• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How are you funding your Camino?

Easily_confused

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues (17/18)
Is anyone else using non-traditional means i.e. not your regular wages ? I ask as I'm selling off part of my nerdy collection of Scout and Guide pins and am almost halfway there. I haven't been able to do any paid work for a while due to severe depression but for reasons unknown, I've become obsessed with walking it. Which is good as I rarely find anything motivating these days. So I've decided to use it for a goal in regaining my self-confidence to fix that part of my wonky brain and to try and make me exercise. Hopefully, it'll be a big step towards getting back to work and saving for Camino #2...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Some of my friends are very good at turning credit card points into cheap flights. A couple of them have been able to fly over from the US for a very low cost and then walk the Camino. I've always thought it would be fun to be a points whiz. :)

Enjoy selling your pins and planning for your Camino. Hope walking it does help with your depression and confidence level. Peace to you and Buen Camino.
Faith

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So far I am staying with regular fundraising through savings, but I have a lot of baggage that I think I may have to/want to be rid of. I will probably either do a garage sale, or use Facebook buy and sell groups to get rid of things that have some value to someone else.

Bottle returns, Facebook buy and sell, paper delivery (with the added bonus of built in training) if you can make a regular commitment, might all be other sources of income. Doing odd jobs when you have the time and energy could work too. Craiglist adds (or your local equivalent) can help.

I will say that buying the plane ticket to get to Spain was the start of rewiring my own brain. All of the sudden, I believed it would happen - and if I could make that happen, maybe I could make other things in life happen too.

So I am walking more, and reaching out to people more. Like posting on this discussion board.

When I was severely depressed, it was extremely easy and comforting to stay home. It felt sooo hard to leave. But I noticed that I would feel better, even if all did was go outside and sit. If I could convince myself to walk 100m, or 1km or 5km, I would feel even better. I share this to express a resounding, positive vote of confidence for doing the Camino! It will be my first time this Fall.

Side note, I have started keeping a random diary/odd thoughts book. Whenever I feel momentarily stuck, I put down whatever words are in my head, starting with what I am feeling right now. Its been another useful tool, particularly when I scroll through and see how my thoughts have changed. I am really looking forward to see the changes over the Camino.

Anyways - good luck, buen camino.

I'm thinking seriously of booking the flights as soon as I know I'll be able to afford it. Just got to decide on the route- I find my depression makes it really hard to make decisions. Brain fog. Flip flopping between the Frances- pretty, popular and the Portugues- custard tarts (if you're British and love Nandos you'll understand my dilemma..)

I have, however, got my Credential and a growing stash of small kit items in our cellar, ready. My mother, brought up a Calvinist, despairs at this :) I'm an atheist but loved my side trip to St Peters when I was in Rome years ago now, when I was well.

P.S Can I also say how lovely and supportive you all are on this forum?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm a teacher in one of the lowest paid states in the U.S.

I got lucky and got tickets from DFW to London for $500, where I'll fly on to Biarritz.

I funded mine from owning and running a small business (which I just sold to free up my summer) the last five years. I'll start another business later if I need more money. Usually when I get back from even shorter backpacking trips I just want to throw all of my stuff away, so I doubt I'll be spending much when I get back.

@Easily_confused - It sounds like you might be British, but if you happen to be Canadian, check out best prices for flights to major airports in Europe (London, Madrid) from your starting point, followed by local connecting flights using Ryan Air or another short haul. Short haul flights in Europe are unbelievably cheap (at least to my Canadian eyes).

As for brain fog, I can empathize. My favourite way of making decisions is turning them into a game of chance. Coin flip. Heads Frances, tails Portuguese. If the coin flips to the wrong side, you know what your decision should be. And then embrace it.

