• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How are you dealing with the heat wave?

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
I hope everyone now walking across France is coping OK with the heat wave (canicule). Any tips to share?
I walked part of the VF in a heat wave, so I know how tough it can be. At a few of the places I stayed at, my room was on the top floor, right under the roof, so they were the hottest of all. So my tip is to avoid top floor rooms if possible.
Bob M

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A tip I got from a friend of my daughter: If it’s so hot that you can’t sleep, wet a towel with the coldest water you can manage and drape it over top of your body. Repeat as needed.

Keep a wet bandana tied around your neck; refresh the bandana at every opportunity.

You guys, be careful out there.

A tip I got from a friend of my daughter: If it’s so hot that you can’t sleep, wet a towel with the coldest water you can manage and drape it over top of your body. Repeat as needed.

Keep a wet bandana tied around your neck; refresh the bandana at every opportunity.

I read a variation of this advice on a news website today. It advised people to put their pillowcase and/or pyjamas in the freezer for a short while before retiring to bed. A prize is offered to anyone on the route who achieves this before the end of the week.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
. . . . wet a towel with the coldest water you can manage and drape it over top of your body. Repeat as needed . . . . .

I have used that tip a couple of times, sleeping naked under the towel. If you have a fan in the room it is even better.

Bob M

FWIW, another problem is walking on hot tarmac in a heat wave. A lot of the VF in France is on tarmac, and I could really feel the heat punching up through the soles of my boots. The best tip is to walk on the sandy verge, not the actual tarmac if possible.

I would also criss-cross the road to take advantage of the shade of even a single tree.

Bob M

I hope everyone now walking across France is coping OK with the heat wave (canicule). Any tips to share?
I walked part of the VF in a heat wave, so I know how tough it can be. At a few of the places I stayed at, my room was on the top floor, right under the roof, so they were the hottest of all. So my tip is to avoid top floor rooms if possible.
Bob M
I just completed the full VF a few days ago & it's not just France copping the heat; it was belting hot through Italy as well.
My tip; if you do have access to a freezer, put one of your bottles of water in it overnight. Next day you'll have cooler water for longer & your 'ice brick' can be used to cool your neck, forehead & behind your knees.
Apart from that, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate...it can't be overstated.
Note the 'feels like' temperature in the screenshot below from earlier this month on the VF. Your surroundings (ie concrete, bare earth, rock faces,) can raise the temperature with reflective heat so it could actually be hotter in your vicinity than forecast.
Best wishes to everyone 'out there'.
Take care.
👣 🌏
Screenshot_20190609-140622_Weather.jpg

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

The bandana trick worked for all of my caminos to help. I can't imagine the summer months!... and I walked in April and May!

. . . . My tip; if you do have access to a freezer, put one of your bottles of water in it overnight. Next day you'll have cooler water for longer & your 'ice brick' can be used to cool your neck, forehead & behind your knees. . .

Another great tip.

Here's one more from me: Churches with attached cemeteries will almost always have tap water connected (eg for the garden). I sometimes took a break at such churches and splashed water over my head and neck, then soaked my hat when I was ready to move on. Very invigorating.

Congrats to kazrobbo on completing the VF.

Bob M

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Attachments

• Umbrella_1.png
    Umbrella_1.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Umbrella_2.png
    Umbrella_2.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 20
Another great tip.

Here's one more from me: Churches with attached cemeteries will almost always have tap water connected (eg for the garden). I sometimes took a break at such churches and splashed water over my head and neck, then soaked my hat when I was ready to move on. Very invigorating.

Bob M
Thanks Bob 😊 Agree with you about churches & cemeteries. Plus they usually have seats &/or shade....& are peaceful...good places to head all round!
👣 🌏

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And of course, start early and shorten your stages, if the time allows you to do so. We've been starting about 5h30 and finishing by 10h-11h and still get a good 20km done.
Hope the heat isn't hitting you too hard Caminka. 🌞
If you're getting in to your destination by mid to late morning, what do you do until you can access your accommodation? Or do you find a shady spot & ride out the hottest part of the day & then walk some more? I actually prefer to walk through the heat of the day (taking all due precautions of course) rather than having to kill time.
Always interested in people's walking 'style'...especially other experienced walkers such as yourself who've had the time & km's to sort out what works or suits you.
Sempre avanti!
👣 🌏

