• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How arduous is the climb over the Pyrenees?

wendywohns

How arduous is the climb over the Pyrenees? I am concerned it might be too much for the first day, but then again, it sounds awesome. Thoughts/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you can see both sides of it.....it is hard but it sounds awesome....you will be fine.
It's a wonderful feeling of accomplishment and thousands do it each year. Unless you have specific health or mobility problems, or are doing it when there is snow, just start in SJPdP and keep going until you arrive in Roncevalles.
The last 3 km are pretty severe downhill and it was the worst for us and many others. But gosh, did that beer at the Hotel Roncesvalles ever taste good!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You are right. Starting in SJPP is as beginning to train as a runner with a half marathon. Just imagine...
On the other side, it is a great experience. Being a non-European, I particularly enjoyed crossing a national border without passport or cumbersome migration checks. The landscapes are great, and the feeling when you arrive at Roncesvalles is matchless.
I don't especially insist on training -this is a pilgrimage, not an athletic competion. But if you start in SJPP, it could be a good idea.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
Find the steepest hill you can, now walk up for approximately 5 hours. Fast, slow, doesn't matter. It's a steep climb for a very long time. I trained for more than a year and still found that first first day to be very difficult. Incredibly beautiful, but be prepared to be challenged! However, I'm looking forward to doing it again!!

How arduous is the climb over the Pyrenees? I am concerned it might be too much for the first day, but then again, it sounds awesome. Thoughts/
I had to seriously think hard about this because I was sixty-six years old when I hiked the Pyrenees. I was not a hiker nor a regular walker. I did not want to take any chances. We made a reservation at Orission which is more or less half way up as a stopping point. The Pyrenees for me was more difficult going down than up. It will test your footweare.
Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'd definitely recommend using hiking poles when crossing the mountains, I was certain they helped me greatly when I crossed them. If you're going to be crossing during or after autumn the path down to Roncesvalles is likely to be several inches thick with leaves so you won't be able to see what the ground's like beneath your feet and it's quite uneven so the poles will give you some support if you start losing your balance. It's even worse when the leaves are covered in snow too. You're right though, it was awesome!

I had to seriously think hard about this because I was sixty-six years old when I hiked the Pyrenees. I was not a hiker nor a regular walker. I did not want to take any chances. We made a reservation at Orission which is more or less half way up as a stopping point. The Pyrenees for me was more difficult going down than up. It will test your footweare.
Buen Camino.

Its pretty tough I was about to book in at Orisson but after a short break decided to push on when I seen lots of pilgims march through ,"If they can do it so can I" I said to myself.
After another 5 k i took a rest on the side of a mountain and closed my eyes, two passing french pilgrims rushed over to me they thought I was dead "I looked that bad", after satisfying my rescuer,s they moved on looking a little disapointed.
It,s tough but totally rewarding.

Take it easy.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
It isnt technically hard. But its "up" and then its "down".
The best advise I got and it worked brilliantly, was to take little steps and if it gets harder...take even smaller steps. Walking poles also helped.

But...the best decision I made (apart from staying in Orrisson) was for the decent, taking the path to the right into Roncesvalles. It was down a little road and less chance of slipping on tree roots or slippery leaves.
Hey Lise, how long did it take you from SJPdP to Orrisson? I plan on booking Orrisson the 1st night. Pretty scared as I am not use to walking step hills with a backpack!! :(

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's a long but beautiful slog. If you can keep a sense of humor about it you'll be fine... Stock up on some jokes and tell other pilgrims as you pass or they pass you. I met the Smile Doctor while crossing the Pyrenees. He was hiking dressed like a clown, passing out paper smiles glued to ice cream sticks. He had one for every kilometer on the CF SJPP to Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
...The best advise I got and it worked brilliantly, was to take little steps and if it gets harder...take even smaller steps...

Heed this sage advice, people!
How does a bicycle or car get up steep inclines?
You've got to drop into low gears.
It seems paradoxical, but the more steps you take going uphill, the easier the ascent will be.
Don't lunge and attempt big strides. You'll only strain muscles that way.
The tip to zig-zag downhill is also worth taking on board.
I think somebody on this Forum once said, "If you've the choice between taking one step or two over rough terrain, take three".

Hey Clearskies.....if you take the path to the right as you start to desend...it is easier on your knees and the fatigued brain. You just follow a small road all the way.

Thanks Lise, I'll be keeping an eye out for the path alright. I love ascents on the otherhand.

It isnt technically hard. But its "up" and then its "down".
The best advise I got and it worked brilliantly, was to take little steps and if it gets harder...take even smaller steps. Walking poles also helped.

