• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How are things on the Portuguese now?

roamingpaddy

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello ,I am trying to make up my mind if I will do a camino from Porto starting at the end of September this year. are they enough albergues open? Is booking ahead advisable? I have read on other threads about great difficulties getting beds from Sarria to SDC right now, would it be similar for the last 100 km on the Portugese in late September/early October?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have you thought about doing the Camino Sanabres (VDLP) from Ourense? It is a little more than 100K if you want to get a Compostela. According to Gronze virtually all the albergues are open. The are albergues/hostels/pensions that are open if you want break up the long stages between Cea and Outeiro, I will not know until I walk the VDLP later this year how lovely this section is but I am sure it is a far less crowded camino then if you start in Tui. It might be a good alternative.

Have you thought about doing the Camino Sanabres (VDLP) from Ourense? It is a little more than 100K if you want to get a Compostela. According to Gronze virtually all the albergues are open. The are albergues/hostels/pensions that are open if you want break up the long stages between Cea and Outeiro, I will not know until I walk the VDLP later this year how lovely this section is but I am sure it is a far less crowded camino then if you start in Tui. It might be a good alternative.
Good advice - I enjoyed this section immensely .

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you, I will look at this option

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My research so far is off putting for that route as I'm reading reports of overgrowth with lots of thorns and briers due to lack of footfall
I am not sure where you are getting your information regarding this. I have never read that before but that does not mean it is not true. I would recomend gettinng in touch with @peregrina2000, @C clearly or @Kanga who have all walked the VDLP and are a wealth of knowledge. I would also post your findings in a thread on the VDLP forum to see if others have encountered these issues. Take care

I am not sure where you are getting your information regarding this. I have never read that before but that does not mean it is not true. I would recomend gettinng in touch with @peregrina2000, @C clearly or @Kanga who have all walked the VDLP and are a wealth of knowledge. I would also post your findings in a thread on the VDLP forum to see if others have encountered these issues. Take care
I think I read it on Gronze forum, I will try to find it for you

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back