Last edited:
If you're getting in to your destination by late morning, what do you do until you can access your accommodation? Or do you find a shady spot & ride out the hottest part of the day & then walk some more?
I actually prefer to walk through the heat of the day (taking all due precautions of course) rather than having to kill time.
Always interested in other people's walking 'style'...especially experienced walkers such as yourself who've had the time & km's to sort out what works or suits.
Sempre avanti!
👣 🌏
I'm with you...what do you do if you arrive at mid morning??!! Most hotels in spain are p retty lenient and let you register fairly early but albergues, which i now avoid,much less so. I remember on the portuguese i got a hotel opposite the a lbergue and saw people lined up for 3 hours waiting for it to open and many were turned away because of limited beds.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm in Verona for the opera festival, but the original plan was to spend the days walking the Vía Postumia to Mantua via Lake Garda to see if I want to do a longer stretch one autumn.

However, today's l'Arena newspaper had the splash "Verona, il giorno pìu caldo di sempre; oggi e per 48 ore il picco con 40 grade percepti" (hottest day ever in Verona, 40° expected today and for the next 48 hours") with an inside headline of "oggi giorno di fuoco".

So I think I might just have a look at the Scaglieri tombs and the cooler churches, and have a glass or two of prosecco instead.

I'm with you...what do you do if you arrive at mid morning??!! Most hotels in spain are p retty lenient and let you register fairly early but albergues, which i now avoid,much less so. I remember on the portuguese i got a hotel opposite the a lbergue and saw people lined up for 3 hours waiting for it to open and many were turned away because of limited beds.
With you right back Omar. My personal preference is to not stay in pilgrim hostels/albergues (for many reasons), unless there's no other practical choice.
I contact my chosen accommodation to see the earliest I can check-in & work my walking day around that. I generally find accom providers very understanding of a walkers needs (this was certainly so on the VF) & willing to assist with early arrival.
I too witnessed the same situation you mentioned on the CP (at Ponte de Lima) & other places on other walks. We're all individuals & seek different experiences from our walks & thankfully there are generally options to suit.
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
With you right back Omar! My personal preference is to not stay in pilgrim hostels/albergues. I contact my chosen accommodation to see the earliest I can check-in & work my walking day around that. I generally find accom providers very understanding of a walkers needs (this was certainly so on the VF) & willing to assist with early arrival.
I too witnessed the same situation you mentioned on the CP (at Ponte de Lima) & other places on other walks. We're all individuals & seek different experiences from our walks & thankfully there are generally options to suit.
👣 🌏
You are right about different options for different people. I stay almost exclusively in municipals, donativos, and albergues. I stayed in the municipal albergue in Ponte de Lima. I think I waited about 1 1/2 or 2 hours for it to open. But I met so many really nice people and had such a great time the day. Waiting for it to open and that evening with my new friends. Lots of times you can just leave your pack and go get a drink or a snack if you want. Just take your valuables. Which you should do wherever you sleep. For me a night every 2 weeks in a hostel is nice but I do love staying in most albergues. But I also don't walk in peak season and never go anywhere without my earplugs.

My tip: Get a decent map that shows water stops. Stop and get water.

If you can access Open Street Map for Cyclists you get this for the Aosta Valley

2mqkdvb.jpg

A standard map and even the standard OSM doesn't show these. Made a real difference earlier this month when it was not as hot as it is now.

6dth78.jpg

Small mercies...but then again it is Melbourne...in winter... 🤭

How badly I would like to be walking in Europe right now. Maybe on Jakobsweg in the mountains of Austria again. It was TWO DEGREES ❄ a few mornings ago! How can any human being endure such an extremity of winter??

Bob M

My tip: Get a decent map that shows water stops. Stop and get water.

If you can access Open Street Map for Cyclists you get this for the Aosta Valley

2mqkdvb.jpg

A standard map and even the standard OSM doesn't show these. Made a real difference earlier this month when it was not as hot as it is now.

6dth78.jpg

Great maps! I use Locus Maps, which are based on OSM in many cases. Great detail, including drinking fountains in many places. The screenshots of a part of my recorded track in Foggia will give you an idea of the detail.