I keep getting butterflies on which Camino to do - I can still change my mind - but I don't think I will. My gentle self keeps reminding me that whichever route I do, some days it will be the "right one", some days it will be the "wrong one", but whichever way I go, it will be my Camino experience and only mine. I can take whatever I wish from the experience. A backpack full of regret or wonder.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is anyone else using non-traditional means i.e. not your regular wages ? I ask as I'm selling off part of my nerdy collection of Scout and Guide pins and am almost halfway there. I haven't been able to do any paid work for a while due to severe depression but for reasons unknown, I've become obsessed with walking it. Which is good as I rarely find anything motivating these days. So I've decided to use it for a goal in regaining my self-confidence to fix that part of my wonky brain and to try and make me exercise. Hopefully, it'll be a big step towards getting back to work and saving for Camino #2...

Dear Easily_,

Am inspired by your courage to move from your severe depression to walking your pilgrimage. You already know you are going to do it, have a plan and now just need to let it happen!!
While I am now living on savings, I sold my home of 18 years and "retired" from my career to open up the space to start walking my pilgrimage. It all fell into place at exactly the right time. It will for you, too. One of the many miracles of healing that happen on The Way.
Not sure how I will continue to receive the support I need to keep walking (starting my next stroll through Spain next week), but have the confidence that it will come. Whether I will trade more possessions or do some independent contracting or work as a barista, no matter.
You have already started on your Way, you just need to keep walking.
Buen Camino.
Ultreia!

elle

First off, good question. I am from a poor background and live off of the wages I earn while going to school. However, you don't need too much. I've saved and budgeted about $1,000 for a 25 day camino experience. I have a tent and sleeping bag and other supplies that were either handed down or gifted to me, so that helped me save money when preparing. The budget includes the shoes I bought, the flight tickets and food/accommodation for the trip. With that in mind, I should be able to get by between sleeping free in my tent and staying in albergues. I'm not too picky about food, so I'll look for cheap and nutritious options in spite of the taste. I am also moving right before leaving for the Camino, so I will be selling several of my things at home to raise money (probably via my local Facebook community).

In terms of self-improvement, your comment prompted some rather deep thought. Bear with me. In doing the Camino, I am actively seeking a removal from my attachments to pleasure and comfort and from the loud, fast pace of the career world, so as to learn to see myself more clearly for the pure spirit that lives within me - one that does not have to rely on the sometimes falsely-affirming aspects of social interaction (and on even more serious levels: seeing the spirit that does not rely on intrigue, addiction, or on other vices to function). Ultimately, the best place to be is at peace with oneself (something my dad once told me).I hope to explore that a little more on the Camino (I'll be taking the Via de la Plata next month, God-willing).

Fortunately that mindset is also less materialistic and therefore "saves" me money. !

I sincerely hope you find what you are looking for on this journey, if you make it out to the Camino. But even if you don't, know that each day is a new adventure and there are places and things all around you waiting to be learned. You can find any healing you need closer than you think.

Omega

Last edited:
Depression. Have you gotten a complete physical including complete blood count, including liver enzymes. Just asking. You said you didn't know reason for depression. May be physical. Glad you are going to walk.
Buen camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Right. Frances it is!

My selling off of my pins is going really well- I've now raised £500 of the £800 (still need boots and a decent backpack) that I feel I need. The Camino does seem to provide...But you guys are inspiring me to be more budget conscious. I've realised I don't need to be eating out every evening or even having the pilgrim's meal in the hostel. I did this when I went backpacking through Europe many moons ago. I don't know why it didn't occur to me before. I live in the UK so I'm lucky that flights are going for around £150 in October. I appreciate that it isn't the case for all you North Americans and Australasians.

Thing is, the closer I now get to actually having no excuses to do the Camino- the more anxious I'm getting. Need to get that last cash and book those flights. Put my money where my mouth is.

Right. Frances it is!