But...the best decision I made (apart from staying in Orrisson) was for the decent, taking the path to the right into Roncesvalles. It was down a little road and less chance of slipping on tree roots or slippery leaves.
You are sooo right about the path to the right!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I haven't walked this part of the Camino (yet - we are planning that section for our return), but when I hike in general, I find the downhill sections to be the most problematic. Up hill is hard, but you just keep climbing and climbing - slow and steady. The muscles get tired, but you can rest and and stretch periodically, then keep going. And tired muscles repair themselves quickly after a day of climbing. Down hill is a bear on the joints though, and if the trail is rocky or rooty, it can be hard.

I didn't go over the Pyrenees the first time but all those I met who did loved it.... I am looking forward to it this year.

It's a long but beautiful slog. If you can keep a sense of humor about it you'll be fine... Stock up on some jokes and tell other pilgrims as you pass or they pass you. I met the Smile Doctor while crossing the Pyrenees. He was hiking dressed like a clown, passing out paper smiles glued to ice cream sticks. He had one for every kilometer on the CF SJPP to Santiago.
Hopefully I meet the smile doctor along the way :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm going to weigh in on this one and say the walk from SJPP to Roncesvalles is different for everyone. I have personally done that walk seven times, always with a stop at Orisson. I've talked to dozen of pilgrims before, during, and after they've covered the 26 or so kilometers. Some people have absolutely no trouble and wonder why on earth you would bother to stop just 8 kms into the walk. Others crawl or hobble into Roncesvalles after a grueling two days on the trail. Most people fall somewhere in between the two extremes. But sadly, I've seen too many people give up by the time they reach Pamplona, mostly because they underestimated the challenge of the Pyrenees.

The best advice I can give is to know your own abilities and limitations. Know your needs for pace, distance, food, water, rest, and camaraderie. The best way to discover these things, I think, is to do what others have suggested and try out some hills/mountains in your area. And then I would say, err on the side of caution for those first few days.

Then pack light, take your time, and enjoy the gorgeous vistas!

[QUOTE="

The best advice I can give is to know your own abilities and limitations. Know your needs for pace, distance, food, water, rest, and camaraderie. The best way to discover these things, I think, is to do what others have suggested and try out some hills/mountains in your area. And then I would say, err on the side of caution for those first few days. ![/QUOTE]

Further to that the Canadian Alpine club has a rating system which rates the difficulty of hike/climbs.

http://alpineclubottawa.ca/?q=node/15

note that this group would carry more gear (tents, food ext) therefore it is not an exact comparison but you can see how they rate the difficulty based on distance and total elevation climb. Obviously there is no trail blazing going on for a pilgrim so having done the climb on the Camino Frances I would think this is a 3 or 4 comparably which they rank for novices. I think you will be fine if you take preventative steps against blisters and are in average condition. I can not express in words how underestimated the concept of foot care seems to be despite the thousands of threads in the forum discussing logical and easy preventative care for this problem. Also I would recommend stretching before and after a days walk. Walking in a zig zag pattern as you descent seems to take the pressure off your knees but if it is raining the trail gets so slippery this is not always possibly so if you think it will be a problem possibly take the paved path down but you will miss a beautiful hike.

Have fun and lets us know how you make out!

Buen Camino!

That first day I encountered so any people that were under prepared climbing the hills. New boots, no training, ill-fitting backpacks etc. I passed so any more that first day than on any other day - so I often wonder did they give up?

As long as you have trained and worn in your boots I'm sure you will be fine.

If you have doubt, you can organise to have your backpack shipped to Roncesvalles and just carry a day pack with water, snacks etc.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did not find the climb difficult. I had a good dry day in May, not too hot. I reached Roncesvalles in under 6 hours and the next day I walked 38k to Trinidad de Arre. I reached Santiago in 30 days.
My principal need every day was getting enough to eat, I was always hungry. I am an experienced hillwalker but I am 64 years of age.Many pilgrims of my vintage that I met along the way arrived in Santiago the same day as me. I was very impressed with them as they did not have the hillwalking experience that I have.

So don't wear yourself down worrying. If it is a wet day maybe consider the lower route. I walked the lower route before on a very wet day.

Good Luck

I plan on booking Orrisson the 1st night. Pretty scared as I am not use to walking step hills with a backpack!! :(

That's a wise move. I've attached a PDF file of the elevation of each stage of the Camino and as you'll see the first day is a whopper. :)

You can download it by clicking on the link below. Have fun! ;)

Attachments

• SJPP to Santiago Stage Profiles.pdf
    210.2 KB · Views: 64
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Interesting. Can anyone find a video of the Sherpa Step technique. I found a text description that described it as 'goose' stepping downhill, so that weight is always placed on a straight leg.