Bob M

Attachments

• VF-Sud-in-Foggia.jpg
    VF-Sud-in-Foggia.jpg
    933 KB · Views: 16
  • Closeup on VF nel Sud.jpg
    Closeup on VF nel Sud.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bob M
Nice to hear from you @BobM !
I’m walking the VF again from Gd st Bernard to Rome (hopefully) and dreading this new heatwave as I walked it the last time during ‘Lucifer’.... Hoping not to repeat the experience 😱
What are your plans 😎? Or are you just enjoying a rest?

Nice to hear from you @BobM !
I’m walking the VF again from Gd st Bernard to Rome (hopefully) and dreading this new heatwave as I walked it the last time during ‘Lucifer’.... Hoping not to repeat the experience 😱
What are your plans 😎? Or are you just enjoying a rest?
Hi domigee:) I hope you cross (or crossed) the Po River with Danilo - if he is still running his ferry service. Danilo is the exact opposite of Charon ferrying the dead across the River Styx in Greek mythology.

You are an indefatigable walker. You should talk to kazrobbo - another indefatigable walker who has walked the 88 Temple Pilgrimage in Japan, among other things.

As for me, I am still obsessing about walking to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv or maybe Ashdod, but time is marching on. There are still no ships (other than a couple of cruise tours) from Cyprus to Tel Aviv. and when I email contacts in Israel for help re accommodation, I get zero response, not even from https://www.lametayel.co.il/aboutus. Maybe its a language issue. Although its not ideal from a weather point of view, I am thinking of doing the walk in early December by just turning up and figuring it out on the ground.

Bob M

Several of my posts appear to have been removed from this thread. I have not been informed why this action has been taken. Who is the moderator responsible for this thread?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi domigee:) I hope you cross (or crossed) the Po River with Danilo - if he is still running his ferry service. Danilo is the exact opposite of Charon ferrying the dead across the River Styx in Greek mythology.

You are an indefatigable walker. You should talk to kazrobbo - another indefatigable walker who has walked the 88 Temple Pilgrimage in Japan, among other things.

As for me, I am still obsessing about walking to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv or maybe Ashdod, but time is marching on. There are still no ships (other than a couple of cruise tours) from Cyprus to Tel Aviv. and when I email contacts in Israel for help re accommodation, I get zero response, not even from https://www.lametayel.co.il/aboutus. Maybe its a language issue. Although its not ideal from a weather point of view, I am thinking of doing the walk in early December by just turning up and figuring it out on the ground.

Bob M
Yes, I crossed the Po with Danilo and hope to do it again 🙂 (Nowadays I usually add ‘if the Lord spares me’ 😂😉).
Such a shame my blog was lost, I can’t remember the names of the places where I stayed between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.... One place was a big shopping complex about 15km from Tel Aviv (with a swish hotel, middle of nowhere) and the other two (or three?) stops were in kibbutz.... One was in a Jewish/Palestinian/Arab community I recall 😳 Neve Shalom? The last one about 14 km away from Jerusalem , Tzuba? (Unfortunately prices are on a par with London over there btw 😳).
I also walked it beg. of December and the weather was fine except on the last day to Jerusalem - biblical rain! 😳

Yes, I crossed the Po with Danilo and hope to do it again 🙂 . . . Such a shame my blog was lost, I can’t remember the names of the places where I stayed between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. . . . I also walked it beg. of December and the weather was fine except on the last day to Jerusalem - biblical rain! 😳

So glad you met Danilo.:). What an institution. If you trawl back through his big 'guest book' to June 21, 2014 you will find my name along with the two ladies who crossed with me. See pics. Very nostalgic for me to see those people again.😢

I made notes from your posts at the time of the places you stayed at in Israel, so I have that to work on. Great pity about losing your blog. I am obsessing more about my little stroll 🚸 to Jerusalem than about my other walks. It's not healthy.😟

Bob M

Attachments

• Boarding-Danilo's-boat.jpg
    Boarding-Danilo's-boat.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Signing-Danilo's-book.jpg
    Signing-Danilo's-book.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 26
So glad you met Danilo.:). What an institution. If you trawl back through his big 'guest book' to June 21, 2014 you will find my name along with the two ladies who crossed with me. See pics. Very nostalgic for me to see those people again.😢