My selling off of my pins is going really well- I've now raised £500 of the £800 (still need boots and a decent backpack) that I feel I need. The Camino does seem to provide...But you guys are inspiring me to be more budget conscious. I've realised I don't need to be eating out every evening or even having the pilgrim's meal in the hostel. I did this when I went backpacking through Europe many moons ago. I don't know why it didn't occur to me before. I live in the UK so I'm lucky that flights are going for around £150 in October. I appreciate that it isn't the case for all you North Americans and Australasians.

Thing is, the closer I now get to actually having no excuses to do the Camino- the more anxious I'm getting. Need to get that last cash and book those flights. Put my money where my mouth is.

If you live in London i have very good pack you can have,free.

Congratulations for making the decision! :) Sometimes that's the hardest part.

One idea to save some money on gear:
Before you start buying new things, first have a look around what you already have that you could use, or ask friends/family. Maybe someone could lend you a backpack, for example (it doesn't have to be a large one, since on the Francés you don't need to carry much stuff anyway). Try some shoes (trainers/boots/sandals, whatever you prefer) you already have on a test walk (20kms with fully loaded backpack, up/down hill in the woods as well as asphalt), sometimes an old pair is better than the shiny new ones from the outdoor store.

If we start something new we tend to think we have to buy new stuff for that, but often things we already own are completely adequate.

Enjoy your Camino planning!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Easily_confused - It sounds like you might be British, but if you happen to be Canadian, check out best prices for flights to major airports in Europe (London, Madrid) from your starting point, followed by local connecting flights using Ryan Air or another short haul. Short haul flights in Europe are unbelievably cheap (at least to my Canadian eyes).

As for brain fog, I can empathize. My favourite way of making decisions is turning them into a game of chance. Coin flip. Heads Frances, tails Portuguese. If the coin flips to the wrong side, you know what your decision should be. And then embrace it.

I keep getting butterflies on which Camino to do - I can still change my mind - but I don't think I will. My gentle self keeps reminding me that whichever route I do, some days it will be the "right one", some days it will be the "wrong one", but whichever way I go, it will be my Camino experience and only mine. I can take whatever I wish from the experience. A backpack full of regret or wonder.
Laurie, sometimes you just step on the Camino and you will know. Madrid or Lisbon, makes no difference, because the internal transportation is so reasonable. Case in point for me, I will be at odds around June 15 to 30... having completed the C. Aragones, I will find myself in Pamplona with a variety of options for the next 15 days. No clue, I will know once I am there. Buen Camino from another Canuck heading out May 24

Also remember you don't need expensive equipment to walk the Camino. I know on this forum quite often, quite expensive equipment is recommended, but don't look upon those recommendations as a norm. They are not.
I saw pilgrims with inexpensive equipment arriving in Santiago at the same time as others with the high end stuff. ;)
ultreia

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Right. Frances it is!

Hi @Easily_confused I have an Osprey Exos 48 backpack that is 'resting' before/if i walk the Frances again. As you live in the UK I would gladly loan it to you. I live in Scotland but travel south of the border several times in the year. Also I have a poncho, silk liner and other bits and pieces. send me a PM (private mail) if any of this might be useful to you. sounds like you need to be out there walking asap. Buen camino!

@SEB and @Irish Bernie -your offers are great and I'm very tempted. Only, I've now managed to raise the cash for my kit and everything (maybe the Camino really does provide- but even before you're actually on it?) I can start looking at a backpack for myself- I can see myself using it at other times so it won't be a one trip wonder and I'll shop around.

I've now taken the step and booked my accommodation in Leon and Santiago De Compostela. Which was both thrilling and frightening in equal measure. Aiming to book my flights next week...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@SEB and @Irish Bernie -your offers are great and I'm very tempted. Only, I've now managed to raise the cash for my kit and everything (maybe the Camino really does provide- but even before you're actually on it?) I can start looking at a backpack for myself- I can see myself using it at other times so it won't be a one trip wonder and I'll shop around.

I've now taken the step and booked my accommodation in Leon and Santiago De Compostela. Which was both thrilling and frightening in equal measure. Aiming to book my flights next week...

Buen Camino :)

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.