Weight should NOT be on a straight leg -- that's a prescription for knee pain. Here's a description of Sherpa downhill technique: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...ums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=44551

Speaking of which I saw A LOT of people with straight stiff legs going downhill last year when I walked Leon-Santiago. No wonder a lot of knees get injured on the Camino. Before leaving I had focused on getting strong legs by lifting weights and I think that helped me a lot. I didn't experience sore legs at all (let's not talk about my lower back though...) and my thighs were strong enough to carry me when I walked downhill. Bending the knee and putting the weight on the thighs did wonders for me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My friend and I will be walking out of SJPdP on September 3rd. We have been training and planning for more than a year. Since the very beginning my friend has been most concerned with crossing the Pyrenees. We waiver between crossing in one day, staying in Orrison, stopping at Orrison and taxi back to SJPdP overnight - we can walk for three hours discussing this topic! It is nuts - as of this moment our plan is SJPdP to Roncesvalles in one day but sending our packs ahead and walking with day packs only. I fear that with six weeks to go we will change our minds at least six more times! I just want to walk - I am so ready to get started!

Weight should NOT be on a straight leg -- that's a prescription for knee pain. Here's a description of Sherpa downhill technique: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...ums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=44551
My friend and I will be walking out of SJPdP on September 3rd. We have been training and planning for more than a year. Since the very beginning my friend has been most concerned with crossing the Pyrenees. We waiver between crossing in one day, staying in Orrison, stopping at Orrison and taxi back to SJPdP overnight - we can walk for three hours discussing this topic! It is nuts - as of this moment our plan is SJPdP to Roncesvalles in one day but sending our packs ahead and walking with day packs only. I fear that with six weeks to go we will change our minds at least six more times! I just want to walk - I am so ready to get started!

I look forward to hearing a full report by Day 3, as this is our dilemma too :confused:

Whilst this Forum is a wonderful resource, frequented by some awesome people, having 12 months to plan does I fear, make one 'over think it' to a degree :)

If I was 15 KG lighter, 15 years younger, and a lot fitter I would probably just go next week!

The secret is to get up early and be on the road by 0630, it will give you loads of time to climb and descend.
It took me 6hrs 25 min total walking time.
Take it nice and steady and you will be fine,it is not as daunting as you would think,the only problem you might have is the weather,when I left on the 23rd May is was terrible hail thunder rain strong winds and we still managed it in a good time.
Just take it easy make sure you have enough food to keep the furnace stoked and drink lots of water.
As you will find when you start your adventure it is a mental challenge as well as a physical one.
Good luck and if you have half as much fun as I did you will be a very happy person.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That is a speed of about 4kph for a steep uphill and a slippery downhill. That is not really fast, particularly for Europeans who walk more than Americans, but I think it is faster than the typical first time camino walker who takes regular breaks and airs his/her feet. I have heard hundreds of tales from those who take ten to twelve hours for the crossing (like me). In my opinion only the most fit should plan only six and one-half hours to get to Roncesvalles from SJPdP. Plan "all day" if you want a buffer.;)

That is a speed of about 4kph for a steep uphill and a slippery downhill. That is not really fast, particularly for Europeans who walk more than Americans, but I think it is faster than the typical first time camino walker who takes regular breaks and airs his/her feet. I have heard hundreds of tales from those who take ten to twelve hours for the crossing (like me). In my opinion only the most fit should plan only six and one-half hours to get to Roncesvalles from SJPdP. Plan "all day" if you want a buffer.;)
Which is why we are staying at Orisson!

The secret is to get up early and be on the road by 0630, it will give you loads of time to climb and descend.

Six hours and 25 minutes is a good clip up that mountain, which is an ascent of 1,200 meters, plus another descent of 450 meters on the other side. It's important that people take it easy because even though it's not a difficult trail at all, and in fact a good part of the way up is a paved road, for people who are not used to hiking and long-distance walking, it can really be daunting.

Planning to use the entire day to get to Roncesvalles is a great idea. Plan plenty of rest stops, water stops and a nice place to have lunch. There is absolutely no hurry and the mountains are glorious. I love it up there! :)

Enjoy! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

That was 6hrs 25 minutes walking time I had about 60 minutes of breaks,I had trained but I am 60 years old,that is why I suggested leave early and give yourself maximum time to do the walk,it is well within anyone's grasp if you give yourself time and eat and drink well.

Took me ten hours and seven minutes. Cold, wet, raid, snow and fog on 3 May. No view. Lots of mud. Horrible first day, but I'm still glad I did it. I climbed a mountain! And the next two mountains were easier.