I made notes from your posts at the time of the places you stayed at in Israel, so I have that to work on. Great pity about losing your blog. I am obsessing more about my little stroll 🚸 to Jerusalem than about my other walks. It's not healthy.😟

Bob M
There are worse things you can do than be obsessed with your next walk Bob; I don't think it's unhealthy...unless you don't actually do anything about it 😉
As per our previous email conversations, I have since wiped the INT from my list. I watched Sara Dhooma's vlogs of her trek & realised its beyond my capabilities & what I'd enjoy. I still have Israel on The List to walk so will follow what you do/how you go with great interest. Also @timr is making his way there in segments.
Oh...& Danilo is still ferrying pilgrims. I crossed the Po with him (& a Swiss-German lady with a dog & towing a cart...made getting down the ramp interesting!) on May 20th, in the pouring rain; not pleasant in a speed boat with no cabin but certainly unforgettable & a good laugh!
Good luck with your research.
👣 🌏

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Take care out there - one cooling tip is to hold wrists together, insides up, and pour cool water slowly over them (have water poured over them or use a tap of course). Blood vessels are closest to the surface there so the blood gets cooled as it pumps through the body.

Really cools the core down, very refreshing - is helpful for those dizzy from heat too, whilst they sit.

one cooling tip is to hold wrists together, insides up, and pour cool water slowly over them (have water poured over them or use a tap of course). Blood vessels are closest to the surface there so the blood gets cooled as it pumps through the body. Really cools the core down.

That's a new idea for me. Makes sense. There is a somewhat analogous view re keeping the kidney region warm to prevent heat loss in cold weather. See one perspective at Keep kidneys warm.

Another tip: dress like a Tuareg. Desert dwellers are not stupid. They have worked out over centuries that voluminous clothes swathing the body and head work best in the fierce desert heat.

I have not researched the reason, but one possibility is that loose clothes tend to trap air around the body, so that evaporating sweat is retained to some extent, thereby reducing evaporative water loss. Many of us tend to throw off our clothes (figuratively speaking) in hot weather. It's exactly the wrong thing to do. The breeze might feel refreshing on your bare skin as it evaporates sweat, but it is hastening water loss - a great evil.🏜

Which segues nicely into a grosser tip 🚻: Examine your urine. Pale straw colour is good; dark urine not good - drink more! And if you stop urinating, very bad - you are severely dehydrated and the body is going into emergency mode.

Bob M

Last edited:
Within the last few days I've come out of the Aosta Valley, but there was one day when the high was supposed to have been 106 degrees, and I had booked at the "Forte di Machaby" for that evening not knowing at what altitude that was going to be (should've probably guessed based on the name of the place). Lesson learned there - if I'm ever in the mountains again and booking unknown accomodation I should probably have a more specific idea of where it is. In this case Il Forte di Machaby required an hour-long climb at the end of a hot, sweaty and difficult day. My shirt was entirely drenched with sweat and I ran out of water on the way up. However - the Forte turned out to be a great place to stay and an unforgettable experience so I don't regret that decision despite my complaining. Funny how that works out sometimes. Right now I'm in San Germano Vercellese and the high today was supposed to have been 95.

Within the last few days I've come out of the Aosta Valley, but there was one day when the high was supposed to have been 106 degrees, and I had booked at the "Forte di Machaby" for that evening not knowing at what altitude that was going to be (should've probably guessed based on the name of the place). Lesson learned there - if I'm ever in the mountains again and booking unknown accomodation I should probably have a more specific idea of where it is. In this case Il Forte di Machaby required an hour-long climb at the end of a hot, sweaty and difficult day. My shirt was entirely drenched with sweat and I ran out of water on the way up. However - the Forte turned out to be a great place to stay and an unforgettable experience so I don't regret that decision despite my complaining. Funny how that works out sometimes. Right now I'm in San Germano Vercellese and the high today was supposed to have been 95.
Well done and glad you were ok. You’ve earned a well-deserved rest and a cool drink! 😎
Your post rang a bell because I remember that at the end of every (or so it seemed at the time! )long day in Italy, the place I was staying for the night was inevitably on top of a very steep hill! 😳😁
What I can’t understand is WHY I am walking it again this year... 🤔🙄🤨

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Besides the common sense start early, end early advice, and avoidong direct sun, it helps to know that heat is lost fastest from head and extremities. So the head, neck, and wrists (as David suggests) are the places to cool first. I sometimes get some extra ice if I stop at a bar and put it under my hat.
And at night, if you have access to a freezer, freeze your full bottles for the next day - you get cooler water to drink, and if need be they can be used for refreshing cold packs on the inside of the wrists and neck where there are major blood vessels near the surface.

