• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD How are you finding meaning in your life during COVID 19?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marbe2

Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2023 walked all or part of CF 11 times
I read part of Ricardo’s poem....

Covid has robbed us of life and time
But it hasn't taken the dream I have
to return to the Camino once more,
that is, when the sun and skies smile anew,
but, for now, I walk wonderously dreaming of that day.

As I read this, I asked myself, and ask you, Has COVID really robbed you of life and time? Are we not alive? Do we not still have time?

Personally, I am reminded of Victor Frankel’s book, Man’s search for meaning. Frankl. chronicled his experiences as a prisoner in concentration camps during World War II, and his theraputic method, which involved identifying a purpose in life to feel positive about.

So what purposes in life are you currently finding? Are there other puposes than walking the Camino?

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So what purposes in life are you currently finding? Are there other puposes than walking the Camino?

Of course there are, at least for me. Just sitting around dreaming and waiting to walk another Camino would be a tedious existence. We all wish the Corona had not happened, but in the words of Gandalf the Grey/Tolkien:

Gandalf.jpg

I’m taking life one day at a time and making the best of it.

Exercise, meditation, improving my Spanish, walking my dog, practicing aikido - I often don’t get everything in my self-imposed daily routine done every day.

Time passes, and with it the prospect of a return to an acceptable ‘normal’ improves.

I’m determined to come out of ‘lockdown’ in better shape than I went into it.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have not read Frankel. I will put it on my list. The famous medieval mystic, St John of the Cross wrote his best poetry while imprisoned under the Spanish Inquisition, forced to lie in his own filth in a dark cell. It is when he had his most illuminating experiences when in the "Dark Night of the Soul." Now, I cannot say that I am in a dark night of the soul, but this video, by Loreena McKennitt, is very uplifting, if it doesn't move you to tears. Per YouTube: "On the beautiful text of St. John of the Cross, Loreena made this sublime song. The devotion of God translated in the devotion of art."

<iframe width="877" height="491" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I read part of Ricardo’s poem....

As I read this, I asked myself, and ask you, Has COVID really robbed you of life and time? Are we not alive? Do we not still have time?

Personally, I am reminded of Victor Frankel’s book, Man’s search for meaning. Frankl. chronicled his experiences as a prisoner in concentration camps during World War II, and his theraputic method, which involved identifying a purpose in life to feel positive about.

An excellent post and question! I preface my response by saying my wife and I are retired, with pensions and social security, and live in a comfortable and safe home with access to beautiful wooded areas for walking, etc. right out our door.
So...I am responding with full awareness that many Camino pilgrims are not so fortunate and are having a much more difficult time right now waiting for the day when they can return to the Camino.
We, too, do not feel that COVID-19 has “robbed us of life and time.” In fact, after being completely isolated for nearly a year, we have found the experience to be a a profoundly deep and spiritually enriching one. In fact we have come to see that we are still “on the Way” spiritually even though we can’t actually be on the literal Camino right now. Our relationships with friends and family continue with the help of the internet, we’ve had more time for reading, cooking, and for the pursuit of our individual interests, and for contemplative prayer and meditation time. We think it is important to recognize that the Camino should not be worshipped as an idol, but rather venerated, like an icon, as a “window” to a deeper view of life. Our two walks on the Frances and the Portuguese have taught us that our entire life journey is a Camino which we continued walking even through the darker days of COVID-19. Buen Camino to all as we look forward to our
next Camino (the Norte’) either Fall, 2021 or Spring, 2022.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Elle Bieling I loved the rendition of The Dark Night performed by L. McKennett.
It Is always amazing to me that JoC was able to compose this under such awful conditions and commit it to memory, as he had no-writing tools.

My favorite has always been his The Spiritual Canticle. How many times on a early dark camino morning or early walk somewhere, have I been graced to experience these words.

(XV
The tranquil night
At the approaches of the dawn,
The silent music,
The murmuring solitude,
The supper which revives, and enkindles love.

Last edited:
@Elle Bieling I loved the rendition of The Dark Night performed by L. McKennett.
It Is always amazing to me that JoC was able to compose this under such awful conditions and commit it to memory, as he had no-writing tools.

My favorite has always been his The Spiritual Canticle. How many times in the early dark camino morning or early walk Elsewhere have I been graced to experience these words.

(XV
The tranquil night
At the approaches of the dawn,
The silent music,
The murmuring solitude,
The supper which revives, and enkindles love.
Beautiful! I will remember this one!

An excellent post and question! I preface my response by saying my wife and I are retired, with pensions and social security, and live in a comfortable and safe home with access to beautiful wooded areas for walking, etc. right out our door.
So...I am responding with full awareness that many Camino pilgrims are not so fortunate and are having a much more difficult time right now waiting for the day when they can return to the Camino.
We, too, do not feel that COVID-19 has “robbed us of life and time.” In fact, after being completely isolated for nearly a year, we have found the experience to be a a profoundly deep and spiritually enriching one. In fact we have come to see that we are still “on the Way” spiritually even though we can’t actually be on the literal Camino right now. Our relationships with friends and family continue with the help of the internet, we’ve had more time for reading, cooking, and for the pursuit of our individual interests, and for contemplative prayer and meditation time. We think it is important to recognize that the Camino should not be worshipped as an idol, but rather venerated, like an icon, as a “window” to a deeper view of life. Our two walks on the Frances and the Portuguese have taught us that our entire life journey is a Camino which we continued walking even through the darker days of COVID-19. Buen Camino to all as we look forward to our
next Camino (the Norte’) either Fall, 2021 or Spring, 2022.
Thank you! We are having a similar experience, financially and life stages wise. We have our own home too, and can walk for miles from outside our own home, with and without our dog. We keep up with families on Facetime. Each day, I am deeply grateful for our circumstances.

We too have also gotten more into a spiritual rhythm during these Covid times and are more focused and mindful of preparing meals, cleaning up, etc. Each main meal seems to be done with a bit more care. More aware of the music of silence and reflection.

In many ways, those of us who are at home without the stress of employment do,perhaps, have the opportunity to currently live The Camino more intensely then at any other time in our lives.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I actually mean this. I can remember clearly segments of five of my past lives - each one ended in a violent death, which may be why I cannot remember the others as is possible we only remember the unexpected early violent deaths? Who knows. But, to me, this has been going on forever .... life after life after life and no answer, no answers, .. each religion tries to explain the riddle of existence and all fail as they only speak of the here and now, a solid three dimensional fixed in time time 'now', they never really speak of the inner reality to reality ... but the 'this' is so much more than this .. so, nearly 73 this time around and I still have no idea what I am, why I am, nor where I am (nor what on earth or in heaven is going on) is an utter mystery to me!
so tell me, please, what is the meaning.
My take on Frankel's book is that life, in itself, does not have meaning (which I personally agree with). The purpose or meaning comes from the choices we make during our lives. My "purpose" will thus be different from yours and no one purpose is better than the other.

I found it interesting and maybe even comforting when he says that you don't have to have a lofty purpose - being a good partner, sister, mother etc etc can be enough.

Time to read his book again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.