see these in some of the toilets and European style ones in others until it was explained squats were for the "locals". Outraged I railed about racist attitudes until a Chinese colleague explained they were preferred since they were more natural and, if kept clean, more hygienic.
And then there was the Middle East and the Lota Pot . . . :eek:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’ve found there is one behind every tree :cool:

It takes my system a few days to adjust to the Spanish cuisine but after that things normalize and bathroom emergencies during the day are few and far between. Of course, as guys, we have a slight advantage when it comes to relieving non-emergency bathroom issues, then the tree comment becomes actually true. My wife has a ‘device’ that allows her to ‘go like a guy’ for non-emergencies, seems to work ok per her comments. During the winter months this is pretty important because many/most places you pass by are closed... in spring we didn’t have any issues however.
I too purchased one of these female urinary devices (as they are called) for my first camino. My husband referred to it as "The whizatoma"! I gave it up for our second trek and resorted to squatting. Alas, an issue with my knee has me contemplating it's return for this year's Camino.

There are lots of toilets in the villages, though sometimes everything is closed. There are also some public toilets-- though, I saw more of those in France not after you cross the border. I brought at spade with me just in case -- and I used it a few times. Also, as I am a woman, and did not always have toilet paper with me, nor did I want to carry it after I used it, I wore a sanitary napkin so I could keep dry. I began with a fresh clean one every morning. -- If you do use toilet paper on the camino, put it in a plastic bag and throw it out when you find a trash can. The amount of used toilet paper blowing around the Frances is disgusting.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, if able to plan, you will for sure reach a village. But when urge strikes hard, and there is another two hours to walk, there is no other option than Mother Nature. But I found out that it was not so cumbersome as I had imagined in advance. Nearly always possible to get well away from the trail to find a suitable spot with sufficient cover, both for #1 and #2. As others have mentioned most hikers know this reality well and will not even raise their eyebrows over it. Walking together with others everyone will understand if someone needs some minutes in privacy.

I dig a small hole, do what needs to be done, and burn the paper in the hole, using the Bic mini-lighter I carry for times when a flame is needed. Then, I use some of my water to douse the ashes and fill in the hole. The result is as if I was never there...which is the whole point.

Hope this helps.
I did a Pig Dig with my esteemed freind t2a back 2016. The mounds of excrement and trash behind some of the rest structures and shade structures was beyond belief. We needed shovels and rakes and a large cart to haul off "your load" to clean up the mess. So if you have to "go" try some place discrete, clean up and bag your mess like you would for your dog along with the tissues and carry them with you to an appropriate disposal bin.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
".nobody notices anybody (or cares) when you have to irrigate a tree/bush or take a squat off the path"

But if using toilet paper, please either bury it or burn it or take it with you. On the Frances there were some utterly disgusting spots very near to the trail. Please be considerate.

@Gerima welcome to the forum - a first post!

Why oh why do people leave toilet paper everywhere? A plastic bag is all that is necessary to carry it out.

I purchased several "female urination devices" a few years ago. Excellent!! Called "Go Girl" Gave to friends. No need to drop pants, or search for miles for a bush! True emancipation! Google search!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I tried the "Go Girl" and found it a a very poor design. No way can you avoid dropping your underclothes to use it and it is difficult. The "Pibella" designed in Switzerland is much better. Brilliantly engineered and it just works. No need to squat or remove pack or clothes.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back