That's a new idea for me. Makes sense. There is a somewhat analogous view re keeping the kidney region warm to prevent heat loss in cold weather. See one perspective at Keep kidneys warm.

Another tip: dress like a Tuareg. Desert dwellers are not stupid. They have worked out over centuries that voluminous clothes swathing the body and head work best in the fierce desert heat.

I have not researched the reason, but one possibility is that loose clothes tend to trap air around the body, so that evaporating sweat is retained to some extent, thereby reducing evaporative water loss. Many of us tend to throw off our clothes (figuratively speaking) in hot weather. It's exactly the wrong thing to do. The breeze might feel refreshing on your bare skin as it evaporates sweat, but it is hastening water loss - a great evil.🏜

Which segues nicely into a grosser tip 🚻: Examine your urine. Pale straw colour is good; dark urine not good - drink more! And if you stop urinating, very bad - you are severely dehydrated and the body is going into emergency mode.

Bob M

Yes, great advice to cover up. Best outfit I came up with in heat was silk long underwear next to skin, then merino t shirt then UV long sleeve tech shirt, long hiking pants. The silk layer would wick away my sweat and create a cooling effect as air moved through the wet fabric. I kept everything except my face covered including trekking gloves. Needed very little sunscreen. On the Portugese I wore a shemagh and would get it wet and wrap it over my head covering my neck.
The top cervical spine on the neck is your body’s thermostat. Keep that warm in cold and cool in heat with a neck wrapping.
Good to go and I never had dehydration.

. . . .On the Portugese I wore a shemagh and would get it wet and wrap it over my head covering my neck. . . .

I have never thought of using a shemagh (aka Keffiyeh), but it's a great idea for lots of reasons apart from heat.

See Pics of shemaghs. They come in incredible variety.

Bob M

If you're getting in to your destination by mid to late morning, what do you do until you can access your accommodation? Or do you find a shady spot & ride out the hottest part of the day & then walk some more? I actually prefer to walk through the heat of the day (taking all due precautions of course) rather than having to kill time.
Always interested in people's walking 'style'...especially other experienced walkers such as yourself who've had the time & km's to sort out what works or suits you.
Sempre avanti!
👣 🌏
Mostly the accommodations have been very accommodating. I called upon arrival and someone came with the key. :)
If not, I found a shady spot near a drinking fountain, possibly visited a shop and amused nyself wuth fanfiction. (thank heavens fir smartphones! :D)
I never take long breaks. Longest are possibly half hour. I prefer 10min breaks evety two hours or so.
I certainly prefer walking through heat to the destination first.

I’ve still not had a response from the moderator of this thread who has deleted some of my posts without explanation, either publicly or via PM. I have to confess I’m struggling to continue with membership of this forum in the face of this unforum-like behaviour. Do the right thing, please!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Another great tip.

Bob M

You do not get in trouble for going into the cemeteries?

I found on very hot days on the Catalan that wearing my long-sleeved shirt was much cooler than a Tshirt which exposed my arms and neck to the sun. As well, being a Canadian and therefore (it goes without saying) wearing a Tilley hat, I found that soaking the hat at a fuente provided me with a portable air conditioner for a good half hour or so.

See Pics of shemaghs. They come in incredible variety.

Many are specific to the tribe.
My daughter received one when working in the Sinai.

I wore a very thin silk camisole (it showed how many ‘salts’ I’d lost by the end of the day’s walk 😳 ) and a long sleeved shirt.
Wearing something light next to the skin always feels more comfortable than just a loose shirt/top. Now I know why!
My crystal filled necktie dried out in about 10 minutes! (in October!)

I’ve walked many miles and climbed many hills and mountains in the UK (and in Crete, and France) over the years, but nothing prepared me for Spain! 0° first thing in the morning, 25C by about 11.30.am!
Layers rule!!

Wrists under taps is my go-to in heat, @David 😉
And that advice about keeping the kidneys warm is especially important as we age! 😉

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back