• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How are the crowds at Roncesvalles right now? April 24, 2018

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Just curious how the crowds are right now in Roncesvalles?
Is it getting busy?
Necessary to book between now and May 1?
Please only answer if you're on the Camino please or you have actual data.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Annie, I don't know if you have the alburgue booking website handy, but here it is in case you do decide to make a reservation. It was fairly straight forward when I made a reservation for September this year.
http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/reservas.php
Thanks Dave. I book every year. I was just wondering how busy it was this week, and if they were turning people away.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Is it necessary to book there? I'll be there early October. Thanks in advance.

It largely depends on the time of day you anticipate arriving, if you're getting there at noon, no problem, 6 maybe a problem. I've arrived sometime between 2 and 3 in both May and July and been fine and seen plenty of people arrive after me. By October unless you're getting in very late I'd imagine you'd be fine.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It largely depends on the time of day you anticipate arriving, if you're getting there at noon, no problem, 6 maybe a problem. I've arrived sometime between 2 and 3 in both May and July and been fine and seen plenty of people arrive after me. By October unless you're getting in very late I'd imagine you'd be fine.

Buen Camino,

Rob.
Thanks for your advice. We're coming from orrison, so seems like we will be ok.

Just curious how the crowds are right now in Roncesvalles?
Is it getting busy?
Necessary to book between now and May 1?
Please only answer if you're on the Camino please or you have actual data.

We stayed there last night. A fellow peregrina said that It was full at municipal albergue. It sure FELT full. Pilgrims on all three floors.

We were in Roncesvalles three days 22Arpil ago and did not have any problem with a getting a bed

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I cannot say whether it's necessary to book a bed at Roncesvalles between now and 1 May but I can say that it is impossible, at the time of writing, to book a bed for 27, 28 and 29 April 2018, ie. this Friday, Saturday and Sunday, because you get the following message:

View attachment 41902

They have plenty more beds that cannot be booked and are given to people as they arrive. This will be a busy weekend, as expected.
As far as I have understood from the training I received because I am going to volunteer in the Roncesvalles Albergue (yahay, totally excited!) the albergue allows 70 reservations per night, on a total of about 220 beds. The rest are for the first come first serve pilgrims. We are still awaiting information on whether the extra accommodation that was closed last year, will be open again this year. I will keep the forum posted on that. I'm in Roncesvalles 31 August-14 September, looking forward to welcoming Forum members!

I’m in Burgos now and started in SJPdP on April 14. For me it is way more crowded than either of my two prior Camino’s; one being the exact dates. I would also suggest staying off the book stages when possible. Leaving Pamplona up to Alto Perdon was like a conga line. I think it would have been great if we had stayed in Cizur Menor or one of the following towns. There are some lovely places to stay in some of the in-between towns. I don’t mean to discourage anyone, the Camino is still a special place.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Burgos was very busy today due to the holiday weekend BUT my wife and I have a four bed bunk room to ourselves in Rabe de las Calzades (18km away), so it’s all location location location! To avoid the feeling of hiking in a long line, we always leave later than everyone else which gives us the trail all to ourselves. While others race to a bed, we meander and end up in the same place. We have yet to see a COMPLETO sign on an albuergue

Is it necessary to book there? I'll be there early October. Thanks in advance.
I assume you are starting in St Jean Pied de Port. I recommend yes, book in advance.
Just to stay on the safe side, I booked the first 5 nights in advance for my Camino last year in September/October. That way, I could avoid any issues of bed availability. Plus it gave me some time to get the feel of things, get over jet lag, etc. After that, I usually either winged it (with no reservation) or booked a night in advance when I found some good wifi (which is fairly plentiful). Never had a problem!
Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back