In 2011, because of the weather and a lack of experience, we chose the Valcarlos route. This year we toyed with the idea of staying in Orrisson, but in the end we just did it and we were glad we did. It is not easy but it is not that bad either. We are almost half way through our sixties and we were passed by some while we passed others, often younger, so it seems to be a very individual experience. We were too warm and then too cold, we took the steepest decent, a big mistake, but we had wonderful views, great sense of peace, picnics and a good laugh at ourselves. In the end we felt the experience was both better and easier than Valcarlos, but we are not sure why. Often when I hear questions like this I feel like just saying suck it and see, because that's what we do and it seems to work for us. That having been said We are now in the process of planning for the Portuguese I hope we are still brave enough to suck it and see.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Uphill from SJPP was harder on my lungs than my legs or knees. I live at 5560 ft (1690 m) and regularly walk -- and trained for the Camino -- at that and higher elevations, but in the end I didn't see that that gave me a noticeable advantage. Downhill on the path through the woods was hard on my knees and thighs. If you don't use trekking poles or at least a walking staff anywhere else on the CF, this is one of at least two places where IMO you really need them. (The other is the downhill from the Alto de Perdon.) If I were doing it again, I'd definitely spend the night at Orisson again and I'd take the road down from the pass instead of the path through the woods. All in all, as everyone else has said, the vistas along the Napoleon Route are some of the finest on the entire Camino Frances, and well worth the effort it takes to make the climb.

I'm not sure anyone as done the math in this thread yet, so here it is. A 1200 meter elevation change is 4000 feet UP. Suddenly that seems like an awful lot to me!

I look forward to hearing a full report by Day 3, as this is our dilemma too :confused:

Whilst this Forum is a wonderful resource, frequented by some awesome people, having 12 months to plan does I fear, make one 'over think it' to a degree :)

If I was 15 KG lighter, 15 years younger, and a lot fitter I would probably just go next week!

Yep, changed our minds ... We have a room in SJPdP for Sept2/3 ... We will make a comfortable first day walk as far as Orisson and return to SJPdP by taxi ... Return to Orisson by taxi on the 3rd to continue on to Roncesvalles ... Our decision is based on several factors 1) we have nothing to prove to anyone including ourselves by crossing in one day 2) It is a long day and a half of travel from South Texas to St Jean to walk that far without good rest 3)We are not 'spring chickens' think 'older, rounder hens'! 4) Most importantly, I am on religious pilgrimage - I feel like I need to slow down so I do not miss a single soft whisper from God!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

It is tough, and it is awesome. It can be done by people at a regular level of fitness.

Starting out from Saint Jean Pied de Port is a tough first day but it is what it is, it is part of the exprerience and there is no alternative. I suggest staying at Orisson the first night since you will likely be pretty tired by then. The food is great, the hospitaleros are very pleasant and they made everybody introduce themselves at dinner. It is a good beginning. The climb is challenging but I think the trip down the Spanish side is just as tough on the body. Take your time and enjoy some beautiful scenery and very nice people.

I'm not sure anyone as done the math in this thread yet, so here it is. A 1200 meter elevation change is 4000 feet UP. Suddenly that seems like an awful lot to me!

Just wait till you convert that to cubits!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Starting out from Saint Jean Pied de Port is a tough first day but it is what it is, it is part of the exprerience and there is no alternative. .
Of course there is an alternative: start in Roncesvalles! Anne

Yep, changed our minds ... We have a room in SJPdP for Sept2/3 ... We will make a comfortable first day walk as far as Orisson and return to SJPdP by taxi ... Return to Orisson by taxi on the 3rd to continue on to Roncesvalles ... Our decision is based on several factors 1) we have nothing to prove to anyone including ourselves by crossing in one day 2) It is a long day and a half of travel from South Texas to St Jean to walk that far without good rest 3)We are not 'spring chickens' think 'older, rounder hens'! 4) Most importantly, I am on religious pilgrimage - I feel like I need to slow down so I do not miss a single soft whisper from God!
This is exactly what we are doing. We will walk to Orisson or Pic de Orisson (depending on the weather) on the 5th, get a taxi back to our accommodation. The following morning we will get the 8.00am morning shuttle back up to Orisson or Pic. The price of the shuttle is 8 euros per person.

Buen Camino

We skipped the Pyrenéers because we had not trained for that. The pilgrimage isn't just the P's! You are still a pilgrim if you start in Roncevalles or Pamplona! It's your way of thinking, actually - how you take care of your body and mind that counts! And the P's is not the only place that is breathtaking in beauty! Everybody is different. Only you can decide whats best for You!
And there will still be many km's to go!
Enjoy your walk! I arrived t Santiago july 28s, 400 km between Pamplona n' Santiago.
(Yepp! Some train n' bus cause we took it slowly my 16yrs daughter n' I! But we had a wonderful adventure!)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

It took me 12 hours but I survived. I was 76 years old and had 5 vessel heart by-pass 20 years ago. I exercise 3x a week but not strenuous. You can do it just keep going. Buen Camino!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 1
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back